Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Need a laptop for school - any recommendations?

Locke
Flying High

Member 488

Level 23.98

Mar 2006

Old Jul 2, 2009, 09:18 PM #1 of 3
Need a laptop for school - any recommendations?

These are the minimum requirements for a laptop for my wife's school - we're looking to spend as little money as possible, but get something that will last the four years of school.

Processor
* Intel Core 2 Duo / Centrino 2

Memory
* Minimum 2GB / 4GB recommended

Drives
* 160GB Hard Drive (minimum)
* DVD±RW (±R DL) DVD and CD burner

Display and Graphics
* 15” display
* 128MB display adaptor (minimum)

Communications
* Wireless: 802.11b/g/n
* Ethernet: 10/100/1000

We are looking to spend 500-600 CAD on everything (taxes, shipping included), but if you can pick it up in-store - I can fly over and pick it up for free.

Most amazing jew boots
Licensed Commercial Pilot!
Currently: Float Pilot in BC
Need a pilot? PM Me.
Commercial Pilot, land and seaplanes, single and multi engines, instrument rating... I'm a jack of all trades! I can even be type rated!

DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2009, 12:06 PM Local time: Jul 29, 2009, 11:06 AM #2 of 3
This isn't an Intel processor, but it's a dual core and IMO it's a screamin' deal and it meets all your other spec requirements.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2009, 01:04 PM Local time: Oct 26, 2009, 02:04 AM #3 of 3
I wanna buy a new Desktop Replacement Laptop!

Note: I thought it would be more appropriate to bump up this 3-month old thread - than to make a new one which basically asks the same question in a different manner.

New Windows release, new line of laptops, with manufacturers salivating at the prospect of a new upgrading cycle. And I'm ready to hop on.

For a long time, I've been eyeing the Sony Vaio FW45 model, which has a P8700 (2.53GHz) processor, 3GB of RAM, a 400 GB hard disk, an ATI video card with 512MB VRAM, and most important to me, 16.4" widescreen screen. The price has stubbornly refused to drop from SG$2199 (around US$1600). My sweet spot is at SG$1800.

Sony Singapore has just introduced a new model called the FW55, which is the 45's successor. It has a slightly faster processor and a brand new OS, but is otherwise identical in specifications to the predecessor. It retails at 2199 as well -- I wanted to jump in and buy the 45 model, but it doesn't seem to be available now.

So, I've no choice but to re-evaluate the current lineups, from ALL vendors now.

The following things are very important to me:
  1. As large a screen as possible
  2. As reliable as can be, and barring that, excellent service
  3. Will cost no more than SGD2199.
I don't much care about battery life.

From my own experience, my Toshiba laptop was very good feature-wise, but before the first year was over, I had replaced the motherboard, hard disk, LCD screen, RAM, and speakers. The service stinks as well, although all the replacements were done within the warranty period. A month after the warranty expired, the DVD drive went bust. But despite these small problems, the Toshiba was a really good laptop, honest!

I've also dealt with Dells, and boy, these were weak-ass plastic toys with keys and hinges that easily fall apart.

I've used IBM (Lenovo) ThinkPads, and they're rock-solid. Haven't had any fail on me yet - and the support is excellent. The problem is the price versus the feature set - the ThinkPad range looks a tad pricey.

I have never touched an HP/Compaq, a Fujitsu, or a Gateway. Acer and Asus are Taiwanese brands, and aren't synonymous with reliability in my mind. Ditto with Samsung and LG laptops - the Korean wannabes. Panasonic makes really tough notebooks, but I don't wreck laptops enough to justify the price premium, given the substandard specs.

Nevertheless! I'm willing to forget all that. Maybe 2 years is enough time for Toshiba to start making good laptops, and Lenovo to fuck up with their ThinkPads. There's a new OS, so I'm willing to clear out my preconceptions, and go with more recent anecdotes.

Dear denizens of the Computing Forums, the point of my wall of text is just to ask you the following:

What laptop, given my specifications, would you recommend -- based on your recent personal experience? Conversely, which ones should I avoid like the plague?

Thank you!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Need a laptop for school - any recommendations?