Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] I have to buy a PS3 (Disgaea 3)

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2007, 06:28 PM #26 of 137
I have an issue when the proof of concept shots look worse than their older works. Much worse, at that. The power is there, now it's just "Okay, we're taking the same system, upping the resolution on the sprites, and throwing it on a next gen console." Nippon Ichi is becoming Electronic Arts when it comes to lazy series of games.

This looks like something that should be on a portable system. For $35 or $40. Not something on a next-gen console for $60.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:01 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2007, 05:01 PM #27 of 137
I can't even understand what the fuck this means.
And there's a whole lot more you apparently can't understand. Love that post though. Lots of... stuff there?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Rotorblade; Jul 17, 2007 at 07:04 PM.
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:14 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 01:14 PM #28 of 137
And there's a whole lot more you apparently can't understand. Love that post though. Lots of... stuff there?
Thanks for explaining what you meant by the particular sentence which I quoted.

Stop trolling and get out of my thread. Clearly you have nothing to contribute to the discussion of the game.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Elixir; Jul 17, 2007 at 07:18 PM.
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:26 PM Local time: Jul 17, 2007, 05:26 PM #29 of 137
It was something about not being a collective of ass about an untranslated press release and going on about how next gen doesn't need to be bloom and buzzword in response.

How ya doing, buddy?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jul 17, 2007, 07:32 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 10:32 AM #30 of 137

Christ, it's no surprise as to why SCCA hate 2D games. All everyone does is bitch.
SCEA hate everything though. 2D, anything developed by SCEE, Ico. They'll probably make it a PSN release for America, I guess. Which would actually be a pretty good idea. I should get paid for that idea. Enough for a pie. Delicious!

Most amazing jew boots
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 01:22 AM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 07:22 AM #31 of 137
What he means is that it doesn't have to have super fancy graphics in order to be a good game. Which is basically what you said needs to happen for every PS3 game to be successful or good. It doesn't.

Just a reminder: Talk about the game, Disgaea 3, please. None of this "man it's coming out for the ps3 and i dont like the ps3 i really hope it gets ported to the 360 imma poor fuck." stuff.
I am not buying a console for 600€ (it might be 500 in former Soviet Republics, I dunno) to play games that could be played on PS2. This entire "a game doesn't need good graphics to be good" discussion is bullshit, at least as far next generation consoles are concerned. PS3 offers HD possibilities, so the developers should use those possibilities. I mean, this is like driving a F1 race with an oldtimer.

FELIPE NO
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:51 AM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 01:51 PM 4 #32 of 137
Thanks for explaining what you meant by the particular sentence which I quoted.

Stop trolling and get out of my thread. Clearly you have nothing to contribute to the discussion of the game.
Any more member moderation from you in this thread and I'm going to ban you from it. Just because you get a hard-on for Disgaea games, doesn't mean people aren't allowed to criticise them in a discussion thread.

Most amazing jew boots
Lord Jaroh
It's all about being a Newbie

Member 2072

Level 13.42

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 09:15 AM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 09:15 AM #33 of 137
Heh, I already own a PS3, so I know that I'll be getting this game. I've loved the first 2 (although the first's story was far better than the 2nd, the second one had much more playability in it) so I definately hope this one is "more of the same", jsut better, considering it's a sequel and all.

Fancy graphics? Don't need 'em, as long as the game itself suits what is being used. Having Disgaea look like something other than the previous games would detract from the overall experience I think. I like the screen shost posted, and I hope they are harbingers of a great game.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 12:31 PM #34 of 137
I am not buying a console for 600€ (it might be 500 in former Soviet Republics, I dunno) to play games that could be played on PS2. This entire "a game doesn't need good graphics to be good" discussion is bullshit, at least as far next generation consoles are concerned. PS3 offers HD possibilities, so the developers should use those possibilities. I mean, this is like driving a F1 race with an oldtimer.
While that does make sense, I think they're putting it on a next gen system because basicly all companies begin to abandone the previous gen consoles after a certain point regardless of whether the console could handle the game or not. Heck we're lucky we're still getting PS2 games because no one is making X-Box or Gamecube games for crap.

On another note, if I did get a PS3 this game would be the only reason. I don't care about Final Fantasy 13 or Metal Gear Solid 4. Anything else I want is available on the 360.

"Out thought and out fought."
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 02:39 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 08:39 PM #35 of 137
It's good to know that you would buy a 600-bux-console for one single game which seems to be absolutely fantastic, I guess (?)

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 02:42 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 12:42 PM #36 of 137
And don't forget that it could probably run on your current console!

Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 02:42 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 08:42 PM #37 of 137
Heck we're lucky we're still getting PS2 games because no one is making X-Box or Gamecube games for crap.
As far as I know the PS2 is still the best selling console. It might possibly have been pipped by the Wii recently on sales but the userbase is gargantuan compared with any other console. For software developers to abandon the PS2 now would be commercially retarded at best. I'll be amazed if this game gets released with those screen shots as gameplay footage on the PS3 with no PS2 version.

I was speaking idiomatically.
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:06 PM #38 of 137
Is it bad that I was just thinking about how I hate graphics whores in the shower this morning?

SO THE FUCK WHAT IF IT DOESN'T MAKE FULL USE OF THE GRAPHICS CHIP.

WHO GIVES A FLYING FUCK.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:13 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 09:13 PM #39 of 137
Uhh okay well look dude I totally don't give a flying fuck about graphics at all (well okay maybe I do because honestly, why would you spend 500 dollars for a next generation high definition console if you just want to play PS2 games on it), but when people start saying things like "oh hey I'd buy a PlayStation 3 because of this awesome game called Diarrhea 3" I am already getting extremely excited over that.

Most amazing jew boots
wvlfpvp
I'm going to write the most erotic, graphic, freakiest friend fiction ever

Member 122

Level 55.02

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:19 PM #40 of 137
Most people aren't so retarded as to get a system for 1 game; just because there is one game that pushes someone over into purchasing a system doesn't mean that there's a possibility of other games on the system that they don't want/will want.

I mean, another Ico game might push me over into MUSTS HAVES but that doesn't mean that there's not a lot of stuff I'd like to play that's already out/coming out.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
It was lunchtime at Wagstaff.
Touching butts had been banned by the evil Headmaster Frond.
Suddenly, Tina Belcher appeared in the doorway.
She knew what she had to do.
She touched Jimmy Jr's butt and changed the world.
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 03:30 PM #41 of 137
It's good to know that you would buy a 600-bux-console for one single game which seems to be absolutely fantastic, I guess (?)
I would probably buy some other games as well, but without a game I care about as much as this. I just wouldn't have the motivation given I have many reasons to have hatred of Sony as of late.

As far as I know the PS2 is still the best selling console. It might possibly have been pipped by the Wii recently on sales but the userbase is gargantuan compared with any other console. For software developers to abandon the PS2 now would be commercially retarded at best. I'll be amazed if this game gets released with those screen shots as gameplay footage on the PS3 with no PS2 version.
I understand that, but as history has taught us developers abandone systems. They didn't exactly stick around for the NES when the SNES came out, or any other system down the line prior to this for that matter. You know why PS2 is the best selling system of all time? People who grew up with video games kept playing them, there are simply more gamers in the world now then ever before.

"Out thought and out fought."
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 04:35 PM #42 of 137
I'm glad they're not changing the graphics to fit the PS3's capabilities, but it's still a mystery why they'd even release it on PS3 in the first place. Like several others have already said, with these graphics there's no reason not to put it out on PS2 for much higher sales.

Hell, if they really wanted to put it on a next generation console then the 360 and Wii both have larger customer bases. The PSP might even be able to handle this game. The PS3 is probably the worst possible choice here.

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 06:17 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2007, 12:17 PM #43 of 137
Any more member moderation from you in this thread and I'm going to ban you from it. Just because you get a hard-on for Disgaea games, doesn't mean people aren't allowed to criticise them in a discussion thread.
What I said was called for completely. Comments like:

And

Quote:
Christ sake can someone translate the mother fucking press release already? I don't know how multiple people being harbingers of death and anger when it comes to an activity that's supposed to promote fun overrode UNDERSTANDING AND REASON.
Aren't criticizing or related to the game at all. Shit, the first is trolling and the second doesn't even make sense. It's bad enough people are straying with PS3 discussion over "criticizing the game" or even talking about the game in general without getting even more off topic.

And for god's sake Mush, if you don't like the game I don't know what you're doing commenting about it. The PS3's price will probably be lower in 2008, with better backwards compatibility support and more games.

Almost no consoles have AAA titles within the first 6 months of their release. And people do buy consoles for just a single game. I can't remember which one of you it was; possibly Aard or yourself, but one of you went on months ago about how "if people want to purchase a console for one game, they'll do it, it's fine, let them."

Disgaea's fans won't want the game to be in 3D. Nor will they want the battle system to change too much. It needs to maintain the overall feel from the previous games.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:13 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 05:13 PM #44 of 137
You still didn't have a clue what I was getting at. I was referring to the knee jerk reaction of "It doesn't need to be HD to be good" which some people seem to think coincides perfectly with "The system costs 600 dollars, people expect more for their dollar" as a counter point.

That's called being retarded, see also: Gamer.

To say that you can't keep the spirit of a game after a change in graphics or that a change in graphics would somehow alter, of all things, a turn based strategy's gameplay is hilarious. And I like how I stated that Nippon Ichi knows who their fan base is already.

Black Mage
Nothing beats a Sunny Day!

Member 264

Level 10.71

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:40 PM #45 of 137
Who is even talking about making the game 3D? Making better use of the hardware also includes making, I don't know, higher quality sprites.

I enjoyed most of Nippon Ichi/NISA's releases and both Disgaea games are included, but I'll be damned if I didn't think the sprites were poor even for a PS2 game. The fact that the sprites, as far as we know thus far, are recycled from the last generation when they were poor quality even then, makes me think there's something wrong.

I'm not a graphics whore, and the game might be fantastic as it is, but it's still a missed opportunity to see some fantastic use of the new hardware for high quality sprites.

Just a shame is all.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 07:41 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2007, 10:41 AM #46 of 137
I understand that, but as history has taught us developers abandone systems. They didn't exactly stick around for the NES when the SNES came out, or any other system down the line prior to this for that matter. You know why PS2 is the best selling system of all time? People who grew up with video games kept playing them, there are simply more gamers in the world now then ever before.
Yep, and that's why I can see the PS2 lasting for another few years! Sony don't kill off first party support in the blink of an eye like Nintendo and Microsoft. Three blinks, maybe four. And a lot of people own the system pretty much just for the likes of Singstar, which seems to get a new installment every three months or so now. The PSP and Wii will also keep the PS2 going. We've already seen PSP AND Wii games get ported to it. And.. MEGA DRIVE and.. TOOBIN'. Where's my Lynx collection already.

I was shocked back in late 2003 to see new releases for PSone pop up in the shops. They were just standard PAL trash but still!

Originally Posted by Elixir
Comments like:
"Christ sake can someone translate the mother fucking press release already? I don't know how multiple people being harbingers of death and anger when it comes to an activity that's supposed to promote fun overrode UNDERSTANDING AND REASON."

Aren't criticizing or related to the game at all. Shit, the first is trolling and the second doesn't even make sense.
What? =o Seems like an easy enough post to understand to me! He was asking for a translation of the press release, while making fun of goons that get angry over video games on the internet!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
surasshu
Stupid monkey!

Member 28

Level 31.10

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 08:15 PM Local time: Jul 19, 2007, 03:15 AM 1 #47 of 137
I, also, would like a translation of the thing. Thingie! Press release! That's the word. Even Neogaf was too busy arguing whether Disgaea 3 would be a lame next-gen title and whether it would be more suited to the PS2 or Wii or DS or Lynx.

Most amazing jew boots
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 09:03 PM #48 of 137
Disgaea and other 2D RPGs are just as much on a cop out to be on a PS3 and Halo 3 is on a 360. Neither are much better then their last gen source. Difference is that Disgaea 3 will have story, whittey lines, and deep gameplay to make it all worth while.

However it had better be 1080P and therefore also widescreen, with 5.1 DD so that I can hear all the 2D wonder around me. Hey Sony said that the PS3 gices us to the 4th dimension, so it had better be possible.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Jul 18, 2007, 11:36 PM Local time: Jul 18, 2007, 09:36 PM #49 of 137
Honestly for being a next generation game I was expecting at least super high resolution graphics and I hope for fluid animation here. Seriously, it looks like the developers are dropping the ball in the graphics department.

Why not have both great graphics and great gameplay and story?

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 19, 2007, 01:36 AM Local time: Jul 19, 2007, 07:36 AM #50 of 137
And for god's sake Mush, if you don't like the game I don't know what you're doing commenting about it. The PS3's price will probably be lower in 2008, with better backwards compatibility support and more games.
I so totally didn't say that I don't like the game. The only thing that kinda disturbs me is that people are so crazy they'd even go ahead and buy a PlayStation 3 for a game that doesn't really look like it's a PS3 game, hell, it doesn't even look like a PS2 game. This looks like GameBoy Color. I mean, to a certain extent, it's the game developers fault. I mean, sure, they will pretty much reach the hardcore fans, but seriously, I can't see how anyone that isn't a "hardcore fan" could possibly buy this game for PS3 (not to mention that PS3 games are more expensive than PS2/PSX games)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] I have to buy a PS3 (Disgaea 3)