Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Looking for help with an internet problem!

FannKiba
Memories of Nobody

Member 2366

Level 4.68

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2010, 09:28 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2010, 07:28 PM #1 of 6
Looking for help with an internet problem!

Hello again GamingForce, it has truly been a while.

Anyway I am having a problem with what I think is my router. It is a wireless router (Belkin F6D4230- 4 v2) Anyway my computer is connected to it with a wire and my girlfriend uses wireless for her laptop.

The problem I am having is that when I play online games, especially the new League of Legends, and then the g/f gets on her laptop and starts surfing the internet it lags me out. Almost like the router is giving more power to the wireless connections rather than the wired ones.

As any online gamer will know it is extremely aggravating to be playing online in a vs. game and then get lagged out.

So is there anything I could do to possibly decrease the amount of internet super juices being pumped out to wireless connections and increase them for my wired connection?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Funky Soy Sauce Pringles
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jan 6, 2010, 07:29 AM Local time: Jan 6, 2010, 01:29 PM #2 of 6
The term you're looking for is QoS (quality of service). Try looking into the configuration menu of your router, maybe it does support QoS.

If it does you can configure QoS such that it allocates more priority to your connection.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
FannKiba
Memories of Nobody

Member 2366

Level 4.68

Mar 2006

Old Jan 7, 2010, 09:24 PM Local time: Jan 7, 2010, 07:24 PM #3 of 6
Hmm, I checked on the website that is supposed to be the Control Panel for routers. I can't seem to find it anywhere. Is there another area it might be? like a file on my PC or something?

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Funky Soy Sauce Pringles
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Jan 8, 2010, 04:31 AM Local time: Jan 8, 2010, 10:31 AM #4 of 6
If the hardware is this one (SG :: Belkin F6D4230-4 Wireless Router) you probably don't have QoS support, just WMM - but this won't help you here (I think...).

I would advice to change the routing hardware, possibly to a device which is compatible with DD-WRT (www.dd-wrt.com | Unleash Your Router), which is an alternate (and open) firmware for a lot of WiFi/routing devices and has among other neat things the QoS feature.

Apart from that you can try throttling the connection speed directly at your gfs system. I think I remember some tool which hooked the network stack and reduced transmission rate to a custom level. However this is a very sub-optimal solution and I'm not even sure it's going to work. Better get some device which supports QoS.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
FannKiba
Memories of Nobody

Member 2366

Level 4.68

Mar 2006

Old Jan 13, 2010, 07:53 PM Local time: Jan 13, 2010, 05:53 PM #5 of 6
Well I may just buy a new router, is there any I could get recommended that are good for gaming, but also fairly cheap? As I have seen some expensive routers, and do not exactly have the cash to dish out for them.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Funky Soy Sauce Pringles
thegunner
Wark!

Member 35026

Level 1.73

Dec 2009

Old Jan 15, 2010, 01:09 PM #6 of 6
the older netgear wtg54's are pretty cheap now... and were workhorses that you could swap firmware for

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Looking for help with an internet problem!