Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Quitting MMORPGs

Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 09:24 AM #26 of 39
Originally Posted by Parn
There are some already, they're called Diablo, Phantasy Star Online, Monster Hunter, Guild Wars, and the releasing-in-two-days Phantasy Star Universe. =P

Damn, why did you have to name off some of the worst MMORPG?

I perfer MMO than MMORPG. MMORPG is too much item and level based.

Most amazing jew boots
*AkirA*
Now you're king of the mountain, but it's all garbage!

Member 468

Level 26.17

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 01:20 PM #27 of 39
Originally Posted by Taegueki
Damn, why did you have to name off some of the worst MMORPG?
Cant speak for the others, but Diablo was the shit back in the day. Guild Wars is fun when you play with people you actually know in real life. Oh, and their free. Cant forget about that.

On a side note. PSU is pay to play. So im not sure if it should be lumped with those other games.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 07:09 PM #28 of 39
Originally Posted by Kostaki
I wait for the day where there's a game that you can log on, make some real friends, play an hour or two, and log out without any fucking obligations.
There is a game like that, it's called City of Heroes.

Most amazing jew boots

"Out thought and out fought."
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:56 AM Local time: Oct 23, 2006, 03:56 PM #29 of 39
I only swore myself I wouldn't get involved in another online rpg at about the end of August so I completly understand how it feels about the whole "I quit" factor. I also read an article on the subject not too long ago which tried to explain how the games have developed I only wish I still had it to share it here. I think online rpgs come down to something the first online rpg makers realised a long time ago:

gamer persistance>game difficutly answer?= make the game never end

Imagine the first time the admins on an rpg allowed online player killing it must have been a total warzone, or the first time 30+ players all jumped the same dragon boss at once the poor game creators back then must have been totally freaked out at the determination of it all as if it was some kind of real fight for surivival.

They've realised since those days that if a game has any flaws at all the player WILL exploit them without mercy to make life easier for them and/or beating other players. The makers have got much smarter since then so they know now how they can get the harcore lifeless players to stay playing even at the end, as well as draw new players in by moving the goalposts slowely further apart every time you progress once you're drawn in the game. So now you get games where you can't complete hardely any tasks alone to encourage more player interaction (FF online anyone? XD) rare items dropped by monsters with a less then 0.5% drop rate which is just plain insain, and in most cases the games characters take roughly a year to train to perfection if not longer (times that by 3 or more characters and that's a LOT of repetitive 'gameplay').

This 'training' or as the elites call 'grinding' normally only consists of you killing the same recoloured monsters 1000+ times and that's an optimistic prediction not dividing things by assisting other players and guilds reaching their own goals not to mention their 'codes of honour' and all that jazz XD.

People are selling their characters off on ebay for gods sake @_@ so for those who don't sell theirs correct me if I'm wrong but am I the only one here who's stopped seeing a casual video game genre and starting to see some kind of unpaid job in a virtual world? :eyebrow:

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kimchi
Sup GFF faggots, who can't handle shit?

Member 552

Level 27.62

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:17 PM #30 of 39
Originally Posted by DarkMageOzzie
There is a game like that, it's called City of Heroes.
You got it wrong. It's Runescape.

Anyways, personally GW is alright. It isn't the best mmorpg out there. I never liked MMORPG.

Here's general routine of MMORPGer that is addicted like hell.

1. Buy the game.
2. Pay monthly fee.
3. Play like mad man.
4. When your PC time is up, turn off PC.
5. Wake up at 2 AM and start playing.
6. Play until you go to school.
7. You become tired as f*ck.
8. Repeat 3~5

Considering I was addicted to Ragnarok Online I am guessing I have general feeling of MMORPGer's routine. [What? I can't say it because I sucked at the game? Think again, I was top 100 player AND in best guild ATM)

Generally playing P2P game made me feel as if my money went down the drain if I didn't level up to lvl 99 trans with good PVP items less than a month =.=

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Kimchi; Oct 23, 2006 at 04:22 PM.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2006, 10:22 PM Local time: Oct 23, 2006, 09:22 PM #31 of 39
Originally Posted by S_K
correct me if I'm wrong but am I the only one here who's stopped seeing a casual video game genre and starting to see some kind of unpaid job in a virtual world? :eyebrow:
I agree. Plus, I play games as a diversion, so I don't want to run into the same kind of a-holes in a "virtual world" that I'm trying to take a vacation from in the "real world" and end up paying $ for it monthly ta boot! Ridiculous...

FELIPE NO
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
Gecko3
Good Chocobo

Member 991

Level 14.63

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2006, 11:16 PM Local time: Oct 23, 2006, 11:16 PM #32 of 39
Originally Posted by speculative
I agree. Plus, I play games as a diversion, so I don't want to run into the same kind of a-holes in a "virtual world" that I'm trying to take a vacation from in the "real world" and end up paying $ for it monthly ta boot! Ridiculous...
Man, that used to be my brother. When he lost his job, he used the rest of his money on paying for the cable internet bill (which I later had to foot later on because I used internet extensively as well), and playing MMO's. Wouldn't go get a job or anything, would just log in and play games. He even got to the point of taking my sister's comp and using both comps (and eating a ton of power, which he wasn't helping pay for) just to play one game (the 2nd comp was for a buffbot, which was notorious in DAOC).

Most people I know probably would've kicked this guy out. But my mom is too damn nice, and refused to do it (and we didn't make enough to move out yet either). And it pisses me off that he was such a damn freeloader (would eat a ton of our food, then didn't help with any chores either).

Luckily after about two years of doing this, he finally got his act together and got a job (and I hope he's making a lot, cause he owes my mom a lot of money) and stopped playing so much. But still, the fact that this game ended up doing that (and I'm sure it's done that to many others as well) kind of turned me off being such a hardcore gamer (aside from the endgame stuff pissing me off that is).

I'm all for having fun and playing games, but not to the point where it's a 'second job', and one you have to pay for to boot. Sociology/psychology/business majors, have fun studying this stuff

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Aquas
Oh, Nall...

Member 4590

Level 13.98

Apr 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:10 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2006, 11:10 PM #33 of 39
I had began playing Wow about a year ago. Maybe less. I got it, and I played often. It was about the only thing I played. I played it after my Day of Defeat: Source addiction, you could call it. Games are addicting in general, in my opinion. Anyway, this was my first real MMORPG experience. I had a moderate amount of fun, questing, checking out the landscapes, getting the P2P experience and what not. I didn't do much PVP at all, just did my run to 60. At first I had set a goal to just get to 60, raid a little and be done. But I didn't even get to 60. I got to level 52 as a Nightelf Warrior, and got sick of it, because I noticed how the game was causing me to play more, to level higher. The gameplay was even more mundane to me, or it just lost the luster it had.

About a week before I quit I was in desolace, pretty tired from my day, I logged on to grind up a bit there. I wanted to go to a friend's party that night but I thought I was too tired too. I happened to consult this random player I found in desolace, and share some of my thoughts with him. Explaining that I could go to a party but I was too tired... so I had just decided to play some WoW. He was foreign so his english wasn't great but he generally agreed. We chatted as we fought some mobs, floating around with no real goal except to grind. Then I had recieved a call from one of my friends of the friend who was throwing the party and they had insisted they could come and pick me up to the party, where I had to take the bus if I wanted to go, originally. Then I was just like, fuck it, I'll go.

So I went to the party and drank some homeade absinthe with everclear this guy made. MAN THAT SHIT WAS GROSS! But it got me kinda surly =D

I related this story kind of as a sentiment to the regard of quitting the game. I mean, that situation is kind of representative of an addicted MMORPG'er.

1. He's exhausted but is logged on anyway.
2. He has something better to do. (sleep, go to a party)
3. He's grinding.

But ya know, I enjoyed player interaction every now and then. I made a couple friends through mad instance leveling. There was 2 days that I stayed up straight on the SM instances. I met some people who were doing that almost as dedicated as I was. It was interesting, there really were about 5-10 people who were doing those instances just non-stop, that I continued to see during the timespan that I played.

ACTUALLY, the first MMO I tried was fuckin FlyForFun. FlyFF as it's called. I really enjoyed this one, minus its senseless grinding, because of overall friendliness of all the players. Hell, I might even get back into it. Also, because there seemed to be a good amount of young players. I made a friend with a 9 year old australian girl, it was so cute. We didn't talk a lot but we were usually happy to grind together. It's games like those that it's cartoony charm and sheer simplicity bring out the friendly gamers. Well, I might very well be generalizing.

I quit WoW at 52, and don't have any real intention to ever play again. However, my friends are going to get back into it when Burning Crusade comes out. They want me to, but I will refuse them adamantly.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
In your dreams, magical thoughts
All things are real, unless you dream they're not
misterbull
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 21569

Level 1.02

Mar 2007

Old Mar 27, 2007, 10:35 PM #34 of 39
I treated mmo's as a complete escape from my problems. Been trying to quit for 4 months. I think I've almost made it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zio
I'm so cool, I got my own castle.

Member 456

Level 19.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:40 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2007, 12:40 AM #35 of 39
Most MMORPG sucks period. Mostly item based. Not skill based. That's why I hate it. Not worth my time since mostly I play games 15 min~30. So I play FPS/RTS instead since I can play any time without ganing or loosing anything >.>

I find the article quiet intresting to read. Yeah, I find people spending TOO much time on games =.=
Go play WoW, you can be in complete shit gear and still rock the house. Trust me, watch some PVP movies of a rogue using the dagger you start out with at level 1. Or even a level 60 or 70 mage in just greens/blues that are pre BC and sitll own people in tier 2.

WoW was the only game I held respect because if you were smart/skillful you could easily out beat someone with better gear... Though gear does help you kill more/easier but it isn't really required. And level isn't a problem if your the max level and you go into a battleground.

I quit WoW because it bored me, I logged in, within five seconds, bam I wanted to log out.

I never played EQ cause well... at the time I didn't have net nor a job. Guildwars I stopped at like level 14 due to shitty people. You couldn't get missions done and other things cause people would flame you, OMG A MESMER AND A NECRO? YOU MADE A SHIT BUILD! Or the other flames. I don't have to deal with little kiddies who have an e-peen issue. GUild wars was the most waste of 50 bucks + 5.1%(Wisconsin state tax) in my life.

Once I get my new machine, I may play EQII to see what it is all about. The only thing I find fun about MMORPGS is cause of all the people you meet in the game. And the friends you make while playing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Originally Posted by Zio
Heh, heh, heh. Now, now. That's the expression I want to see! A face filled with pain and anguish, begging fearfully for help, a face quivering with anger! Go, on! Get angry! Suffer! Be sad! That would truly be the ultimate offering to me and my great god!
crabman
NEWS!

Member 17465

Level 11.09

Dec 2006

Old Apr 12, 2007, 01:54 AM Local time: Apr 11, 2007, 11:54 PM #36 of 39
I've tried to quit ragnarok soooooo many times. But the mere mention of it will kick up my urges to kill porings.

I'm actually risking another urge just by typing this message. And i really hope i can keep it down.

My only advice, get your REAL friends to play your account and piss off all your ONLINE friends so your online friends will stop playing with you. And if you don't have real friends tough luck. If you don't have online friends, why the hell are you still playing mmos? Grinding on porings is NOT fun, but it is addicting. Just like smoking alone, not very fun. Smoking with friends a lot of fun.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Congle line of abuse. Or is that conga-line. Or congaline.
3.1 inches of glory

Member 4123

Level 28.07

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2007, 02:49 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2007, 12:49 AM #37 of 39
I found an interesting blog post from the leader of one of the biggest WoW guilds in the world. He quit. Here's his story: clicky clicky
This was a great story, even better since its true.

Granted I was nothing of such importance during my FFXI hay-days, once I hit somewhere near the top of my game I sat down and thought, "What is my goal?"

There was no goal, it had become mindless repitition, and although some may argue FFXI is the best game for it, all MMORPGs are long-term investments in repitition and the mundane. Once that hit me deep I kinda wanted to cry, I wasted so much time (not to say I'd have done anything more progressive in real life, but I could've read a book or two instead of playing).

I'll always remember the good times and the two great friends I made in the ::three years:: of dedicated playing I spent, the few hundred screenshots I took, but I could never go back to ANY mmorpg now, just the occasional CS:Source with my pals when I go back home from school is the extent of any time investment I'm interested in making with MMOs now.

I was speaking idiomatically.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Apr 12, 2007, 02:55 PM Local time: Apr 12, 2007, 12:55 PM #38 of 39
I play CS.

I've been completely indifferent to all "true" MMORPGs, never had enough time to sink into them to want to get involved. I used to play Diablo 2 with my best friend in high school all the time (he had a Mac, it was our only choice), and once Guild Wars came out I played that for a semester or two with my roommate in college. Both of us got bored in GW around the same time as we realized that the PvP was pretty much as lame as everything else.

The only game that currently stands a chance at sucking me back in for a lot of time is Hellgate: London because it's sounding like exactly the style of game I've been wanting for years. Of course, it comes out the same month I start grad school, so it might have to wait two years until I finish all of my classes and start to just do research (of course, by that time nobody else will be playing so I'll just be alone going ).

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kaelin
Sworn Protector

Member 3844

Level 12.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2007, 10:13 PM #39 of 39
Once I get my new machine, I may play EQII to see what it is all about. The only thing I find fun about MMORPGS is cause of all the people you meet in the game. And the friends you make while playing.
That is the one thing that has probably kept me from quitting WoW for good. I have so many good friends whom I've met in the game. I don't think I could up and quit the game, since they probably would never sign onto IM even if I left an IM name, never email much, etc. Finding them in game is pretty much the best way of just catching up and having a chat.

As a true story last week I logged in, and for almost 15 minutes straight, I just sat there and chatted in whispers with one of my friends. I moved about a little bit in between the typing, but still, the conversation was great and I wasn't paying a spit of attention to the quests I had, trying to gain the next level as fast as I could, what have you. It's that kind of stuff that makes me still log into the game for the most part.

FELIPE NO

Thank you Guest for the kickass signature!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Quitting MMORPGs