Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Best and Worst of VAs

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Sep 17, 2007, 08:07 AM Local time: Sep 17, 2007, 04:07 PM #26 of 31
I suppose it only worked in favor for REmake, since I felt the GC version had surprisingly good VAs. I especially liked Jill, but then I like everything about Jill :3

There's nowhere I can't reach.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Sep 17, 2007, 12:21 PM #27 of 31
A thread on bad voice acting without any mention of House of the Dead? What madness is this. House of the Dead 2 in particular has some pretty horrible stuff; my favorite being Goldman who repeatedly slips into a Gomer Pyle voice mid-sentence. Also memorable lines such as:

"SUFFER LIKE G DID?"
"Thank YOU. I'll open the water gate for YOU."

Most of the games with great voice acting have already been mentioned, but I'll throw SMT: Digital Devil Saga out there too. Cielo's Jamaican accent annoyed me a little at first, but even that wasn't too bad.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Elegy
Sea King!

Member 7052

Level 11.50

May 2006

Old Oct 7, 2007, 02:37 AM #28 of 31
I think there's a lot of great voice acting for games. In particular my favorites are:

Disgaea: I really think the voices fit wonderfully for the characters. I love Laharl's voice and his laugh is absolutely perfect.

Tales of Symphonia: I've seen a lot of people bitch on the net about how the voice acting for this game is horrible, but I thought it was pretty well done. =\

Metal Gear Solid: David Hayter makes this game perfect. I don't think I could stand listening to anyone else try to voice Snake.

Worst:

Resident Evil: When I was younger I didn't give it a second thought, but revisiting RE is hilarious. Thank god for the remake.

Symphony of the Night: I also didn't think about it much while playing this game when I was younger, but all the jokes and 4chan memes about the bad voice acting make me happy. =P

Star Ocean 2: PEAR INTO PEACHES! That's all I can say for this one. >>

Valkyrie Profile is really just a mixed bag. Some of the voices are completely awesome (such as Lezard and Lenneth), but then you you have characters like Suo who make you cringe (he seriously sounds like a retarded cosplayer trying his best to sound cool).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
The_Griffin
Nostalgia and Crossovers

Member 266

Level 32.27

Mar 2006

Old Oct 7, 2007, 04:05 AM Local time: Oct 7, 2007, 02:05 AM #29 of 31
Sorry, but Tales of Symphonia is... well, it's "meh." I really didn't like the voice acting, although that may less be the acting than it is how all the characters in the game were so one-dimensional. Even so, the acting wasn't great. Something's wrong when a guy can happily chat with a friend one minute, then yell angrily at his opponent the next, and have no fucking change in the volume of his voice.

I was speaking idiomatically.
CelticWhisper
We've met before, haven't we?

Member 805

Level 19.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2007, 11:51 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2007, 10:51 PM #30 of 31
Fuckin' a, Legacy of Kain had the best VOs since the LucasArts DOS era.

For best, I'll put forth Silent Hill 3 and Eternal Darkness. ED mostly because I simply have no memory of cringing at any given point during the game, and I seem to recall certain segments having some pretty good VOs. SH3, while the impressions themselves were good, gets points for having character interplay flow so well. The scene between Heather and Vincent ("Don't talk about my dad like that!") comes to mind.

Oh, and System Shock 2, because SHODAN still appears in my nightmares. Enough to make me believe that I am, indeed, an extraordinary specimen of a papa...pa--pathetic species-species.

Worst:
Phantasy Star fucking Universe. I don't think there was a single bearable character voice in the whole goddamn thing. Then again, there wasn't a single bearable character in the whole damn thing, so maybe that explains a thing or two.

And can I nominate one for "VO crew doing their best with shitty dialogue?" Zone of the Enders: The 2nd Runner. I got the impression that the voice talent was...well, really talented, and they emoted well, but the scripts they were asked to read were so fucking bad it hurt. "The will of metatron?" Uhm, kay, you said it was a goddamn MINERAL. "My pals?" Who the fuck talks like that to someone who murdered your best friend? Does this friend not have a name?" And people tend to anthropomorphize their flying robots a bit too much. I love when one character flies past and the robot turns its head to look...when the pilot is sitting IN THE ROBOT'S CROTCH. But anyway, getting off topic. The voice staff sounded like they were trying their damnedest to make the script not suck, but suck it did. Least it had good gameplay.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

It is not my custom to go where I am not invited.
Sarmoti
Chocobo

Member 262

Level 14.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 12, 2007, 02:04 PM #31 of 31
"Ha, ha... you almost became... a... Jill sandwich"

Got to give the original Resident Evil a nod for some of the most laughably stilted dialogue I've encountered in gaming. There's no doubt worse out there, and in a way it added to the charm of the game, but it was pretty terrible.
"Ladies first. Go first Jill!"(or something like that)

Good Voice Acting
Wild ARMS 5 - While you didn't hear them talk all that much, the parts in the game that did have VAing were great! There were some stinkers along the way(Mona Marshall, who typically is a pretty good actor, SUCKS. Her work as Ted was loads better). But none could compare to Dave Wittenberg's Kartikeya!.

FELIPE NO

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Best and Worst of VAs