Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Xbox 360 Discussion. Thermal paste, the delicious and nutricious snack of the future.

Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Sep 12, 2007, 11:11 AM Local time: Sep 12, 2007, 09:11 AM #376 of 851
Rez in High Resolution. Educated guess would say that it's just going to be the core areas, right? Will we see "Trance Mission" and the other little features from the previous releases? And god, all of the trance vibrator jokes I keep seeing elsewhere are really lame. Those guys are a few Gamegirl Advance articles short of a clever remark.

And hey, I'm wrong about Ikaruga being a rumor. But it's good to be wrong, in this case. Now if only it could be even better and they really mean a Radiant Silvergun XBLA release.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2007, 03:10 AM Local time: Sep 13, 2007, 12:10 AM #377 of 851
If anything is anything like VP2 it should be avoided like the fucking plague。

Hahahaha "terrain strategy" yeah, hiding behind a rock to avoid being hit is some genius strategy。
Well, then what would you suggest? In an actual battle, people probably hide behind rocks and pillars to avoid getting hit. Not saying its a genius or innovative plan, but it makes sense and adds more strategy to it than just having front and back rows like your typical JRPG. I like the fact I'm not stuck on one position and taking hits like a bitch.

Well, its all personal opinions in the end. I still like the amusing fact that in VP2, height also plays a huge part with terrain, esepcially if I'm standing under a small cliff the enemy tries to shoot me from upwards. INSTANT MISS.

Then again, I have yet to play Persona 3 (Damn Australia.), so maybe I'm missing out on something even better... Hence these thoughts on VP2.

How ya doing, buddy?

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Single Elbow
You have no dignity.

Member 707

Level 34.01

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2007, 04:26 AM Local time: Sep 13, 2007, 02:26 AM #378 of 851
Quote:
In an actual battle, people probably hide behind rocks and pillars to avoid getting hit.
Real-life battles, that is. Because we all know that RPGs have bosses that have powers that leave the heroes damaged regardless where they hide.

Sup Freya (SO3).

Also yeah Undiscovery is that pic.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Sep 13, 2007, 09:20 AM #379 of 851
I like the fact I'm not stuck on one position and taking hits like a bitch.
If you don't like being hit like a bitch, don't play Persona 3. The game controls 3 of your characters for you, making you feel helpless sometimes.

Additional Spam:
Rez in High Resolution. Educated guess would say that it's just going to be the core areas, right? Will we see "Trance Mission" and the other little features from the previous releases?
The question is "How much will they charge extra for those features?"

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by value tart; Sep 13, 2007 at 09:25 AM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2007, 07:10 PM Local time: Sep 18, 2007, 06:10 PM #380 of 851
Hmm, looks like Best Buy is gonna be sponsoring a three day period of Live, making everyone who's got a Silver account have Gold functionality for the period of the 25th, 26th, and 27th. I guess the few of us here who don't have Gold can get in on the Halo shenanigans while it's piping hot.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Sep 18, 2007, 07:19 PM #381 of 851
I know there are people like that out there, but seriously, who buys a 360 and doesn't get Gold? The whole point of the system is online multiplayer, and without Live you've just got an overpriced Wii with no motion controls that breaks every so often.

I was speaking idiomatically.
K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2007, 02:14 PM #382 of 851
I'm just wondering on how good the Wireless Adapter is at picking up (say) hotel Wi-fi and if there is any real way to test this (since my DS is incompatable with it i dont want to drop the $100 on one)

Most amazing jew boots
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2007, 02:19 PM Local time: Sep 29, 2007, 08:19 PM #383 of 851
I'm just wondering on how good the Wireless Adapter is at picking up (say) hotel Wi-fi and if there is any real way to test this (since my DS is incompatable with it i dont want to drop the $100 on one)
I got it yesterday and I can't really say I'm having any complaints, though my router is near my 360 so I suppose I can't give you a full assesment but so far so good and it took literally 30 seconds to get it working, it does a scan for networks within range and asks you to enter your WEP key. I've heard that 1 or 2 and by that I mean a very select few people are having problems on forums (I researched before I bought it) and the root cause being the router they are trying to connect the 360 to being incompatible.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by El Ray Fernando; Sep 29, 2007 at 02:24 PM.
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 29, 2007, 03:17 PM #384 of 851
There's always compatability issues between makes, but I find as long as you stick with name brand it's fine. The adapter in absurdly priced, but at the very least you do get a decent product. I got the adaptor back when I got my system and I've had no drop-outs or any issues while even hosting games to speak of. With a laptop scanner my signal reads about 70% at about 45feet away from my router to give you an idea what my operating stats are.

Considering the price I wouldn't use the adaptor unless you absolutely had to, but if you have to you know you should be alright as far as performance goes.

Dakhathsk
WARKWARK!!!!!!!!

Member 4540

Level 2.50

Apr 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 10:15 PM #385 of 851
Question about the XboX 360

I'm planning on purchasing an Xbox 360 in the near future but I do not have a high definition TV yet. I'll probably get one of those in the future as well but for now I'm stuck with standard definition.

My question is, will the Xbox 360 even work on a normal definition TV or is it high def only?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:09 PM #386 of 851
Some stuff is near impossible to read on SD though, like Dead Rising and Forza 2.

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Oct 5, 2007, 11:55 PM 1 #387 of 851
I'm planning on purchasing an Xbox 360 in the near future but I do not have a high definition TV yet. I'll probably get one of those in the future as well but for now I'm stuck with standard definition.

My question is, will the Xbox 360 even work on a normal definition TV or is it high def only?
The 360 will work on a normal definition TV, and you will be able to notice a graphical difference.

There are a couple of games, like Dead Rising, where the game makers are assholes and decide that they're going to make their text readable on only HDTVs, but those are thankfully rare occasions and I'd think usually they'd patch it. Dead Rising guys were dicks about it, though.

You'll probably hear a lot of people say that the 360 looks like a PS2 on an SDTV, and you should instantly reply they're full of shit. Yes, there is a HUGE difference between an SDTV and an HDTV, but the fact of the matter is on an SDTV you can still see some of the biggest improvements: Draw distance is ENORMOUS on most 360 games compared to the PS2. Fog barely shows up unless it's supposed to be there. Also, the amount of objects onscreen is way way up from older systems. Texture quality is also markedly improved, especially from the PS2. PS2's problem was how a lot of the textures in its games looked like they were about 5x5 pixels spread on a 1000x1000 canvas, looking incredibly blurry. You can still clearly see that there's a lot more resolution in textures on the 360.

I played on an SDTV for the first year and a half that I had my 360, then upgraded to an HDTV. There are definitely a few advantages, and the main one is that the GUI in a lot of games feels less cluttered on an HDTV. Because the screen is wider, the components can be shoved farther away from each other, leaving the field of view feeling fuller. I never ran into a game where it was a PROBLEM on the SDTV, it was just nicer upgrading to the HDTV.

All in all, there is absolutely no reason why you shouldn't play the 360 on an SDTV unless you're a graphics-wanking faggot who counts pixels for fun. And since you don't own an HDTV, I'm going to assume you're not one of those, and tell you to have fun playing it.

IMPORTANT! Make sure you buy at least the premium (white box) edition. Since you're planning on upgrading to an HDTV in the future, this will save you the headache of spending $40-some right after buying your new TV for cables that output as component. The ones that come with the system have a switch that enables it to do SD cables, so it's easier to get that cable before the TV.

Last edited by value tart; Oct 5, 2007 at 11:58 PM.
rpgcrazied
Good Chocobo

Member 540

Level 19.15

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:03 AM #388 of 851
do you think the new chips will be in the 360s around xmas? Thats when i prob can get one.

I just dont want to get the red rings of death when i get it.. seeing as how the only way i can get one, is for a xmas present.

Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:13 AM #389 of 851
Get a good HDTV when you're good and ready for one. Prices are always falling but be sure to research before you buy because with gaming you need a TV with a high contrast ratio, at least an 8 ms response time, and at least does 720p. If it's just to be a personal gaming TV for your room or dorm room I'd recommend a 32 inch Samsung. That's what I have. About a year ago I paid 1300 bucks and you can now get one for as low as 800 dollars. That just shows you how things are moving along. Wonderful TVs for gaming I must say.

Samsung LN-T3253H
SAMSUNG LN-T3253H LCD TV-televisions
Samsung LN-T3253H 32" HD LCD TV: Compare Prices, View Price History and Read Reviews at NexTag

That's just what I'd recommend. Go browse other manufactures but be sure to keep the specs in mind. You want as low a response time as possible and as high a contrast ratio as possible. Compare them to the model I've provided.

I was speaking idiomatically.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Auditor
Syklis Green

Member 22456

Level 7.02

May 2007

Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:42 AM #390 of 851
do you think the new chips will be in the 360s around xmas? Thats when i prob can get one.

I just dont want to get the red rings of death when i get it.. seeing as how the only way i can get one, is for a xmas present.
Well, I read on team x-box that the Halo edition 360 has the new chipset. Better cooling and much quieter.
Here's pictures of it. I think there's still a chance you could get the ones with the old chip, even at x-mas time. I think you may have to get the halo edition version to make sure you end up with one lol.

New Xbox 360 Innards Spotted. Have 65nm CPUs Arrived? - Xbox

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Auditor; Oct 6, 2007 at 12:46 AM.
Dakhathsk
WARKWARK!!!!!!!!

Member 4540

Level 2.50

Apr 2006

Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:16 PM #391 of 851
One more question regarding the 360. Will it also play High definition DVD movies?

FELIPE NO
russ
Go-kart track, grocery store, those remote control boats...

Member 222

Level 36.56

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2007, 12:24 PM Local time: Oct 6, 2007, 11:24 AM #392 of 851
You have to buy the $180 US HD-DVD player add-on if you want to watch HD-DVDs.

I didn't say I wouldn't go fishin' with the man.
All I'm sayin' is, if he comes near me, I'll put him in the wall.
Old Oct 6, 2007, 05:21 PM #393 of 851
I hear that it's not as competent a high definition media player as say the PS3 though so I honestly wouldn't bother. I'd recommend buying an actual HD-DVD player but that's just me.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 6, 2007, 06:10 PM #394 of 851
Audio-wise, the 360 HD-DVD player is ass. The best it can do is downmix and wrap TrueHD and DD+ tracks to 1.5mbps DTS. The player also had a compressed dynamic range, but I am not sure if recent firmware updates had fixed that.

All cool people have an XA1, XA2, or A35.

Old Oct 6, 2007, 09:25 PM #395 of 851
Honestly, I'd just wait around for Samsung to release their Duo HD BD-UP5000 that fully plays both Blu-ray and HD-DVD media and get the best of both worlds in one device. That's just me though. It's supposed to come out this holiday season.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Macksis
...and then there was ME!

Member 756

Level 6.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2007, 05:49 AM #396 of 851
I'm thinking of picking up a 360 in the near future. (Made the mistake of playing Geometry Wars and now I'm an addict.) But I have a slight problem. I'm not a fan of FPS. The kind people at Gamestop tell me that roughly 50% of 360 games are FPS. And the remaining 50% is split among all the remaining genres. How accurate is this assertion? Am I wasting money buying a system dominated by a genre I dont like?

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2007, 06:06 AM Local time: Oct 16, 2007, 12:06 AM #397 of 851
Quote:
Am I wasting money buying a system dominated by a genre I dont like?
Basically yes, the 360 is dominated by racing/sports/FPS. If you want fighters or RPGs, buy a PS2, they're much cheaper.

How ya doing, buddy?
OmagnusPrime
Flipping cups since 2014

Member 423

Level 39.65

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2007, 06:28 AM Local time: Oct 15, 2007, 11:28 AM #398 of 851
I'm thinking of picking up a 360 in the near future. (Made the mistake of playing Geometry Wars and now I'm an addict.)
Given that Geometry Wars: Galaxies is on the way (coming to a Wii and DS near you), then the 360 is very much not your only choice. If the other games on the 360 don't interest you then I'd say hold out for that to appear.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Macksis
...and then there was ME!

Member 756

Level 6.55

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2007, 02:15 PM #399 of 851
Given that Geometry Wars: Galaxies is on the way (coming to a Wii and DS near you)
I remember reading about that on IGNs website. My only concern is that the game is challenging enough as it is without the use of wiimote controls. I wonder how that'll effect the overall experience?
Also, once Ninja Gaiden 2 comes out, I will be obligated to play that game, any games you could recommend to distract me until then?

FELIPE NO
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Oct 15, 2007, 04:27 PM Local time: Oct 15, 2007, 04:27 PM #400 of 851
If you're looking forward to Ninja Gaiden 2, you're probably going to want to play Assassin's Creed as well.

I've found that I've been able to enjoy myself playing Viva PiƱata and Skate. while I'm not playing FPS'es on my 360 (because I also like a little bit of variety in the games I play).

<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Xbox 360 Discussion. Thermal paste, the delicious and nutricious snack of the future.