Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Fan Noise. Annoyingly loud, ain't it?

Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Dec 29, 2007, 02:41 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2007, 01:41 PM #301 of 836
Most definately. Last thing a person wants on their new HDTV is a HUD burn-in of an old NES or SNES game. heh heh
That's my recurring nightmare...

I was speaking idiomatically.
Soluzar
De Arimasu!

Member 1222

Level 37.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2007, 02:50 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2007, 08:50 PM #302 of 836
I didn't know burn-in was a phenomenon that was likely to occur on HDTV. I actually thought it was a characteristic of CRT screens.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2007, 03:00 PM #303 of 836
It's a long term effect for CRTs. However with LCDs the play time of such stationary things is an hour before having to worry. Or at least this seems to be the common belief.

How far that is from statistical fact I'm sure is something that Megalith would know. However I do not dare to prove the myth right or wrong using my own set. So I stick to the 1 hour rule. Even though I'm usually pretty hard pressed to play any single old-school game for anything more then 40minutes so it's not usually something that I normally have to keep an eye on.

FELIPE NO
espressivo
Chocobo

Member 1378

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2007, 03:16 PM #304 of 836
has anyone's ps3 froze? I just got one and it froze like 5 times already, twice when i was trying to update motorstorm, twice on the xmb and once when i was playing the timeshift demo. My ps3 is in a pretty well ventilated place, theres a lot of room for it to breath and it happens any time, not just after long periods of use.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2007, 03:21 PM #305 of 836
Yeah, I think one other person had their PS3 freeze a couple times on the XMB a couple pages back. I think it has to do with one of the recent updates.

Having played TimeShift myself perhaps your system was just trying to do you a favour

I myself however also had a problem playing motorstorm. What I had to do was go into where the game caches are stored and delete the older version of the game (not your save file). This caused the game to default back to V1.0 and then update from there which worked fine from that point. So give that a shot and see what happens.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
espressivo
Chocobo

Member 1378

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2007, 03:34 PM #306 of 836
is it on game data utility? then i've already tried that, and this is my first time updating motorstorm so i can play online. it's the one that came with hte 80gb ps3, is there a difference between that and the retail version?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2007, 03:42 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2007, 12:42 PM #307 of 836
LCDs don't suffer from image burn-in, this is only an issue with Plasma screens (and even then its only a major issue with older Plasma screesn). LCDs can develop afterimages or what they call image persistence but the ghosting will disappear if you just shut off the screen for a bit or watch moving images for a while. You pretty much cannot do any permanent damage to a LCD screen with static images unless you leave some image on all the time for days straight to where the liquid crystal will form a memory. But again this takes days, not hours of use to produce. I've only seen this once and this was on an LCD TV we used at our work to display stock information. The boarders used in the stock display finally burned in after a few weeks of being left on continuously displaying that same template.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Cetra; Dec 29, 2007 at 03:49 PM.
Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Dec 29, 2007, 04:34 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2007, 03:34 PM #308 of 836
Even now that's not a serious issue with current plasma technology. I heard it's still possible, but you have to cooperate on destroying a perfectly fine and new HDTV...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:10 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2007, 04:10 PM #309 of 836
Even now that's not a serious issue with current plasma technology. I heard it's still possible, but you have to cooperate on destroying a perfectly fine and new HDTV...
Yeah, pixel orbiting (monitors all pixels on the screen and quickly moves static images from one pixel to another) which is used in Plasmas 6th gen and above pretty much removes the possibility of image burn-in from say a broadcast logo or a video game HUD, but there are still issues with uneven wear on Plasma screens if you view a lot of 4:3 content or such with large black bars constantly. This isn't really burn-in but people tend to group it together since its a similar effect. What is really happening is with Plasma displays, black is actually made by removing all voltage from the pixel unlike with LCD so in say a 4:3 picture on plasma the middle area will become dimmer due to natural wear quicker than the black bar areas so you end up with 19:9 screens with uneven brightness levels across the picture.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:40 PM #310 of 836
So it seems that LCD don't suffer from many issues is this correct?

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2007, 07:54 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2007, 07:54 PM #311 of 836
Basically, yes. LCD screens are pretty resiliant to issues like that, they don't have real burn-in like CRTs and Plasmas and they don't have the colorwheel or bulb burnout problems of DLP. They also use a lot less energy and produce less heat than almost all of the alternatives.

Downsides are mainly ghosting with lower quality/higher refresh rate sets and being locked to a single native resolution (so they have to scale everything to the standard resolution instead of being able to change their resolution like CRTs, so some things may appear blurrier on them). Also there's occasionally dead pixels, but that's usually pretty minor.

FELIPE NO
Dizzy
The Latin Cockroach

Member 729

Level 16.74

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2007, 08:11 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2007, 10:11 PM #312 of 836
has anyone's ps3 froze? I just got one and it froze like 5 times already, twice when i was trying to update motorstorm, twice on the xmb and once when i was playing the timeshift demo. My ps3 is in a pretty well ventilated place, theres a lot of room for it to breath and it happens any time, not just after long periods of use.
Uhhh, welcome to my world. I had the same issue with my new Ps3. It froze everywhere. I tried everything to make it work, but nothing happened. I usually got like a "matrix screen" after it froze.

I had to send it back. It had a defective GPU, so there was nothing I could do about it.

The post of my problem is HERE

| XBL: Dizzy4U | PSN: Dizzy4U |
| GFF ¡En Español! | My YouTube |

Last edited by Dizzy; Dec 29, 2007 at 08:16 PM.
espressivo
Chocobo

Member 1378

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:08 PM #313 of 836
oh, mine is nothing like that, the image just freezes while audio plays normally, and you can't do anything with the controller, so the only choice is to turn off the system. I'm not sure if it's that big of a problem, but if it happens more often then I think I'd be returning my ps3.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Dec 29, 2007, 11:27 PM Local time: Dec 29, 2007, 10:27 PM #314 of 836
Basically, yes. LCD screens are pretty resiliant to issues like that, they don't have real burn-in like CRTs and Plasmas and they don't have the colorwheel or bulb burnout problems of DLP. They also use a lot less energy and produce less heat than almost all of the alternatives.

Downsides are mainly ghosting with lower quality/higher refresh rate sets and being locked to a single native resolution (so they have to scale everything to the standard resolution instead of being able to change their resolution like CRTs, so some things may appear blurrier on them). Also there's occasionally dead pixels, but that's usually pretty minor.
I heard (haven't seen it in action), that 120hz screen do a great step on the right direction... can anyone confirm this?

Chip
SquareEnix's #1 Whore

Member 1989

Level 11.18

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 12:51 AM Local time: Dec 30, 2007, 01:51 PM #315 of 836
The only error I ever got so far from my PS3 is when I loaded my game of Assassins Creed is that it suddenly showed me the "Your game cannot be loaded, your disc might be dirty" screen.

How ya doing, buddy?
PSN: Squareh00r
Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old Dec 30, 2007, 02:31 AM #316 of 836
I got an LCD and a Plasma TV, the Plasma is in the living room and the LCD is in my room which I use for gaming. My plasma tv is a newer model and yes pause it for a really long time or just the logo of the channel and it will fade in. It's not a real problem that you would have to get it fixed or anything, theres an option in the TV menu that fixes the fade in so I dont have a problem with that.

I prefer Plasma over LCD for both movies and gaming since it looks better, but I just use my LCD for my games.

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 02:48 AM #317 of 836
My next TV will definitely be a 1080p plasma. At the end of the day, it's really all about black levels, and plasma sets generally offer the best.

Alternatively, there's LCOS, which is what I own now. Price-to-size ratio, pixel fill, commendable scaling and proper deinterlacing (on my model, anyway) are just some of the benefits. Black level is more than acceptable, but like most current technologies, it's walking the line between crush and greyish blacks.

I wish they would have spent a little more time with flat-screen 16x9 CRTs. With a little better engineering, they probably could have remedied the whole "curved corners" problem (inability of the gun to reach extreme edges) with most sets...especially on Samsungs...but that's probably because Samsung celebrates the usage of junk parts.

As for LCD, I had a particular love for my Sony KDL-V2500 since it allowed me to physically place a center channel speaker in the proper spot (tweeters aligned with L/R monitors), as the LCD was light enough to sit on top of it...but I couldn't imagine watching something like Batman Begins or playing The Darkness with one.

Last edited by Megalith; Dec 30, 2007 at 02:55 AM.
Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old Dec 30, 2007, 05:27 AM #318 of 836
Sony has stopped making Plasma TV's right? I'm thinking of getting a plasma TV maybe next year to play games on. Something arround 36" inches maybe, but now is 1080p even worth the extra money it if it's a 36" TV? I read on another forum that it's only worth getting a 1080p TV if it's a really big TV.

Most amazing jew boots
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 09:07 AM #319 of 836
It all deends on the person.

I myself usually can't see any noticable difference between 1080P and 720P until 40" + TVs. I don't discount the fact that it's there, it just doesn't make a big enough difference for me until I get towards sets that are larger then that.

Technically anyone can justify anything, but I most certainly can't justify 1080P on anything less then a 40" TV, because personally it's just a waste of money.

I have a 37" Sharp LCD TV and with the excellent black levels, and 4ms refresh rate there's absolutely nothing that I can complain about. Seriously, I had an HD CRT(native 1080i) before that and the black levels on my LCD look just as good.

FELIPE NO
Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Dec 30, 2007, 02:08 PM Local time: Dec 30, 2007, 01:08 PM #320 of 836
My next TV will definitely be a 1080p plasma. At the end of the day, it's really all about black levels, and plasma sets generally offer the best.

Alternatively, there's LCOS, which is what I own now. Price-to-size ratio, pixel fill, commendable scaling and proper deinterlacing (on my model, anyway) are just some of the benefits. Black level is more than acceptable, but like most current technologies, it's walking the line between crush and greyish blacks.

I wish they would have spent a little more time with flat-screen 16x9 CRTs. With a little better engineering, they probably could have remedied the whole "curved corners" problem (inability of the gun to reach extreme edges) with most sets...especially on Samsungs...but that's probably because Samsung celebrates the usage of junk parts.

As for LCD, I had a particular love for my Sony KDL-V2500 since it allowed me to physically place a center channel speaker in the proper spot (tweeters aligned with L/R monitors), as the LCD was light enough to sit on top of it...but I couldn't imagine watching something like Batman Begins or playing The Darkness with one.
Same set, same love (heh, I was wondering what was your set). And I share your opinion, if I ever get a new TV it would probably be a 1080p plasma.... If I ever fix the hyper illuminated room where it is suppose to be, and get the money. But at the time, LCD technology will catch up Plasma on the matter or OLED TVs will be a realistic option. (2015!?)

And Dagobert as far as I remember Sony dropped plasma technology several years ago, they kinda bet everything they had on LCDs and other technologies (Recently they dropped their rear projection line too... it was goooood ). Now they are starting with OLED technology but this stuff is in diapers. (11'' almost $2k)... Oh and a burn-in image = spoiled set, what you are getting is other stuff.

Last edited by Grilled Carrots; Dec 30, 2007 at 11:43 PM.
Living Legend
Chocobo

Member 124

Level 13.72

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:02 PM Local time: Dec 30, 2007, 08:02 PM #321 of 836
I guess this is a good place to ask this.

I don't have a high def T.v or any of that yet. So far, I have a small discolored tv that I should replace with a much better one.

So my question, can anyone point me to a Hi-def tv in the 600/900 dollar range that would be best used for video games?

I've just started to play online using my PS3, my username is twistedchemical for those who want to play me online.

Most amazing jew boots
Grilled Carrots
Chocobo

Member 26049

Level 13.98

Nov 2007

Old Dec 30, 2007, 11:42 PM Local time: Dec 30, 2007, 10:42 PM #322 of 836
Check here: Display Devices - AVS Forum , no better place on the interwebs for this stuff.

Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old Dec 31, 2007, 05:19 AM #323 of 836
So I tried watching some .avi files today, I haven't tried it since the firmware update. So a lot of the videos did not work, which was media connects fault. So I read on gizmondo I think it was that Windows Media Player 11 works better than media connect, which is true and a lot of the files are playable on the PS3.

All my episodes of Chuck play fine, same with Devil May Cry the anime, The Big Bang Theory but for some reason some of the episodes of Black Lagoon wont play. The ones that dont play are also a different resolution than the ones that do play. So I read in the comments of that gizmondo site that if the video's resolution is divisable by 16 or some shit that it will play, and if not then it wont play. I also read that some of the files that do not play will play if it's burned on a cd or DVD. Any one tried burning any video files on a cd that doesn't play when streaming from windows media player, and does it play it or not? I dont have any blank cd's or dvd's at the moment so I can't really test it out to see if it works.

Most amazing jew boots
chato
Prime Spark

Member 232

Level 39.22

Mar 2006

Old Dec 31, 2007, 02:17 PM #324 of 836
Some files that have Xvid/DivX format will work (sometimes it wont since I just added a supposedly Xvid movie file and it said "Unsupported Data"). I just added Afk's Clannad WS episode 9 for the helluva it without conversion. Looks perfect (fills up the whole screen like some blueray hd version but looks a little fuzzy since it isn't really HD). What I'm hoping for is that they fix the little bugs with divX and have .mkv compatability on the next update. Most fansubbers these days stick with that and ignore mp4 when that works perfect on the ps3. Check Gundam 00 (subbed by Anonymous) for example. They did it under mp4 format for episode 1-2 and I haven't seen anymore =/. At least their's ACD Elite's One Piece to enjoy ;p

Last edited by chato; Dec 31, 2007 at 02:20 PM.
Dagobert
Chocobo

Member 25642

Level 10.44

Oct 2007

Old Jan 1, 2008, 05:30 AM #325 of 836
When ever I connect my PSP to my PS3 to register it for the remote play thing, turn my ps3 off and my psp, but when I put my computer on my PS3 turns on as well. Does happen any one else or know why it happens? It doesn't happen after that, only when I register the psp with the ps3.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Fan Noise. Annoyingly loud, ain't it?