Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Does anyone here use one of those Wacom/Tablet things?

Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 02:31 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2009, 09:31 AM #1 of 12
Does anyone here use one of those Wacom/Tablet things?

Reason why I ask, is that I'd like to get back into drawing and painting.
I stopped drawing about 5 years ago. Once I started working daily with graphics, I was kinda exhausted creativity-wise once I got home.
But the last year or so, the lust and inspiration seems to be returning.

Also, I've become more and more impressed with stuff like this:
YouTube Video

The ease of it! The idea of not having to fiddle around with easels and paint stains on everything appeals to me.
Also, by now I know Photoshop so well, it would feel archaic going back to pen and eraser.

So, anyone have any experience with tablets?
I've really had an eye for this cheap 2nd hand (but rarely used) A5 Intuos3?

Yeah I know I might won't be overrun with answers in here, but here goes nothing.
The CC was actually one of my main reasons for joining this place back in 2002

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Paco
????

Member 175

Level 58.82

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 02:42 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2009, 12:42 AM #2 of 12
I carry my Wacom Graphire everywhere I go with my laptop just in case I need to fuck about with a design. It's like an extension of my design hand.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 03:45 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2009, 10:45 AM #3 of 12
So I take it that going Wacom is inevitable if I want to take it to the next level, or at least for people who are serious with their stuff?

My whole body urges me to run off and buy it right now, but I might want wait, because I hardly ever have any Christmas ideas for myself (I always just run off and buy the stuff I want).
This would make an excellent pool together-thing.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Zergrinch
Evil Grinch

Member 666

Level 50.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 04:27 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2009, 05:27 PM #4 of 12
For months now, I've been lusting after Wacom's tablet displays, where you draw directly on the screen in Photoshop.

My lust typically evaporates when I see the $2000+ price tag though.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Single Post URL
Transparent Color Code:
[color=#14194e]
Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:02 AM Local time: Oct 2, 2009, 03:02 PM #5 of 12
Yeah, a Cintiq or even the Axiotron Modbook looks damn awesome. But it's a costly Falcon Punch to the wallet.

Some day, down the line, when the price is right.
Right now this rookie's choice is much more simple and affordable.

I was speaking idiomatically.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 08:24 AM #6 of 12
I have a 20" Cintiq and a 9x12 Intuos3, they're both magnificent. The Cintiq is admittedly a lot more intuitive and easy to use, however using it and now being used to it has made using the Intuos3 easier too (Even though I very rarely do use it)

If you've got the cash for an Intuos3, its a great purchase and it won't let you down. I found that I just couldn't get used to drawing on tablets and it took me awhile to get really comfortable with it.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Seris
zzzzzz

Member 1928

Level 33.66

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:02 AM #7 of 12
I can get by with my 4x6 wacom bamboo fun. It was dirt cheap and it gets the job done. Admittedly I am a terrible artist though so I'd be more inclined to listen to the pros above.

FELIPE NO
Shenlon
YARG!

Member 469

Level 30.22

Mar 2006

Old Oct 2, 2009, 09:05 AM #8 of 12
I myself have a 4x5 intuos3. Reason I got it in the first place is because it was refurbished and incredibly cheap compared to the full price. Got it 2 years ago and has yet to fail me.
I too am no real expert at this but I will say that if you want to cheap out for a small model, it'll feel bigger when you actually start using it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

New Record!
Malmer
From Shambler with Love

Member 168

Level 17.93

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2009, 04:59 AM Local time: Oct 4, 2009, 11:59 AM #9 of 12
Well, I did it. I went ahead and bought the A5 Intuos3...

And it fucking ROCKS!

Installed the driver, plugged it in, started Photoshop, picked up the pen and there's just magic. Damn it's easy. No messing around with paint tubes, water, paper and paintbrushes. I'm just plugged in digitally and splashing away on my canvas like there's no tomorrow.

Now, my actual drawing and painting skills are extremely rusty, but that'll come around. I screwed around with it last night before going to bed, and it improved just having fun with these four cliché pieces. In chronological order:

This thing is so awesome, I had no idea.
Now it's getting put away for Christmas. Because I haven't actually got it yet shhhhhhhh

Jam it back in, in the dark.
VitaminZinc
Bad and Evil

Member 57

Level 18.74

Mar 2006

Old Oct 4, 2009, 05:04 AM #10 of 12
I've got an Intuous2 and I really like it--when I do use it. There's a slight learning curve if you've never used one before, imo, but that could be said about anything. They make everything easier and you'll never know how you lived without one after you get the hang of it.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
ComradeTande
:B

Member 2213

Level 15.98

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2009, 05:37 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2009, 04:37 PM #11 of 12
I started with a tiny 3 x 4 tablet of some offbrand quality. Used it here and there.

I now have just a Bamboo Fun Medium which is like 8.5 x 5.3 or some jazz like that.
Overall, its smarter to start with a cheap one and then build yourself up to a decent one...you know get used to it before you blow your money on a big one. I think the first one I bought was only about 50 bucks, and I only ended up buying the new one because it broke. I still prefer traditional mediums any day though. Although I'm a shitty artist anyway, so what does it matter.

I have issues with my bamboo though, the curser either moves too slow or too fast. I thought that the drivers came with a program that would change that, but I couldn't find it to save my life.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > Does anyone here use one of those Wacom/Tablet things?