Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Is angst/depression ever justified?

Hachifusa
Pre-defined Avatar~

Member 121

Level 17.12

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 01:15 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 11:15 PM #1 of 10

It seems that the two boards here gather more people who tell others to shut the fuck up about their problems than people who are actually supportive. This, of course, led me to wonder if there is ever a time to justify any depression or angst.

But, of course, what is the difference (or is there one at all)? Is it a matter of degree? Is one justifiable while the other one is not? According to the dictionary, angst is merely anxiety and depression combined. Is it the anxiety that is bad?

For example, last August, I moved here to Hawaii. The journey was quite daunting to me, and I really felt like I had made a major mistake in moving here after about a week. When it hit me that I had practically destroyed my previous life that I had actually enjoyed, I fell to something that resembles a mini-depression. For about two weeks, I was really pretty sad. This, in itself, felt different than the random angst I had bitched about previously. Of course, when I confided in a few friends, the only response I really got was "lawl angst stfu".

So, what do you think? Is it ever ok to feel down, or does that just make you a complete pussy?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
kat
HUR HUR HUR

Member 152

Level 21.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 01:41 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 11:41 PM #2 of 10
I hate people who think someone is sad for no reason. No one's life is perfect and sometimes there doesn't need to be a reason. Being unsupportive of someone who suffers from depression can be extremely harmful, such as said person running their car off a bridge because they think they're crazy and unfixable with no one to help them.

Everyone takes situations differently so while I wouldn't become a cutter just because my boyfriend broke up with me, I know some people would take it to an extreme and will. Does that make their sadness less important? I don't think so, it's just a part of their personality to let those things bother them more so who am I to judge.

No matter what the reason, I think if you're a good friend to someone and they're going through something, it's more important to be supportive rather than judgemental. Because you don't need to understand a person's depression to be supportive of them.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Sarag
Fuck yea dinosaurs

Member 748

Level 53.85

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 02:49 AM #3 of 10
Quote:
As justified as being happy is. It is entirely possible to be in a great mood for no reason at all, you know.

Look, these things aren't justifiable. They just exist, like rain on your wedding day. There would be no market for half the drugs we have, legal or illegal, if people could help their moods on a whim.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
DeadHorse++
zzzzz,,,,,

Member 4447

Level 9.10

Apr 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 03:38 AM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 12:38 AM #4 of 10
Originally Posted by a_lurker
As justified as being happy is. It is entirely possible to be in a great mood for no reason at all, you know.

Look, these things aren't justifiable. They just exist, like rain on your wedding day. There would be no market for half the drugs we have, legal or illegal, if people could help their moods on a whim.
Pretty much what she said. Reminds me of one of my favorite quotes:

"Don't go looking for Nietzsche in your 7-UP."

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
T0X1Qu3
Love Me ~ Kiss Me

Member 2252

Level 6.19

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 04:02 AM Local time: Apr 15, 2006, 11:02 PM #5 of 10
You moved to Hawaii? I LIVE in Hawaii!

but to the subject...

I think that everyone at some point in their life experiences anxiety/depression. It's a very common thing. I also think that posting your problems in a forum labled ANGST isn't a too bad idea. A lot of people can't deal with problems on their own and it's also a way to vent.

I think that we need to respect people going through depression beacuse if we don't, it's just making things worse.

I was speaking idiomatically.
" Your Absence has gone through me
Like thread through a needle
Everything I do is stiched with its color"
~W.S. Merwin
Thanatos
What?!

Member 1546

Level 15.76

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 04:26 AM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 05:26 PM #6 of 10
Well, sometimes we just get depressed. Whether it's justified or not, we still feel it.

So, yes. There are times I can understand if you get depressed. Someone important dies or moves away, of course you'd feel like shit.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Rat
Rat Q Insatiable

Member 4714

Level 4.40

Apr 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 05:13 AM Local time: Apr 16, 2006, 04:13 AM #7 of 10
Arrow

I've personally never been depressed before, but as for angst, I'm sure that's fine--after all, angsting is basically just being sad about things that have happened or are happening(usually the former for me). Wangst(whining+angst) is different though, as it just makes the situation worse and pisses off everyone around you. My point is, a little bit of angst never hurts.

FELIPE NO
+_+
horseman85
Piano noob

Member 4561

Level 13.38

Apr 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 12:42 PM #8 of 10
Depression . . . is a cycle of thoughts that leads to more negative thoughts. Angst is just . . . well I really don't know how to describe it. Saying that angst is the equivalent of "Bitching at the world" is too general and does not describe angst all that well.

a_lurker is right though. There are times when we just feel depressed or angsty or whatever. These feelings are both justifiable and injustifiable at the There may be reasons or there may be no reason at all why we feel this way.

So if ppl tell you to stfu . . . then well say the same to them and don't listen to them awhile . . . they'll only fuel ur own depression/angst anyway

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Winter Storm
Distant Memories

Member 2209

Level 27.54

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 01:07 PM #9 of 10
People these days do not care to hear other problems because of past instenses. This kind of exclusion(because being ignored is far worse than someone telling you to shut the fuck up)only makes feeling horrible more justified. If no one cares, why should you? This is a dirty dirty trend on forums - not just here mind you - but given the history of it, I can't really blame the present animosity towards the scenario. It is ok to feel miserable..and healthy for you to let it out. Keeping it in..that's stupid. No one's life is perfect, the ones who go up against you for being angsty or depressed only come off like the world is such a simplistic place to live. There is not way you can possibly justify your sadness oh no. You were not born human after all.

Heh >_>.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Lee-chan
~キラキラ・マジック~

Member 1899

Level 15.73

Mar 2006

Old Apr 16, 2006, 01:20 PM #10 of 10
Like others have already said, I think that depression and angst are part of the spectrum of emotions people have. Psychologically healthy people experience all these emotions at some point. Sadness is human. But as the old saying goes, "everything is good in moderation". Drowning in your own sorrow isn't a good idea, and it isn't healthy.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Is angst/depression ever justified?