Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - BATTLE 11 Voting/WEEK 89 Nominating

KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:10 PM #26 of 53
AFAIK, when bonus points first came about, they were used on every track, tie or not (I remember this all too well from Week 23,) and it wasn't until later that it became a tie-only thing, so if they weren't at all there, they wouldn't have been in play yet.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:13 PM #27 of 53
AFAIK, when bonus points first came about, they were used on every track, tie or not (I remember this all too well from Week 23,) and it wasn't until later that it became a tie-only thing, so if they weren't at all there, they wouldn't have been in play yet.
The kicker is, the winners that week had *no* listed point totals, just a ranking--I had to compute the numbers from scratch.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:22 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2007, 08:22 PM #28 of 53
Before my time, so I can't say anything about the process. And I don't remember when the bonus points system started.

What I can tell you is that I did my own tally from the thread and got exactly the same results. So, your math is fine.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:35 PM #29 of 53
Well, since I'm going through and adding in the point totals for Weeks 1-18, and since I've already come across a second tie (this one for fifth place), it's pretty clear I need to do something.

I'll use the current bonus system for now and fire off a PM to Kaleb, see if he might have some more info.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 10:58 PM Local time: Mar 8, 2007, 07:58 PM #30 of 53
Bonus points are not added to the voting point totals; the two values remain separate. Bonus points are only looked at when a tie-breaker is needed. However, near the beginning, it was preferred to leave voting open for an additional day or so before resorting to this. But anyway, weekly calculation of bonus points for a non-tie situation is irrelevant. As a reminder, the formula is as follows:
# of people who voted for the track + (# of people who awarded it three points / 2)

You can check some of the old spreadsheets for more info.

As for Week 02, I may have made a mistake. I counted Nites' votes by position rather than points, as he didn't specify, and his comments seemed to imply this. I'm still not sure what he really meant. If he was actually using points instead, then "Planescape: Torment - Credits" should have taken 3rd place. The only way to solve this is to ask him, I suppose. Or we could have a recall vote.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 8, 2007, 11:10 PM #31 of 53
Bonus points are not added to the voting point totals; the two values remain separate. Bonus points are only looked at when a tie-breaker is needed. However, near the beginning, it was preferred to leave voting open for an additional day or so before resorting to this. But anyway, weekly calculation of bonus points for a non-tie situation is irrelevant. As a reminder, the formula is as follows:
# of people who voted for the track + (# of people who awarded it three points / 2)

You can check some of the old spreadsheets for more info.

As for Week 02, I may have made a mistake. I counted Nites' votes by position rather than points, as he didn't specify, and his comments seemed to imply this. I'm still not sure what he really meant. If he was actually using points instead, then "Planescape: Torment - Credits" should have taken 3rd place. The only way to solve this is to ask him, I suppose. Or we could have a recall vote.
Ah, that clears a lot of things up; best of all, those Excel spreadsheets mean that I don't have to re-enter the data by hand and can fill in some of the destroyed weeks.

As far as Week 02 is concerned, I think the results have held for long enough that they shouldn't be changed; I'd rather just make a note in the Voting Archive. Since "Credits" was my nomination, I think it's better to leave it be to avoid a conflict of interest.

FELIPE NO
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2007, 12:06 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2007, 01:06 PM #32 of 53
Here's how I gave out points:

(3 points) Let's Make a Pro Baseball Team! ~ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK~ - Forty Year Plan, are you finished

(2 points) Ridge Racer 64 (Game Rip) - Cruise Control

(1 point) Tobe! Polystars & Total Vice - Over the Frozen Sea (2nd BGM)

Wild Arms V came quite close to getting a point. Contrary to common opinion, I really like "Cruise Control". :P

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I think therefore I am... I think.
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2007, 10:28 AM Local time: Mar 10, 2007, 05:28 PM #33 of 53
(3 points) Wild Arms the Vth Vanguard Original Score Vol. 1 - Seeking the Blue Sky
(2 points) Sword Maniac - Mad Buffoon
(1 point) Digimon Rumble Arena (Game Rip) - Wilderness

Nomination:

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Kanji
"Well, hello there, sugar tits."

Member 567

Level 16.46

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2007, 01:03 PM Local time: Mar 10, 2007, 12:03 PM #34 of 53
2 Points ~ Let's Make a Pro Baseball Team! ~ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK~ - Forty Year Plan, are you finished?
2 Points ~ Suikoden - The Divine Oath - Dreams Come True Someday (Orchestra Version)
1 Point ~ Wild Arms the Vth Vanguard Original Score Vol. 1 - Seeking the Blue Sky
1 Point ~ Sword Maniac - Mad Buffoon

Unfortunately, I had to dock one point from Seeking the Blue Sky since Mad Buffoon definitely deserved a little something. A great Battle, though - every track had something cool to offer. I, too, was disappointed with the victory of Cruise Control last week, but it wasn't bad at all when I gave it a few listens this week.

Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Mar 10, 2007, 01:38 PM #35 of 53
Contrary to common opinion, I really like "Cruise Control". :P
Bless your heart Elorin. Though I'm not surrprised everyone else is dumping on Cruise Control. I'm just as surprised it won as anybody else. Still, a win's a win's a win in my book.

(2 points) Let's Make a Pro Baseball Team! ~ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK~ - Forty Year Plan, are you finished?
(2 points) Wild Arms the Vth Vanguard Original Score Vol. 1 - Seeking the Blue Sky
(1 point) Ridge Racer 64 (Game Rip) - Cruise Control
(1 point) Digimon Rumble Arena (Game Rip) - Wilderness

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Mar 11, 2007, 01:45 AM #36 of 53
The only song out of all these I voted for was Cruise Control. I did miss a couple weeks, but still... there were a lot of other songs I wanted to win over most of these winners.

Here's my points!

2 points - Ridge Racer 64 (Game Rip) - Cruise Control
2 points - Sword Maniac - Mad Buffoon
1 point - Digimon Rumble Arena (Game Rip) - Wilderness
1 point - Let's Make a Pro Baseball Team! ~ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK~ - Forty Year Plan, are you finished?

How ya doing, buddy?
EliJaH
God is force

Member 13856

Level 4.50

Oct 2006

Old Mar 11, 2007, 05:39 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2007, 04:39 PM #37 of 53
~~~POINTS~~~

2 pts ---> Seeking the Blue Sky
1 pts ---> Dreams Come True Someday
1 pt ---> Mad Buffoon
1 pt ---> Forty Year Plan, are you finished?
1 pt ---> Shoot into the Street

Most amazing jew boots
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:00 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2007, 04:00 PM #38 of 53
Well, it sounds like an improvement, though I've long deleted the older mp3 to know for sure. The tracker is still marginally better (note the segment starting at ~3:30).
Ugh, this is why I hate trackers. Mind making a copy of the song with whatever player you're using (assuming it allows exportation)? You can drop off a copy in MP3 or WAV or whatever into the nominations folder and I can take care of the rest.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:05 PM #39 of 53
EDIT: VERY short comments right now.

2 pts. - Forty Year Plan, are you finished? - The highlight of all the songs for me. DH never fails to please with his jazzin' noms.
2 pts. - Mad Buffoon - My first gold! I really love this song's groove.
1 pt. - Seeking the Blue Sky - A pleasant song.
1 pt. - Wilderness - Wow, this is from a Digimon game? Pretty cool stuff.

Dreams Come True Someday was right in there with StBS and Wilderness for the 1 pt. considerations; it's unfortunate that I have no more points to give it. :-/

FELIPE NO
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Mar 11, 2007 at 06:20 PM.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:23 PM #40 of 53
2 pts. - Mad Buffoon - My first gold!
Damn, you got your first gold this cycle too? Congrats.

Maybe we need to keep statistics on "time from first nomination to gold." Both you and Goldfish were with us from the beginning, so that's 80+ SoTW's. Kind of sobering.

Maybe we should have people keep statistics on the amount of time between their first nomination and first gold.

Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:27 PM #41 of 53
You mind giving me 30mins or less?

EDIT: Not difficult, thanks.

3 points: Suikoden - The Divine Oath - Dreams Come True Someday (Orchestra Version)
2 points: Tobe! Polystars & Total Vice - Over the Frozen Sea (2nd BGM)
1 point: Let's Make a Pro Baseball Team! ~ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK~ - Forty Year Plan, are you finished?

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Liontamer; Mar 11, 2007 at 06:54 PM.
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2007, 06:31 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2007, 04:31 PM #42 of 53
Yes.

(nah, wasn't going to close for a couple of hours yet)

How ya doing, buddy?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2007, 09:02 PM #43 of 53
Damn, you got your first gold this cycle too? Congrats.

Maybe we need to keep statistics on "time from first nomination to gold." Both you and Goldfish were with us from the beginning, so that's 80+ SoTW's. Kind of sobering.

Maybe we should have people keep statistics on the amount of time between their first nomination and first gold.
I got my first gold this cycle, too, and was also here from the beginning (First nom was voted on in week 5, don't know what week I nominated it in.)

THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:18 PM Local time: Mar 11, 2007, 08:18 PM #44 of 53
Voting is closed and nominations are restricted!

1). [22/13.5] Let's Make a Pro Baseball Team! ~ORIGINAL SOUND TRACK~ - Forty Year Plan, are you finished?
2). [22/12.5] Wild Arms the Vth Vanguard Original Score Vol. 1 - Seeking the Blue Sky
3). [20] Sword Maniac - Mad Buffoon
4). [13] Suikoden - The Divine Oath - Dreams Come True Someday (Orchestra Version)
5). [12] Tobe! Polystars & Total Vice - Over the Frozen Sea (2nd BGM)
6). [11] Lethal Enforcers (Sega CD Red Book Audio) - Shoot into the Street
7). [10/8] Digimon Rumble Arena (Game Rip) - Wilderness
8). [10/5.5] Ridge Racer 64 (Game Rip) - Cruise Control

It may have fallen a touch short, but Cruise Control will win Song of the Year 2. You heard it here first.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:47 PM #45 of 53
Goddamn you _DH_, winning from beyond the grave when so many have gone winless for so long

I was speaking idiomatically.
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Mar 11, 2007, 10:55 PM Local time: Mar 12, 2007, 05:55 AM #46 of 53
Ugh, this is why I hate trackers. Mind making a copy of the song with whatever player you're using (assuming it allows exportation)? You can drop off a copy in MP3 or WAV or whatever into the nominations folder and I can take care of the rest.
Sure thing. Uploading it at the moment.

And congratulations to the legendary _DH_ once again! =0

Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:26 AM #47 of 53
So...close.

Oh well, at least I have one of my BSC nominations sewn up. Not sure if it'll do as good as Wind of Phantom, but I'm impressed by its' two-week performance.

Actually, I'm amazed Digimon didn't amass more points.

FELIPE NO
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 12, 2007, 12:31 AM #48 of 53

I actually like this idea, just out of sheer curiosity's sake. I know that Secret Squirrel has nominated only one track, "Graveyard Labyrinth", and it took gold.
Technically, that gives Secret Squirrel a 1.000% batting average, which is obviously as good as it gets.

I'm sure that others have decent numbers, as somebody obviously won Week 1 and took gold on their first attempt. Likewise, this probably held true for the winners of Week 2 and 3, depending upon how long it took for the nomination queue to recycle itself.

And the Suikoden track finished higher up than I thought it would've. Thanks for the last minute support, Liontamer!

Last edited by Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon; Mar 12, 2007 at 12:34 AM.
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 12, 2007, 01:18 AM Local time: Mar 11, 2007, 10:18 PM #49 of 53
I was actually thinking about starting a thread. Your Personal SotW Nomination History. I dragged out all my (soon to be) twenty and put them in chronological order on a winamp playlist. Now, the effort part, giving a run down on why I nominated each track and what place it took, eh, I've been equally too lazy and busy.

Week 2 gold belonged to me. It's all been downhill since.

How ya doing, buddy?

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Mar 12, 2007, 02:14 AM #50 of 53
Tracking individual success sounds like a fun idea. I joined up in week 65, and in 24 weeks of voting, not only have I had no golds, none of my noms have placed yet. I'd love to see if anyone has had the same levels of futility as me. (I haven't had any last places yet either, thankfully, so my noms aren't terrible...)

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - BATTLE 11 Voting/WEEK 89 Nominating