Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Anime] Death Note

soulsteelgray
And now for something new

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 16, 2006, 10:16 PM Local time: Oct 16, 2006, 09:16 PM #326 of 573
You'd think that news like this would circulate faster.

Probably in anticipation for the release of DEATH NOTE: the Last name on November 3rd, DEATH NOTE will air on NTV on October 27th. Yep, you read that right. It's going to air on TV before getting a DVD release. The catch is that it's a director's cut, but what that entails isn't exactly clear. I'm certainly not complaining since I'm pretty sure it's going to air in HD.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Sexninja
Contents Under Pressure

Member 1142

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 01:46 AM Local time: Oct 17, 2006, 11:46 AM #327 of 573
Man Ryuk is fucking funny,i laughed my ass out on some of his lines like "Juicy" and
"it will make you, the only bastard left".

Animation is top-notch,amazed when light write's in names and how random killings are shown.I hope they will continie this standard.

FELIPE NO
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 17, 2006, 07:00 PM #328 of 573
awesome news,gray.

Episode 3 was released a while ago. They animation was kinda toned down a little in the scene with Raito and Sayu lol. He looked like he had a face(mostly the eyes) of a pixelated Arngrim from VP. but thats just me XD. The rest is fine.

This episode was a few deaths. More of Souchiro's team leaving cause they're scared. We're also introduced to Raye Penbar who lurks around in the shadows. And finally the Shinigami Eyes that's making Raito shit in his pants. The theme song in that scene is pretty creepy btw.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Conan-the-3rd
[Insert genie + computing pun here]

Member 2804

Level 19.40

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 03:54 PM Local time: Oct 19, 2006, 09:54 PM #329 of 573
I Loved both ep 1 and ep 2 for theier animation sequences (plus the Story, whilst you'd think such a primace would be silly, it works quite well) and How it all works like the manga only with being kicked up a notch, BAMM!

I awate ep3 with bated breath (and by that I meen subs).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
All I'm saying is that if the laptops of the future are not in the
shape of chibi genie girls then I'm going to be sorely disappointed.
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 19, 2006, 05:13 PM #330 of 573
As much as I like waiting for Live-Evil and know what the characters are saying (if you read the manga), Here's TW's Episode 3.

http://www.sendspace.com/file/3uy533

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Roku
Looking towards a better tomorrow

Member 1255

Level 10.12

Mar 2006

Old Oct 20, 2006, 10:19 AM #331 of 573
The Death Note movie was released in Singapore yesterday, and I just saw it on the big screens tonight. Here's some hands-on impressions the movie's made, as well as random critiques... I'll try to make as spoiler free as possible, though those who never read the manga should steer clear of this...

I'm a big fan of accurate book to movie adaptations, so I was quite annoyed at the beginning to find very big changes from the manga. And the changes were made for no apparant reason other than the producers thought it'd attract a bigger audience or something - you are thrown right into the midst of Kira killings in the very beginning of the film, and almost every single scene involving Light acquiring the notebook and subsequently meeting Ryuk was manipulated to a more dramatic setting (or so they try to convey). And the worrying trend of seeing Shiori (remember Light's girlfriend who went with him on the bus?) playing quite a bigger role in the movie.

The choice of the actor for Yagami Light I thought could have been better - Tatsuya Fujiwara has this tendency to smirk all the time, even in serious scenes which just goes against the whole Light personality as this eeriely unemotional and cold guy. Being expressionless is better than having a smirk on your face half the time. L's portrayal and acting was by far better.

That said, I thought that despite the weak beginning, and the myriad deviations from the manga, the development and ending was pulled off very well. In fact, the ending was a surprise (yeah, you won't know from reading the manga) - but it was pulled off so well and so ingeniously thought out that I couldn't say anything bad about it. It was an awesome ending to the film... gives you a climax while advancing the plot.

Spoiler:
The movie ends with Light meeting L for the first time face to face - L introducing himself as L. No, that's not the *surprise* - I'll let you find that out while watching it...

You're left with a cliffhanger - people around me were going "Huh? They ended like that?", so I think a sequel may be forth coming. I mean, the introduction of Misa was so short and seems pointless if there isn't a sequel.

Here ya go, I surprised myself by actually enjoying a movie adaptation of the manga - though the anime adaptation is better by far. Still, something good to go see on a Friday night...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2006, 12:58 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2006, 11:58 AM #332 of 573
There's two different raws for the movie (since it aired on NTV yesterday), one by Saiyaman and one available through DeltaAnime Torrents. I'm not sure on the specifics of the Saiyaman encode, but the one that DA has is in 1440 x 810 resolution.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2006, 01:35 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2006, 10:35 AM #333 of 573
Originally Posted by Roku
You're left with a cliffhanger - people around me were going "Huh? They ended like that?", so I think a sequel may be forth coming. I mean, the introduction of Misa was so short and seems pointless if there isn't a sequel.

Here ya go, I surprised myself by actually enjoying a movie adaptation of the manga - though the anime adaptation is better by far. Still, something good to go see on a Friday night...
Thanks for the update, man. Good to hear that despite changes and some questionable acting on Light's part, the movie is still enjoyable. As for the sequel, one's already been confirmed and it's set to debut in Japan very soon.

Trailer.

I was speaking idiomatically.
soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Oct 28, 2006, 08:58 PM Local time: Oct 28, 2006, 07:58 PM #334 of 573
I just finished watching the movie and it was great. Manga purists should probably stay away from the movie because it does end up omitting some things out (as well as inserting new things that don't seem to have any relevance at all) from what was originally in the manga, but overall I enjoyed the movie very much.

Spoiler:
Said manga purists probably hate the addition of Shiori into the movie, but after actually seeing her purpose in the movie, I thought that adding her character into the movie was a great move. It also showed just how despicable Light can be since he plainly confessed to Ryuk with a hint of a grin, "I killed Shiori, too." I mean, that plan he came up with to get rid of both Naomi and Shiori... good stuff.

The TV broadcast had a nice little clip from DEATH NOTE: the Last name at the end of the movie. Yay for Rem! You can watch the clip on YouTube.

Last edited by soulsteelgray; Oct 28, 2006 at 09:01 PM.
BluencoolX
Still bluencool

Member 3021

Level 4.50

Mar 2006

Old Oct 31, 2006, 12:37 PM Local time: Nov 1, 2006, 01:37 AM #335 of 573
Originally Posted by soulsteelgray
Spoiler:
Said manga purists probably hate the addition of Shiori into the movie, but after actually seeing her purpose in the movie, I thought that adding her character into the movie was a great move. It also showed just how despicable Light can be since he plainly confessed to Ryuk with a hint of a grin, "I killed Shiori, too." I mean, that plan he came up with to get rid of both Naomi and Shiori... good stuff.

Yes, the movie was pretty good. If you think about it,
Spoiler:
the plan of killing both of them was the only way to meet L and Light was absolutely sure that it will go as he planned, since he knows that Naomi and L knew each other. When Light wrote in the deathnote that Naomi will get "someone" to witness her get a confession out of him, he is convinced that the person she calls will be L himself. Killing off Shiori was also necessary to portray himself as an innocent victim... but we all know L did not buy that. That bag of chips he was eating while personally welcoming Light into the team at the end was an obvious challenge to Light.

Man... I can't wait for Deathnote 2 to be out.

FELIPE NO
"SHORYUKEN~!!!"
chocohi
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 11529

Level 1.10

Aug 2006

Old Nov 1, 2006, 03:14 AM Local time: Nov 1, 2006, 06:14 PM #336 of 573
i just started watching the anime, and its ridiculously crazy! i love it

great concept, great graphics and very twisted too. i like i like!

i would recommend this to anyone really, though i usually always watch comedy.
I haven't read the manga or seen the movie yet though.

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 1, 2006, 06:48 AM #337 of 573
And so we wrap up another day of Episode 5 with the death of Raye Penbar, Light's stupid looking sweater and the whole L meeting with Souchiro Yagami. You can definately notice the young man in Aizawa with that kick ass fro XD. I believe it covered a few chapters in this one but the next episode we'll definately show L's face.

I also noticed that there aren't those little funny moments of Ryuk at all. Not cool. But at least they make up for alot of things. Episode 6 will start off from chapter 11. And I still need to see the movie.

CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 3, 2006, 05:44 AM Local time: Nov 3, 2006, 06:44 PM #338 of 573
Yeah, when will they release the DVDs?
Still waiting for them....
Unless they want to release the double movie at the same time!!

highlush
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 9893

Level 2.50

Jul 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 11:40 PM #339 of 573
hey guys, is the anime any good? cause i read the manga and it was so sick...does the anime do a good job of retelling the manga unlike naruto with its uberly shit fillers?

soulsteelgray

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Nov 4, 2006, 11:46 PM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 10:46 PM #340 of 573
Originally Posted by highlush
hey guys, is the anime any good? cause i read the manga and it was so sick...does the anime do a good job of retelling the manga unlike naruto with its uberly shit fillers?
The manga is over and it has only 108 chapters, so I'm assuming that the anime's going to adhere to the plot quite strictly.

Most amazing jew boots
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 01:15 AM Local time: Nov 4, 2006, 11:15 PM #341 of 573
Originally Posted by soulsteelgray
The manga is over and it has only 108 chapters, so I'm assuming that the anime's going to adhere to the plot quite strictly.
I wouldn't complain if they had a different ending actually, but otherwise yeah: the manga is filled up and done so the anime will be using it for the template/guide/etc.,.

Has episode 4 or beyond been in subs yet? ...or am I being impatient? I know they broadcast in japan on Wednesdays, so maybe they put out one or two.

--edit--
Any news on a Sub for the Death Note Movie?

Last edited by Dark Nation; Nov 5, 2006 at 01:19 AM.
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 06:51 AM #342 of 573
I've been avoiding this series becuase of my own ignorance.
I just happened to stumble across the manga and freakin loved it. Saw the first episode as well and thought it was awsome. I just wish I would have known how good the manga was so that I could have read it ahead of time.
Although the manga looks to have a dark humorous side but the first episode seemed to hide it a little bit.

There are around 5 episodes released so far but there are so many sub groups. Which one is most recommended?

New Record!
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 09:08 AM #343 of 573
I usually stick with Live-Evil's fansubs. Whenever I see a Shinsen-Sub version. I'll grab those. The Raw for the movie is out.. No subs yet =/

FELIPE NO
Arkhangelsk
Good to see you, England

Member 524

Level 28.48

Mar 2006

Old Nov 5, 2006, 12:32 PM Local time: Nov 5, 2006, 11:32 AM #344 of 573
It was said that the anime would change some things around (shortening the Yotsuba group story arc wouldn't be a bad idea...), but since the manga is done and finished, I think they're going to stick closer to the basic ideas it's set forth instead of doing their own thing or adding lots of stupid filler.

The main problem comes up when the manga is still going or is on hiatus, and the company has to make up their own plots to fill holes in the story.

Wai
Syklis Green

Member 3321

Level 6.75

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 05:16 AM Local time: Nov 7, 2006, 12:16 PM #345 of 573
i read the whole manga last weekend. im not so satisfied with the ending. kinda dissappointing. the last chapter was unnessacary

chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Nov 7, 2006, 08:09 PM #346 of 573
So far the anime is going all according to the manga and not just the koma panels O.o;. This voice actor for L is doing a great job so far. Good thing it wasn't Paku Romi . Episode 6 was basically about chapter 11 and 12 for those who wanted to know.

Last edited by chato; Nov 8, 2006 at 06:29 PM.
CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 10, 2006, 03:36 AM Local time: Nov 10, 2006, 04:36 PM #347 of 573
Okay I know that the torrent for this movie was out a while ago, but for those who haven't seen it or want to dl the "RAW version" here it is! (Yes, there are still scarse amount of seeders, but you CAN complete the dl if you are patient)

Quality: VERY GOOD
size: 1.26 gig
download type: Torrent
Run-time: approx 2hr
Staring:
Ken'ichi Matsuyama as L
Tatsuya Fujiwara as Light
Erika Toda as Misa Amane

>>click here [mininova]

*Edit*
Sorry, no english Sub, however from another forum... theres a Chinese sub released!!
chinese SUUBED

Quality: Same as above, funny enough
size: 593.27
download type: Torrent
Run-time: approx 2hr
Staring:
Ken'ichi Matsuyama as L
Tatsuya Fujiwara as Light
Erika Toda as Misa Amane

>>click here[torrentspy] *chinese subbed

credits for chinese subbed: SNoW*

Last edited by CuteChocobo; Nov 10, 2006 at 03:38 AM.
Cirno
⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨⑨

Member 980

Level 30.09

Mar 2006

Old Nov 12, 2006, 07:24 PM Local time: Nov 12, 2006, 04:24 PM #348 of 573
Ending spoilers for Death Note: The Last Name. This also suggests that there might not be a third movie.

AnimeSuki Source.

Spoiler:
The movie begins with where the first one left off, with Misa obtaining the second DN and meeting the second shinigami, Rem.

We are then shown the funeral of Light's girlfriend, whose death was staged by Light to make people sympathize with him.

Light is then brought to L's underground investigative HQ, where when playing a game of chess, L reveals he still suspects Light, despite all that's happened.

The movie then closely follows the manga in introducing the "second Kira". Misa sends a tape announcing that she wishes to meet Kira, and gives a demonstration of her powers by killing people live on TV. The difference this time is that all this happened while there was a anniversary party in front of the TV station, where Sayu, Light's sister was there as well.

After the commotion with Light's dad coming to the rescue and forcing the transmission to be terminated, Light came to pick up a devastated Sayu. Unbeknownst to him, Misa, who's a celebrity herself in the TV station, happens to see Light, and notices that she could not see Light's lifespan, she now knows he's the owner of the DN - Kira.

As in the manga, Misa pays Light a visit, gives Light her DN. She then visits Light at college, and bumps into L, where she figures out his name, but L had her captured at once. Rem erases Misa's memories of the DN and urges Light to rescue Misa.

In the manga, Rem, under Light's instruction, gives the DN to Higuchi, a greedy corporate executive. In the movie, Higuchi's role is taken over by Takada Kiyomi, a junior reporter who's resentful that she isn't the anchorwoman. (In the manga, Kiyomi was Light's classmate in college. )

Upon receiving the DN, she decides to do more coverage on Kira in a positive way, this allows her career to elevate. She also kills off the current anchorwoman who only got to her position by sleeping with the producer along the way to becoming the new anchorwoman. Yet by making this petty revenge and the increase in media coverages concerning Kira, both L and Light (who has temporarily lost his memory as he relinquishes control of the DN for now) are able to track her down very quickly.

Upon recovering the DN and its memories and killing off Kiyomi, Light asks Misa to recover the other DN which he has buried in a nearby forest, and asks her to begin killing criminals again.

This is where the ending deviates from the manga.

L suspects Misa right away, and has Watari bring Misa over. At the same time, he says he wanted to test the (fake) 13 day rule, and arranges for Light's dad to bring the DN they have with them to test it on death row prisoners.

After sending everyone else away, it's just L and Light left in the HQ. L says he knows Misa would bring her DN along as she has forgotten L's name and wouldn't want to miss this chance to write down his name this time.

Rem realizes Light is forcing her to save Misa. She disappears behind the wall and reluctantly begins to write down some names. Rem slowly disintegrates to dust, but before doing so, she destroys her own DN in a burst of blue flames as she did not want Light to obtain her DN. (Unlike in the manga, where Light retrieved her DN from her ashes. )

L collapses and goes into a spasm, he realizes Light is really Kira, but says it's too late and closes his eyes. Misa exits the elevator - while witnessing Watari dying of a heart attack - and meets Light, who declares that they have won.

Or have they?

Spoiler:
Misa gives Light her DN, and the first thing Light does is write down his father's name - to the shock of Misa. Light has his father hand over the DN to him before dying of a heart attack. He says sacrifices needs to be made if a new world is to be born.

Light's father returns on cue and carries the briefcase containing the DN. Light says how sorry he is and that he has always respected his dad, but says what he did is necessary for the world. Light's father remained silent, and opens the briefcase - to show there's nothing inside.

The rest of the investigative team appears and has Light at gunpoint while Misa is handcuffed. Light is baffled, only to be confronted by none other than......L, who is STILL well and alive.

After the first day when Misa has recovered her DN, L confirms the deaths of the criminals and has locked down Misa as his prime suspect. He secretly has Misa's DN exchanged for a fake one. L has the real DN with him.

How can he still be alive? There's a rule in the DN that says once a person's cause of death is written, it cannot be changed. So L decides to put his own life on the line and wrote his own name down (though the audience still could not see his real name), where he will "die peacefully 23 days from now". As he has already written his own death, what Rem wrote on her DN would not be applicable on L, and thus L is guaranteed to live for another 20 days. Though L is saddened that he could not protect Watari.

He convinces Light's dad to take part in this set-up, Light's dad was shocked at L's determination to go so far, and in the end agreed. Light's dad is saddened to see his son fall to such depths, and he has no choice but to have him arrested. Light tries to write some names on the DN paper inside his hidden watch compartment (I'd like to get my hands on such a watch), but is shot by Matsuda the marksman.

As a last resort, he urges Ryuk to kill everyone in return for showing Ryuk even more interesting stuff, but Ryuk isn't buying that, and writes Light's name down. Light writhes in pain as he dies in the arms of his father, who came rushing to him, while Misa was devastated, falling on the ground sobbing.

L says he would burn the remaining DN, much to the disappointment of Ryuk, who then goes home.

20 days later:

Interpol says they did not believe anything about the DN, and has decided that this matter has come to a close and they will leave it as that.

L sits alone in the HQ eating candy, Light's dad comes in and commends L for his sacrifice. He then salutes L and leaves. L then "dies peacefully", at his side is a photo of the late Watari.

One year later:

Yagami's mom and sister Sayu both lament at the death of Light one year ago. As it's snowing outside, Sayu, carrying an umbrella, goes to the station to pick her dad up. She says it's been a year since Kira "disappeared", and that the world has gone back to the way it's been. But she's not disappointed, as she believed that it was Kira that killed her brother, and that his death was not in vain as he had managed to bring Kira down before dying. Light's dad hopes that she would never know the truth.

The final scene shows Misa, who lost all her memories concerning the DN and thus could not be prosecuted, mourning for Light's death a year ago. She senses that she's missing something important, but could not remember what it was. The camera then pans outside the window on Tokyo Tower, where Ryuk is seen flying towards the audience, laughing away.

Personally liked the manga's ending more, but this should make all the haters and
Spoiler:
L lovers
happy.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Cirno; Nov 12, 2006 at 07:27 PM.
CuteChocobo
Rurounin Translator

Member 1038

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Nov 14, 2006, 01:50 AM Local time: Nov 14, 2006, 02:50 PM #349 of 573
Yeah, I finally got a chance to go to Japan and finish this 2nd part of the movie. I have to say, its quite well written for a long volume manga into a short 4 hr film!

There are parts where I question the content, but otherwise its worth the watch. Now I will just have to wait for the DVD release which is looking at sometime in March 2007 (as announced in the movies)

joshi
be a man!

Member 1901

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Nov 16, 2006, 04:22 AM #350 of 573
it's probably a little soon, but does anyone have a decent sub of the Last Name available yet?

I've only just caught on with this series. I've read the first two volumes with plans to buy the third and fourth tomorrow, seen the first three episodes of the anime (the rest are downloading now), and I'm waiting a little bit to watch the first movie.
man, this series is ridiculously good. it reminds me a lot of Dexter, what with the main character obviously being a sociopath killing off people that they decide society would be better off without. it's really great and I'm totally addicted.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Anime] Death Note