Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Tales of Vesperia announced, next main Tales

rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2007, 07:39 PM #26 of 271
Whatever happend to the Tales series staying on the DS? I was looking at getting a 360 anyway, but still.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2007, 07:45 PM Local time: Dec 26, 2007, 04:45 PM #27 of 271
Whatever happend to the Tales series staying on the DS? I was looking at getting a 360 anyway, but still.
Companies that don't jump on opportunity because it contradicts something they said in the past are doomed to failure. I would assume the development team decided they had some bigger ideas that required a platform more suitable than the DS.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2007, 09:09 PM Local time: Dec 26, 2007, 07:09 PM #28 of 271
Oooh, nice trailer. I'm going to have to pick this up. Definitly looks like it could be a Wii or 360 Game now. Any ideas about it being DS have been well, thrown out the window (Unless somehow the DS can manage those kind of graphics, not bloody likely).Trailer was voiced in Japanese, with some intermediate English and Japanese lettering throughout (So if there are any translators about, now would be the time to investigate).

Anyway, here's some screenshots (56k Warning, all screenshots were taken from the larger sized trailer):

Spoiler:

"Project Vesperia" Presents:

"Next Tales of...", and first confirmation that it is 3D and GREEN:

Huzzah, the big city seen at the end of this trailer as well. Seems important:

Same as above, but now with Japanese Text:

The City from bird's eye view. Is this Midgar 2.0.

A couple B&W drawings with Jap. Text, here's one of them:

Some sort of ancient drawing, probably ties into the mythos of the game
(I.e., bad guy appeared long ago and fucked up everyone, or somethin).
Also more Jap. Text:

From the previous TINY screenshot: Goth guy and Kyo Kisey-- I mean,
the other soldier, square off.

A monster comes through a window, and she blasts it away with some spell:

Not sure who these people are, but I like their look:

Goth guy doesn't seem too worried about the crystal dragon:

A Suprise for the Pink girl:

Suddenly, Ninjas!

After a bit of fighting, this Ninja gets blown away through some Boxes:

Walking away, classic story-telling scene:

He probably won't last long:

Combat Scene. Interesting to note that the girl is fighting in a different direction from the dark haired goth guy:

In Battle again, yes that is a giant mallet:

A Charged attack defeats the enemy:

Victory in Battle:

Beautiful Scenery:

The Crew has Assembled:

A Shot of the City again from before, Jap. Text:

Another Shot of the City, Credits on Dev Team I assume:

Fall Season in some Town:

Game's Title:

Hope these screenshots proved useful

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:42 PM Local time: Dec 26, 2007, 08:42 PM #29 of 271
Yeah, useful for crashing my browser!

Interesting turn of events with the potential console(s). Kind of looks like a bland Eternal Sonata though, so my interest in the game itself has waned a bit.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Tankalex_Storm
Master Swordsman

Member 11438

Level 6.95

Aug 2006

Old Dec 26, 2007, 10:58 PM Local time: Dec 26, 2007, 08:58 PM #30 of 271
Well it said somewhere on Gametrailers that this is for the 360 but for all I know that could be just speculation. Anyway, this game looks fantastic! I'm totally looking forward to it!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:04 PM Local time: Dec 26, 2007, 09:04 PM 1 #31 of 271
Yeah, useful for crashing my browser!
That's why I included both the [spoiler] and [popup] tags.

If your browser somehow is unable to deal with both of these vb code functions (As the [popup] tag allows the image to load only if you click on the popup icon, thus saving on bandwidth) then I suggest either getting a new browser, or not view the images.

If you still have trouble, I suppose I can reupload these with Thumbnails >=|

FELIPE NO
Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:19 PM Local time: Dec 26, 2007, 09:19 PM #32 of 271
I wasn't being very serious, just surprised at how badly it slowed down my computer, and making a joke about it. The screens are appreciated.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2007, 11:36 PM Local time: Dec 26, 2007, 09:36 PM #33 of 271
I wasn't being very serious, just surprised at how badly it slowed down my computer, and making a joke about it. The screens are appreciated.
Okay. Well I was specifically trying to avoid overloading people's systems because while the screenshots are pretty, they are also large and that's taxing on some computers.

The upside is that, depending on your monitor, some of the screenshots could make for a wallpaper (Although I admit, the images were compressed a bit for the upload.)
So, If anyone want a wallpaper of something from the trailer, feel free to PM me about it, I'll grab a screenshot and hand you a nice .png file

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2007, 01:21 AM Local time: Dec 27, 2007, 12:21 AM #34 of 271
Hum seems they failed to mention the site also had "Tales of Innocences" in the keywords before it was finished. Likely cause is the webmaster being lazy and just used a past template as both ToI and Ace Combat 6 used the EXACT same looking webpage when they released the first trailers for those games.

The only way I see this game coming to the Xbox 360 is if Microsoft has their hands in it and are promising some type of baseline compensation because we all know this has a next to zero chance of selling on the 360.
Namco isn't really pleased with the PS3 at the moment (despite mentioning it is actually worthy of putting games on now), so it'll probably have a timed release on 360 and then come out for PS3 later.

Kind of like Eternal Sonata!

How ya doing, buddy?
Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2007, 01:43 AM Local time: Dec 27, 2007, 07:43 PM #35 of 271
I saw this trailer a few days ago but saw the this thread was locked for some reason. My initial thoughts are:

Why the 360?
and
Why does it have Wii graphics and is on the 360 and not the Wii?

Pretty much those. Those graphics could be done on the Wii, so I don't know what they're doing. I guess it's okay considering I have a 360 and all, but I don't really understand why Namco Bandai have moved to it from the PS2.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2007, 01:58 AM Local time: Dec 26, 2007, 10:58 PM #36 of 271
Namco isn't really pleased with the PS3 at the moment (despite mentioning it is actually worthy of putting games on now), so it'll probably have a timed release on 360 and then come out for PS3 later.

Kind of like Eternal Sonata!
Actually as I said earlier, they just stated otherwise just a few weeks ago and I seriously doubt this will end up as a timed exclusive. They are aware of the performance of the Xbox 360 in Japan and they are well aware that the Tales series has primarily a Japanese draw. I'm not sure why anyone would think this is going to be an Xbox 360 exclusive after how terrible Eternal Sonata turned out. With a lot of high profile RPGs being released in 2008 for the PS3 I'd consider the other opposite possibility of this becoming a PS3 timed or full exclusive before the Xbox 360 gets any special treatment out of this game. But more than likely it's going to be a simultaneous release.

But of course if it does end up happening, Tales of Vesperia Directors Cut might not but such a bad thing.

Quote:
I saw this trailer a few days ago but saw the this thread was locked for some reason. My initial thoughts are:

Why the 360?
and
Why does it have Wii graphics and is on the 360 and not the Wii?

Pretty much those. Those graphics could be done on the Wii, so I don't know what they're doing. I guess it's okay considering I have a 360 and all, but I don't really understand why Namco Bandai have moved to it from the PS2.
No way. The cel shading is a huge step up to what it was on the PS2 and the textures are far too sharp, the shadows far too complex and the animation far too smooth to be done on the Wii. Just compare this to Tales of the Abyss and you can see this is very much the next generation quality game from the Tales team.

Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2007, 02:06 AM Local time: Dec 27, 2007, 01:06 AM #37 of 271
Releasing it on 360 would give them more reason to plug their evil idolm@ster game. They could even give imas costumes for the females.

Then release it later on PS3 as a Director's Cut with all that and even more.

How ya doing, buddy?
Rockgamer
(OH CRAP. IT'S THE DUKE)

Member 370

Level 43.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 27, 2007, 04:00 AM Local time: Dec 27, 2007, 03:00 AM #38 of 271
Not that this actually proves anything, but on the Game Videos (part of the 1up Network, so it's not just some no name site) page for the trailer, it has it listed as PS3. It seems weird that they would know even though it's not officially announced, but maybe they know something we don't. Or maybe they just flipped a coin.

Parn
Tune in... Turn on... Drop out!

Member 2802

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:19 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2007, 11:19 AM #39 of 271
Saw this mentioned on NeoGAF: Motoi Sakuraba ~ Official English Website

Tales of Vesperia is listed on Motoi Sakuraba's page as a 360 game. Looks like Microsoft is shelling out bucks for some JRPG development, or something. You have to give them credit for standing their ground... the Dreamcast and Sega Saturn both were infinitely more successful in the Japanese market, haha. I doubt the system will be able to make a turnaround, but regardless of why 360, the game is coming and I will buy it.

FELIPE NO
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:46 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2007, 05:46 PM #40 of 271
Tales of Vesperia is listed on Motoi Sakuraba's page as a 360 game. Looks like Microsoft is shelling out bucks for some JRPG development, or something.
You say that as though the 360 does not already have a couple of JRPGs. I'm just saying, it's not like this is the first. It may prove to be the best, though. Neither of the two major consoles (yeah, I went there...) have a significant number of JRPGs yet, so it's not like there's an obvious platform for JRPG developers. I am by no means a fanboy for either system, but I chose to put my money on PS3 because Nippon Ichi put theirs on it. I'm hoping other developers will follow, but if they don't... I'll just have to save my pennies for a 360 as well.

Parn
Tune in... Turn on... Drop out!

Member 2802

Level 10.62

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 01:17 PM Local time: Dec 30, 2007, 01:17 PM #41 of 271
My avatar is from Jet Set Radio Future, a niche Japanese game on a platform where barely any Japanese games existed, so it's not like I'm some kind of uninformed gamer. Would it make you feel better if I added "more" in that sentence? The intended point was that Microsoft wasn't giving up on breaking the Xbox stereotype and giving their all on getting more Japanese development on the 360.

Bigblah
Tails is incompetent!

Member 5

Level 45.31

Feb 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 01:26 PM Local time: Dec 31, 2007, 02:26 AM #42 of 271
Originally Posted by Dark Nation
Another Shot of the City, Credits on Dev Team I assume:
That credit is for "Animation Movie" by Production I.G -- i.e. the same studio that animated the recent Tales of Symphonia OVA. High quality stuff.

Most amazing jew boots
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 04:12 PM Local time: Dec 30, 2007, 10:12 PM #43 of 271
My avatar is from Jet Set Radio Future, a niche Japanese game on a platform where barely any Japanese games existed, so it's not like I'm some kind of uninformed gamer. Would it make you feel better if I added "more" in that sentence? The intended point was that Microsoft wasn't giving up on breaking the Xbox stereotype and giving their all on getting more Japanese development on the 360.
Fair enough. I wasn't really my intention to suggest you were uninformed either. the main point of my post is that neither system is a JRPG haven yet, and I'm betting neither really will be either. I'd like to see the PS3 be the JRPG console this generation just because I have one, but I fully expect the 360 to get a share.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Traumatized Rat
Final Fantasy VI

Member 294

Level 31.22

Mar 2006

Old Jan 1, 2008, 04:41 AM #44 of 271
I kind of agree with Elixir that the screens DN posted look a lot like something you'd see on the Wii. (those who think otherwise should check out UR MR GAY (Super Mario Galaxy)) I mean I'm only suspicious because the Wii has been selling like hotcakes and developers are interested in making money, so it makes sense to release a game on a system that people own. Right? Right? So, I looked at the game list Sakuraba had posted for his CV and saw that there is a game for Wii called Tales of Symphonia II that is slated for release in 2008. I also found a video at Gametrailers for said game.

Using my 'massive powers of deductive reasoning', I'd hazard a guess that Tales of Vesperia is going to be for PS3 or Xbox 360, as people have been guessing. Since the Wii has a tales game coming out for it already, it stands to reason that the developers will want to express art through the greater potential of high powered consoles.

[edit] Scratch that, I just watched the Vesperia trailer on gametrailers. Totally looks like 360 or PS3. Looks like an awesome game.

Last edited by Traumatized Rat; Jan 2, 2008 at 03:28 AM.
nanaman
BASKETSLASH

Member 25298

Level 18.44

Oct 2007

Old Jan 1, 2008, 10:06 PM Local time: Jan 2, 2008, 05:06 AM #45 of 271
I'm kind of hoping it comes to the PS3 so I can get another reason for buying one later on. I can't really imagine this game for the Wii, but I can't say I'm knowledgeable enough to judge what it's really capable of. But thinking of how SMG looks it doesn't seem to be impossible though.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by nanaman; Jan 1, 2008 at 10:13 PM.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 12:40 AM Local time: Jan 1, 2008, 10:40 PM #46 of 271
The public perception of the Wii's graphics being subpar is only half right. The system can make some beautiful graphics, but its up to the developers to muscle out that capability. Yes the RAW Graphical power is not going to match the 360 or PS3, but that should NOT be an excuse for developers to not make something worth looking at (i.e., be lazy). Mario Galaxy was a fantastic game with lush detail and bright detailed environments. Compounding on that is the fact that Nintendo has said (At least NOA) they will be helping developers achieve the same level of quality that Nintendo is well-known for. Of course quality is a subjective terms as Reggie points out, but given that Ubisoft also announced their initiative to achieve higher standards of quality in their 2008 Titles.

These two points indicate towards Nintendo courting Japanese developers towards making high standard games. An act which, while also probably done on the Gamecube to a degree, will probably be more vigilant and aggressive.

The point of all that rambling? Tales of Games can be very possible on the Wii. Of course I won't be sad at all if it comes to the 360 instead.

Last edited by Dark Nation; Jan 2, 2008 at 12:43 AM.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 01:58 AM Local time: Jan 1, 2008, 10:58 PM #47 of 271
Sorry but what has been shown is 100% impossible on the Wii. First the obvious one should be the 720p video, a resolution beyond the Wii. Second while the game might not be up to full next-gen standards there are obvious signs this is for the Xbox 360/PS3 based on the graphics.

First the models are made up of far more polygons than what is being shown for Tales of Symphonia 2. Second there is a self shadow system in place and an overall high quality shadow system. Third, the textures are extremely high resolution and probably well beyond what is possible with the limited memory in the Wii. And the fourth is in the trailer where it mentions HD animation from Production I.G specifically.

As I said before that doesn't mean there isn't a Wii version sitting behind somewhere not being show, but the trailer clearly displays a PS3 / Xbox 360 game. And from the various information leaking out it looks like it is going to be an Xbox 360 timed exclusive which depresses me only because I fear DVD-9 use for this game. It's probably going to limit the amount of animation we are going to get from Production I.G as well as screw us over for any hope of a dual audio release. Worse yet there is a change we'll get screwed out of skit voice localization once again since their excuse in the past has been lack of disc space due to the fact that the English language is naturally longer spoken, thus the file sizes for each voice clip is larger.

How ya doing, buddy?
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:08 AM Local time: Jan 2, 2008, 05:08 PM 1 #48 of 271
You're all wrong, it's for the Game Boy. Can't you goons tell by the crisp dot matrix green and black graphics and the pumping digital stereo sound? I wonder what the screen border will be like when played on the Super Game Boy. Can't wait, bring it on Titus!

Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:17 AM Local time: Jan 1, 2008, 11:17 PM #49 of 271
The Game Boy only has digital mono output and analog stereo sound, smartass. Can't say it's for the Game Boy either.

Hindman
Good Chocobo

Member 3792

Level 15.57

Mar 2006

Old Jan 2, 2008, 02:37 AM Local time: Jan 2, 2008, 12:37 AM #50 of 271
The Game Boy only has digital mono output and analog stereo sound, smartass. Can't say it's for the Game Boy either.
It was pretty obvious that he was being sarcastic.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Tales of Vesperia announced, next main Tales