Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] GFF Team Fortress 2 Crew!

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2009, 04:30 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2009, 04:30 PM #226 of 255
Well, to be honest, engie kinda got an update when he got upgradable dispensers and teles, and the ability to knock a sapper off of the entrance and the exit at the same time. He's play balanced right now, he's just not much fun to play. =/

At any rate, this game remains my favorite because they keep updating it. I wonder when or if they'll start doing the randomized weapons thing. (Maybe after the last class update?)

There's nowhere I can't reach.
StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2009, 05:29 PM Local time: Dec 10, 2009, 04:29 PM #227 of 255
Meh, those things helped engie, but they're a long shot from an update.

The problem is that, from the beginning, everyone figured out the best spots to place sentries. Sentries haven't gotten any better. Players have gotten better though, have figured out how to take out just about any sentry with ease, and now sentries are obsolete.

The class being stale and not much fun doesn't help, either.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Bless the Maker and His water. Bless the coming and the going of Him.

Taco
inaccurate

Member 740

Level 26.23

Mar 2006

Old Dec 10, 2009, 05:39 PM #228 of 255
Now Engineers are far less about sentries and far more about Teleporters. Sure you can throw up a distraction sentry or something, but its primary purpose should be keeping enemies away from your level 3 teleporters which are pumping out all of the classes that have received updates to the front lines.

Then again, I've always found defensive engineer extremely boring to play, even when sentry spots were fresh and new.

Been thoroughly enjoying playing Heavy/Scout/Medic recently, though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 11, 2009, 12:16 AM Local time: Dec 10, 2009, 10:16 PM #229 of 255
Patch came out with a whole bunch of special things the announcer lady says to you during warmup and at random points during the match when you're a demo/soldier. I played one round on Dustbowl where my team managed to stop the other team twice on the first point on the first stage and racked up eight kills for the demos and only died twice to soldiers. Playing as a soldier I got one or two kills without giving one up to a demo.

Also found the scout's hat!

I was speaking idiomatically.
Grail
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 2483

Level 21.21

Mar 2006

Old Dec 15, 2009, 03:15 AM Local time: Dec 15, 2009, 03:15 AM #230 of 255
So it seems that the Demoman is getting a sword to replace his melee weapon, and a shield to replace his stickylauncher.

What makes this news is, to my knowledge, that these two items used in conjuction with each other allows for the actual sword itself to crit, and the shield itself, when you press the alt-fire button, will send you charging towards an enemy player just as fast, or faster than a scout's speed.

Upon charging if you are a decent distance away from someone, your sword will pretty much one hit kill from the way it sounds. Of course, without the shield the sword can not crit, but with each successful melee attack you give, you get a speed and health boost.

No word on the soldier update yet.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Dec 15, 2009, 12:55 PM Local time: Dec 15, 2009, 10:55 AM #231 of 255
The shield also gives resistance to fire and explosive damage, which should make it a little more interesting. Without stickies the demo is going to be a lot less useful against sentries, though, so I don't see myself using it a whole lot.

Edit: Also, demoman is a bit behind in the standings, and that's why their unlocks got revealed first. Be sure to check teamfortress.com out to read the two new comics they put up, too.

Most amazing jew boots
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Dec 19, 2009, 07:35 AM Local time: Dec 19, 2009, 12:35 PM #232 of 255
I don't suppose anyone has figured out how to get the soldiers new boots yet? In any case here's the current item crafting list TF2 Backpack Examiner - Blueprints

As you can see team fortress item making (or rather in the hat making) has become a total grindfest as everyone thought it would, even more so since there's no way to get garenteed items. I think I heard somewhere that achievement idle servers are considered legit now (long as you're not using an add on program to do it?) which speaks for itself really, valve wants you to grind and grind hard x.x

The new weapons updates have made me decide the demoman might arguebly have gotten the worst items in the game so far. As fun as the chargin targe and eyelander is, a smart player or organised team can take you down easily as the sheild damage reduction is for fire and explosions NOT bullets.

The increasing your stats after every kill is an interesting feature, but most of the time you won't see the benefits of it. Personally I think the biggest benefit the weapons have and probably one of the funnyist in the game is the charge allows you to barge your way to guarded parts of the map normal demoman would have to fight their way through to reach (i.e. behind enemy sentry farms) you normally end up vs a good number of the enemy team all at once when you do this, but it's still fun to see some players WTF reactions. I've got nothing really positive to say about the Scottish Resistance, it's a campers weapon, sure you can lay 14 stickies at once, but you have to be aiming at the things in order for the detonate button to do anything.

Soldiers unlocks on the other hand are much more interesting, the Direct Hit is great for class vs class situations but not if you have most of the other team rushing on you, the equalizer has no real downside compared to the shovel unless you're the kinda player who taunts a lot because it will kill you. When your hp is low switch to it and your attack and speed both have a boost, hell I found sitatuations where I hurt myself on purpose for that speed boost and I would just heal later. Lastly imo the Buff Banner is only as good as you are at soldier and your team at supporting each other. Skilled players will love you for it on rushes, but the newbies like the ones on this free weekend I've noticed are none the wiser about the mini crit buff.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 03:47 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 03:47 PM #233 of 255
Because I love you all so very much

YouTube Video
Error; are you sure that's a YouTube link?

YouTube Video

Jam it back in, in the dark.
RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 05:33 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 03:33 PM #234 of 255
Jesus, those crafting recipes are bullshit.
3 weapons -> 1 scrap metal
3 scrap metal -> 1 reclaimed metal
3 reclaimed metal -> 1 refined metal
4 refined metals + 1 class token -> one hat

So you need 40 weapons to make one fucking hat?

Even just to make a specific gun you need a class token (4) + a slot token (4) + a piece of scrap metal (3)...eleven weapons!

Pretty much this whole thing is a giant waste of time unless they really up the drop rate. =\

S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:13 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2010, 01:13 AM #235 of 255
Did they lower the requirements? I thought the math was more like this

YouTube Video

Happy because you worked for your hat my ass, there's no factors which change drop rate it's all random. Anyone after a hefty rare item collection will find they have found something worse then rpg grinding... and this is it.

The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 08:36 PM #236 of 255
For all the bitching about the crafting system I have to wonder if you guys were happier with the extra flareguns just sitting in your backpack doing nothin'.

It's not an ideal solution, but if you consider putting together random drops to build an item with no mechanical effect to be "grinding" that you're somehow forced to do, I think the joke's on you. As for me I got my Gibus and my Beret and I'm pretty content.

Most amazing jew boots
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Jan 7, 2010, 08:03 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2010, 01:03 PM #237 of 255
My complaint is not for having something like grind in the game, but rather the amount you have to do. If you was that desperate in an mmo you would just camp an area with *insert monster which drops said item name here* in TF2 there is no similar way to speed up the process, which leaves me wondering why on earth the requirements are so high.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2010, 08:35 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2010, 02:35 PM #238 of 255
why on earth the requirements are so high.
To keep the special items special perhaps? Like Pang said, they're not essential so you don't have to get them but they are there for anyone with enough time on their hands and a high enough boredom threshold.

RacinReaver
Never Forget

Member 7

Level 44.22

Feb 2006

Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:21 AM Local time: Jan 7, 2010, 09:21 AM #239 of 255
Whoops, forgot a factor of 3.

What bothers me about the crafting is that achievement_idle is now the most popular TF2 map and Valve seems pretty content about it. Why shouldn't they be? It makes it look like twice as many people are playing TF2 and for a heck of a lot more time. So these things that are supposed to be special, well, aren't. I mean, between the last two days I've played for around three hours and I got one item. From an achievement unlock. Prior to that I'd say I'm lucky if I find one item every two hours or so. So, if I were to play TF2 as a full time job for eight hours a day, it would take me 28 days to get one hat. That's what makes the system a bit absurd.

In TF2 update news, the buff banner now doesn't get reset when you hit a resupply cabinet.

I also found out if you go into the Advanced button under your Multiplayer menu they've added a ton of new options over the last few updates. I'm really liking the option where you have actual damage values pop up when you hurt someone. It's helped me figure out which weapon I should use at which distances and when it's worth possibly chasing someone down to kill them a few times now.

FELIPE NO
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jan 7, 2010, 12:55 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2010, 05:55 PM #240 of 255
Playing medic is now INCREDIBLY intuitive with the feature that highlights people with low health. I've been playing it more than any other class lately.

How ya doing, buddy?
The unmovable stubborn
(Feeling Inspired)

Member 1512

Level 62.24

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2010, 06:44 PM #241 of 255
I am loving the little jingle sound on hit

I am also loving that you can mod this sound

Jam it back in, in the dark.
S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Jan 8, 2010, 08:44 AM Local time: Jan 8, 2010, 01:44 PM #242 of 255
The jingle sound is the best thing ever, if I had a dollar for every hit I've had that doesn't register on the opponent from lag or whatever I would be rich, at least now I know when I'm missing before I'm a corpse on the floor.

Going back briefly to the random unlocks, but I played seriously for the first time in a while yesterday and I unlocked about 5 items (2 of which were soldier boots and 1 hat if you're interested), I tried the same thing today thinking I might be having a lucky streak but nothing so far, makes me wonder if the rumour about more hours playing in last week = lower chance is true or not.

StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Sep 30, 2010, 05:44 PM Local time: Sep 30, 2010, 04:44 PM #243 of 255
Not sure how many people here still play TF2, but if you don't keep up with it, you might want to hear this. (As long as you play the PC version, that is).

Just released today:

Click on the image for full details. Or if you just want the gist of it:
  • 17 new community created items for 5 classes.
  • Online store. Functional items can still always be attained for free through crafting/drops, but a handful of cosmetic items can only be purchased.
  • You can now trade/gift items with other players (unless you bought it through the store).
  • Dueling mini-game, whatever that means.

Naturally there's a lot of nerd rage over microtransactions, but like usual it's just a lot of hot air over something that's not a big deal.

The one thing I'm a bit disappointed about was the supposed inclusion of a 6th class, which didn't happen. And I was hoping it would be medic, since it's been a hella long time since he's gotten anything.

S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Oct 2, 2010, 09:07 PM Local time: Oct 3, 2010, 02:07 AM #244 of 255
Starman the medic does have a new bonesaw, but currently valve isn't allowing people to buy it. Near the bottom item list when in doubt I always check here after game updates.

The spys new items as a set are a really fun new way to play spy. Granted the pistol does less damage and you can no longer disguise at will, but the trade off is silent fast backstab kills (disguising as the last person you killed) and silent cloacking which is especially useful teamed with dead ringer. I never thought the kit would be that useful but I was wrong, it just shows how much people rely on the decloacking sound and being stabbed noises to identify nearby spys, all I can say is inbefore valve nerfs it.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
StarmanDX
Muad'Dib!

Member 354

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2010, 10:28 PM Local time: Oct 2, 2010, 09:28 PM #245 of 255
Yeah, I just noticed the Vita-saw today, but it's pretty underwhelming.

And yeah the new spy stuff is fun, but I don't know if I'd go as far as overpowered. If anything, it's the Dead Ringer that's been broken this entire time, and combining it with the Polycount stuff just makes it even better.

After a few days of the update being out, the one thing I really don't like are the crates. It'd be nice if they didn't apparently have a 90% chance of getting a Scottish Resistance. Yeah, you can choose to trade them away, but if that's the only particularly smart choice you've got, then they're they're not going to be a valid trade item for very long.

Most amazing jew boots

S_K
Death Phenomenon

Member 14358

Level 19.57

Oct 2006

Old Oct 3, 2010, 08:17 AM Local time: Oct 3, 2010, 01:17 PM #246 of 255
Clearly I've been doing it wrong I could never get my head around the dead ringer on account of that loud as hell decloack noise, still at least I have this option for when I'm feeling lazy.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] GFF Team Fortress 2 Crew!