Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Tales of Abyss - US Bound

Vkamicht
Chocobo

Member 431

Level 12.47

Mar 2006

Old Apr 27, 2006, 11:00 PM #26 of 37
Originally Posted by Kostaki
Then it was skipped over for Legendia, leading to ANGUISH.
Wasn't skipped over... they decided to bring Legendia here before they even knew Abyss existed.

Most amazing jew boots
Kostaki
Team Bonklers!

Member 2155

Level 22.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 12:40 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2006, 12:40 AM #27 of 37
Well that's interesting. I was concerned we'd lose it like we have with Rebirth and Destiny II PS2 anyway. Suppose that isn't the case here, so all is well in the end.

It is interesting though to see Legendia and Abyss released four months from each other in Japan and to have the US localization company NOT know about Abyss if that were the case, but eh.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Simon Belmont
Gunflame!

Member 1274

Level 2.38

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 02:12 AM #28 of 37
Good lord, I love you Namco. Looks like my pleading letters actaully got us somewhere, eh? Eh?... Well, probably not, but still, this is the most friggen awsome news I've heard in quite some time. Better than the Rogue Galaxy news even. I love the Tales series, and I was even on the verge of importing this one but now, looks like I can wait.

Wow, Im so excited. I feel kinda bad that I haven't gotten a chance to finish Legendia though, with the school and the physics and the calculus and what not. But now that summer's here, Im gonna replay Legendia the way it should have been months ago.

Im surprised though, Namco wasn't one to give us Americans a second shot, back when Tales of Destiny 2 (not Eternia for those two of you that don't know this) years ago. Even more recently, Tales of Symphonia is said to not have sold up to expectations (for shame its my absolute favorite). But look at us now, we got Legendia, Phantasia for the first time, and now we're getting Abyss. How absolutlely fabulous is that!? Its absolutlely absolultely fabulous, thats how much!

Hey, maybe if we all dream hard enough, Namco will bring us ToD 2, and Rebirth as well. That would be the day I could die, well, atleast be wounded, a happy man.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

"I wanna ride the gween donkey!"
Radius-86
Wark!

Member 1905

Level 1.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 04:37 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2006, 02:37 AM #29 of 37
I didn't have a doubt that Abyss would come stateside. One reason is that it is one of the best games in the series - because of that I believed some high-quality localization work and smart marketing will yield many sales. In addition to that, Abyss may capture the interest of many new players to the series - increasing the Tales fanbase. Similar in fashion to the amount of people who got into the Zelda series after the release of Ocarina of Time, or the people who got interested in Final Fantasy after the release of Final Fantasy VII.

I'm looking forward to the extra content that is mentioned - this teaser builds up a lot of hype, so I'm convinced their extra content will not be half-assed. Thus, I'm looking forward to it!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rei no Otaku
Fanboy

Member 386

Level 14.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 07:28 AM #30 of 37
Quote:
It is interesting though to see Legendia and Abyss released four months from each other in Japan and to have the US localization company NOT know about Abyss if that were the case, but eh.
They didn't even know that the character quests were a major part of the game, so that wouldn't surprise me at all.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Miles
ゴハンダニャー~(=^・ω・^)ヘ >゚)))彡

Member 2

Level 34.77

Feb 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 11:26 AM Local time: Apr 28, 2006, 09:26 AM #31 of 37
Originally Posted by Simon Belmont
Even more recently, Tales of Symphonia is said to not have sold up to expectations (for shame its my absolute favorite).
What? I'm pretty sure the high sales with this game was actually quite shocking for Namco. The game is even a 20 Dollar Players Choice at this point and kinda easy to find.

FELIPE NO
Simon Belmont
Gunflame!

Member 1274

Level 2.38

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 03:42 PM #32 of 37
Maybe you're right Miles, but one has to admit that there the Cube hasn't fared well for RPGs in general. Thats why I don't doubt the low-sales thing, and its just something I've read and discussed in other forums. Thats why, or so they say, the PS2 version of Symphonia wasn't released stateside. Which, I don't know about everyone else but I would have re bought that game in a flash just for the extra contnet.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 03:54 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2006, 01:54 PM #33 of 37
It not getting many RPGs doesn't have anything to do with sales. In fact, Paper Mario: The Thousand-Year Door just became a Player's Choice.

The PS2 version did not come over because it was the exact same fucking game half a year later, but with a few added extras and shitty load times. There you go.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Final Fantasy Phoneteen; Apr 28, 2006 at 03:57 PM.
Simon Belmont
Gunflame!

Member 1274

Level 2.38

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 06:12 PM #34 of 37
Alright, I wasn't stating my post as fact. Sorry, I was worng.

But on a completely different topic, what dictates something becoming "Player's Choice" anyway? Atleast back in the day of the SNES, games were cheapened, and labeled "Millions Seller" which is very straight forward. Who knows if Player's Choice is actually "We printed way too many." Any ideas anyone?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Final Fantasy Phoneteen
what

Member 119

Level 36.08

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 06:47 PM Local time: Apr 28, 2006, 04:47 PM #35 of 37
If it were like that, Skies of Arcadia: Legends would've become a Player's Choice.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Apr 28, 2006, 07:45 PM #36 of 37
It means demand exceeded supply and they reprinted the game on a large scale to accommodate it.

ToS was ridiculously popular. Fuck, it still is. Go trot your ass to gamefaqs and see for yourself. The forum for it there is still very active despite the game no longer being new. (Most forums are active for a few months and then die terrible deaths) The Gamecube doesn't have trouble selling RPGs, it has issues when it comes to bothering to release any. I honestly can't even think of any RPGs on the console outside of ToS, Baten Kaitos, FF:CC and I guess Fire Emblem if you are counting SRPGs along with them.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Zeta26
Good Chocobo

Member 1280

Level 18.12

Mar 2006

Old May 5, 2006, 08:35 PM Local time: May 5, 2006, 05:35 PM #37 of 37
Well, atleast it's good to know that this' headed to the U.S . Which we'll no doubt be having similar Tales actors of the past. Like with Came Clarke (which he did work in Symphonia and Legendia).

Though, Generic Badass. If you have a severe hate towards Abyss, why do you even come here then? I mean, isn't this a topic for fans. That will get them psyched up and wanting to play this game.

How ya doing, buddy?
~Fav Radiant Dawn Character~

Last edited by Zeta26; May 5, 2006 at 09:21 PM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > Tales of Abyss - US Bound