Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Silent Hill movie

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:09 AM #376 of 608
Can you post those reviews, if they're spoiler-free?

Aside from brutal, was it scary? That's the most important thing.

Most amazing jew boots
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:21 AM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 12:21 AM #377 of 608
Quote:
Can you post those reviews, if they're spoiler-free?

Aside from brutal, was it scary? That's the most important thing.
I am not good at writing interesting reviews, so I might if I edit this post tonight, but not sure how likely that will be.

I can't say the movie was that scary, it had a few jumps here and there. The gore was good, that was overdone as well in most parts. The sound and how they used it was great, but never really scary, but most moments I was wondering "What is going to happen next?".

I guess I can say this, but I don't want to give it away, but it's not really a spoiler, but just incase
Spoiler:
The main character is never put into enough danger to get scary, it quickly jumps from one (scary scene, quick/random escape, next scene)

The games were never scary to me, just had a lot of disturbing images and a few jumping parts, which is exactly what the movie offered.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by Living Legend; Apr 20, 2006 at 03:26 AM.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 08:27 AM #378 of 608
My dad is pratically begging me to see this movie with him. He's been on a horror movie kick the last year or so - watching basically anything.

I must admit, its going to be weird going to a horror movie with my dad.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 10:43 AM #379 of 608
http://www.horrorchannel.com/index.p...content&id=902

First "official" review of the movie up on The Horror Channel. 4.5 out of 5 is not too bad

So fucking pumped to see it tonight!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:48 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 02:48 PM #380 of 608
Originally Posted by sprouticus

So fucking pumped to see it tonight!
You think YOU'RE the only one excited about tonight?! Man, feel those nipples!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
----------------------------------------
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:55 PM #381 of 608
damn I have to wait till saturday night ; ; I guess till sunday I'll try not to come here XD

I was speaking idiomatically.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 12:55 PM #382 of 608
4.5 out of 5 is "not too bad"?

I may be able to see it early tommorow, hopefully.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:02 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 03:02 PM #383 of 608
Stop worrying about the reviews, man. Most of them are biased. There's one that came out from an England newspaper and the woman gave it two stars saying she didn't understand the story because 'there were too many plot-holes'. ;-)

FELIPE NO
Skëtch's DVD Collection!
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 01:05 PM #384 of 608
I'm not concerned at all about reviews from critics. What I'm looking for is opinions from people who are fans of the games. They'll be the real judges of this film.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
randomwab
Aquila Jama 'oca

Member 494

Level 14.66

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 03:54 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 08:54 PM #385 of 608
No midnight previews or anything tonight So i'm going to see it tomorrow about 1.30, early as I can get to as I have a dentist appointment...ugh!

Motsy
Everyday a new adventure

Member 369

Level 13.25

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 04:00 PM Local time: Apr 20, 2006, 01:00 PM #386 of 608
My friends and I got our tickets for the 10:45 show tomorrow night. Seriously can't wait to see it -- I've been replaying all 4 games over the past 4 nights in anticipation.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 05:56 PM #387 of 608
A poster from Bloody-Disgusting gives a favorable review.

Quote:
I just had the privelage of seeing Silent Hill. I was blown away on levels I cant even begin to describe. I am a HUGE SH fan and this movie did not disappoint at all. The story is mainly the SH story with a few tweaks and differences, but it all came together into a modern masterpiece. The whole mood of the movie brings the game to life better then any video game/movie translation has ever even come close to. The back story is slightly vauge though so knowing the games story is a definite plus but if youve never played the games dont worry, you will understand what is going on just fine. Im excited just typing this cause Im remembering so many cool things that I wont spoil for anyone. It was so good Ill be going again tomorrow night. Just thought you all should know!!!
The post sounds a bit fanboyish, but it's a good start.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 06:16 PM #388 of 608
I've been following the news on this movie for a long while, and I can't wait to see it. It may be a bit masochistic since I'm a huge wuss with horror movies and will no doubt be scared pantsless, but that's the fun of it. Sadly, it'll be a week or two before I can thanks to end of semester school work, but it sounds like it'll be well worth the wait.

Could someone give me an overview of how the first game ends though? I played it, but before I could beat it the US postal service ripped my memory card out of its envelope and destroyed it. Partially my fault for mailing it during the time when they were all paranoid about anthrax and lumpy packages. I have SH2 as well, but I still plan to finish that someday.

Most amazing jew boots
SketchTheArtist
"I did a 'Full-Cycle'."

Member 2373

Level 22.69

Mar 2006

Old Apr 20, 2006, 11:08 PM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 01:08 AM #389 of 608
Hey there!

Just came back from my screening of Silent Hill! I'm pretty speechless right now since this is one of the first Horror movie in a long time that doesn't take the viewer for dumb-bells.

I must warn EVERYONE who's planning on watching it that they need to understand the mythology of the town of Silent Hill to understand the movie and ESPECIALLY the ending (which, by the way, has nothing to do with the many endings of the original game). I'm a hardcore SH fan and even I had to pop the pieces back together during the amazing credits.

So, if you have ANY questions, fire away!

Skëtch's DVD Collection!
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:45 AM #390 of 608
Originally Posted by SketchTheArtist
I must warn EVERYONE who's planning on watching it that they need to understand the mythology of the town of Silent Hill to understand the movie and ESPECIALLY the ending (which, by the way, has nothing to do with the many endings of the original game). I'm a hardcore SH fan and even I had to pop the pieces back together during the amazing credits.
Yes, seriously plan on not liking it if you don't know the mythology. This movie was made for us fans, and people who haven't played SH 1 or 3 will hate it.

The people I were with absolutely hated it. They also didn't understand the mythology behind it. Me? I felt neutral about it. I was EXTREMELY impressed on many levels, and on others, disappointed. I give it a 6 out of 10.

Pros -

1. INCREDIBLE visuals. Production value is through the roof. Best production design I've seen in any horror movie, PERIOD. It is spot-on to the game, and aside from that, it just looks amazing on it's own.

2. Great soundtrack made up of previous SH music. Fits it perfectly

3. Awesome gore when it happens

4. PYRAMID HEAD!!

Cons-

1. Story is way too convoluted and very poorly delivered, even for us who know what's going on.

2. Not enough scariness.

3. Placement of creatures is too spotty

4. Not enough Pyramid Head

Overall, the atmosphere is what makes this movie work. Visually and aurally, it's unrivaled in horror. It's just as fucked up as the games, the story is just not as tight or as well-delivered. The mythology is just too much to handle in a 2 hour flick. Give me a movie based on SH 2 and we have a winner. That story could easily work in a 2 hour time frame AND be kick ass.

Still, a damn good video game adaptation none the less.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 12:55 AM #391 of 608
Although to be honest I do not recall the story for any of the games being in-your-face obvious. A lot of it was ambiguous and metaphorical and to understand it you had to think through it, read around, talk about it, etc. I didn't understand Silent Hill 3 at first and Silent Hill 4 is still confusing to me. Silent Hill 2 has to be the most straightforward of all the games, but even then there are aspects which take some time to think through.

Since I've never really played through Silent Hill, I will go in there somewhat "cold" (but not entirely, since Silent Hill 3 alludes to the original a lot) so to speak and I'll see if I can make sense of the plot.

If the story truly is convoluted, I feel the movie will be lost to the critics unless all the other aspects greatly make up for this.

FELIPE NO
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 01:00 AM #392 of 608
It simply doesn't deliver it as well as the game does. It does a decent job at getting it across in 2 hours, but for a story THAT deep you really need a full 10+ hour game to do it.

The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 01:12 AM #393 of 608
Again, could someone fill me in on what is the basic gist of the end of Silent Hill 1 (or link me to somewhere with a good explanation of the mythos)? I'd like to go into the movie knowing at least that, since I only got about halfway through the game before my memory card was destroyed by the postal service.

Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 01:19 AM #394 of 608
http://db.gamefaqs.com/console/psx/f...ill_plot_b.txt

Check that out for all your SH 1 plot info.

The more I think about it, the more I think that the movie should have seriously been a game.

And also, as it flows through my head more, the character of Dahlia is much different that in the game. You'll understand when you see everything unfold.

Most amazing jew boots
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 01:43 AM #395 of 608
Your review disappoints me greatly.

Well, I'm still set to see this around noon tommorow, so hopefully I'll enjoy it moreso.

Mobius One
X

Member 2171

Level 19.11

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:07 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 03:07 AM #396 of 608
Originally Posted by Tritoch
Again, could someone fill me in on what is the basic gist of the end of Silent Hill 1
I just found this:
http://www.absolute-playstation.com/...walkshill6.htm

I just beat the first SH game for the first time tonight, and I found that I barely knew anything in that analyis. Where is all that information coming from? Surely we're not supposed to infer all that about the cult and the demons from the story of the game, which barely tells us anything. Did I miss some chunks of story somewhere, or is this information coming from other official outside sources?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

[ MOBIUS ]
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:14 AM #397 of 608
Did you play Silent Hill 2-4?

Also, much of it is speculation.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 02:25 AM #398 of 608
Originally Posted by sprouticus
It simply doesn't deliver it as well as the game does. It does a decent job at getting it across in 2 hours, but for a story THAT deep you really need a full 10+ hour game to do it.
See, I think this is true with a lot of games, but I have to say I feel that this is not true with Silent Hill. The depth comes from the little things, but the actual plot in my opinion is pretty concise so much that you can sum it up well enough in a paragraph.

I guess I mean to say, the plot doesn't have to be convoluted. Stick with the basics first and develop as much as possible.

How ya doing, buddy?
Freddy Krueger
Good Chocobo

Member 1982

Level 18.37

Mar 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 05:47 AM #399 of 608
Man this movie was great, me and 5 friends went but we never played the 1st game and yet we all loved it. Could someone explain the ending though plz?

How ya doing, buddy?
rossbarney2003
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 5362

Level 2.12

Apr 2006

Old Apr 21, 2006, 06:09 AM Local time: Apr 21, 2006, 12:09 PM #400 of 608
I'm going to the 6.20 show. Im running home, getting changed, walking into town, buying snacks then going to watch it.

I have been reading opinions and the seem to be mixed. I suppose you will just have to see it for youself.

I have been waiting so long for this so i'm hoping it will be good. I'm a big fan of Silent Hill games. I have 1 to 4 but i haven't played 1 yet, i just never have time. I hope it won't mean I won't enjoy the movie as much, although i do kinda know the basics.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Silent Hill movie