Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Multiplatform] Phantasy Star Universe

WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2006, 08:57 PM Local time: Nov 6, 2006, 05:57 PM #376 of 1372
Problem's fixed! It turned out the Nvidia Network Manager was keeping it from working. I uninstalled it and now everything works fine.

So now I'll be running around on Universe 3 if anyone wants to join me.

Wolf (Cast, Ranger, about to change to Hunter)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:07 PM #377 of 1372
I'm selling a [B] Midiline. It's a six star armor board, extremely rare. It's in my shop for 32,000, only other shop I've ever seen it in currently has it for 50,000, and I saw one made one disappear at 150,000 (dunno if it sold or what though). If anyone here buys it I'll knock it down to 30,000 or refund you the 2,000 if you've already bought it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:23 PM #378 of 1372
Am I the only one that thinks Cast Hunters are just wrong? It's kinda annoying to see more Cast Hunters than Cast Rangers running around. No offense to anyone here who decided to go that route, but i'm talkin about the community in general. People tend to ignore how awesome rangers really are.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:29 PM Local time: Nov 6, 2006, 08:29 PM #379 of 1372
I remember Rangers were the shit in PSO, but it seems like the usefulness of guns were SEVERELY dropped for Universe. I don't know if I just haven't gotten to a high enough level or found a strong enough weapon, but the guns seem to suck balls here, with the exception of the Dual Handguns. But the PP on those weapons drop too fast for them to be of any real use.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Nov 6, 2006, 11:50 PM Local time: Nov 6, 2006, 11:50 PM #380 of 1372
Originally Posted by Lacerta
Probably so, you should swap out your Bullet PA, or maybe it is a lack of one?

That's the one good thing about guns... no confined element, switch out the Elemental PAs as you wish~
Against all types of enemies with or without any bullet type: Same results. I'll just page a GM.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 02:33 AM #381 of 1372
Originally Posted by WolfDemon
I remember Rangers were the shit in PSO, but it seems like the usefulness of guns were SEVERELY dropped for Universe. I don't know if I just haven't gotten to a high enough level or found a strong enough weapon, but the guns seem to suck balls here, with the exception of the Dual Handguns. But the PP on those weapons drop too fast for them to be of any real use.
I think for alot of people the real problem is the change to the targeting system, as in the fact that that targeting system in this is practically non existant unless you'd meleeing. You aren't lined up right with the enemy and you shoot... you just wasted PP.

Also for the people who mentioned using a 360 controller on the PC. How do you set that up exactly? Do you have to install something or just plug one in? A friend of mine is playing the PC version and can't stand playing using just the keyboard.

I was speaking idiomatically.

"Out thought and out fought."

Last edited by DarkMageOzzie; Nov 7, 2006 at 02:38 AM.
Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 04:09 AM Local time: Nov 7, 2006, 01:09 AM #382 of 1372
Basically you go to Microsoft's website and download the 360 controller drivers, install them, plug in the controller, and you're all set. Worked great for me, I just had to remap the camera from the shoulder buttons onto the right stick and invert it in the ingame settings.

Most amazing jew boots
Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:04 AM #383 of 1372
Originally Posted by WolfDemon
Rifles have nearly 1000 PP. You have to use the PAs with the guns for their true usefulness.

They can freeze enemies, burn them, paralyze them, etc...

Early on they can do more dmg than Hunters.

They can directly aim for boss weak points, and rifles have INSANE range.

You most likely wont be hit much. (if at all) Well, at least you shouldn't be hit much if you're doing your job right.

They have much more accuracy, which is a bigger deal than most people think.

They can crowd control better than forces sometimes.

FELIPE NO
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:08 AM Local time: Nov 7, 2006, 11:08 AM #384 of 1372
Originally Posted by Manny Biggz
Rifles have nearly 1000 PP. You have to use the PAs with the guns for their true usefulness.

They can freeze enemies, burn them, paralyze them, etc...

Early on they can do more dmg than Hunters.

They can directly aim for boss weak points, and rifles have INSANE range.

You most likely wont be hit much. (if at all) Well, at least you shouldn't be hit much if you're doing your job right.

They have much more accuracy, which is a bigger deal than most people think.

They can crowd control better than forces sometimes.
Uhh......no.

My frost bullet is at level 10 and the accuracy is only 70, if that. At level 25 we're still hitting for what Forces typically would hit for at level 5. Sure we have more PP, but you know what 1400PP does for us compared to 800 for a Force?

Example:
Say they use 20PP to hit for 200 damage.
We use 10PP to hit for 50 damage.

The range is such a nonissue. No targetting makes it easier to miss. We're restricted to 4 bullets, which have crap damage. Rangers. Suck.

As far as I can tell, at least to 30.

Lacerta
I know how to use a sword!

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 01:33 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2006, 12:33 PM #385 of 1372
Rangers are not designed to kill anything. They exist as a support class, not the super duper damage dealers like they used to be in PSO. Rangers are the best class to inflict any type of status effect with, and if you say otherwise you are lying to yourself or probably haven't seen real rangers in action.

It is honestly not that hard to aim, even if you hop around on one leg strafing. It just requires the ability to see. FPS mode is also helpful in aiming but I wouldn't use it when a mob gathers around.

If you want a broken killing machine though, do try a CAST Ranger in Offline. The insanely high stats are glorious.

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 02:03 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2006, 02:03 PM #386 of 1372
It's a shame I have to run in with a sabre just to be able to hit a few enemies at once just to get SOME XP before the Forces kill them all. That's what I do. Shoot, run to the back, hit the other guys, then start looting, because it's over by then.

Rangers got such a huge shaft in PSU.

Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 02:15 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2006, 11:15 AM #387 of 1372
When I'm playing Ranger, I just sweep the crowd with dual handguns since you can fire & strafe at the same time. Get a hit in on everyone, then start focusing your damage and status effects. It's not as visceral as mowing through a mob with Barta or unleashing photon arts, but it still lends a useful role to groups and does help out.

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 02:29 PM #388 of 1372
I've got a lvl 43 ranger, and they kick ass. With dual handguns I have 0 problems tagging everything, even with I play with lvl 50 people. And the whole time I'm pelting enemies, which is distracting them from the Hunters/Forces, getting them to come after me, and most of the time shocking or freezing them with fair consistency. Our damage kinda sucks though (as a cast. Any other race would probably do horrible damage), but we're an excellent support class. Mad status effects and range, and it's easy to lure enemies to you so they're not going after other people, and so the hunters can hit them in the back. PP's also not an issue, even on a rank runs I never run out of guns.

Also factor in that you're hitting WAY more than anyone else since you fire faster and generally have to move far less (if it all), you're doing less damage per shot, but you're getting way more shots in. You fire much faster than a force, and you don't have to worry about repositioning yourself like a Hunter. All the classes have pros/cons, but if you think Rangers suck, you're playing them wrong, go back to Hunter.

Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 02:35 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2006, 01:35 PM #389 of 1372
As a Human, my damage is so-so. It's not so great but not so bad either. It is simply like the race itself -- average.

I think Shock is the best status effect hands down. Freeze is ok if you're soloing I suppose, but it only takes 6 hits to break something out of the ice and with a ranger that occurs pretty rapidly.

Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 02:45 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2006, 02:45 PM #390 of 1372
But don't you think that 70 damage per hit compared to 400 is.......a bit uneven?

Most amazing jew boots
Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 03:00 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2006, 02:00 PM #391 of 1372
I have to wonder what exactly are you hitting for 70s.

The only thing I'm smacking around (At level 19 I believe) for 70s are those stupid Rhinos in Relics. That's with a dagger too, I'm not psycho enough to pump it full of lead. Damn Deband.

Forces are the powerhouses in the game anyway. They will outdamage anyone, even a Hunter w/ +10 S-Rank whatever with the highest ATP possible and at maximum level PA.

Their TP is just that tremendous.

FELIPE NO
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 03:03 PM #392 of 1372
Yeah, 70 doesn't seem right, unless you're using weak weapons that are strong with the element of the enemy you're fighting? At high levels I do maybe about half? of the dmage a hunter at my level does, but I'm hitting more and causing status effects. Plus Rangers excel at most of the boss fights (me and 3 other rangers at my level took down De Ragan on A rank in less than a minute). You'll never cause the pure damage of a Hunter or Force though. It sounds like you're thinking like a Hunter and looking for pure damage, it doesn't work that way. Rangers are very useful but you have to totally change your mindset. And you should never, EVER be using your saber except for the rhinos in the Relics.

Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 03:12 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2006, 02:12 PM #393 of 1372
I wonder which is better anyway, Saber or Dagger?

The only thing I really like about the dagger PA is that it hits 4 times and smacks almost every weakpoint on the enemy. I was able to hit 4 of Syvaltus' weakpoints with it for crazy damage.

Then he swung the sword and made me cry. But still, crazy damage!

BIGWORM
"You're falling behind, mercenary."

Member 378

Level 26.39

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 04:56 PM #394 of 1372
I started out as a Ranger (lvl3 right now), but migrated to HuCAST (lvl 6) for the major dmg. I usually just run in the middle of a group with either my +6 Breaker or my Twin Rippers and spam their respective PAs for tagging and the SUV charge up, then I back off and concentrate on the harder enemies of the group, switch to the anti- elemental weaponry, etc.

[ SCHWARZE-5 - Helger Collins ]
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 06:15 PM #395 of 1372
I wonder which is better anyway, Saber or Dagger?

The only thing I really like about the dagger PA is that it hits 4 times and smacks almost every weakpoint on the enemy. I was able to hit 4 of Syvaltus' weakpoints with it for crazy damage.

Then he swung the sword and made me cry. But still, crazy damage!
I've never messed with other one handed ranger weapons. I actually totally forgot they could equip single daggers :P

Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:17 PM #396 of 1372
Originally Posted by SailorDaravon
I've got a lvl 43 ranger, and they kick ass. With dual handguns I have 0 problems tagging everything, even with I play with lvl 50 people. And the whole time I'm pelting enemies, which is distracting them from the Hunters/Forces, getting them to come after me, and most of the time shocking or freezing them with fair consistency. Our damage kinda sucks though (as a cast. Any other race would probably do horrible damage), but we're an excellent support class. Mad status effects and range, and it's easy to lure enemies to you so they're not going after other people, and so the hunters can hit them in the back. PP's also not an issue, even on a rank runs I never run out of guns.

Also factor in that you're hitting WAY more than anyone else since you fire faster and generally have to move far less (if it all), you're doing less damage per shot, but you're getting way more shots in. You fire much faster than a force, and you don't have to worry about repositioning yourself like a Hunter. All the classes have pros/cons, but if you think Rangers suck, you're playing them wrong, go back to Hunter.
THANK YOU! Also, if you want a damage dealing ranger, wait for Laser Cannons.

Now I apologize if i'm gonna come off as an ass here, but I really wanna debate with all the ranger haters, so here it goes...

If you're fighting a boss like the robo ninja thing on Nuedaiz, targetting weak point with the first person mode = killing it in a fraction of the time. The only real good thing about the FPS mode is easily taking down flying enemies, and bosses, and IMO that's a VERY big deal. If you think otherwise then YOU are lying to YOURself.

Forces should NOT be killing enemies before you get a hit in. Your shots come out more than fast enough to at least tag one hit in on every enemy. That's not a good excuse for you not getting exp. It just means you're not moving fast enough. Rangers need to think on their feet almost at all times in the heat of combat.

More kinds of bullets will be released later, and they're awesome enough to warrant anticipation.

Rangers shouldn't be compared to Forces really. Forces have to rely on healing too. This tends to make them miss out on exp sometimes too. Just wait till they release all the spells. You'll be seeing Forces played in a COMPLETELY different way.

Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:30 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2006, 09:30 PM #397 of 1372
Originally Posted by SailorDaravon
I've never messed with other one handed ranger weapons. I actually totally forgot they could equip single daggers :P
You. Suck. ;_;

I don't really see any Ranger Haters here, so I dunno who you are really trying to debate with Manny =o

Speaking of that robot boss... The easiest way to take out Adahna Degahna is to pull out a melee weapon and walk behind him. When he turns walk in the direction he is turning and just keep hitting him. He should just turn around endlessly forever until he dies or teleports, in which case you just repeat the process over.

Not the most challenging ways to beat a boss, but it gets the job done I suppose.

Onma Gohg is pretty fun to fight, well not really he is a royal pain in the ass. However it is fun to shoot his wings off since then he is forced to walk on foot and becomes a much easier target.

Fuck those giant rocks he throws though.

Manny Biggz
HELL YEAH

Member 2988

Level 25.67

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 10:43 PM #398 of 1372
You. Suck. ;_;

I don't really see any Ranger Haters here, so I dunno who you are really trying to debate with Manny =o
There was one person who quoted me. I guess there's not really many here, but the PSU community in general seems to be turned off by rangers. Sad thing to see IMO.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Lacerta

Member 184

Level 24.77

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:02 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2006, 10:02 PM #399 of 1372
Originally Posted by Manny Biggz
There was one person who quoted me. I guess there's not really many here, but the PSU community in general seems to be turned off by rangers. Sad thing to see IMO.
It is kind of understandable though, since in PSO Rangers were the king of the game. All you needed was 1 Frozen Shooter 1 Spread Needle and something w/ Zalure and nothing could get in your path.

It was a change for the better I think, just wasting things with no effort is kind of boring

FELIPE NO
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 11:24 PM Local time: Nov 7, 2006, 11:24 PM #400 of 1372
I have to wonder what exactly are you hitting for 70s.

The only thing I'm smacking around (At level 19 I believe) for 70s are those stupid Rhinos in Relics. That's with a dagger too, I'm not psycho enough to pump it full of lead. Damn Deband.

Forces are the powerhouses in the game anyway. They will outdamage anyone, even a Hunter w/ +10 S-Rank whatever with the highest ATP possible and at maximum level PA.

Their TP is just that tremendous.
At level 18 I'm hitting bots in the temple for 40 and the humanoids for 70.
The rhinos I hit for 60.

I did some math on a few shots and after 200 data points, on average I'm hitting for 54. This is with the Saiyuhoh

How ya doing, buddy?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [Multiplatform] Phantasy Star Universe