Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Of Adlib, MIDI and VGM ports (split)

Spikey
Sierra Music Quester

Member 13178

Level 13.35

Sep 2006

Old Feb 18, 2007, 10:52 PM Local time: Feb 19, 2007, 02:22 PM #26 of 29
Well, sort of man, but my point wasn't to not check out Sierra games, period I love the old games and if you'd be put off playing them because their Adlib scores weren't composed for them, don't be. Look at Rimo for example. And I played them that way for years. it doesn't detract from he game- playing with a MT-32/SC-55 just adds to it.

- Spike

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Bobbin Threadba
Weaver

Member 2428

Level 2.86

Mar 2006

Old Mar 7, 2007, 11:26 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2007, 11:26 AM #27 of 29
wow... just found out about this topic, and way too advanced. I'm also a Sierra-fan games and its music (played almost all of them i think), plus I have learned lots about MIDI thanks to QuestStudios back in '97. It's just too bad that until now I still haven't got the chance to enjoy true MIDI qualities from Roland cards since they's still expensive and rare. Well I'm just grateful that QS offers the mastered tracks in digital format and boy, they do sound much more realistics than ever.

I even have tried to play back those games using DOSBOX emulator that has Roland enhanced driver (not the common DOSBOX emus) and still hasn't got to hear the exact qualities as the one produced by QS.

But even that, Adlib was still quite good MIDI counterparts and I agreed that synths were made separately for each sound driver to match each own qualities. And I have a good quality time listening to them while playing over and over again until digital musics (Audio tracks, MP3s, etc) starts to take over the market. Btw, one of these great examples was found in games like Conquest of Camelot.

oh... I'm also from INA.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
BBB
Anapan
Wark!

Member 32887

Level 1.21

Feb 2009

Old Feb 4, 2009, 10:16 AM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 08:16 AM #28 of 29
Sorry to bump an old post, but I have some relevant information. I tried to get my laptop to play back general midi so it sounds like I have an OPL2 chip. It's still not quite perfect, but I made a web page with some partial solutions I've found so-far.
Old soundcard emulation tutorial.
Edit: Oh yeah, Roldand's Virtual Sound Canvas midi driver can emulate SC-55 by choosing the SC-55 instrument set from it's tray icon (I don't think the VSTi can do the same).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Anapan; Feb 4, 2009 at 10:27 AM.
Bobbin Threadba
Weaver

Member 2428

Level 2.86

Mar 2006

Old Feb 4, 2009, 11:57 AM Local time: Feb 4, 2009, 11:57 PM #29 of 29
Wow, great site reference. Wonder if it also works with Vista, since I'm currently using Vista Ultimate since I'm buying new specs last year... :?

funny though that I got email notice from this thread after a long time... :lol:

I was speaking idiomatically.
BBB

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Of Adlib, MIDI and VGM ports (split)