Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Gatorade. Is it really better for you than water?

SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 01:43 PM #26 of 55
Quote:
High acidity levels designed to keep sports drinks on the shelf longer can dissolve tooth enamel, the hard dentine underneath and expose the pulp of the tooth, a study found. In fact, sports drinks meant to rehydrate the body are up to 30 times more erosive to your teeth than water
http://www.mercola.com/2005/mar/26/sports_drinks.htm

Quote:
A study by the University of Maryland Dental School has found that sports drinks contain acids that stimulate the breakdown of tooth enamel, leading to cavities. The enamel damage caused by sports drinks was from 3 to 11 times as great as that caused by cola-based drinks. The acid in the drinks causes the pH level in the mouth to drop, which stimulates the life cycle of mouth bacteria that cause cavities.
http://www.newstarget.com/006110.html

There's nowhere I can't reach.
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 01:54 PM Local time: May 28, 2006, 08:54 PM #27 of 55
Oh haha SemperFidelis you beat me to the punch.

shining_force, you might want to take your own advice.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
shining_force
Finch Reign So

Member 347

Level 4.31

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 01:54 PM Local time: May 28, 2006, 10:54 AM #28 of 55
Quote:
High acidity levels designed to keep sports drinks on the shelf longer

I should clarify my point. Gatorade doesn't need to be and in fact is not acidic in order to dissolve the sodium and potassium. Whether it is for some other reason or not wasn't my concern, but it seems you've clarified that. I was just taking issue with the ridiculous chemistry claim.

Quote:
What is funny shining_force is that sports drinks are more acidic that Coke, not the other way around.
Yes I can see they are, but not for the ridiculous reason you said. That all I intended to refute.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 01:57 PM Local time: May 28, 2006, 08:57 PM #29 of 55
They make it that way to keep the electrolytes from precipitating. Hence to keep it dissolved they make the drink more acidic. Sorry if I didn't give a detailed enough comment on that O_o. I didn't forsee anyone arguing with me on something that takes a 2 second google search to confirm.

I was speaking idiomatically.

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old May 28, 2006, 11:18 PM Local time: May 29, 2006, 02:18 PM #30 of 55
Water is superior to 'sports drinks'.

Anything any company says about any sports drink will rot the mind and the teeth.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 02:10 AM Local time: May 31, 2006, 02:10 AM #31 of 55
I see, never imagined it to be so. Well, I normally don't drink sport drinks, water during work outs and usually juices during meals. But I do see many athletes drinking sport drinks like water for lunch and dinner. Crazy.

FELIPE NO
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 04:44 PM Local time: May 31, 2006, 11:44 PM #32 of 55
Originally Posted by Cal
Water is superior to 'sports drinks'.

Anything any company says about any sports drink will rot the mind and the teeth.
I agree, but sports drinks do have a purpose and a usage where they are superior to water and that is only when you are in need to quickly replace lost salt and other electrolytes from your body ie field exercises in the military, running a marathon, distance swimming, sporting events etc. Most people never do these sort of activities so they are needlessly destroying their enamel.

Dee: You might want to let them know that they are pointlessly hurting themselves by drink sports drinks all the time.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

TigerRaptorFX

Member 7749

Level 5.11

May 2006

Old May 31, 2006, 07:49 PM #33 of 55
I prefer Powerade over Gatorade any day. For some reason Gatorade just taste to watered down for me.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Lady Miyomi
Holy Chocobo

Member 796

Level 33.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 1, 2006, 08:19 PM #34 of 55
I used to hate Gatorade back when I ran track in high school. It tasted like colored water. Now, with the new flavors, it tastes quite good. However, I was unaware that it's bad for you as some of you mentioned.

Maico
─ ─╘Don't rob me of my ─ ─ hate: It's all I have.

Member 4527

Level 17.53

Apr 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 03:58 AM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 01:58 AM #35 of 55
I don't know about you guys, but gatorade makes me more thirsty after I drink than before. I stick to the water.

Most amazing jew boots
eriol33
nunally vi brittania commands you...

Member 1131

Level 41.71

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 07:08 AM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 07:08 PM #36 of 55
Or I recommend you to drink Pocari Sweat instead. It's really helpful when you're thirsty or having dehydration. I always drink it in sunny day. It has slight taste of citrus lemon too (I said slight since the taste is not too strong).

pocari sweat:

You all think you got good deals, huh? Ha! You frugal and observant shoppers have more to learn.

None of that approaches this:
*censored for sake of signature size*
The Mr. Methane CD, purchased over ebay for .01¢. Yeah, free shipping. This guy performs all sorts of neat stuff, including the doot doot, doot doot from the Blue Danube.

Allow me to share a track from this CD. Here ya go.
I think he should have paid you .01¢ instead.

Last edited by eriol33; Jun 8, 2006 at 07:11 AM.
Marco
Rossi

Member 598

Level 17.68

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 07:20 PM #37 of 55
Gatorade has so much sugar. It is fucking awful for you.

Besides, ever heard of a chef that includes "high fructose corn syrup" in his food for taste?

IT TASTES NASTY.

Cobra Commander
Gots to Dominate!

Member 7345

Level 13.25

May 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:10 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 05:10 PM #38 of 55
well I usually stick to fruit drinks that contain no fruit in them...HAHAHAHAHA, but sine this is about water or gatorade, then I guess mine would be water. I usually get hydrated very easily (just a couple of gulps)

SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2006, 07:08 AM #39 of 55
Gatorade does really quench your thirst ONLY after you're tired. I've drank gatorade with my lunch before and it really did just make me more thirsty. However, a nice gatorade after the pull-ups and mile run, most done and fastest ran in my class mind you, a gatorade really hit the spot.

FELIPE NO
"We Stole the Eagle from the Air Force, the Anchor from the Navy, and the Rope from the Army. On the seventh day, while God rested, we over-ran his perimeter and stole the globe, and we've been running the show ever since. We live like soldiers, talk like sailors, and slap the hell out of both of them. WARRIORS BY DAY, LOVERS BY NIGHT, PROFESSIONALS BY CHOICE, AND MARINES BY THE GRACE OF GOD."
JackTheRipper
fuck

Member 1296

Level 19.17

Mar 2006

Old Jun 10, 2006, 04:51 PM #40 of 55
gatorade isn't meant to be drank as a regular drink. It has electrolytes in it which water doesn't have, so after an intense workout, gatorade rehydrates you better, but if you drink gatorade like with your lunch or something and you are not dehydrated it can actually dehydrate you because the electrolytes that dont need replenishing absorb the water.

Most amazing jew boots
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Jun 11, 2006, 03:37 PM Local time: Jun 11, 2006, 05:07 PM #41 of 55
If I am really thirsty, the a gatorade wil do it, but I prefer the lightly favored bottled water.

How ya doing, buddy?
electric_eye
PIMPLE

Member 7372

Level 18.98

May 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 02:03 AM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 08:03 AM #42 of 55
Originally Posted by eriol
Or I recommend you to drink Pocari Sweat instead. It's really helpful when you're thirsty or having dehydration. I always drink it in sunny day. It has slight taste of citrus lemon too (I said slight since the taste is not too strong).

pocari sweat:

Pocari Sweat is nice. I only get to drink it while I'm here in Hong Kong, my dad always goes on about it.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 12, 2006, 03:44 PM Local time: Jun 12, 2006, 01:44 PM #43 of 55
Originally Posted by Jack The Ripper
gatorade isn't meant to be drank as a regular drink. It has electrolytes in it which water doesn't have, so after an intense workout, gatorade rehydrates you better, but if you drink gatorade like with your lunch or something and you are not dehydrated it can actually dehydrate you because the electrolytes that dont need replenishing absorb the water.
As far as I know, most water has various impurities (sodium and potassium chloride at the very least), so there are electrolytes in it. It might just be in lower concentrations than gatorade.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Fatt
When the moon hits your eye...

Member 238

Level 16.01

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:12 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 03:12 PM #44 of 55
I dillute a powdered electrolyte-heavy substance in to fresh water. It looks like piss, it tastes like water, and it fuckin boosts your energy like nobody's business. I can't stand those energy drinks like red bull, gatorade, and powerade because they have so much sugar and other additives that they actually hurt you more than they help you. If you want to check out what I drink, go to a vitamin store and ask for something electrolyte heavy. Look at the ingredients to make sure you know what you are getting yourself in to (bring a gatorade nutritional value label if you need a comparison).

Please ignore this portion as it is completely wrong [as far as for your teeth, I have just started working for a dentist, and just about any commercial drink is generally bad for your teeth. Just brush and floss regularly, and you can drink all the coke, gatorade, and powerade you want.] I feel the need to leave it up to stand by the fact I made a big error.

Last edited by Fatt; Jul 1, 2006 at 06:46 PM.
SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 03:42 PM #45 of 55
Fatt, that's some terrible advice your giving about brushing and flossing reversing or halting enamel damage from commercial drinks. It's quite the opposite, really. If you drink coke and brush your teeth right afterwards, you're enamel is nearly gone from the coke and you're destroying even more by brushing your teeth. It's better to just drink coke and these things in moderation.

Torte
Vampire Killer

Member 4126

Level 15.25

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 07:13 PM Local time: Jun 22, 2006, 12:13 PM #46 of 55
You must be a dental ___ eh Semper?
But anyway, water is free, so I'd take that anyday

SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 07:46 PM #47 of 55
I can't say that I know much about dentistry, but I pick up facts here and there from different articles I read.

How ya doing, buddy?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:43 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 07:43 PM #48 of 55
After just having some food poisoning and not being able to hold solid foods down for two days, I have to say that the Poweraid Option or Propel Fitness Water were both really good. I tried normal Gatorade, but it was too sugary and would upset my stomach. The others did a pretty good job of keeping me full and hopefully somewhat nourished since I've been driving ten hours a day and couldn't eat anything else.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 09:59 PM Local time: Jun 21, 2006, 09:59 PM #49 of 55
A shame =( I drink a 32oz bottle of Lemon Lime Gatorade every day after my three-mile run. I'd hate to go on strictly water though ;__; I love the taste of Gatorade and I don't drink soda as it is. Didn't know it ruined your teeth so damn much. Ugh. What to drink now... >< I can't find the flavored water things mentioned on page one *anywhere*. Gatorade & Powerade are about all there is around here. Can't tell ya how damn good a frosty Gatorade tastes after a good workout. I'm gonna miss it ;___;

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

SemperFidelis
Good Chocobo

Member 555

Level 18.44

Mar 2006

Old Jun 21, 2006, 11:36 PM #50 of 55
Drink it in a way so it doesn't touch your teeth as much or something.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > I make a bitch sandwich > Gatorade. Is it really better for you than water?