Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2007, 12:20 AM #3351 of 3592
I was in for the last week and honestly it's a good game but I'm not sure if I'll buy it. It doesn't offer more then any fps like battlefield :\

I got interested in this game before they announced the drop of the single player and I wish they didn't drop it but the aircraft was the best part of the beta for me and I wish they would have kept the single player around that :\

but it's a very good game for people who like this genre ^^
Firstly, it is not a FPS. Also you seriously enjoyed the Warhawk? I thought it flew horribly and was basically a Airplane that had the controls of the Warthog, only far worse. Imagine Tails and Elliott Mason getting into a catfight while flying a plane and you have an accurate representation of how the Warhawk flys.

I got accepted into the Beta, 3 weeks before it ended and put in a good solid 15 hours into it. It is a fun game for what it is and i'm sure i'll buy a copy if skills and miles also grab a version of it for online awesomeness.

But just coming off the H3 beta which IMO was one of the most polished beta's i've ever played. Warhawk was horribly disappointing and so this really didn't help my preception of the game. You know a game has fundamental design flaws when the majority of players rush to tanks and jeeps and don't even bother with the namesake vehicle; the Warhawk.

Also the game was chalk-full of glitches. Numerous walls and mountains you could walk into like they didn't exist. Vehicles would spawn only to vanish 5 seconds later while your rushing to em. The beta would randomly freeze up and you'd have to reset your PS3. That's just to name a few and their are plenty more, trust me.

Also things like the VC implementation was done horribly as well. They really need to design a headset made specifically for the PS3 as too many jackasses had their Bluetooth headsets set-up and not noticing the volume control was set to the max and so you would hear like 4-6 jackasses breathing heavily the entire match and when they did speak, it sounded like they were speaking through a megaphone. It doesn't help either that the game does a shit job at properly displaying who is speaking, so when you go to mute someone; you don't know who is talking and so the only logical conclusion i could find was to just mute everyone instead of enduring having to manually mute each person one by one and exit the cumbersome menu to see if it was the right person.

Honestly, it is a decent game that will be very enjoyable if we could scrounge up a PSN crew ala the xblive crew and do some online-matches. But given that the entire GFF consists of a few people, most who don't have any interest in online gaming. I doubt this will ever come to fruitation, sadly. As it would be pretty sweet to play with the some of the PSN people.

Also Warhawk has the horrible disadvantage of being released around the same time that many superior online-enabled games are being released ala H3 and so even if i buy Warhawk as do you Skills, i doubt either of us will be putting much time into it when we have far more stable online games to play via the 360 with far more people we consider friends.

As like xbox live; the PSN is also saturated with a bunch of degenerate retards when it comes to online play and it is horrible playing online games with randoms without any incentive to do so ala achievement points.

Additional Spam:
Espcially since the game will be out in a month or 2, the demo that is released would give the impression that THIS is close to the final build. WE know thats not true, but the broad audience dunno what "research" means, and probably will never know and assume this is it.
Love the insinuations on your part. Even if the Demo is not based on the final build and an older one. It is no excuse for the Dev company to release an inferior demo from so many months ago, when the game is dropping in a month and a half; Espically when they have a more superior demo available. Countless of Demos on the 360 have swayed me to buy a game and even the Ninja Gaiden Sigma Demo swayed me to buy the game.

This is not the case with Heavenly sword. It was a game i was psyched for and I finally get ahold of the demo and find it has many many problems in many departments. I was thoroughly bummed.

Also i can guarantee you that the framerate issues that many people are complaining about will still be prevalent in the final build. I talked to my buddy who did get to play the E3 build, after people mentioned the demo was an earlier build and he said the slowdown was still around in the E3 build. I also love that the only people who state they didn't notice the framerate slowdown are confirmed PS3 fanboys; SouthJag and to a lesser extent, SlayerX.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Iwata; Jul 28, 2007 at 12:40 AM.
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2007, 12:44 AM #3352 of 3592
What are you talking about. Unless you hacked the unix OS, installed fraps on your PS3, and are a mastermind to engage it in the demo, I would say that my eye at gauging the FPSs is pretty accurate to previewers of the Gamer's Day build.

Secondly in response to, "It is no excuse for the Dev company to release an inferior demo from so many months ago, when the game is dropping in a month and a half..." reffer to my last post. I'm not going to repeat myself because you've decided to come late to the game. (Though you've obviously skimmed over things to get a just of what's going on)

Lastly I can't disprove whether you have a friend who's played the E3 demo or not. However that does not matter for like I said earlier. The VAST majority of games don't deals with FPSs until the near end of development. Therefore even the E3 build is HIGHLY subjecy yo change in performance before release.

To prove my point look at Dead Rising at the E3 before release and then release. Pratically every reviewer compained about the HUGE frame drop. However at retail release, this issue pretty much never came up.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2007, 12:49 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2007, 12:49 AM #3353 of 3592
The frame rate is the last thing developers work on anyway. I don't know how many developer interview I've read who all say the same thing -- frame rates come last. The final build is a month and a half away barring any release date setbacks, so I wouldn't worry about frame rate being an issue.

Also, lolin' at the two called-out PS3 fanboys were the first two to respond.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Nautilus
Exponential

Member 6767

Level 2.97

May 2006

Old Jul 28, 2007, 12:58 AM #3354 of 3592
Not trying to go off-topic, but I would like an outside opinion about this.

My friend and I have been arguing about the real stay power for the PS3. What I mean is that PSX was a system that lasted for a while even after PS2 came out and PS2 is the same. It had a crapload of great games that made the PS2 a real great investment (fun-wise) in the long run.

I really think, that Xbox 360 has a solid amount of good games that have lots of replay value, not to mention Xbox Live that expands the amount of content and fun exponentially.

Nintendo's Wii is another console that has a decent amount of fun games that even a hardcore gamer can have fun playing. I mean, I go from playing all the FF games and Tekken games and Resident Evil games on PS, but I enjoy playing Wii sports and Wario Ware and Twilight Princess.

PS3 doesn't look like it has any of either of those things. To me games play like they just took an old idea and put really fancy graphics and physics on it. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of some of the games that PS3 has, but it looks like PS2 rehashed with a Cell processor.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2007, 12:59 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2007, 12:59 AM #3355 of 3592
Well...I liked the Warhawk beta...

Like, a lot .

Maybe it's just me, though. I got pretty damn good at flying the Warhawk, so I thought it flew perfectly fine (I WILL admit that the default motion controls completely suck), and the game rarely freezed on me after the patch. I don't want to start anything, but I really don't think I encountered any of the glitches you stated, either :/. I will admit that I had to turn off the mic chat, but I'm also pretty sure that it was later changed so you had to press a button to talk. I don't know, the beta has been closed for a while...

I dunno. I just really enjoyed the pure chaos that it could provide.
Originally Posted by Nautilus
Don't get me wrong, I love the look of some of the games that PS3 has, but it looks like PS2 rehashed with a Cell processor.
But...but...you forgot the Sixaxis controller!!!

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by eprox1; Jul 28, 2007 at 01:03 AM.
Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2007, 01:04 AM #3356 of 3592
Not trying to go off-topic, but I would like an outside opinion about this.

My friend and I have been arguing about the real stay power for the PS3. What I mean is that PSX was a system that lasted for a while even after PS2 came out and PS2 is the same. It had a crapload of great games that made the PS2 a real great investment (fun-wise) in the long run.

I really think, that Xbox 360 has a solid amount of good games that have lots of replay value, not to mention Xbox Live that expands the amount of content and fun exponentially.

Nintendo's Wii is another console that has a decent amount of fun games that even a hardcore gamer can have fun playing. I mean, I go from playing all the FF games and Tekken games and Resident Evil games on PS, but I enjoy playing Wii sports and Wario Ware and Twilight Princess.

PS3 doesn't look like it has any of either of those things. To me games play like they just took an old idea and put really fancy graphics and physics on it. Don't get me wrong, I love the look of some of the games that PS3 has, but it looks like PS2 rehashed with a Cell processor.
The PS3 has an immense load of great games coming out for it; only problem is that most of these games are a year or two away from being released. Spec-wise, the PS3 and the 360 are equals, both with strengths and weaknesses that are unique to each console. Hell, Ratchet and Clank: ToD is one of my most anticipated games of this year and it is a PS3 game.

The way I see this gen going is

2007: Year of 360
2008: Year of PS3
2009: Year of 360
2010: Year of PS3
2006-2010: Wii, the leader of the 5-10 and +40 demographics

I also only made it 4 years as with the way technology is progessing, i don't see a console having a longer lifespan then 5 years at max, nowadays. I also find the whole PS3 ten year plan to be utter bullshit that won't last.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Iwata; Jul 28, 2007 at 01:10 AM.
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2007, 01:13 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2007, 01:13 AM #3357 of 3592
So in general, does Warhawk have a realistic Battlefield 1942/Battlefield 2 edge to it, or is the combat more arcade-like?

I was really disappointed to see that Warhawk dropped the single player, too. I wish they'd just kept the aerial missions for SP and then had the on-foot and other vehicles in MP. Frankly I'd gladly have spent an extra $20 for a single player campaign.

I was speaking idiomatically.
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2007, 01:14 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2007, 01:14 AM #3358 of 3592
2006-2010: Wii, the leader of the 5-10 and +40 demographics
I lol'd. Would you guys believe me if I said that I still have yet to actually try out that thing.

If these consoles only last until 2010, then I don't know if I'm going to be able to afford being a gamer .

Originally Posted by Skexis
So in general, does Warhawk have a realistic Battlefield 1942/Battlefield 2 edge to it, or is the combat more arcade-like?
Well, it's no flight simulator, that's for sure. The moment someone took off in one of those things, they would black out instantly. As of the beta, a lot of the weapons seemed pretty unbalanced, if you ask me :/. When a Warhawk fires its machine guns on someone running on the ground, it shouldn't take 30 seconds of straight firing to kill him. The pistol seemed way more powerful than the rifle, stuff like that. Supposedly all of this stuff is going to be fixed, as the developers released a list of confirmed changes being made to the game in the beta forums (which are no longer up. I could post them, if somebody wanted me to).

I can't really compare it to Battlefield, as I'm not too familiar with those games.

Quote:
I was really disappointed to see that Warhawk dropped the single player, too. I wish they'd just kept the aerial missions for SP and then had the on-foot and other vehicles in MP. Frankly I'd gladly have spent an extra $20 for a single player campaign.
I'm not exactly sure what I think about this. Apparently, the game director himself said that the single player campaign straight up sucked, and that he would rather have a kickass mulitiplayer game instead of a crippled single player game.

If anything, it would have been nice to see a well done single player mode.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by eprox1; Jul 28, 2007 at 01:32 AM.
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Jul 28, 2007, 01:27 AM Local time: Jul 28, 2007, 04:27 PM 1 #3359 of 3592
Don't worry, the way things are going, there'll be another huge market crash soon, and we can all enjoy games being cleared out at fifty cents a pop. :lovesmiley:

FELIPE NO
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2007, 02:19 AM #3360 of 3592
don't get me wrong guys I did enjoy the beta, I just didn't expect to be this kind of game. I compared it to battlefield not for the FPS view but more for the mode play. Basically you have capture the flag, capture base and all the basic stuff that battlefield have but in a third person view with more arcade control.

What I was disappointed is it's a good game, pretty good even but nothing extraordinary or nothing really new...

I like those kind of game but at little dose and there a lot other type of game that i prefer. so like I said for people that really like those game, it's a solid game for them but for me I can pass it. (even if I'll probably buy it someday)

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 03:20 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2007, 09:20 AM #3361 of 3592
Heavenly Sword is worthless. Can someone tell me why the demo is 2 minutes.
Haha you weren't even kidding. 996 MB, that equals about 8 MB per second, is that awesome or what. I still think that the Hot Shots Golf 5 demo is the best available demo so far.

How ya doing, buddy?
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 04:06 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2007, 01:06 AM #3362 of 3592
The frame rate is the last thing developers work on anyway. I don't know how many developer interview I've read who all say the same thing -- frame rates come last. The final build is a month and a half away barring any release date setbacks, so I wouldn't worry about frame rate being an issue.

Also, lolin' at the two called-out PS3 fanboys were the first two to respond.
Like I said, WE know how it all works now, but what about the general audience that this game is targetted on? I think we can at least agree this is a major marketing screw up, despite an easier method on the development side. But if they rather choose an easier way at the expense of bad responses from their majority of ignorant comsumers, well, what does it say about their priorities?

I'm still confident Heavenly Sword will be a good game, I just don't understand how companies keep making lousy marketing.

How ya doing, buddy?

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :

Last edited by Kairi Li; Jul 29, 2007 at 04:08 AM.
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 07:08 AM #3363 of 3592
EGM trashed the crap out of Lair (6.0, 5.5, 5.0). I really hope Heavenly sword ends up being a lot better than a dead average game too.

'Course I know it's pointless to take them seriously anyway since they aren't the most reliable reviewers around, but it's still sad to see.

mario strikers charged: 7.5, 7.5, 7.5 (LOL)
blue dragon: 6.5, 7.5, 6.5

They do a good job showing how unreliable they are without anyone pointing it out on their own, but I felt it was funny that a crappy game like 'Mario Strikers Charged' scored better than both Lair and Blue Dragon. Harhar.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Romhacking.net PSN: Kyuuen XBL: Kyuuen
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 09:09 AM #3364 of 3592
Meh, there's a lot of average rated games that I find MUCH better then high rated ones.

Ex. I love GodHand witch has a 7.0 rating average. Also I dispise Halo witch has like a 9.(something). I'm pretty sure if you guys thought back you probably have similer experiances.

Secondly I never did like ratings. They're just too... inaccurate. When someone is forced to play a game that they don't really want to I'm sure it's not going to affect their score *sarcasim*.

Therefore I've always looked at ratings more as odds as to whether someone will like a game or not. So instead of looking at it as how good it is, which doesn't make sense because you either like it or not. I look at a game like lair that based on EGM I have a 55% chance of liking the game. I find this to be a much better way at looking at reviews.

Anyhow, sorry for my little rant there. Hopefully it contributes something to this, and maybe lets a couple people look at reviews in another way. But that's pretty much what I think of them anyways. Other then that I simply dislike reviews and in some cases reviewers but that's a whole nother topic.

So yeah, wait for more reviews before making a decision on Lair. You know that GodHand game I like? Well if I had based getting it or not on IGN's 3.0 rating, I would have missed out on a lot.

P.S.
Funny (untrue) theory. Perhaps EGM are people who dislike dragons. Therefore the more dragons a game has the lower the score, lol. ^^

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:24 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2007, 10:24 AM #3365 of 3592
Okay this is way off-topic, but I gotta ask this. What the hell is "GELB"? I noticed when I tried to quote Slayer it said Halo, so why the change?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 10:34 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2007, 06:34 PM #3366 of 3592
It's a word filter result for halol. You type it with a capital letter and voila. Go back to your old posts where you say you're anti-hal0 and you'll see it.

it's origins are a mystery..............................

Most amazing jew boots

eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 11:04 AM Local time: Jul 29, 2007, 11:04 AM #3367 of 3592
First Loco Roco PS3 Video

Couple things I noticed -

1) It looks to be multiplayer
2) Looks as if tilting the controller just moves your Roco, not the 'world' (which I guess is understandable, if it is indeed multiplayer)
3) WHERE THE HELL IS WIDESCREEN

FELIPE NO
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 12:27 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2007, 11:27 AM #3368 of 3592
EGM trashed the crap out of Lair (6.0, 5.5, 5.0). I really hope Heavenly sword ends up being a lot better than a dead average game too.

'Course I know it's pointless to take them seriously anyway since they aren't the most reliable reviewers around, but it's still sad to see.

mario strikers charged: 7.5, 7.5, 7.5 (LOL)
blue dragon: 6.5, 7.5, 6.5

They do a good job showing how unreliable they are without anyone pointing it out on their own, but I felt it was funny that a crappy game like 'Mario Strikers Charged' scored better than both Lair and Blue Dragon. Harhar.
Have you played Charged and therefore able to make a comparison yourself, or are you basing it's quality on how many sales the previous game had like you did in the Fire Emblem thread?

Reviews are just opinions. For God's sake, why do you CARE what numbers it gets?

On an unrelated note, Blue Dragon's numbers are spot on though if the demo is any indication.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 01:17 PM #3369 of 3592
Ha ha, yeah. When I heard gametrailers trying to explain the battle system to X-box gamers by comparing elements to madden and what not I laughed my ass off. Then when I saw that the gameplay was a horrible rip of Arc/FFXII, my stomach felt unsetteling. Then the finisher for BlueDragon was the Famitsu reviews... *barf* Unfortunately for me though, I'll probably still at least rent it ^^;

As for Lair, the companies reputation is too good to not buy the game. Even if it's not 100% on their first try (I know that Rogue Squadron wasn't 100% till Rebel Strike), the concept of Lair is too good with a lot of potential to not support the title for if not at least for possible future iterations of the game which could be astounding. I say, if one has been interested in Lair OR Heavenly Sword, that they should still get them for my stated reasons. Not like we've got all that much to loose.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 01:17 PM #3370 of 3592
I thought I heard that Famitsu scored Lair very well.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 01:25 PM #3371 of 3592
Ah, that first paragraph of mine there was actually a little spew on Blue Dragon. Sorry, should have been more clear.

However, here's a magazine that I have ALWAYS respected more then EGM. Actually both PLAY and Hardcore Gamer are my most respected english magazines. Moving on, PLAY has scored LAIR a 9/10. Priority rules. Also if you notice, GR has no record of EGM's score for LAIR yet, which makes me question Foresty's source of information.

Source -> http://gamerankings.com/htmlpages2/929230.asp?q=lair

@Megalith
I just noticed in your sig that there's a PoPeye's in the RE5 trailer (I know it's photoshoped) either way, I think that PoPeye's should be the save points of RE5. How bout you?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Slayer X; Jul 29, 2007 at 01:28 PM.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 01:33 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2007, 09:33 PM #3372 of 3592
2) Looks as if tilting the controller just moves your Roco, not the 'world' (which I guess is understandable, if it is indeed multiplayer)
It's quite possible it'll still tilt the world from your perspective, just not from others' (while they'll tilt "their" world and bounce their own characters around).

Big part of the charm in the game was how you moved the world which in turn moved the locoroco, and with finally tilt controls available, it'd be foolish to loose the tilt altogether.

Most amazing jew boots

Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 01:36 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2007, 12:36 PM #3373 of 3592
Well, Play also gave Sonic the Hedgehog a 8.5, and called Odin Sphere a flawless 10, so they might not be the most trustworthy review source either here.

Last edited by Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor; Jul 29, 2007 at 02:11 PM. Reason: 8.5, not 9. My bad.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 02:02 PM #3374 of 3592
Actually I liked the Sonic game a lot. Best one since Adventure 2 for the DC (obviously not ever though) sure it had tech problems and retarted amount of loading. But if you're talking about the game itself, I liked it a lot.

As for Odin Sphere, it pretty well is a flawless 10 in my, and many other's opinions so I don't know how you can really call them on that one.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2007, 02:04 PM #3375 of 3592
Play is a great magazine for the illustrations, but I have to admit that the scores are usually off. It seems to me that they rate games on what they think gamers want to hear, rather than what they really think.

Off the top of my head, I think they gave Devil May Cry 2 a really high score, even though it was average. I still respect the magazine for their favorable review of P.N.03 though, which everybody else seemed to trash.

Most amazing jew boots
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread