Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Movie] LOST
Closed Thread

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 08:18 PM #226 of 1091
Couple of early comments.

1. I've always noticed how cool-headed Rose is, but after seeing her side by side with her realist husband, I now see that she's always been WAY too calm about their current situation. Either she has no interest going back to her life, like Locke, or maybe there's more to it....

EDIT:
Spoiler:
Well...that would explain her cool disposition.

2. Jack continues to be an idiot. He's going off to do this exchange, and decides to bring someone along, and it's Kate. Not Sayid, not Sawyer, the guy with the freaking guns, but KATE.

And I'm a firm believer that false hope is always better than no hope at all.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Soldier; Apr 12, 2006 at 08:26 PM.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:07 PM #227 of 1091
Meh, I only watched this Episode because of Bernard. I like how it totally slipped my mind and I ended up watching 30 minutes into it.

Michael talks about going to get the Others, yet somehow I doubt that'll happen for a while. He says they're unarmed, but then again when we saw the Others without their costumes, they looked like they had a serious gig going on. Maybe he saw them while they were in their costumes and don't have a full picture?

Why didn't Kate/Jack put together that the Others are in costumes?! Or at least consider it? Are they retarded?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Diversion
Jellicle Cat

Member 68

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:11 PM #228 of 1091
Ohhh, like bunnies and pirate costumes? ^_^

The episode was cool, since it was new insight, but I really want more plot. So much backstory is like Tolkien's books with heavy detail and little development with actual action.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
I poked it and it made a sad sound
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:12 PM #229 of 1091
I fucking hate Kate. What a slut. Why doesn't she just ACCEPT that she loves Sawyer and get on with it. Stop making googley eyes at that asshole Jack. UGH. I hate him so much.

Anyone else feel this episode was seriously lacking? Hardly anything was explained, save for the fact that I am more convinced now that Fake Henry knows something about the Hatch's REAL purpose.

Anyways, hopefully NEXT WEEK will be better. I want to see Sawyer finally kick some fucking conning ASS with the Others. He can totally outsmart them.

How ya doing, buddy?
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:14 PM #230 of 1091
Basically this episode's development was, "If you didn't think Jin's sperm was healed, and if you question that Locke was actually paralyzed, here's proof that the island heals people."

Which explains why like three different people died over reasonable lengths of time.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:24 PM #231 of 1091
It's not like there's a cure for death, is there?

I wasn't surprised at all when Micheal appeared like that. The second I heard the rustling, I imagined him.

But, I will take a guess in that Micheal is leading the group into a trap. The Others are probably forcing him to betray the group in exchange for Walt.

I still don't get why everyone didn't want to help Bernard with the sign. Even if it proved futile, it's still better than not trying anything at all. This episode kind of sent a bad message, saying "lie back and accept it."

It also made me think that perhaps, gradually, no one will want to leave the island. It seems everyone has problems in the real world that they aren't willing to return to.

FELIPE NO
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:34 PM #232 of 1091
Apparently there is. Rose's cancer meant death for her but was cured by the island. So was Locke's paralysis and, if I'm not mistaken, there are currently only theoretical cures for paralysis. But Boone gets beat up and dies, Shannon gets shot once and dies pretty much immediately.

What's his name, the dude who was watching over Kate died after quite a bit of time, and the guy that in the tail section who broke his leg and got an infection died. My guess is that the infection took a few days to destroy him. Locke and Rose's cure was instantaneous the second they woke up from the crash, so why isn't it that within a few days or a few hours one cannot be healed so incredibly? Okay, maybe not from a bullet or even a brutal plunge to the ground while inside of a plane. But a bacterial infection in a wound? Why not?

There's a few logical solutions to this:
1. Inconsistency in the writing
2. Certain people are capable of being healed, certain people are not.
2b. The island "wants" to cure certain people but have others die.
3. As stated by many other theories; the survivors were tampered with before they all woke up on the island; someone or something cured them, which is odd because Kate said she remembers the entire crash (unless she's lying or somehow forgot parts of it)
4. One is healed only around the time of the crash. Jin, Locke, and Rose being cured was a one-shot deal and won't happen again.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:38 PM #233 of 1091
Or, more likely, certain people have been chosen to survive. But then, you have to wonder - is this about some kind of religious trip, a scientific experiment, or quite literally FATE.

It seems obvious to me certain people were selected to be there at a certain time. Some people may not have been. I think those who AREN'T supposed to be there by selection will die off eventually.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:49 PM #234 of 1091
I'm not a believer in fate. Locke thought it was his fate to be in the hatch but it looks like it's not (although maybe the map will lead to something greater.) I personally feel that this show is just tossing the philosophical concept (along with a lot of others) around but is trying to be philosophically ambiguous.

Humans love to search for meaning in things, but all meaning is subjective and can be deciphered in different ways, and I think to an extent the show is trying to say that.

I mean who's to say some of the people sucked right out of the plane didn't have the potential to have any meaning on the island? I don't know, right after I saw the brutality of the crash and how people were dying all over the place, I lost the notion that the island (or whatever/whoever) "wanted" some people to live because it sort of came off as something rather random.

Seriously, if I landed on a super mysterious island and was cured of cancer or regained the ability to walk, I might think something magical is up too. If I lost these gifts temporarily based on an action of mine, I'd be pretty convinced not to do that particular thing ever again. That doesn't make it true one way or the other, though.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Struttin'

Member 24

Level 51.86

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 09:52 PM #235 of 1091
Originally Posted by Eleo
I'm not a believer in fate. Locke thought it was his fate to be in the hatch but it looks like it's not (although maybe the map will lead to something greater.) I personally feel that this show is just tossing the philosophical concept (along with a lot of others) around but is trying to be philosophically ambiguous.

Humans love to search for meaning in things, but all meaning is subjective and can be deciphered in different ways, and I think to an extent the show is trying to say that.

I mean who's to say some of the people sucked right out of the plane didn't have the potential to have any meaning on the island? I don't know, right after I saw the brutality of the crash and how people were dying all over the place, I lost the notion that the island (or whatever/whoever) "wanted" some people to live because it sort of came off as something rather random.

Seriously, if I landed on a super mysterious island and was cured of cancer or regained the ability to walk, I might think something magical is up too. If I lost these gifts temporarily based on an action of mine, I'd be pretty convinced not to do that particular thing ever again. That doesn't make it true one way or the other, though.
You'd seriously think "Gee. This is magic. I can walk" when you hit a mystery island?

I'd be trying to figure the shit out, too. But I would be doing it at a much faster pace. Like, you know, EXPLORING the island the first chance I got. Divide up teams. Send them out. Map out the entire island. Find out what that horrible monster is.

I wouldn't sit idly by on the motherfucking beach getting a TAN.

I mean, is it me? Or does even the whole premise seem a little fucked up?

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2006, 10:41 PM #236 of 1091
I'd probably think it were magic or something beyond my explanation. If I had THOUGHT there was a rational explanation, I'd have lost that when it seemed like I was being punished for certain acts. At that point I'd blame God/the island/somedude for it all. Especially if I thought there were a monster, that would just seal the deal of the magic island concept. Surely my rational mind would want to think otherwise, but like in real life there are times when my imgaination and doubt in reality take control of me.

So yeah, all the things happening on the island stacked on top of each other and I'd believe it were magical indeed.

The reason why I think nobody's doing stuff like exploring the island is because nobody has the same idea. Ideally you do something like that; but let's face it, people suck ass and I don't think they'd be so cooperative. Even in dire situations people can be asses instead of thinking wisely.

Some are content with getting a tan, some want to escape, some are scared, some sincerely want to know, some don't give a fuck either way. I'd probably fall into the category of "scared" as the monster + the Others pose a realistic threat and I'm a punk bitch. The monster especially is a threat to most people, and it seems like the beach (for a reason I still don't understand) is the only place it won't come to get you. I'd be with Bernard making an SOS. But if getting off were possible, I'd probably be chilling out too. Exploring the island is fine, but they have most of what they need where they are. It's something I'd put on my todo list, but not really a priority, especially when there are dangers out there like polar bears and monsters and shit.

Reasonable setbacks and red herrings (for the characters, not so much us), such as the discovery of the hatch, the discovery of the caves, the rising tides, arrival of the tailies, etc., have prevented or distracted them from going out and doing stuff, so I don't think everyone's being completely idiotic; but I would say that they're being a bit more moronic than I could accept if this weren't a TV show.

To an extent - and I know I'm guilty of this - the audience is expecting what they want to happen to happen as opposed to what's plausible to happen. At the same time, we all know we're being dicked around for the sake of the show lasting five seasons.

Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 01:35 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 11:35 PM #237 of 1091
Originally Posted by Sassafrass
I fucking hate Kate. What a slut. Why doesn't she just ACCEPT that she loves Sawyer and get on with it. Stop making googley eyes at that asshole Jack. UGH. I hate him so much.

Anyone else feel this episode was seriously lacking? Hardly anything was explained, save for the fact that I am more convinced now that Fake Henry knows something about the Hatch's REAL purpose.

Anyways, hopefully NEXT WEEK will be better. I want to see Sawyer finally kick some fucking conning ASS with the Others. He can totally outsmart them.
Something tells me you've got quite a Sass-boner for Sawyer.

Either way, yeah, I feel that tonight's episode was pretty much a let-down. I even enjoyed the Hurley episode more than this, and as much as I find it interesting that Rose and Locke seem to have this connection (GRIN GRIN), it wasn't anything that special. Maybe just because Rose is a completely ancilliary and stupid character? I dunno. I was bored with it.

NEXT WEEK, however... next week will be interesting.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 01:38 AM #238 of 1091
I like Rose. Strong black mommas are always win unless they're especially stereotypical which I feel Rose is not.

I think we all have our ideal cast based on the current slew of characters.

Jessykins
Burnt out on dealing with mortals

Member 444

Level 31.50

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 01:43 AM Local time: Apr 12, 2006, 11:43 PM #239 of 1091
I didn't really phrase it the way I wanted. It's not that I DISLIKE Rose. I like her. I like Bernard and their relationship (I cried when they finally got reunited) it's just she's sort of... inconsequential, you know?

FELIPE NO
Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 01:46 AM #240 of 1091
Perhaps, but I think Bernard is hot and should be on every episode.

Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 05:09 AM Local time: Apr 13, 2006, 02:09 AM #241 of 1091
Quote:
It's not like there's a cure for death, is there?
I dunno, Jack's dad was strollin' around the brush early first season.

I liked tonight's episode a lot. I am interested in where the plot is actually going but what mainly attracted me to the show was the character development and motivation. That's been going downhill recently, but Rose and Bernard's backstory and it's relevance to the island events was pulled off quite well, I thought.

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 03:48 PM #242 of 1091
Apparently, the next episode is 3 weeks from now, meaning 3 weeks of reruns, meaning... 3 weeks of fucking hell!

And if you missed the episode or want to rewatch it, although it was an okay episode, here's the link.

http://38.113.244.42/~lost/forum-onl...HDTV.XviD-XOR/

How ya doing, buddy?

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 05:47 PM #243 of 1091
Again, I stand by my claim that most of the characters now have no real reason to leave the island. Each one has gained something since they arrived.

Lock: Can walk now. Is useful.

Rose: Cured of her disease.

Bernard: Has a wife that won't die in a year.

Jin: Can now have kids.

Sun: Is away from her Yakuza father.

Kate: Is away from the law.

Ana Lucia: Also hiding from the law (maybe).

Sawyer: Can live in self-punishment/isolation.

Hurley: Now has a girlfriend (granted she's psycho, but beggars can't be choosers).

Charlie: Finding faith; caring for Claire and Aaron (or at least he DID).

Eko: Giving faith.

Claire: Can raise her baby.

Michael: Gets to spend time with Walt.

Walt: Vice versa.

Seems everyone is happier since they landed in the island. About the only people who still seem to want to leave are Jack and Sayid.

Last edited by Soldier; Apr 14, 2006 at 01:01 PM.
Morrigan
Midnight Rider

Member 2104

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 13, 2006, 09:40 PM #244 of 1091
Originally Posted by SOLDIER
This episode kind of sent a bad message, saying "lie back and accept it."
This wouldn't be the first time it happened, though. I'm starting to get really annoyed by the show.

Eleo
Banned

Member 516

Level 36.18

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 02:03 AM #245 of 1091
Actually I'm wondering JJ Abrams is capable of starting, continuing, and ending a show that is good throughout, or if he just has a talent for creating great concepts and hype that ultimately sink in the long run.

Does anyone remember the first few episodes of Alias? The production values? The show was pretty much cinematic in its entirety for all of seasons 1 and 2. Now there's nothing left discerning it; it's just mediocrity. Before I knew it, I had stopped watching it but more importantly had stopped caring that I was missing it.

Alias lasted five seasons despite this being the general impression most fans got from the show. Lost seems to have timed itself for five seasons exactly although I'm imagining the plot could be accurately and evenly depicted in a total of three. However, since the show is far more frustrating when the plot is not being truly developed, I can imagine the show getting ended in a shorter amount of time.

Wouldn't it be wonderful to have three seasons of nonstop mystery and development than five seasons of comprised mostly of our frustration?

I was speaking idiomatically.
evergreen
Bullet in the Head

Member 828

Level 19.83

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 02:49 AM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 12:49 AM #246 of 1091
Originally Posted by Eleo
Wouldn't it be wonderful to have three seasons of nonstop mystery and development than five seasons of comprised mostly of our frustration?
Yes.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 03:06 AM #247 of 1091
Just because they're planning 5 seasons now doesn't mean they'll end up doing it in the long run. Ratings determine a show's lifespan. Perhaps if Season 2's ratings slip or if the writers get enough criticisms, they'll cut the seasons down and start adding certain plot twists earlier. I say don't stress too much if the show can stay fresh for 5 seasons. Evaluate things as they happen now, not in the future.

FELIPE NO
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 04:24 AM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 10:24 AM #248 of 1091
2. Jack continues to be an idiot. He's going off to do this exchange, and decides to bring someone along, and it's Kate. Not Sayid, not Sawyer, the guy with the freaking guns, but KATE.
I wholeheartly agree. It's a catastrophy. He used to be so cool but now he's just annoying. Every little thing seems to pisses him off and it's just a matter of time when he starts running around shooting others, I assume.

It's a disaster that the only cool guy right now is Henry Gale. Well, formerly known as Henry Gale.

khan0plinger
OH YES LET ME DROWN IN IT

Member 983

Level 17.72

Mar 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 05:54 AM #249 of 1091
Again, I stand by my claim that most of the characters now have no real reason to leave the island. Each one has gained something since they arrived.

Lock: Can walk now. Is useful.

Rose: Cured of her disease.

Bernard: Has a wife that won't die in a year.

Jin: Can now have kids.

Sun: Is away from her Yakuza father.

Kate: Is away from the law.

Ana Lucia: Also hiding from the law (maybe).

Sawyer: Can live in self-punishment/isolation.

Hurley: Now has a girlfriend (granted she's psycho, but beggars can't be choosers).

Charlie: Finding faith; caring for Claire and Ethan (or at least he DID).

Eko: Giving faith.

Claire: Can raise her baby.

Michael: Gets to spend time with Walt.

Walt: Vice versa.

Seems everyone is happier since they landed in the island. About the only people who still seem to want to leave are Jack and Sayid.
Your theory here is flawed. First of all, why does Charlie care for Clair and Ethan? Clair maybe but Ethan? The guy who he shot in the chest 4 times?

Michael and Walt. Maybe before Walt got taken...they felt that way as it was shown by Walt that he wanted to stay on the island when he burned the raft...however I think Michael more or less now just wants his son back and to get off the island.

Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Apr 14, 2006, 06:27 AM Local time: Apr 14, 2006, 01:27 PM #250 of 1091
Originally Posted by Knighthawk
Your theory here is flawed. First of all, why does Charlie care for Clair and Ethan? Clair maybe but Ethan? The guy who he shot in the chest 4 times?
Obviously, he meant Aaron. I don't think you can call a mix-up of names a flaw in theory.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Movie] LOST