Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[360] Halo Reach: Ghosts of GFF

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:45 PM #326 of 1108
In before racis-oh never mind.

Been hating a lot on Reach but Forge World looks great. My problem with these games is all the stat tracking. I dont have a OCD or anything but when i see my kill ratio go down or my deaths go above my kills i get weirdly anxious. Might even get this shit...
I'm like that to a point. I think the main thing they're doing here that I don't think has fully clicked with a lot of people yet is that your rank is universal across all modes, and is purely raised by earning Credits, and not necessarily your skill (although trueskill is still working in the background in competitive multiplayer of course). Since you can earn Credits in Campaign, Firefight and Forge as well as multiplayer, you could still reach the highest rank without ever playing multiplayer if you didn't want to. Personally I'm more concerned with rank than k/d (although I care about that to a point), so I'm super pumped by this change.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2010, 08:48 PM Local time: Jul 24, 2010, 03:48 AM #327 of 1108
I dont even care about the rank, ranks so stupid imo, makes kids just grind it and takes the fun out.
It's that k/d son lol. Might be fun sitting with a bunch of homies just killing eachother though so I'm probably getting this.

no homo
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 23, 2010, 09:10 PM #328 of 1108
So ranks are stupid and grindy, but k/d isn't? Okay.

How ya doing, buddy?
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2010, 05:06 AM Local time: Jul 24, 2010, 12:06 PM #329 of 1108
no both are, what i meant is that I really dont care about the rank while the k/d bugs me. Wouldnt mind if rank disappeared and it was replaced with only this credit thing just to buy upgrades, might have a bit of the same grinding but still.. lol.

no homo
Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2010, 10:48 AM Local time: Jul 24, 2010, 10:48 AM #330 of 1108
God this game looks oh so good. Last true Halo game will be the pinnacle. I am so in the mood to play halo, but I don't want to start 3 again with Reach not too far off. I WANT TO PLAY NOW!

I heard somewhere Bungie said they are going to be supporting this game like no other for a long long long long time. As its their last hurrah.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:32 AM Local time: Jul 24, 2010, 07:32 PM #331 of 1108
Hopefully support does not mean just DLC map packs for a fee.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2010, 11:36 AM #332 of 1108
In the case of Bungie, no. They were constantly updating shit, tweaking, changing around maps and playlists and generally being more active with their community and the game than most developers I've seen with H3. I doubt they'll suddenly turn into lazy assholes just for Reach.

How ya doing, buddy?

#654: Braixen
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2010, 12:50 PM #333 of 1108
I don't even know where to fucking start here. This post will be a clean summation of all the news over the last couple days, then I'll work on incorporating this all into the OP after. At this point I think I might just make up to date posts, then wait to update the OP until a couple weeks before release. This post alone took me hours, I can't imagine putting this in the OP this weekend lol.

-Halo: Reach controller shown and announced. Amazon is listing an August 17th release date on this, which seems reasonable as the Halo 3 accessories definitely came out before that game. It is listed at $59.99 which is a tad pricey, but it also comes with a Banshee item for your 360 Avatar (which I could not find any pictures of).

-Halo: Reach Wireless Headset shown and announced. Like the controller, also listed at Amazon for release August 17th. $49.99 price tag, but does not include the Banshee Avatar item like the controller does. For what it's worth, these headsets are actually pretty quality; I used the Halo 3 one for a long time, only reason I'm not still using it and picking up one of these is because I have a Turtle Beach headset now.

-Halo: Reach Limited Edition Console shown and announced. Releasing same day as the game (9/14) at $399. Spec-wise it is indentical to the 360 S out now (250 gig HDD and Wi-fi). Additionally however it has the obvious design differences, but also comes with an additional second controller with both controllers being the Reach design (as sold separately above) and the regular edition of the game. However, all of this matters not in the face of the fact that the system will make "Halo-inspired" sounds. For those not familiar the 360 S makes an awesome chime sound when you turn it on and hit the tray button. This system will make a "Halo-inspired" sound when you turn it on, and we know specifically that when you hit the tray icon you will hear the shields recharging sound effect from Halo. Also according to Wired one interesting thing is that you can't see in any of the photos is that the system is actually painted two different shades of gray, and the grays will "shift" depending on the viewing angle.

Must....not....buy.

-Square-Enix releasing a Halo: Reach Play-Arts line. Volume 1 is releasing this Fall and will consist of Noble Six, Emile, and Jun. Volume 2 is releasing early next year will consist of Carter, Kat, and Jorge. No official dates or prices set yet. No official pics yet, the one below is from their booth at Comic-Con. You can also get a better look in this video where two S-E merchandising guys talk with someone from 343 at their booth about the figures.

-This one's actually a bit old but I hadn't posted, but Marvel is putting out a 4-issue comic called Halo: Fall of Reach - Boot Camp that covers Master Chief from a child when he was conscripted into the Spartan-II program. Presumably based on the title and the tie-in the 4 issues will go up until Reach is glassed. Might be interesting to see if they actually show anything that wasn't already covered in the books I suppose.

-Greg Bear is writing a trilogy of Forerunner books. Release date information seems to be all over the place, I'm seeing this September, this October, or 2011. Not much really known.

-The original Halo book trilogy (Fall of Reach, The Flood, and First Strike) will be re-released in trade paperback format. This is only note-worthy because the three will come with “editorial notes, additional, updated information, and all-new original content.” Amazon has Fall of Reach as releasing August 3rd, could not find listings for the other two yet. I was planning on re-reading all the Halo stuff before Reach comes out anyway as a refresher (since the events in the book are much more relevant to Reach than the other games), so I'll pick this up.

-Karen Traviss has been brought on to pen a "successor" to Ghost of Onyx, to be released next year. Nothing more known at this time.

-Some Halo: Reach Avatar goods available on Xbox Live. All items available to both genders.

-Falcon shown a bit and with some more details. Already known that you can hit a button to lock your altitude. The pilot actually does not have any weapons at their disposal, however the Falcon can support two gunners. Apparently a Banshee "doesn't stand a chance" against a Falcon with two gunners on it.

-The Revenant shown for the first time. According to IGN it behaves a bit like a Ghost crossed with a Wraith tank. This two-seater can boost around and is rather agile, but it fires the massive plasma balls that the Wraith tanks dish out. It's pretty devastating, but it offers little protection for the rider.

-The Forklift shown and announced. I think everyone kinda forgot Bungie said there would be civilian vehicles in the game. Even makes the beeping sound when you are in reverse! Unfortunately, it apparently is so slow that you can't even splatter people with it. Hmmm.

-Entire Comic-con panel can now be found on Youtube staring here if you are so inclined.

-There are now unique assassinations using the Plasma Sword.

Firefight
Quote:
-There will be several Firefight variants shipping with the game, and apparently all will be in matchmaking (?).
*Firefight - One round.
*Firefight Classic - Likely Firefight, but with no time/round limit (like ODST)
*Generator Defense - Returning from the Beta.
*Gruntpocalypse - Easily the most exciting thing about Halo: Reach, the entire game is just like the Bonus Rounds from ODST's Firefight; all Grunts all the time, and apparently all skulls are turned on for this as well (can't seem to 100% confirm this)
*Rocketfight - Regular Firefight, but you have infinite Rocket Launchers.
*Score Attack - Firefight with identical enemy and Loadout setups every time; designed specifically this way so everyone is playing the exact same setup and can compete for the highest scores on the Leaderboards.
*Versus - 2 versus 2 Firefight. 2 play as the Spartans, 2 play as the Elites. At the end of the time/round/life limit, the players switch sides. The Elite players do not score points, their goal is to kill the Spartans as quickly as possible to minimize their point score. Elites have infinite lives, but a longer respawn than the Spartans. The Spartans are shooting for a higher score, and earn an extra life whenever they kill one of the human-controlled Elites. Whichever side has the highest score at the end of the game (from their turn as Spartans) wins.
-Video from Comic-con showing Gruntpocalypse. I honestly want nothing more in my entire life than to play this right now.

YouTube Video

-Video from Comic-con showing Rocketfight:

YouTube Video
-3 new multiplayer maps (apparently) leaked from a spanish site. The first is Spire. Focuses on Aerial combat, and there are mancannons and elevators to get you up top.

-The second new map is Reflection, a straight up remake of Ivory Tower. Said to be "exactly like you remember it."

-The 3rd new map is Zealot, a heavily modified version of Midship. You can also get outside and the gravity is different.

Forge World
Quote:
-Forge World announced. A huuuuuuge map that was originally 5 separate multiplayer maps, and were all rolled into once space. I would strongly recommend you watch this ViDoc first:

YouTube Video

Forge World has the following main areas: Coliseum, Canyon, Island, Pocket, Pillar. Also has smaller observable areas like the Lagoon (waterfall) and the Coastline (beach).

Forge World Variants shipping on the disc:
1. Forge World = default open map with all areas accessible
2. Asylum = Sanctuary "remake" in the Pocket
3. Griffball Court = area in the Coliseum
4. Hemorrhage = Blood Gulch/Coagulation remake in the Canyon
5. Paradiso = new map on the Island
6. Pinnacle = Ascension "remake" on the Pillar
7. The Cage = Guardian/Lockout "inspired" level at the Lagoon
8. Wizard/Warlock-looking level in the Coliseum, not officially confirmed as on the disc yet
Also along with Hemorrhage, Asylum, Paradiso, Pinnacle, and The Cage will actually be in Matchmaking rotation as well (with Hemorrhage and Cage 100% confirmed for this).

-Pinnacle ("Ascension")

-The Cage ("Guardian/Lockout" inspired)

-Asylum ("Sanctuary")

-Warlock/Wizard-looking level in the Coliseum

-They will be looking at popular maps (which can be much more easily tagged and spared) to get popular/good variants into matchmaking.

-Apparently you can Forge Invasion gametypes, but you cannot Forge Firefight variants (supposedly AI issues).

-You can create "kill fields" to block off portions of your map.

-You can make Armor Abilities item pickups on maps (and you can swap them out as well).

-You can now set up Teleporters of different sizes, and can set if you want vehicles to be able to go through them, and what types.

-The limit on saved items is now 1000 of everything; 1,000 Saved Films, Forge maps, gametypes, etc. IIRC it was 100 total in Halo 3.

-In addition to being able to change the color of bases (as seen in the ViDoc above), you can also apparently change the color of vehicles:

-Shot from the ViDoc and panel showing map selections; it's unclear if this is the final listing of maps or not. Also no idea what Halo Classic is.

-Unboxing video for all 3 Halo game editions. I'm much more sold on the Legendary edition now. Also additionally confirmed that the Legendary Edition-only will also net you a download code of some kind to download some crazy Behind the Scenes goodies that they're not talking about yet.

YouTube Video

-As seen in the Gruntpocolypse video up above, apparently the "Elegant Weapon" Achievement is for DMR headshots, as the guy earns it on the show floor lol.

-IGN video walkthrough of the Armory. ONE OR TWO FUCKING MILLION CREDITS for some of the Armor effects, Jesus.

YouTube Video

I was speaking idiomatically.
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:49 AM #334 of 1108
Can't wait for the Legendary statue to start gathering dust on my nerd shrine.

As soon as I get the armor sorted the way I want it, gonna save for Cortana's voice to make my dream female spartan complete. <3

Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2010, 12:44 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2010, 07:44 PM #335 of 1108
Lol that legendary edition is too much, but that limited edition looked really sweet.. might pick that up.. damnit.

no homo
Shake Appeal
Chocobo

Member 35708

Level 9.30

May 2010

Old Jul 25, 2010, 06:10 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2010, 12:10 AM #336 of 1108
Six weeks, one day.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2010, 08:27 PM #337 of 1108
Six weeks, one day.
I need to stop goofing and actually put in for the week. I'll do it tonight~

Anybody else going to do the midnight launch thing (assuming they do one which they have no reason to not to) or will I be alone in that regard? One of my favorite things about the H3 launch was coming back home and seeing like 30 dudes on my list playing and hopping into campaign with different people as the morning went on.

YOU'RE GONNA BE THERE RIGHT SHAKE

RIGHT

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2010, 09:09 PM Local time: Jul 25, 2010, 11:09 PM #338 of 1108
I need to stop goofing and actually put in for the week. I'll do it tonight~

Anybody else going to do the midnight launch thing (assuming they do one which they have no reason to not to) or will I be alone in that regard? One of my favorite things about the H3 launch was coming back home and seeing like 30 dudes on my list playing and hopping into campaign with different people as the morning went on.

YOU'RE GONNA BE THERE RIGHT SHAKE

RIGHT
Oh man. Most definitely going to the midnight release. Already have the next two days booked off work. I plan to come home, and be playing the game into the veeeeery early morning the first night.

Most amazing jew boots
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 25, 2010, 11:00 PM #339 of 1108
I'll be going to the midnight release, but I probably won't stay up super late playing it. The Halo 3 midnight release at the store I've pre-ordered from again was ridiculous, they had a live heavy metal band (??) and it was catered. Last time I got boned though because we had stopped by and they said they won't starting lineups until 11, but we got there at like 10:45 and they had apparently been doing line-ups since about 8, and we were a few hundred people back. Didn't wind up getting out of there until nearly 1 .

This year planning on probably going over there shortly after work (8-ish) so I can be one of the first in line, purely with the intent of actually trying to get out of there shortly after midnight. Will probably mainly just come home, install the game, and maybe play a game or two of Gruntpocolypse, then crash and just wake up early around 7 or 8. Definitely playing Gruntpocolypse first though for sure.

Shake Appeal
Chocobo

Member 35708

Level 9.30

May 2010

Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:17 AM Local time: Jul 26, 2010, 11:17 AM #340 of 1108
What exactly is the appeal of Gruntpocolypse above everything else? It's just Grunts.

I probably won't be going to any midnight launches (never have for a videogame), but if pick it up first thing in the morning on the 14th that's 4am EST. I'll probably play solo Campaign for a few levels first, though, and then see what friends are doing.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:21 AM #341 of 1108
The appeal is that Daravon is a silly bastard. Who gets on anything other than campaign first. Also FUCK YOU playing Solo you're totally getting on with us.

No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:32 AM Local time: Jul 26, 2010, 04:32 AM #342 of 1108
Why go to a midnight launch? Seems, you know, ridiculous.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2010, 05:45 AM #343 of 1108
Because I despise the sun, I despise waiting to get something when I know it's right there, and I'm normally up at night anyway so why the fuck not.

Serious answer though, most of NEGRO POSSE, this insanely funny crew of ghetto black guys who all know each other up in New York usually get their shit at midnight and playing stuff with them at 1am is the best god damn thing. "YO NIGGA WHERE'D THIS NIGGA WITH THE HAMMER COME FROM I JUST GOT MY SHIT PUSHED IN SON" makes it all worth it. Otherwise I wouldn't really care.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Tails; Jul 26, 2010 at 05:48 AM.
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:41 AM #344 of 1108
What exactly is the appeal of Gruntpocolypse above everything else? It's just Grunts.
Yes.

Why go to a midnight launch? Seems, you know, ridiculous.
About 75% of the reason I'm going is because the last two times (Halo 2 and 3) my store has been ridiculous. They had a god damn MC cake last time. More of a crowd/experience thing then getting the game a couple hours early thing.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2010, 06:57 PM #345 of 1108
Interesting little bit from IGN I don't think we knew about regarding Challenges setting up automatically if you select them:

Quote:
One of the best ways to farm credits is by participating in the daily and weekly challenges Bungie is injecting into Halo: Reach. Each day a new challenge will appear, which you can learn simply by being signed into Xbox Live and scrolling down to the Challenge portion of the menu. Complete the challenge and you'll get "a significant number of credits."

There may be some crazy conditions that need to be met, including playing on specific levels with specific skulls turned on. Just setting up a game could be a chore -- or at least it could be if Bungie wasn't doing all of the work for you. When you scroll to a specific challenge, all you have to do is hit the A Button to accept it. From there, the game will automatically set up a lobby with all of the specific conditions needed to meet the challenge already set up for you.

How ya doing, buddy?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:09 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2010, 01:09 AM #346 of 1108
Also FUCK YOU playing Solo you're totally getting on with us.
The problem with that on day one is that if you don't start at the same time as everyone else you won't know what happens in the first few levels. Never the less, given my timezone advantage I might actually have the game and be on once people start playing through the campaign.

Most amazing jew boots
SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:13 PM #347 of 1108
I haven't decided if I'm doing co-op or solo first. I guess if we can get a group to do it start to finish co-op I'm down, but if it's going to be disjointed with different people I'll just play through it on Normal for my first time or something. They said it's "on par" with the length of Halo 3, so solo on normal I can't imagine would take more than 5 or 6 hours tops anyway.

Also I spent practically all fucking day at work thinking about Gruntpocolypse. God damn it.

Grundlefield Earth
I'm sorry buddy!

Member 65

Level 32.03

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2010, 07:36 PM Local time: Jul 26, 2010, 07:36 PM #348 of 1108
Sign me up for endless multiplayer sessions for sure.

I usually like to play games solo by myself first, but after that I am all for the coop action.

Send me a friend request. GT BahamutZ (link was in my sig, but I have a sigpic ban)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Ramenbetsu
Ramengatari: The Story of the Noodle Samurai

Member 1053

Level 23.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 26, 2010, 10:29 PM #349 of 1108
My GS is pretty ghetto so I probably won't be doing the midnight launch. Went with a friend for MW2 and I swear to god this big black dude was trading in like 11 of his kids Wii games for it. White dude was smoking a blunt in the parking lot in his caddy sitting on twenty fours. There was also a sixteen year old kid there who was being the biggest cunt to his mother when their car wouldn't start because he wanted to get home and play. I'm not even playing.

If I'm somehow drunk and or high on the 14th, I'll go.

SailorDaravon
Mountain Chocobo

Member 204

Level 28.55

Mar 2006

Old Jul 28, 2010, 07:29 PM #350 of 1108
Finally got the details on the Limited Edition guide. I'm assuming the description below is also for the regular guide, barring the last point.

Quote:
; Beautiful hardcover book with dust jacket features multiple finishes.
; Official artwork enhances pages designed for beauty and ease of use.
; Exclusive maps found only in the official guide show locations of enemy engagements and weapon caches for the campaign.
; Walkthrough is carefully written to guide the user through all difficulty levels.
; Enemies and characters sections show official art, bios, and list stats.
; Chapters covering the credit system and armour customisation provide information and tactics for obtaining the available armour pieces for character customisation in the fastest way possible.
; Achievements guide describes all achievements and trophies in the game, including how to complete them.
; Exclusive 96 page developer's diary with concept art and personal commentary from the design team at Bungie studios. A must for any Halo fan!
Not bad, not bad. Also I got my Noble 7 figure today, I enjoy that it has both a Comic-con exclusive label printed on it, as well as a Toys R Us Exclusive sticker on it.

Tags
fucking armor lock, halo, halo reach

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [360] Halo Reach: Ghosts of GFF