Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

What is with the popularity of sandals and flip-flops?

Megaman X
wtf mate?

Member 774

Level 3.20

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:12 PM #26 of 100
I like flip-flops/sandels and sneakers equally.

My feet get really hot in the summer time, especially if I do a lot of walking. It might be from being slightly fat, but the sweaty feet thing gets on my nerves. I wear my adidas flip flops year round. I'll even wear them with socks in the winter time. My leather flip flops are comforterable. Like others have said, I like my feet not being constricted so much.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Political Science student who switched to Music Education. Quite a switch, no?

University of South Carolina - Go Cocks!
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 23, 2007, 11:48 PM Local time: Apr 23, 2007, 09:48 PM #27 of 100
Complain of racial discrimination. They're infringing upon your right to follow in the path of the many generations of sandal-wearing Mexicans before you!
That would require me to wear "huaraches" and as much as I love them I like my Reefs. Every pair of them that I have is comfortable beyond belief and I wear the 6 pairs I have on clockwork-like rotation.

How ya doing, buddy?
A4: IN THE DUNGEONS OF THE SLAVE LORDS
6C. Kobold's Kitchen

Member 773

Level 21.70

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:53 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 03:53 AM #28 of 100
I by far prefer to go barefoot whenever possible and flip flops cut the difference between between barefoot and not getting stabbed by goatheads or getting kicked out of food establishments quite nicely. It's always a pain when you have to where constricting shoes.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Lady, I was gonna cut you some slack, cause you're a major mythological figure but now you've just gone nuts!
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:55 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 09:55 AM 1 #29 of 100
I dunno. A huge disaster are those guys who wear flip flops although they have extremely ugly / dirty feet. I seriously don't get it. Why do they do that?!

I was speaking idiomatically.
ramoth
ACER BANDIT

Member 692

Level 35.27

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:19 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 01:19 AM #30 of 100
Mush, not everyone is out to look good. Some people just want to be comfortable.

Anyway, it feels nice to have a breeze blow across your toes. If at all possible, I avoid wearing shoes inside homes. It just feels weird, probably because it is customary to take off your shoes before going inside homes in Hawaii.

Oh, and pretty much everyone wears slippers (as we call them) back home.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Thanatos
What?!

Member 1546

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:04 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 06:04 PM #31 of 100
Cause it's farking airy. Yes.

I like my legs feeling the cold breeze. Better than letting it feel all stuffed in my shoes and socks

FELIPE NO
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:46 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 01:46 PM #32 of 100
Mush, not everyone is out to look good. Some people just want to be comfortable.
Yeah, but they could at least clean their feet and clip their toenails when they have to wear flip flops, don't you think? There ARE people watching your feet.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
DarkLink2135
River Chocobo

Member 5122

Level 24.05

Apr 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 08:55 AM #33 of 100
I think it's mostly people are too lazy to put on shoes. Me, I go a step further than that and just skip out on the flip flops =/. Just grab my laptop and head off to class, lol.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

FGSFDS!!!
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:23 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 08:23 AM #34 of 100
There ARE people watching your feet.
Yeah... I'm not out for a minor part in a Tarantino movie so I'll keep my feet any way I damn please.

nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 10:31 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 08:31 AM #35 of 100
I'm in Philippines. So it's either flip-flops or barefoot. Fip-flops is the standard footwear in this country. Almost everyone wears it if they're just at home or in the neighborhood. Some even wear it when going to the mall, etc.
Yup yup. I prefer wearing flip-flops aka tsinelas aka thongs, but I don't get to as much now since I think it might be inappropriate for the work environment; but I wore it all the time in school except in winter. I do have aboue 12 pairs of tsinelas. I had more but gave them away. I intend to get more this summer. <3 But for shoes, I usually wear skate shoes.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
waka waka

sanemonkeytwitterlast.fmgfwbacklogyoutubexbox
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 11:50 AM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 09:50 AM #36 of 100
Oh, and pretty much everyone wears slippers (as we call them) back home.
Only person in this thread to call them by their proper name. Appropriating vemp's post for my own purposes:

I grew up in Hawai'i. So it's either slippers or barefoot. Slippers are the standard footwear in this state. Almost everyone wears it if they're just at home or in the neighborhood. Some even wear it when going to the mall, etc.
I only wear shoes if I'm going to be doing a lot of walking, because my shoes have awesome support, or if it's below freezing. Although that's not a given, since I've walked on snow with slippers before.

I just like being able to kick them off, since shoes interfere with most of the twenty million sitting positions I'll go through on any given day. And, of course, there's also the fact that I'm a lazy, lazy sumbitch. Heaven forfend I spend an extra minute getting ready.

Most amazing jew boots
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:15 PM 2 #37 of 100
Quote:
What is with the popularity of sandals and flip-flops?
They're comfortable to the people wearing them. If they're not comfortable to you, don't wear them.

I'd like to take this moment to reflect on this behavior of the under-socialized, usually adolescent male. That is to say, convincing people that they aren't actually comfortable / convenienced / enjoying whatever it is that they're doing. Look here:

Quote:
I don't get why people say they are comfortable and keeps your feet cool. For one, feet get hot, but it isn't something that you ever notice. Out of all the parts of your body, feet being hot is the least noticable and most tolerable. To me, feet getting hot has never ever bothered me once in my entire life. It just isn't something that makes a person uncomfortable.
Look at how readily he makes that decision for the rest of society, even though keeping your feet cool and dry is so important Sgt. Dan mentions it.

Look at this entire thread. With no regard for how he looks, he asks basically the entire world why anyone would hold this opinion he considers dull and stupid, even though he's spoken to other people on the topic before. He's not convinced that they're actually telling the truth, which is why he asks us.

Another example: someone (here) asked why broads take so long in the can, and so I told him. He then went on to tell me how I could be more efficient in my bathroom time. If you're having trouble understanding how retarded that is, you're the problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if everyone else is doing something and you don't understand why, and you don't accept the answers given by someone, just believe them. They're probably not lying to you, and if you have such a mental deficiency that foot sweat is something you prefer, you'd be better off keeping it to yourself.

Most amazing jew boots
Alice
For Great Justice!

Member 600

Level 38.35

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:22 PM #38 of 100
Anything other than flip flops or sandals looks very stupid with shorts. That's why I wear them. That, and the fact that my feet feel FREE when they're not stuffed inside a bunch of sweaty layers of fabric.

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:33 PM #39 of 100
Anything other than flip flops or sandals looks very stupid with shorts.
I guess I look stupid a lot then.

Note: I don't wear sandals, but I don't have to deal with shoelaces either. Damn things.

Most amazing jew boots
whinehurst
It's a Psudonym.

Member 9766

Level 14.57

Jul 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 02:58 PM #40 of 100
Fucking word on that one. I got a friend who wears boots with shorts. Boots!. And he's a narcissist! Every time i see him i think: "man, what are you doing? You look stupid as hell."

Temari
I'm changing the world. And you're gonna help.

Member 16658

Level 28.10

Dec 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:22 PM #41 of 100
I prefer sneakers, mostly because I can run in sneakers. I feel like I cant move fast if I'm wearing sandals.

I do wear them when I go to take a shower, or the beach, or something like that. But not constantly.

Meth
I'm not entirely joking.

Member 565

Level 26.04

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 03:24 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 02:24 PM #42 of 100
...They're down to earth....

I'd prefer going barefoot, but thats not allowed in public so much. I used to walk barefoot in high school like an asshole, though. Summertime would come around and there I would be, walking the halls without shoes.
You're such a hippie.

I live in Phoenix. Sneakers are only for going to the gym. Flip-flops are standard nearly year round.

Originally Posted by whinehurst
Fucking word on that one. I got a friend who wears boots with shorts. Boots!. And he's a narcissist! Every time i see him i think: "man, what are you doing? You look stupid as hell."
Maybe your friend wishes he was Steve Irwin.

DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:34 PM #43 of 100
They're comfortable to the people wearing them. If they're not comfortable to you, don't wear them.

I'd like to take this moment to reflect on this behavior of the under-socialized, usually adolescent male. That is to say, convincing people that they aren't actually comfortable / convenienced / enjoying whatever it is that they're doing. Look here:

Look at how readily he makes that decision for the rest of society, even though keeping your feet cool and dry is so important Sgt. Dan mentions it.

Look at this entire thread. With no regard for how he looks, he asks basically the entire world why anyone would hold this opinion he considers dull and stupid, even though he's spoken to other people on the topic before. He's not convinced that they're actually telling the truth, which is why he asks us.

Another example: someone (here) asked why broads take so long in the can, and so I told him. He then went on to tell me how I could be more efficient in my bathroom time. If you're having trouble understanding how retarded that is, you're the problem.

I guess what I'm trying to say is, if everyone else is doing something and you don't understand why, and you don't accept the answers given by someone, just believe them. They're probably not lying to you, and if you have such a mental deficiency that foot sweat is something you prefer, you'd be better off keeping it to yourself.
I think you are being way too analytical. Your depiction of me is wrong. This is not a debate and I'm not trying to turn it into one as you are implying. I just basically want to see who here wears sandals and flip-flops and why. On a community you can get more opinions than just chatting with a couple friends. It has nothing to do about truth and convincing. That is just you trying to analyze it too thoroughly.

I guess I could've worded some things better, but when I said "It just isn't something that makes a person comfortable" I meant for myself. Some people talk about themselves, but make it sound like they are talking about others. It is just a speech discrepancy.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 04:45 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 04:45 PM #44 of 100
Flip flops are essential for a college wardrobe, at least in my opinion. There are too many times when I just need to, for example, walk down the hall to use the bathroom at midnight, and it's so much easier to slip flip flops on rather than walk down there in sneakers (who the hell wears them all day anyway? talk about unhealthy) or use my under the desk slippers (heck no) or forbid go there barefoot. So I use my cheapo flip flops for those tasks.

Not to mention it's pretty normal to wear flip flops - although I personally think it too casual for me to go to class in. I do have a pair of "designer" flip flops (CK), it's made of pink leather and it feels great to slip into that pair when your feet are warm and the cool leather hits the soles of your feet... I'm weird. I also think it's healthy to let your feet breathe, like, I wouldn't wear a cap all day. I wear casual sneakers only if it fits my outfit, and no way will I wear my athletic running sneakers to class - don't wanna wear them down if I don't need to use 'em is my philosophy. Boots are heavy, heels are a pain - flip flops have the convenience.

That's why sandals have been around for so long. Easy to make, nice to wear, great looking... The sandal has been around since ancient civilizations. I don't see why there's all the sandal hate.

How ya doing, buddy?
cstrife0777
Now known as Kishi

Member 9974

Level 8.06

Jul 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:37 PM #45 of 100
I wear sneakers most of the time. Flip-flops when I need to let my dogs out or grab something from my car. I hate wearing sandals since my childhood after tripping over so many things and then busting them up eventually. A waste of money IMHO.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Such a Lust for Revenge!
Where's Kostaki!?

Member 9287

Level 40.98

Jul 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 05:49 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 04:49 PM #46 of 100
I wear both more often here in this country. I usually wear them with socks though, which tends to get me odd looks. I'm pretty sure having your feet free that way can keep your body cooler... Something about your feet and head (bald people have it best) retaining heat. And your pubes, which you're more than welcome to trim down.

X_X

Acro-nym
Holy Chocobo

Member 635

Level 32.46

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:30 PM #47 of 100
Flip flops are essential for a college wardrobe, at least in my opinion. There are too many times when I just need to, for example, walk down the hall to use the bathroom at midnight, and it's so much easier to slip flip flops on rather than walk down there in sneakers (who the hell wears them all day anyway? talk about unhealthy) or use my under the desk slippers (heck no) or forbid go there barefoot. So I use my cheapo flip flops for those tasks.
I just put on my sneakers. I imagine that it doesn't take any longer than putting on flip-flops.

Addendum to former posts: I don't like flip-flops and just have never worn sandals. Sometimes, it's hard to distinguish between the two. I suppose I might wear sandals if I found a pair I like.

FELIPE NO
Dee
Dive for your memory

Member 1285

Level 26.51

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:34 PM Local time: Apr 24, 2007, 07:34 PM #48 of 100
It depends on your sneakers. I don't wear slip on sneakers (shudder), and I tie my shoes like normal people. =p I like them on fit not loose.

Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Apr 24, 2007, 07:54 PM #49 of 100
I think you are being way too analytical. Your depiction of me is wrong. This is not a debate and I'm not trying to turn it into one as you are implying. I just basically want to see who here wears sandals and flip-flops and why. On a community you can get more opinions than just chatting with a couple friends. It has nothing to do about truth and convincing. That is just you trying to analyze it too thoroughly.

I guess I could've worded some things better, but when I said "It just isn't something that makes a person comfortable" I meant for myself. Some people talk about themselves, but make it sound like they are talking about others. It is just a speech discrepancy.
Just that paragraph I quoted was pretty lol. You can understand my position, the last thing I want to hear about is people discussing their foot sweat.

Schadenfreude
grave danger

Member 819

Level 17.58

Mar 2006

Old May 8, 2007, 09:57 AM Local time: May 8, 2007, 10:57 PM #50 of 100
I call flip-flops "slippers". I think that's the proper term, but I don't know. That's what they're called over here, at least.

I wear slippers most of the time when I'm out of the house. While I don't find sneakers all that uncomfortable, I prefer the feeling of wearing slippers. Perhaps it's the feeling of open-ness that slippers provide. I really only wear sneakers (or, in my case, skate shoes) when I go to class or whenever I need less... "casual" footwear.

Not that sneakers/skate shoes are all that formal, but hey, they cover the entire foot!

(also, I hate sandals)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > What is with the popularity of sandals and flip-flops?