Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:10 AM #2601 of 3592
Just run the component cables and don't change anything, that's default 480i, it may not be HD, however it is the best picture you can get on SDTV because the colour seperation and things of that sort are improved well over that of composit.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:16 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2007, 12:16 AM #2602 of 3592
That's the thing -- 480i made my screen's image get all..."squished" so I switched back. I played the GTHD demo, and everything was gigantic and fairly unappealing to look at.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:19 AM #2603 of 3592
Is it a wide screen? Cause if so there's many zoom and aspect ratio settings on wide screen TVs that might just need to be played around with a bit. Though Metal would oribable know more then I if that is the case.

How ya doing, buddy?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:29 AM #2604 of 3592
That's the thing -- 480i made my screen's image get all..."squished" so I switched back. I played the GTHD demo, and everything was gigantic and fairly unappealing to look at.
Squished as in "squat" or "thin"? The former would mean that the PS3 is outputting a 4:3 and your set is simply applying the "Wide" or normal 16:9 aspect ratio it has. The latter (which I believe is the case, since you mentioned you didn't have an HDTV) is what happens when you give a 4:3 television a 16:9 resolution.

GTHD, eh? Make sure you set the aspect ratio to 4:3 along with setting the resolution along with it (480i is a 4:3 res, 640x480 IIRC). If you want a comparable change, raise your resolution to 1600x1200 and then drop it to 800x600. Everything suddenly balloons in size and becomes... unappealing to look at.

What resolution were you running at with the S-video cables anyway?

Most amazing jew boots

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:33 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2007, 12:33 AM #2605 of 3592
It was vertically squished -- everything looking taller and thinner. In GTHD, it made everything zoomed in, which was weird. The menu that opens up for the player to select manual or automatic transmission, change the tires and start the race was gigantic; almost took up the whole screen.

I'll go back and try again, but I'm fairly certain I set the aspect ratio to 4:3, as I don't have a widescreen monitor, obviously.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 12:44 AM #2606 of 3592
It was vertically squished -- everything looking taller and thinner. In GTHD, it made everything zoomed in, which was weird. The menu that opens up for the player to select manual or automatic transmission, change the tires and start the race was gigantic; almost took up the whole screen.

I'll go back and try again, but I'm fairly certain I set the aspect ratio to 4:3, as I don't have a widescreen monitor, obviously.
Yeah, set the aspect ratio to 4:3, resolution to 480i and see what happens. Either the PS3 or the game itself is forcing the demo to display in 16:9 (hence, the "thinner" look).

It's possible the huge menus and so on are related to the aspect ratio being out of whack.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:13 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2007, 01:13 AM #2607 of 3592
Okay, I tried it again. So now I have a question -- the PS3 gives me two options, both of which work. One is to select the connection type, being either AV Multi Out using the component inputs, and the other option was component cables in the component inputs. I know it sounds weird and confusing, and it kinda is.

Anyway, the former option doesn't give me the choice for 480p, so I went with the latter option. But when I try it, my screen goes fuzzy and scrolls up and down rapidly, denoting an obvious distaste for a 480p resolution.

Does my TV suck?

FELIPE NO

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:20 AM #2608 of 3592
Okay, I tried it again. So now I have a question -- the PS3 gives me two options, both of which work. One is to select the connection type, being either AV Multi Out using the component inputs, and the other option was component cables in the component inputs. I know it sounds weird and confusing, and it kinda is.

Anyway, the former option doesn't give me the choice for 480p, so I went with the latter option. But when I try it, my screen goes fuzzy and scrolls up and down rapidly, denoting an obvious distaste for a 480p resolution.

Does my TV suck?
No, it's just not a digital television, that's all. Stick with the first one, as the second one seems like it's trying to display/force 480p when your TV doesn't support it. So, the other option fixed things up?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:49 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2007, 01:49 AM #2609 of 3592
Well now I've got it working, and it appears to be displaying in 480p.

The final problem is this: when I select 480p in the display menu under the Component Cable connection, it still gives me a fuzzy screen. If I leave it at the Standard NTSC selection, it's cool. So it's like it's displaying 480p without the PS3 recognizing/forcing/whatevering. So sup? I'm going to leave it as it is though, because it's clearly better than standard. Text is easier to read and the MotorStorm demo looks much nicer, as does the GTHD demo. So...s'all good, regardless.

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 01:54 AM #2610 of 3592
Well now I've got it working, and it appears to be displaying in 480p.
If your television is a regular CRT set, it's display 480i. If you've ever tried to a game @ 480p on a normal set, it simply doesn't show it/gets all mangled.

Quote:
The final problem is this: when I select 480p in the display menu under the Component Cable connection, it still gives me a fuzzy screen. If I leave it at the Standard NTSC selection, it's cool. So it's like it's displaying 480p without the PS3 recognizing/forcing/whatevering. So sup? I'm going to leave it as it is though, because it's clearly better than standard. Text is easier to read and the MotorStorm demo looks much nicer, as does the GTHD demo. So...s'all good, regardless.

Standard NTSC = 480i. Those improvements are due to the cables, as we'd mentioned before, there would be a noticeable improvement in the image in various ways. So, everything's all good?

SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:13 AM Local time: Jan 10, 2007, 02:13 AM #2611 of 3592
I guess so then. I didn't think the cables would make that much of a difference (plus I hadn't noted that option, and I don't recall seeing it in the thread. Oh well.) but apparently they have. So, 480i it is then, but it's still quite an improvement.

Most amazing jew boots

Reading --
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 02:37 PM #2612 of 3592
Anything is better than composite cords. I seriously wonder why they even package their consoles with them, and then I remember some people really do have such horrible televisions that they can't accept anything better.

We should all have a moment of silence for these people who can't afford to spend even $200 on a new tv that at least has a single s-video or component slot.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
quazi
I apologize for nothing!

Member 353

Level 15.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 10, 2007, 09:48 PM #2613 of 3592
Anything is better than composite cords. I seriously wonder why they even package their consoles with them, and then I remember some people really do have such horrible televisions that they can't accept anything better.

We should all have a moment of silence for these people who can't afford to spend even $200 on a new tv that at least has a single s-video or component slot.
For some people, it's simply not worth 200$ to have your games look slightly better on television. If you already have a suitable television for your needs, why spend 200$ when you can just use composite? This is just an incredibly boneheaded assumption by you that everyone who wants to play a video game system should go out and buy a new television. Composite cables don't look perfect by any means, but they look good enough when you're not playing on a 30"+ TV (and considering probably about 90% of college students don't have TVs that size in their room, that makes up a pretty large portion of the market.)

With my Dell 2405fpw I'm happily not included in this group, but to say that they can't afford a good TV simply because they choose not to buy one is a ridiculous generalization.

"Oh sirrah"
-Hedonism Bot
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2007, 03:04 AM #2614 of 3592
anys opinion here.

Should I get a PC?
because theoretically I can download all my games.
or should I get a PS3?
which would cost a hell of a lot less then a computer capable of outputting the same levels of graphics.

pc games, console games. both are good to me.

[/RIGHT]
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 15, 2007, 09:54 AM #2615 of 3592
Now a days there are about 10 console games per each PC game, and that's not even exclusive PC games which is why I stopped bothering with PC gaming and now just simply buy the 3 major consoles on the market for about the same price a new PC would.

Also if you get the PS3 you can install Linux on it, after which point you can do word processing and whatever else you could do on a new PC, and it'll still be able to play PS3 games. Therefore for the price difference that you pointed out as far as I'm concerned the PC right now is just an over expensive piece of hardware that's been bettered by Sony.

FELIPE NO
Forsety
Now with 50% less Fors

Member 812

Level 22.90

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 01:43 AM #2616 of 3592
For some people, it's simply not worth 200$ to have your games look slightly better on television. If you already have a suitable television for your needs, why spend 200$ when you can just use composite? This is just an incredibly boneheaded assumption by you that everyone who wants to play a video game system should go out and buy a new television. Composite cables don't look perfect by any means, but they look good enough when you're not playing on a 30"+ TV (and considering probably about 90% of college students don't have TVs that size in their room, that makes up a pretty large portion of the market.)

With my Dell 2405fpw I'm happily not included in this group, but to say that they can't afford a good TV simply because they choose not to buy one is a ridiculous generalization.
Any TV made in the 90s will have a s-video slot or maybe even some component somewhere on it. You're just being silly.

Last edited by Forsety; Jan 17, 2007 at 01:49 AM.
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 05:04 AM #2617 of 3592
Now a days there are about 10 console games per each PC game, and that's not even exclusive PC games which is why I stopped bothering with PC gaming and now just simply buy the 3 major consoles on the market for about the same price a new PC would.

Also if you get the PS3 you can install Linux on it, after which point you can do word processing and whatever else you could do on a new PC, and it'll still be able to play PS3 games. Therefore for the price difference that you pointed out as far as I'm concerned the PC right now is just an over expensive piece of hardware that's been bettered by Sony.
sounds good to me. Thanks for the input.

[/RIGHT]
Omnislash124
Currently Playing: Phantom Brave

Member 2043

Level 29.93

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 07:13 AM #2618 of 3592
Any TV made in the 90s will have a s-video slot or maybe even some component somewhere on it. You're just being silly.
I wouldn't guarantee that. I'm still stuck on Composite for now. Granted my TV is rather old (maybe 10 years now? Still puts it about 1995/1996) But Composite is still the way to go right now for me.

Anime FTP
Server Status: -XP MODE-
Anime - PM Request
AnimeOST - PM Request
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:47 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2007, 11:47 AM #2619 of 3592
That's not a fair thing to say. The PC gets SHITLOADS of games. Moreso than most of the consoles do, they just aren't necessarily big ones, or popular ones.

For example, this week, the only PS2 game coming out is NCAA March Madness 07, but the PC is getting The Burning Crusade, Great Invasions, The Shield, and Pat Sajak's Lucky Letters. Most people haven't heard ot eh last three, which is why this assumption is a common mistake.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 12:52 PM #2620 of 3592
Well I guess if he rather play games that no one's heard of before rather then some of the most anticipated games of the year like MGS4, Tekken 6, MotorStorm then he should go get a PC instead of a PS3+Linux so that he can play Great Invasions and The Shield instead.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 01:06 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2007, 12:06 PM #2621 of 3592
I never argued that the console games tend to be more hyped in this day and age, but I'm just pointing out a technicality.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 01:16 PM #2622 of 3592
Alright, well technically I suppose you're right however I don't know why you pointed it out if it doesn't really matter in the end.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jan 17, 2007, 01:23 PM Local time: Jan 17, 2007, 12:23 PM #2623 of 3592
Because I'm anal like that. That's really about it.

(We should stop derailing this now. >_>)

Most amazing jew boots
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Jan 18, 2007, 07:01 AM Local time: Jan 18, 2007, 02:01 PM #2624 of 3592
How would he print? Who does word processing without printing the pages?
Last time I checked, Linux supported USB printers. Correct me if I'm wrong, though.

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 18, 2007, 02:23 PM #2625 of 3592
It does

Devoxycontin: I never print things at home myself, I always save it to a USB drive and print my stuff at school for free.

How ya doing, buddy?
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread