Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] The Hobbit confirmed - with a twist

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2007, 10:56 PM #26 of 33
Dude is nearly 80 years old. Do you think he would be able to handle this? I mean, they would have to resort to a stunt double every time Bilbo has to move faster than a snail's pace. Do we really want that?
They did it with Christopher Lee in LotR and Star Wars, so it can be done. They used scale stunt doubles for the younger hobbits half the time anyway.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Ayos
Veritas

Member 12774

Level 31.07

Sep 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 01:37 AM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 12:37 AM 1 #27 of 33
I'm sorry but all these Tolkien films should have been lump financed into a 10 hour film with 3 intermissions called The Abridged Adventures of Tom Bombadil.
They did that, but I heard they titled it Across the Universe or something like that.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2007, 07:00 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 06:00 PM #28 of 33
Oh really? How are they supposted to start the movie if they don't have one yet?
They don't even have a script yet, Kimchi. They'll get a director when that's done.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Dec 20, 2007, 07:45 PM Local time: Dec 20, 2007, 07:45 PM #29 of 33
Very exciting! I've heard something along the lines that Sam Raimi is being considered for a directorial role... we'll just have to wait and see.
It's good that Peter Jackson and Weta studio will reprise their roles in various areas of production. That should keep a sense of continuity from LOTR to the HOBBIT.

Holm was able to play the younger Bilbo in the prologue well enough
No he didn't. He barely pulled off the part in Gollums cave in about a 5 to 10 seconds shot. He was wearing a terrible wig and the only reason it appeared decent was due to camera tricks to make him seem younger than he actually was... For a 5 to 10 second shot it may work fine, but such techniques which would be useless for a full length feature. I don't believe he would be convincing for the role of a younger Bilbo for the entire duration of a film.

What I am saying is that it will probably pay off to hire an entirely different younger, more physical actor for the role of Bilbo. After all, the Hobbit script has plenty of actio, which will likely call for a more youthful and athletic approach to the role.

I believe Bilbo was nearly 50 years old at the time that Hobbit begins.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by RainMan; Dec 20, 2007 at 07:48 PM.
XanaduTheory
Lurking your shit since 2004

Member 553

Level 4.50

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:52 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2007, 06:52 PM #30 of 33
Yes, yes, Deni. We ALL fucking know the book was slaughtered and effectively made into a hot dog. Streamlined, juicy, and goes well with your favorite condiments. The argument will be made for years and in 20 years I'm sure we'll all be saying that they could have been better. Those of us who have put the LOTR movies 1, 2 and 3 in our top 5 will be shunned and be given our own little corner of the world to be exiled in. (Perhaps where Bag End was filmed?)

That being said, I think we should all appreciate what Jackson and his cohorts did for the books in terms of adapting them for film and, though I buy it with great pain, I will gladly follow in lemming-like shambling to the movie theatres for any LOTR adaptations that Jackson has a hand in.

I think his point is that Jackson doesn't derail a Hobbit film in terms of creative output is he is not involved. Because, he really isn't the end all, be all of directors.

However, I do think the film will be derailed if Jackson doesn't direct as I think McKellen and some others didn't want to be a part of it if he didn't. So, pragmatically speaking, the film will suck if Jackson isn't there, because I don't think anyone would be willing to accept a Gandalf that isn't McKellen, but philosophically-- I don't really think Jackson is a requirement. There's plenty of good directors out there.

That said, I do think Jackson gets too much credit for Lord of the Rings. Yeah, he worked hard and certainly went beyond the requirements of merely point a camera and staging the actors, but it doesn't mean he doesn't output shit, which is I think Deni's chief point.

Not gonna lie, King Kong? Kinda thought it sucked. And wasn't his involvement similar?

And now with that said, Lord of the Rings is brilliant. I don't think someone can walk away from it and go: "Well, I didn't like it because of [blank]."

Most amazing jew boots
"You buy cheese from Europe by mail, is that correct?"

Last edited by XanaduTheory; Dec 29, 2007 at 07:54 PM.
Mithrandir
Hot Tamale

Member 1121

Level 6.05

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2008, 04:55 PM #31 of 33
Yeah King Kong was a horrendous movie. I didn't watch it to the end.

I don't think Bilbo is going to have a success like the LOTR trilogy did since it is intended to be more like a child's book instead of an epic tale.

Since he,s not directing the movie, it might be good if they choose someone that is familiar with the story and mythology of JRR Tolkien.

FELIPE NO
Not six....more like half a dozen...
Matt
I gotta get my hand on those dragonballz!1

Member 923

Level 24.97

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2008, 07:39 PM #32 of 33
But the point of Helm's Deep, sir, was to show that man alone was capable of standing against the darkness. He didn't need elves, or dwarves, or the older races. Just because man lacks the blood of Aragorn's kin, doesn't mean they would falter in the face of evil. Man is mighty, and though he will unite with the peoples of middle-earth to fight against an overwhelming enemy, he is not doomed once they've gone.
It's been awhile since I've read LotR, so I might be wrong on this.
But as I recall, the Ents came to the humans' aide. Or if not the Ents then the forest sprouted up in the battlefield or something to that effect.
Either way, I remember the humans were bailed out of the fight somehow.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2008, 07:53 PM Local time: Jan 1, 2008, 06:53 PM #33 of 33
It's been awhile since I've read LotR, so I might be wrong on this.
But as I recall, the Ents came to the humans' aide. Or if not the Ents then the forest sprouted up in the battlefield or something to that effect.
Either way, I remember the humans were bailed out of the fight somehow.
At the battle of the Hornburg, humans were bailed out by humans. Gandalf eventually leads the Rohirrim, or what is left of them, into the valley driving the orcs back. The only thing resembling ents that were there is a forest of the non moving ents, the living forest, which blocked a retreat alley. They don't aid in the fight until after it's already over. They mop up the enemies that had already been fully routed by the humans. In the movies, the elves turn the tide of battle, in the books, man turns the tide by perseverance and strength of will.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] The Hobbit confirmed - with a twist