Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Looking for a job

Wanzer Radio
Banned

Member 26571

Level 5.11

Nov 2007

Old Nov 28, 2007, 09:24 PM Local time: Nov 28, 2007, 06:24 PM 1 #26 of 39
I got a job, today. Hired on the spot. Knocked 'em dead. They told me that they appreciate my calm and collected nature. I'll admit I was tactful. Being hung over really helped. You see, my gaze pierced anything it touched, so I appeared to be deadly interested in the speaker. I had a headache so I didn't speak unless spoken to and my responses were direct and focused. I didn't go on any tangents, ask any annoying questions or seem too enthusiastic. Trying to sound interested is a clumsy endeavor. Simply look the part and tell them what they want to know. They'll take you more seriously. Now if you'll excuse me, I have a bong to load.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2007, 05:25 AM Local time: Nov 29, 2007, 12:25 PM #27 of 39
Be glad they didn't give you a personality test and then not tell you what it meant. We do that. It is a good indicator of what kind of person they are and whether they fit what we are looking for.
I don't understand, they did give me a personality test, but I also still don't know what kind of person they want me to be.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Gumby
DANGEROUS WHEN WET

Member 1389

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2007, 02:18 PM Local time: Nov 29, 2007, 09:18 PM #28 of 39
I don't understand, they did give me a personality test, but I also still don't know what kind of person they want me to be.
LOL usually those kinds of tests show what area you are strong in. Like leadership, attention to details, team work, etc. They aren't exact but they do tend to show if you are the general fit for the job.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

"In a somewhat related statement. Hugging fat people is soft and comfy. <3" - Jan
"Jesus, Gumby. You just...came up with that off the top of your head?" - Alice
Hachifusa
Pre-defined Avatar~

Member 121

Level 17.12

Mar 2006

Old Nov 29, 2007, 04:54 PM Local time: Nov 29, 2007, 02:54 PM #29 of 39
You know, I read somewhere that you should go to the gym before your interview, even if you never go to the gym. It pumps some life into you, and - assuming you shower and all of that after - gives you a healthier glow. Eh, couldn't hurt.

And remember -if you're still looking for a job- to utilize your strengths. Don't simply dismiss the typical "Be enthusiastic!" because you're serious. As Wanzer Radio pointed out, if you're serious and bring it into the interview, they'll respect you. And showing interest in the position isn't laughing or being annoying - you can be deadly serious and show interest.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Draz
Not-So-Tortured Poet

Member 5387

Level 7.02

Apr 2006

Old Dec 6, 2007, 03:51 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2007, 01:51 PM #30 of 39
This whole topic is interesting to someone who has yet to be granted the grace of an interview for any position.

I have some speculations about my general 'unemployability', but I suppose it would be nice to get the confirmation of the majority of the populace on those as well.

I live out in the middle of nowhere, so to speak, a half hours drive between either of the two towns that are considered 'civilization'. I don't have my own method of transportation, thus my only way into town is the bus, which runs, obviously, on a very tight and infrequent schedule. I'm correct in thinking this is hampering my employability, no? I just wish it wouldn't be such a big factor. If people have a job that needs doing, and I'm available at the hours required, shouldn't they be inclined to hire me? Not saying that's the ONLY factor, but it should be an important one.

The other thing is... older people I know constantly suggest that it is my HAIR keeping me from getting a job. I have hair that is quite long, maybe 3/8ths down my back - they say it makes me look like a druggie, which is ironic, as I'm completely straight-edge and have never even touched alcohol all my life. I see teenagers with face piercings and spiked hair working fast-food places all the time - so is it likely that long hair is really going to be shooting myself in the foot so much?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Signatures are so overrated...

Pretentious Music Blather. <--- Music snobbery, not currently updated. Worth reading anyway.
Smelnick
Banned

Member 12225

Level 26.09

Sep 2006

Old Dec 6, 2007, 05:40 PM Local time: Dec 6, 2007, 05:40 PM #31 of 39
I love interviews. They always go good for me. I'm a very outgoing person and love to talk. My communication skills are golden(in spoken conversation I mean), and people generally love me. The only interview where I wasn't offered the job was with Staples, and that was merely because I had zero sales experience. Make sure you have genuine interest in working at a place, and never give the reason 'I just need money'. They wanna hire long term, and if they think you just want money and then are gonna quit, they won't hire.

FELIPE NO
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2007, 01:25 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2007, 02:25 PM #32 of 39
The other thing is... older people I know constantly suggest that it is my HAIR keeping me from getting a job. I have hair that is quite long, maybe 3/8ths down my back - they say it makes me look like a druggie, which is ironic, as I'm completely straight-edge and have never even touched alcohol all my life. I see teenagers with face piercings and spiked hair working fast-food places all the time - so is it likely that long hair is really going to be shooting myself in the foot so much?
Employers are conservative by nature. Short cropped hair is tidy, makes the person look less unique and wont present a safety risk.
There are plenty of employers who wont care of course, shops that want to be trendy, labour hire companies that take anyone etc. but for your run of the mill manager who expects his workers to be coming into contact with the public reguarly OR operating machinery taht hair could be caught in, long hair isn't something they want to see.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Dec 7, 2007, 09:32 AM Local time: Dec 7, 2007, 04:32 PM #33 of 39
So when you have the job, what's the best way to keep this job? And would you choose a big company or a smaller company?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
war
Carob Nut

Member 27210

Level 4.12

Dec 2007

Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:52 AM #34 of 39
Forget MSN interviews...

what kind of job are you applying for?

Anyway, you're getting the interviews, so you know your resume/cover letter is doing it's job. And you know what your problems are. Come up with some pre-prepared enthusiasm and focus (anticipate questions), dress well, and show up 15 minutes early. Have a coffee near the place if you're that worried about being late. Have questions ready, because it makes you look interested, and if the interviewing is talking you can just nod and look interested. Send a thank-you note after each interview and each rejection.

You don't have to answer racist/sexist/discriminatory questions, at least where I live. Gracefully dodge the question or decline to answer if you want.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
I've got all day to do nothing
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2008, 11:55 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2008, 09:55 AM #35 of 39
So when you have the job, what's the best way to keep this job?
Work hard. Pay attention. Don't smoke weed on the job.

Quote:
And would you choose a big company or a smaller company?
Depends on what you're looking for. There's more room to move around in bigger companies but you might not get the recognition that you would with a smaller company. There's other factors but that's a good place to start thinking about it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
war
Carob Nut

Member 27210

Level 4.12

Dec 2007

Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:04 PM #36 of 39
I find it funny people go to their true self AFTER they got that job.

After a few weeks the hired people really show who they are.

They shifted back to who they really are. I find that funny. It's like most [or all] of us are actors.

Nothing like being your own boss and not having anyone to be a boss of. Customers are exceptions to being the boss - sometimes.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I've got all day to do nothing
Divest
Banned

Member 3267

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2008, 12:24 PM Local time: Jan 10, 2008, 10:24 AM #37 of 39
I think it's the employer's fault a lot of the time. They want someone PERFECT and nobody is perfect so they end up hiring bullshitters who pretend like they are. I've tried being honest in job interviews and that definitely doesn't work.

If they want honest people they need to learn to be more accepting.

How ya doing, buddy?
katchum
VGM forever!

Member 180

Level 35.46

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2008, 01:50 PM Local time: Jan 10, 2008, 08:50 PM #38 of 39
Well as for me I acted all enthousiastic and sounded like a very narrative person. Now when I got the job I'm a bit more relaxed, like I usually am. I can't keep pretending like someone who has drunk 10 coffees.

I will work hard though, or try to. I've chosen for a small company, everything goes much much faster in a small company, you're not being put into a function but you can taste everything at once. It's harder, but you learn much more this way. I think people are more informal too.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Mithrandir
Hot Tamale

Member 1121

Level 6.05

Mar 2006

Old Jan 12, 2008, 02:59 PM #39 of 39
Well if I can give you some advice (being the person that does the first screening when receving resumes)
  1. Be sure that you know for which job you applied. I get too much people that simply apply for the job to get a job and don't really know what to expect and the responsibilities. Usually, if the job description says that you will have to work 40 hours a week, don't go saying that you are looking for part-time.

I'm pretty sure that you didn't commit this mistake, but the point is: the job description gives you a good idea of what the job is, so try to see in advance how your previous experience can be useful on those points.
  2. Dress in a professional manner: I've seen too much people dressed funny. Dressing professionally means that you really are serious about it.
  3. Don't get late or too in advanced ti the interview: if you're late, you better have a good reason such as the weather or an accident. «I don't know where the building was» is not a good answer. Plus, if you are not going to be able to be at the interview, tell the person in advance, not 1 hours after she's expecting you.

I have seen so many of these cases, that the people confirmed they were going to be there and they never show up, call two hours later to tell they had a problem and are not able to make it. If you're going to be late, notify at least. If you're not going to show up, do the same.
  4. Read about the company and its productrs before getting to the interview. That means you show interest in the company.
  5. As for the three bad habits: that's the tricky question. Choose something that does not dequalify you for the job. "I spend too much money!" is not a good answer if you're going to be in charge of administrating money. "I tend to forget names" is ok if you're not working with much people.
  6. Don't lie. Don't make up an interest you don't have. If you say you're a gamer and obviously you don't show enthousiasm when the interviewer of the game company speaks to you about Halo. It's going to show. I use this criteria a lot. And don't lie about things, the world is small, and you might not know it, but the recruiter and your last employer might be best friends.
  7. Don't make up diplomas or experience you don't have: a background check is common nawadays.
  8. Don't cheat on tests: Anyone can copy paste your answer in google and see if it comes up.

This is just some advice.

FELIPE NO
Not six....more like half a dozen...

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Looking for a job