Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

I need recommendations for a wireless PCI card or a wireless USB adapter

Hush and Cool
Chocobo

Member 1625

Level 14.01

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2009, 02:05 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2009, 12:05 PM #1 of 3
I need recommendations for a wireless PCI card or a wireless USB adapter

I want my desktop PC to be able to have wireless internet capability. My router is a Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless-G Broadband Router (Amazon.com: Linksys WRT54G2 Wireless-G Broadband Router: Electronics). I am looking for either a wireless pci card, or a wireless adapter that I can connect to my usb port that will give me wireless capability (I would prefer something that I can just connect to my usb port). So far, I have found these 2:

Amazon.com: Linksys WUSB54GC Compact Wireless-G USB Adapter: Electronics

Amazon.com: Linksys WUSB54G Wireless-G USB Adapter: Electronics

In general, are there wireless usb adapters that can function as well as the pci cards? I’d prefer those since I’m not sure if I will be able to fit another pci card in my desktop PC.

Thanks.

Most amazing jew boots
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Aug 4, 2009, 09:17 AM Local time: Aug 4, 2009, 03:17 PM #2 of 3
For better performance you want to go with the PCI card. USB has a lot of protocol overhead and especially pings tend to be much higher for USB-based cards (also watch out when operating multiple devices on the same root hub).

If you just want to have "access to the web" then it probably doesn't matter which one you choose. However I don't see the reason why to prefer a external solution for a desktop system. Most laptops have a internal solution anyway and I figure it doesn't happen very often that you use the same USB box for two systems (meaning: it stays connected to one system most of the time).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
DeLorean
1.21 GIGAWATTS?!

Member 133

Level 28.95

Mar 2006

Old Aug 25, 2009, 11:18 AM Local time: Aug 25, 2009, 10:18 AM #3 of 3
I've had a few USB wireless adapters, and a few wireless PCI cards and I can report that I none of the wireless USB adapters I bought lasted more than 6 months. One of them quit being able to see wireless networks, one disconnected every 4-5 minutes, and the other stopped being detected by any computer I plugged it into. I don't know much about the technical differences, but from experience I can definitely point you toward a PCI.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > I need recommendations for a wireless PCI card or a wireless USB adapter