Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:56 AM #701 of 3592
I have to agree with Dayvon here. The price is just insane. Just because we were expecting the system to be expensive, it doesn't make it's price point any less ridiculous now. Even if a decent number of +18 year olds buy their own PS3, (don't see it happening) just think of all the kids out there that buy videogames through their parents who aren't too big on the hobby. "Hmm, 360 for about $400, Wii for [PROBEBLY] $300 or below, or PS3 for upwards of $500". Oh gee! I wonder which one they'll forgo! I think Sony's being way too cocky here and it's just gonna come back and bite them in the ass.

Personaly, I think there are three main things that can contribute to Sony holding on to their current top spot:

--1-- The exclusive AAA titles (FFXIII, MGS4, etc.)
--2-- The generaly unimformed consumer.
--3-- The rabid fanboys.

Will they be enough to keep Sony in it's current spot? I doubt it. Especially when you take into account that, with the exception of some of the fanboys, if any of these three hops over to the other side, the other two are likely to follow.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 01:59 AM #702 of 3592
In your opinion, what do you think the odds are that they'll reconsider and lower that price before launch? November is still far away, so it's possible.

The sad truth is that if you plan to wait out for the price to drop, it won't be for a long while, and certainly not before MGS4.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Technophile
With my hands...Be My Last

Member 680

Level 19.53

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 02:04 AM #703 of 3592
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
In your opinion, what do you think the odds are that they'll reconsider and lower that price before launch? November is still far away, so it's possible.

The sad truth is that if you plan to wait out for the price to drop, it won't be for a long while, and certainly not before MGS4.

I honestly don't know anymore. Maybe if Nintendo prices Wii REALLY aggressively (like $150 or something) and Sony gets A LOT of backlash, they might cut it a bit. Who knows though. I thought PSP's price would have been sliced by now, but all we got so far is just a package with less stuff in it. Tough call.

FELIPE NO
Hantei
SNAKE スニーキングスーツ

Member 618

Level 26.09

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 02:11 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 01:11 AM #704 of 3592
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
Well, on a positive outlook, by the time the system does the receive a price drop, MGS4 will most likely be a Greatest Hits title by then. Or a director's cut version at a reduced price will be released. So it's a plus situation, the only the bad thing is by that time anyone crazy about the series would have played it by then, meaning spoilers galore.

How ya doing, buddy?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 03:05 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 12:05 AM #705 of 3592
Quote:
Also Cetra, the price difference between PS2 and the Cube was never more than 100 dollars at any point in time... if the Wii sells at 200 (which could actually be a maximum price, i don't know if anything official has been said about that) We're talking about a disparity of 200-300 dollars. This is enough to buy a Wii and an X360 (since it's also getting a price drop). That's unacceptable. It won't sell.
The PS2 was roughly $450 in Japan when the Gamecube was released for roughly $250. That's $200, and the PS2 continued to dominate sales. You also seem to forget people will see the major difference in graphics quality between the PS3 and Wii while the Gamecube actually had better graphics. Graphics sell regardless if you agree with the philosophy. It's also one time purchase which is expected to last at least 4-5 years. In the end people will be more than willing to spend the extra money if it is able to offer a gaming experience above the competition comparable to the PS2 vs the Gamecube and XBox.

80% of PS2 owners sit in the 23-35 age group. This group has an insane amount of disposable income. These are the same people that are willing to pay $300 for a slick looking MP3 player. How can you say the best looking game console with the most features and the (I'll say potentially at this point just to save some argument ) most diverse software lineup can't sell for a few hundred dollars more than its competition? If anything I would be more concerned about the competition being able to convince people that it is not worth the purchase. The Playstation produce name is immense, I think far larger that most people seem to think on this board. Do I even need to mention Microsoft can't even keep up with demand for their $500 product? There is simply no reason a $500-$600 PS3 won't sell.

Also about price drops. Don't expect one before launch, but there will be plenty down the road. The manufacturing cost of Blu-Ray drives alone is expected to be cut in half every six months from now.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Cetra; May 9, 2006 at 03:19 AM.
Mobius One
X

Member 2171

Level 19.11

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 03:14 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 04:14 AM #706 of 3592
I will not pass judgement on PS3. All I'm going to say is that I love the controller, it's not as expensive as I was expecting, I will never buy a launch system ever again (too many bugs, thank you very much PS2), and Sony has my money with their first price drop (or MGS4, which ever comes first). PS3 will be my first next gen console, and now that the controller 1-ups Wii's, it may be my only next gen console. I'm not a "fan boy", simply Sony is holding all my favorite franchises hostage, and with better graphics to boot.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

[ MOBIUS ]
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 03:55 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 11:55 AM #707 of 3592
Much like the PSP, I would really like a PS3, but at the price of a small car, it's simply not offering enough must have for me to get interested just yet.

I adore Fumito Ueda, but his next project alone will not get me to pay $600 for a console and anyone who thinks they'll get anything out of the $500 system are kidding themselves.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

smellson
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 2783

Level 1.00

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 04:13 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 06:43 PM #708 of 3592
Hey all, I'm just curious... why are there only 4 lights on the controller? Didn't they say it would support up to 7 controllers?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Old May 9, 2006, 04:25 AM #709 of 3592
Originally Posted by smellson
Hey all, I'm just curious... why are there only 4 lights on the controller? Didn't they say it would support up to 7 controllers?
Shhhh... it was supposed to support 2 HDTV screens at the same time too and have 3 ethernet ports. Shhhhh...

Originally Posted by Mobius One
and now that the controller 1-ups Wii's, it may be my only next gen console.
Okay it may become your only next gen console. I'm not going to contest that, but it doesn't one up Wii's controller if you're referring to 3D movement. Please visit the following link and enlighten yourself.

http://revolution.ign.com/articles/705/705870p1.html

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 04:39 AM #710 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cetra
The PS2 was roughly $450 in Japan when the Gamecube was released for roughly $250. That's $200, and the PS2 continued to dominate sales. You also seem to forget people will see the major difference in graphics quality between the PS3 and Wii while the Gamecube actually had better graphics. Graphics sell regardless if you agree with the philosophy. It's also one time purchase which is expected to last at least 4-5 years. In the end people will be more than willing to spend the extra money if it is able to offer a gaming experience above the competition comparable to the PS2 vs the Gamecube and XBox.

80% of PS2 owners sit in the 23-35 age group. This group has an insane amount of disposable income. These are the same people that are willing to pay $300 for a slick looking MP3 player. How can you say the best looking game console with the most features and the (I'll say potentially at this point just to save some argument ) most diverse software lineup can't sell for a few hundred dollars more than its competition? If anything I would be more concerned about the competition being able to convince people that it is not worth the purchase. The Playstation produce name is immense, I think far larger that most people seem to think on this board. Do I even need to mention Microsoft can't even keep up with demand for their $500 product? There is simply no reason a $500-$600 PS3 won't sell.

Also about price drops. Don't expect one before launch, but there will be plenty down the road. The manufacturing cost of Blu-Ray drives alone is expected to be cut in half every six months from now.
all i have to say is, I think the same thing as you XD

really the ps2 was 500$can here, and yeah everyone thought it was too high and again there was not enough ps2 for everyone >.> it will prbably be the same thing for ps3. Now I'm a little concern about game price...

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 04:49 AM #711 of 3592
Sony is over.

I like how people try to justify things like a $600 price tag and stupid console names.

FELIPE NO
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 04:54 AM #712 of 3592
you know it's the same thing as someone that go buy an HDTV. evryone could say why pay that much for a tv >.> smeone that want an HDTV it's because they want better experience and technology so they are willing to pay more to have a bigger and better TV. Same thing for console, player want to have a betetr gaming experience with the latest technology so they are willing o put the cash on it...

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 05:55 AM #713 of 3592
Originally Posted by Cetra

I really don't understand everybody being so completely blown away by the price. We've all known about the specs for ages. The videocard alone would sell for the same price as the console if it were to be released as a PC card.

I also agree with Cetra. He's more or less saying things that I've said before. There are plenty of people 20+ that have the cash to buy one of these. The system will sell. It's got the graphics. It's got the games. It's got the brand name. MGS4, Grand Turismo and Final Fantasy alone more or less guarantee the system's success.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 07:07 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 02:07 PM #714 of 3592
The conference was boring, but I really can't see the huge fuss over the prices. Then again, I'm used to them. And I bet you the moon, that PS3 costs way more than 600 buck in europe. Try 7 or 800 bucks. Are there people to buy them? Hell yeah. Including me, because I'm a sucker for new stuff.

Anyway, don't mind me. Just continue bitching about the *snigger* high price.

How ya doing, buddy?

wtran168
Carob Nut

Member 385

Level 4.40

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 07:56 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 11:26 PM #715 of 3592
I'm shocked at the price for Australia which eclipses that of Europe ($10 more at $1k at current exchange rates). It's not so much the price point but for something which will only play games is not on. Sure, you you can argue that it's got BR and what not but if I wanted that functionality I would get a proper BR player. Still I know plenty of people who are all for this system no matter what the asking price and I have no doubt that their projected production units will probably not be enough.

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 07:57 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 07:57 AM #716 of 3592
Originally Posted by BurningRanger
So who's affected by this? Well, unless you are, or have in your household, a 20-something hardcore gamer, you absolutely will not be playing a Playstation 3. Period.
Originally Posted by SouthJag
But take a look at the demographics -- the average gamer is a 24 to 28 year old male, if I remember correctly. I'd imagine that most 24 - 28 year old guys are either fairly recently out of college or have been in the workforce for about a decade, possibly at the same job. Assuming that, it's likely they've got enough capacity and earning power to save up for a PS3. Hell, I'm 23 and I've got enough earning power to buy a PS3.
Problem solved.

Originally Posted by BurningRanger

600 big ones is a lot of money. And this is assuming there's any store on the face of the planet that isn't going to force you to buy their "ZOMG PLAYSTATION 3 COMBO PACKAGE! PS3 + 2 CONTROLLERS + 3 GAMES! ONLY $1000!" Especially between the launch and Xmas. You'll be lucky to find a Playstation 3 by next spring for less than a grand.
You're making one terrible assumption -- that people will be forced to buy into that package deal. Well, being an employee of EB Games/Gamestop, let me tel you this: when the 360 came out, there were no package deals. In fact, we didn't start offering package deals until March, just after MS's fiscal year ended. Not only that, but it had the prerequisite of trading in your Xbox to qualify for the deal. Yadda yadda details, suffice it to say that practically no one went through with it, at least not in my store.

No one's gonna be forced into buying a package deal from a store. "Period." You're whole rant has now been debunked. PEACE I'M OUT. Well not really.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 09:28 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 08:28 AM #717 of 3592
It's all been said by now, and I apologize in advance for redundancy, but FUCK THIS.

Six hundred GODDAMN DOLLARS for what amounts to a flashy toy? No. No chance in hell. Sony, you and I are through if you seriously expect me to pay that kind of...no, you know what? We're just through, full stop.

Maybe in 6 years (1 year per hundred dolla' hrrhrrhrrhrhrhrhr) I'll grab a used one for, what, a slim, affordable $300?

This is bullshit. I'm getting a Wii-volution and maybe a used 360 once they're sub-$200. Just picked up a DS yesterday and I'm feeling the love for the big N like never before.

I seriously hope this adversely impacts Sony's third-party developer relations. Shin Megami Tensei 4 was supposed to be on PS3. Maybe Atlus will opt for Wii or 360, since people can actually fucking afford them and Atlus doesn't have gobs to spend on promotion. They were already talking about releasing the next Magna Carta title on 360, maybe they'll do a full switch.

I'm no Microsoft fanboy, but at least the 360 has some media centre functionality, works with the iPod, and doesn't pull a pile of bullshit like this.

I was already decided on a Wiivolution, this only further solidifies that decision. Time for a romp through Nintendoland this generation.

Oh, one more thing on that note. Sony, do you have a SINGLE FUCKING ORIGINAL CELL in your festering corporate carcass? You rip off MSFT's dual-release pricing scheme (and make it shittier than it already was), and you rip off Nintendo's Rev controller (and take it from something novel to a half-assed joke). Fucking seriously, come up with your own goddamn ideas for once.

O RITE, Blu-Ray. Heeho.

I already have my big tech investment for this year: Quad-core G5 for my video work. Sony can go wallow in their own capitalist excrement for all I care.

Last edited by CelticWhisper; May 9, 2006 at 09:32 AM.
chaofan
Quarter-Circle + Paaaunch!

Member 1794

Level 21.29

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 09:32 AM Local time: May 10, 2006, 01:32 AM #718 of 3592
Originally Posted by wtran168
I'm shocked at the price for Australia which eclipses that of Europe ($10 more at $1k at current exchange rates). It's not so much the price point but for something which will only play games is not on. Sure, you you can argue that it's got BR and what not but if I wanted that functionality I would get a proper BR player. Still I know plenty of people who are all for this system no matter what the asking price and I have no doubt that their projected production units will probably not be enough.
I mean, people bought their 360's over here for the full price! People will buy it if they're desperate enough.

Uh oh, it seemed Sony got lazy with trying to differentiate itself from Microsoft. It'll all come down to this by the time PS3 comes out:

-Xbox360: Great graphics, good library of games, great online
-PS3: Great graphics (already got that), good library of games (already got that), online (already got that... Hey didn't we pay for a console that is 1 million times better than the X360?)

Wii'll be on its own
-Wii: Unique controller, decent (enough for a purchase) graphics, user-friendly and accessible to non-gamers

In other words, if Sony is intent into keeping first place, it's being tripped over by a few of its bananas. Microsoft has the chance to go no.1, and Wii will happily be singing it's song on the path it's taken.

SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 09:58 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 11:58 AM #719 of 3592
By the way, can Blue Ray players play DVDs? Or is it strictly forbidden by an unwritten law?

FELIPE NO
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 09:59 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 11:59 AM #720 of 3592
Originally Posted by Stealth
I think some people are overreacting. PS3 will still sell well, regardless what the Nintendo trolls would have you believe.
With Final Fantasy XIII and MGS4, nobody can argue that the PS3 won't have its buyers (heck, I'm buying one eventually, I'm just likely going to buy the Wii first), but if Nintendo & Microsoft ever wanted to close the gap, this is pretty easily their best opportunity in years.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 10:01 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 09:01 AM #721 of 3592
Originally Posted by SouthJag
You're making one terrible assumption -- that people will be forced to buy into that package deal. Well, being an employee of EB Games/Gamestop, let me tel you this: when the 360 came out, there were no package deals. In fact, we didn't start offering package deals until March, just after MS's fiscal year ended. Not only that, but it had the prerequisite of trading in your Xbox to qualify for the deal. Yadda yadda details, suffice it to say that practically no one went through with it, at least not in my store.

No one's gonna be forced into buying a package deal from a store. "Period." You're whole rant has now been debunked. PEACE I'M OUT. Well not really.
From a brick & mortar you won't have to get a bundle, but I challenge you to find TODAY an Xbox circle for sale on a site like Gamestop or Best Buy that is a console by itself, not bundled with either accessories or games that you don't want. Of course, no one will "force" you to buy the bundle...

And I suppose I would fall into that 20 year hardcore gamer category. I can afford to buy a PS3 at $600. But just because I can afford to, doesn't mean that I will. And it doesn't mean that I consider it a value at $600, blu ray or not. PS3 will launch at a 50% higher price than xbox circle. Most people considered $400 for xbox circle pretty high. You mean to tell me that Microsoft can release their console {which is pretty rad, there's no way around that} at $400 and be successful, but Sony has to launch at $600? Come on, get real. You might say "oh that's only a $200 difference" but it's 50% higher than its next competitor and 100% higher than both of its two previous generation's launch price.

Most amazing jew boots
I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Stealth
Indigo 1

Member 207

Level 22.37

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 10:01 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 09:01 AM #722 of 3592
Originally Posted by SketchTheArtist
By the way, can Blue Ray players play DVDs? Or is it strictly forbidden by an unwritten law?
PS3 can play BluRay, DVDs, and CDs. Not sure about other players.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 10:09 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 09:09 AM #723 of 3592
Also, the main selling points that PS3 has right now is MGS4 and FFXIII? Ok, so basically it's nearing time for people to stop complaining about Nintendo milking its most successful franchises in order to get people to buy its console, since Sony is doing the same thing {except lol what if Konami and Square decide that Microsoft will give them a better deal to release their current flagship franchise on their console, Sony has nothing going for it anymore and they can't do anything about it since lol third party franchises are all it has}.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 10:11 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 12:11 PM #724 of 3592
Originally Posted by Hantei
Well, on a positive outlook, by the time the system does the receive a price drop, MGS4 will most likely be a Greatest Hits title by then. Or a director's cut version at a reduced price will be released. So it's a plus situation, the only the bad thing is by that time anyone crazy about the series would have played it by then, meaning spoilers galore.
I doubt MGS4 will make it as a launch title or even close, as the trailer did say "2007," and PS3 launches November 2006.

PS3 also likely won't have a price drop for a year at least. Just look at the PSP, which still sells for about the same price as at launch.

TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old May 9, 2006, 10:13 AM Local time: May 9, 2006, 09:13 AM #725 of 3592
One thing we should probably clarify....

Sony won't "fail" this generation. It's not like pS3 is not going to sell. It will. They have some exclusives and quite possibly the best graphics until DirectX 10 and Windows Vista.

But, Sony won't be the most owned console. They will not have the larger consumer base that they had this last generation. It will be the game console that everyone "wishes" they had.

I'm telling you guys, this is the generation that will introduce class game. Hardcore -vs- casual. Hardcore will sell like 5-10 million consoles (in US), and casual will sell inifinitely more. Microsoft will capitalize on this, as well as Nintendo. All that we've had til now will change....

Most amazing jew boots
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread