Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 235 Voting/WEEK 236 Nominating

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 8, 2010, 06:48 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2010, 04:48 PM #1 of 24
Song of the Week - WEEK 235 Voting/WEEK 236 Nominating

Song of the Week. 225 Weeks and counting.
Week 235 Voting is open.
Week 236 Nominating is open.

THEME WEEK
Whimsical Wonderland Week
A whimsical week with numbers like slapstick songs, tunes that don't take themselves too seriously, "silly" music, like quirky, off-kilter carnival tunes.

Tracks:
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: A.S.H. -Archaic Sealed Heat- Original Soundtrack - Cootrolan's Theme
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Aekanaru Sekai no Owari ni Original Soundtrack "Routine" - fun time
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Death Gate (Game Rip) - Limbeck Bolttightener
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Ganbare Morikawa-kun #2 Original Soundtrack - PiT Drive
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Hanjuku Hero VS 3D Original Soundtrack - Honkey Tonkey Fantasy
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday (Sunsoft Game Rip) - Something Strange in Wackyland (Stage 5)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Sam & Max Hit the Road (Game Rip) - The World's Largest Ball of Twine
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Trash It (PSX Game Rip) - Playroom

Voting Rules:
Voters must distribute 6 points among the 8 nominees, giving points to at least 3 songs, giving no song more than 3 points, and giving no more than one of their choices 3 points. Possible ways of voting include:
Spoiler:
"Traditional"
Song1 - 3 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 1 pt.

"Even Stevens"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 2 pts.

"Tough Decision"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 2 pts.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.

"Nomination Bias"
Song1 - 3 pts.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.

"Indecisive"
Song1 - 2 pts.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.
Song5 - 1 pt.

"Shotgun Spread"
Song1 - 1 pt.
Song2 - 1 pt.
Song3 - 1 pt.
Song4 - 1 pt.
Song5 - 1 pt.
Song6 - 1 pt.

Notes:
Please remember to upload your nominations to the SotW server! Uploaded noms mean a faster, smoother SotW experience for everyone. Server information:
Spoiler:
* Host: ftp.sotw.info
* Username: nominations@sotw.info (that is the actual username; not an e-mail address)
* Password: gff
* Port: 21

Week 235 Nominating:
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Dec 8, 2010 at 07:08 PM.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Dec 8, 2010, 07:19 PM Local time: Dec 8, 2010, 04:19 PM #2 of 24
I can't believe I have had a nomination in every week for six weeks in a row. SotW participation is at an all time minimum. =/

Yeah, I've probably said this a few times before. Redundant.

I really can't complain because I don't have the motivation to promote this event. Still, it's been running for 235 weeks, which is very incredible. I must hand it to CHz and co for the persistence.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Dec 9, 2010 at 03:49 AM.
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2010, 02:01 PM #3 of 24
A.S.H. -Archaic Sealed Heat- Original Soundtrack - Cootrolan's Theme Banging silverware, crazy specialty instruments, throat singing, *and* a terrific melody? Sign me up.

Aekanaru Sekai no Owari ni Original Soundtrack "Routine" - fun time Acoustic guitar = Acoustic guitar plus wacky synths =

Death Gate (Game Rip) - Limbeck Bolttightener There was a period in the late eighties and early nineties when all PC music seemed to be MIDI, which simplified playback at the cost of making everything unbelievably tinny, not to mention making thisngs sound radically different between systems. The melody here is good and quirky, but it's hard to escape its utter tinniness.

Ganbare Morikawa-kun #2 Original Soundtrack - PiT Drive Sounds like one of the more off-kilter songs from Earthbound, the ones that flawlessly establishes a bizarre mood but I always skip when listening to the SPC set.

Hanjuku Hero VS 3D Original Soundtrack - Honkey Tonkey Fantasy Brilliant self-parody by Uematsu in a few spots, plus the honky-tonk is...uh...honky tonkin'. Good stuff.

Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday (Sunsoft Game Rip) - Something Strange in Wackyland (Stage 5) See PiT Drive above. I can't deny it does what it does well, but I'd also never want to listen outside of context again.

Sam & Max Hit the Road (Game Rip) - The World's Largest Ball of Twine Another game that suffered badly from MIDI-ization of its music, though this piece itself sounds fine (maybe it was one of the streaming tracks from the disc?). Th loungy jazz bit is okay, but the music really opens up later in the loop when things become more frenetic.

Trash It (PSX Game Rip) - Playroom Cute and snazzy, though I could do without the hiccups that were thrown in.

The Point Spread
Cootrolan's Theme - 3 pts.
Honkey Tonkey Fantasy - 2 pts.
Fun time - 1 pt.
Just missed: Playroom

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2010, 04:00 PM #4 of 24
Whimsical isn't actually my preferred genre of choice, so I'm not surprised I'm not head over heels for many of the tracks this week.

(3 points) Hanjuku Hero VS 3D Original Soundtrack - Honkey Tonkey Fantasy: Is the opening to this track an intentional homage to the FFVI Battle Theme? Regardless, the rest is a fun mix of ho-down and other grab bag elements.

[Edit: Researching and reading Orion's comments first would have answered my question.]

(2 points) Aekanaru Sekai no Owari ni Original Soundtrack "Routine" - fun time: Not what I would think of as a typical "whimsical" track -- which is probably why I enjoyed it as much as I did.

(1 point) Sam & Max Hit the Road (Game Rip) - The World's Largest Ball of Twine: The best of what's left. It has fun moments when the piano gets jazzed up.

Most amazing jew boots
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Dec 11, 2010, 02:24 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2010, 11:24 PM #5 of 24
For being whimsical, there was a decent amount of variety, which is welcome. Of course, there are certain elements become borderline annoying, but this was only applicable to a few songs, and they were still tolerable.

3 points - Hanjuku Hero VS 3D Original Soundtrack - Honkey Tonkey Fantasy
My nom and a silly but solid track that's pleasant to listen to. My favorite part is actually the accordian-ish section near the end.

2 points - Death Gate (Game Rip) - Limbeck Bolttightener
Sounds like Animal Crossing or Zelda, and that's a good thing. Happy and entertaining.

1 point - Trash It (PSX Game Rip) - Playroom
Sounds strikingly like the Desert Zone from Faceball 2000, and maybe that's why I like it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Dec 12, 2010, 08:45 AM Local time: Dec 12, 2010, 05:45 AM #6 of 24
Nomination (normal week):
=== Kaleb.G ===
* Album: BORDER DOWN -Sound Tracks-
* Artist: Yasuhisa Watanabe -Yack.-
* Disc #: 1 (of 1)
* Track #: 16
* Track Title: Snow Fox (stage 5)
* Catalogue Number: SRIN-1009
* Year: 2003
* Additional Info: There was a track from Vol.2 that placed back in week 57, but nothing's been nominated from Vol.1, so here it is. Another "stage 5" theme too. Gotta love those stage 5 shooter themes.
* Source: SRIN-1009 | BORDER DOWN -Sound Tracks- - VGMdb
* File Location: Nom folder.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Dec 12, 2010, 12:20 PM Local time: Dec 12, 2010, 07:20 PM #7 of 24
2 points: Aekanaru Sekai no Owari ni Original Soundtrack "Routine" - fun time
2 points: Sam & Max Hit the Road (Game Rip) - The World's Largest Ball of Twine
1 point: Death Gate (Game Rip) - Limbeck Bolttightener
1 point: Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday (Sunsoft Game Rip) - Something Strange in Wackyland (Stage 5)
Just missed: Playroom

week!

isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Dec 12, 2010, 05:30 PM Local time: Dec 13, 2010, 12:30 AM #8 of 24
<<2 Points>> Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday (Sunsoft Game Rip) - Something Strange in Wackyland (Stage 5)
<<2 Points>> Death Gate (Game Rip) - Limbeck Bolttightener
<<1 Point>> Trash It (PSX Game Rip) - Playroom
<<1 Point>> Sam & Max Hit the Road (Game Rip) - The World's Largest Ball of Twine

Nom! Nom!! Nom!!!
  • Album: Shin Samurai Spirits Haohmaru Jigokuhen Arrange Sound Trax
  • Artist: Shinsekai Gakkyoku Zatsugidan
  • Track Title: Path of Men (Haohmaru)
  • Track Number: 10
  • Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
  • Catalogue Number: PCCB-00169
  • Year: 1994
  • Additional Info: Jooohh!! (Who am I trying to fool, this is gonna get two or three points maximum)

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2010, 03:39 AM Local time: Dec 13, 2010, 01:39 AM #9 of 24
2 points: Ganbare Morikawa-kun #2 Original Soundtrack - PiT Drive
2 points: Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday (Sunsoft Game Rip) - Something Strange in Wackyland (Stage 5)
2 points: Sam & Max Hit the Road (Game Rip) - The World's Largest Ball of Twine
close: Limbeck Bolttightener, Playroom

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Undertale (PC, 2015)
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Dec 13, 2010, 04:12 AM Local time: Dec 13, 2010, 07:12 PM #10 of 24
Sakimoto AND Uematsu? In my SotW?! A.S.H. -Archaic Sealed Heat- Original Soundtrack - Cootrolan's Theme is a good bit of whimsy, mixed in with three cups of quirk and a couple of teaspoons of 'what'. The melody isn't appealing enough to bring me back for future listens however.

The opening to Aekanaru Sekai no Owari ni Original Soundtrack "Routine" - fun time is probably the most whimsyin' thing this week. =D This is the perfect track to help get your good mood on and is very loose and fun as it chugs along sporting its catchy guitar melodies. When they want to, doors can compose some great music. (I realise this sentence makes no sense to most people)

The sound here really throws me back to the point and click adventure games I used to play when I was younger. That in itself is a nice bit of whimzay. But really, even though Death Gate (Game Rip) - Limbeck Bolttightener is agreeable & cute in an understated & minimal kind of way, nothing really grabs me and the loop was probably unnecessary. Still, points for whimsy-fuelled nostalgia blast of joy.

Ganbare Morikawa-kun #2 Original Soundtrack - PiT Drive is the sound of the universe I would enter if I ate a 'special' cupcake. Trippin' and zany in the best possible way and sounding like Earthbound in parts, this track is entrancing from start to finish. A+, would trip out to again. (I have weird taste in music cupcakes sometimes huh)

O UEMATSU U. It's like '??' and the goblin minigame tune from FFIX had a hyperactive child. Hanjuku Hero VS 3D Original Soundtrack - Honkey Tonkey Fantasy is a decent amount of fun (it's hard to not enjoy it in some capacity) and is sufficiently whimsical, but it's a song I've been familiar with for a long time and never seem to listen to that much. Fun while it lasts, though.

I want to marry Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday (Sunsoft Game Rip) - Something Strange in Wackyland (Stage 5), but then again I think I'd likely run at the altar. This is an awesome tune, one which I don't think I want to subject my subconscious to that often. The melodies are awesome when they're there, and everything else going on is ughhhhh^kja@ienv&poa. CREEPY WHIMSY [CRIMSY] = SUPER

I'd love to hear Jared Emerson-Johnson tackle an arrangement of Sam & Max Hit the Road (Game Rip) - The World's Largest Ball of Twine. Not much to say here, just some great mellow whimjazz. Might not get a point though in this fiercely whimsical week.

Trash It (PSX Game Rip) - Playroom is some more entertaining jazzin' with a particularly zany selection of instruments. Yessir.

3 points: Aekanaru Sekai no Owari ni Original Soundtrack "Routine" - fun time
2 points: Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday (Sunsoft Game Rip) - Something Strange in Wackyland (Stage 5)
1 point: Ganbare Morikawa-kun #2 Original Soundtrack - PiT Drive
4th: Death Gate (Game Rip) - Limbeck Bolttightener
5th: Hanjuku Hero VS 3D Original Soundtrack - Honkey Tonkey Fantasy
6th: Sam & Max Hit the Road (Game Rip) - The World's Largest Ball of Twine
7th Just missed: Trash It (PSX Game Rip) - Playroom
8th: A.S.H. -Archaic Sealed Heat- Original Soundtrack - Cootrolan's Theme

this week <3 must do again, yes yes

How ya doing, buddy?
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:18 AM Local time: Dec 14, 2010, 04:18 AM #11 of 24
7 votes. Where are you people, I KNOW YOU'RE THERE (I can see you (don't turn around))

How ya doing, buddy?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2010, 10:33 AM #12 of 24
If we have to go into overtime, my Tron 2.0 nom won't be up the week Tron Legacy drops in theaters! I've been planning that for months. Months!

Most amazing jew boots
Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2010, 04:45 PM Local time: Dec 14, 2010, 10:45 PM 1 #13 of 24
A nomination has appeared!

Album/Game Title: Twintris (Game Rip)
Artist(s): Walkman a.k.a. Tor Gausen
Track Title: We're the Devils
Year: 1990
Additional Information: mod game-rip obtained from Mirsoft World of Game Music. Converted to mp3 myself.
Source(s): Game info from Hall of Light database of Amiga games

link to mp3: Download we're_the_devils.mp3 from Sendspace.com - send big files the easy way

How ya doing, buddy?
ikkei
Good Chocobo

Member 371

Level 18.90

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2010, 06:18 PM Local time: Dec 15, 2010, 12:18 AM #14 of 24

3 points ~ Hanjuku Hero VS 3D Original Soundtrack - Honkey Tonkey Fantasy
2 points ~ Aekanaru Sekai no Owari ni Original Soundtrack "Routine" - fun time
1 point ~ Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday (Sunsoft Game Rip) - Something Strange in Wackyland (Stage 5)

Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Dec 14, 2010, 09:09 PM Local time: Dec 15, 2010, 10:09 AM #15 of 24
Quick votes!!

(2 points) A.S.H. -Archaic Sealed Heat- Original Soundtrack - Cootrolan's Theme

(2 points) Death Gate (Game Rip) - Limbeck Bolttightener

(2 points) Aekanaru Sekai no Owari ni Original Soundtrack 'Routine' - fun time

Trash It and Sam & Max nearly got points.

FELIPE NO
I think therefore I am... I think.
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 15, 2010, 08:48 AM #16 of 24
(3 points) Trash It (PSX Game Rip) - Playroom
(2 points) Hanjuku Hero VS 3D Original Soundtrack - Honkey Tonkey Fantasy
(1 point) Aekanaru Sekai no Owari ni Original Soundtrack "Routine" - fun time

How ya doing, buddy?
Elorin
Arcani

Member 1218

Level 30.33

Mar 2006

Old Dec 15, 2010, 10:56 AM Local time: Dec 15, 2010, 11:56 PM #17 of 24
Here's a new nomination:

* Album Title: Legend of the Ancient Sword (Game Rip)
* Artist: Luo Jiyi (surname underlined)
* Track Title: The Phoenix Calls Yao Mountain
* Source: ?---????????????????????---?_????_????_????
* File Location: Nomination folder
* Disc Number: N/A
* Track Number: N/A
* Catalogue Number: N/A
* Year: 2010
* Note: This is actually the music for one of the game's trailers, using one of the main themes as the basis for the track. The trailer can be viewed here

Most amazing jew boots
I think therefore I am... I think.
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Dec 15, 2010, 07:13 PM #18 of 24
2 points: PiT Drive
2 point: Honkey Tonkey Fantasy
1 point: Limbeck Bolttightener
1 point: The World's Largest Ball of Twine
actually, this is the best track: Something Strange in Wackyland (Stage 5)
Just Missed: Cootrolan's Theme

Last week was Finals week for me and I'd assume some other voters, so that may explain the lack of votes.

But between the boing sound effect literally resetting the melody in PiT Drive, and the fakeout in Honkey Tonkey, this is the best week.

Most amazing jew boots
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Dec 19, 2010, 03:47 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2010, 12:47 PM #19 of 24
Is there an estimate when week 236 voting will start? I'm curious about the reason for the delay.

Most amazing jew boots
Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2010, 05:03 PM #20 of 24
[2] Aekanaru Sekai no Owari ni Original Soundtrack "Routine" - fun time
[2] Trash It (PSX Game Rip) - Playroom
[1] Death Gate (Game Rip) - Limbeck Bolttightener
[1] Ganbare Morikawa-kun #2 Original Soundtrack - PiT Drive

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2010, 06:15 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2010, 04:15 PM #21 of 24
Is there an estimate when week 236 voting will start? I'm curious about the reason for the delay.
Delayed for more votes. Which we got. Huzzah! I should end up closing this tonight.

I think next week will probably end up extended too, since that's Christmas week.

How ya doing, buddy?
Undertale (PC, 2015)
THE POWER OF WATER

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2010, 04:41 AM Local time: Dec 20, 2010, 02:41 AM #22 of 24
Week is over!

1). [15/8.5] Aekanaru Sekai no Owari ni Original Soundtrack "Routine" - fun time
2). [15/7.5] Hanjuku Hero VS 3D Original Soundtrack - Honkey Tonkey Fantasy
3). [9] Death Gate (Game Rip) - Limbeck Bolttightener
4). [8] Porky Pig's Haunted Holiday (Sunsoft Game Rip) - Something Strange in Wackyland (Stage 5)
5). [7/5] Sam & Max Hit the Road (Game Rip) - The World's Largest Ball of Twine
6). [7/4.5] Trash It (PSX Game Rip) - Playroom
7). [6] Ganbare Morikawa-kun #2 Original Soundtrack - PiT Drive
8). [5] A.S.H. -Archaic Sealed Heat- Original Soundtrack - Cootrolan's Theme

Undertale (PC, 2015)
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2010, 04:49 AM Local time: Dec 20, 2010, 07:49 PM 1 #23 of 24
Whoa, tight result. I'd gladly swap around the 1st and 4th placers, though.

I like theme weeks btw.

FELIPE NO
Darkcomet72
NO ESCAPE

Member 1216

Level 44.27

Mar 2006

Old Dec 20, 2010, 03:52 PM #24 of 24
Yes, 0 points, now I have achieved everything there is to achievWHAT

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 235 Voting/WEEK 236 Nominating