Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

2008 Animu Review Thread

Tails
MY STICK

Member 104

Level 55.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2008, 07:15 AM #1 of 8
2008 Animu Review Thread

Well the year's rounding up and most shows from the Winter season are getting ready to kick in like V-TEC, so I figure now's a good time to take a look back and name our favorite shows from this years choices! I do this because I'm largely interested in what you folks watched, that and because man this place is so dead. ;_;

Anyways, I'll start us off with my Top 5 and honorable mentions, forgoing the obvious like Gundam and Geass. Anything that aired from January to current is game.

#5: Kamen no Maid Guy

Wait, don't throw your tomatoes just yet. Yeah I know, one too many boob jobes. Ok, maybe like a million too many boob jokes. But Kogarashi alone makes this slapstick boobs comedy worth watching from beginning to end. There's Fubuki too, but who cares about her when you have the epitome of manliness in a maid outfit by her side. It's so absurd at times you can't help but love it.

#4: Wagaya no Oinari-Sama

This Comedy/Fantasy/Slice of Life tale from XECES came at the recommendation of Bigblah, who wondered why I wasn't watching it because I am obviously so furry. Anyways it's the story of fox deity Tenko Kuugen, who is tasked with protecting the two young heads of the Takagami family. Most of the episodes revolve around the trouble caused by Kuugens appearance and somewhat childish nature, but the well rounded cast of characters (and delusional would-be girlfriends) and overall theme of family made this show a shining beacon in a season of letdowns.

#3 Casshern Sins

(I'd give this one a higher spot but it's not done airing yet) Madhouse has without a doubt produced the most beautiful looking show I've seen all year. A reboot of the Casshern franchise, Sins displays a powerful look into the ruining post apocalyptic world and delivers week after week of moving tales of survival and insanely well done fights. It's slow paced in spots, but it's a gorgeous kind of slow paced. With the direction it's taking, Casshern will likely end up being my favorite in '09 as well.

#2 The Telepathy Girl Ran

The story of Ran Isozaki, her childhood friend Rui, and self proclaimed beauty and genius Naha Midori and their special powers quickly became a sleeper hit on my list and a quick favorite with it's endless charm and character building. It also helps that it's got the best fucking big brother ever and an even better team of parents. It subverts a few of the common tropes associated with girls with powers, and does a wonderful job making me smile week after week. Doesn't help that I'm a sucker for any role Emiri Kato does lately. ;_;

#1 Shigofumi: Letters from the Departed

Raise your hand if you saw this one coming. It's all I talked about in the spring, how could I not give this one my top spot? Sure I could give it to DMC, but that's just unfair because no show can beat DMC, ever. The only downside to Shigofumi was the ending was rushed, but JC Staff did the right thing in releasing a 13th episode and patching all that nonsense up. Lolfangstaff + oh god Chiaki = Winner.

Honorable Mentions

Real Drive - Shirow's latest work about fat girls and OH GOD THE OCEAN IS SO DEEP never falls short in the character development department, but lacks any cohesive direction or story until the last few episodes. Not that the show wasn't anything short of amazingly fun to watch, but it's no GitS.

Koharu Biyori - tit jokes tit jokes tit jokes tentacle monsters mindless otaku pandering oh god eri kitamura you are the best seiyuu ever.

Library War - Call of Duty 4: Modern Bookshelves

Hyakko - Bisexual

Spice and Wolf - Can we get a second season that's just Lawrence and that ultra moe shepherd chick? I'd watch that so bad.

So that's it for me, what were you guys' top 5 in '08? In before Blah lists Macross F to make me angry and Taco's #1 is Strike Witches.

Most amazing jew boots

#654: Braixen
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2008, 11:33 AM 1 #2 of 8
Did Detroit Metal City come out in 2008? If so, that gets my vote for best anime to ever co-exist among human beings. Show is utterly hysterical and ridiculous with nary a flaw to be found.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2008, 03:48 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2008, 01:48 PM #3 of 8
Nary a flaw? I thought that the last few episodes were inconsistent, but that's because such a gag can only be drawn out so far before it becomes grating. Had this continued on further than it had, I could see it going downhill really fast.

Oh well, my top 5:

#5 - Natsume Yuujinchou
Really beautiful atmospheric kind of show that packs a lot of heart. Every episode is absolutely wonderful, especially in the way it manages to draw out the viewer's emotions through its many poignant scenes making it a fairly enjoyable experience.

#4 - Spice and Wolf
Solid show with an unusual premise, but one that delivers in spades because of the excellent amount of chemistry between Horo and Craft Lawrence (contrary to what Tails says). It also helps that some of the plots they devise, like the whole currency devaluation issue was interesting without going too far into the econ-speak as to render it totally boring.

#3 - Kure-nai
Totally biased because this show has a boatload of characters that are interesting to analyze. The dialog is intelligent all around and the only thing keeping this show from being totally awesome is the ending, which isn't quite on par with what came before in the realm of character development.

#2 - Zoku Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
Takes the first season and pumps it up with an overdose of insanity. The show just fires jokes willy nilly and even if you don't "get" them, it's hard not to be entertained since there really isn't a slow moment at all. Shinbo's weirdness carries the day once again and I just loved every moment of it.

#1 - ARIA the ORIGINATION
Tough pick, but this one really does it for me. The premise of some gondoliers moving up in the world might seem like a really wonky one to base 13 episodes (let alone the episodes from ANIMATION and NATURAL), but this show is very touching and only gets better and better with each passing episode. I just couldn't help but feel charmed by the characters and the way the series ended was stunningly good.

No honorable mentions aside from shows I haven't watched by probably belong:
Kaiba - I heard it has an engaging story. Need to get around to watching it.
Macross F - Not bad from what I've seen. Again, just need to motivate myself into watching this one.

Fall shows that have not completed but are good (or have the potential to be):
Tytania - grand, sweeping, and EPIC. Really enjoying the machinations and Fan Hyulick is pretty awesome.
One Outs - Baseball made all the more awesome. I can't help it but enjoy the main character, who's different enough from Akagi and Kaiji to stand on his own.
Eve no Jikan - Very very good show. Delves into the relationships between humans and robots and inquires what it means to simply exist and have a will. Asimov would be proud.
Mouryou no Hako - Very intriguing mystery/horror series. Subs where?
Michiko and Hatchin - It's like Bebop except the characters aren't quite as endearing. The show's got a lot of style to it though and it certainly has the potential to get better.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume
Boo-kun
boo u

Member 311

Level 20.17

Mar 2006

Old Dec 19, 2008, 04:36 PM Local time: Dec 19, 2008, 11:36 PM #4 of 8
I won't list these shows in any particular order, so I'll just mention some of the stuff I'd watch again. If some of the titles don't ring a bell, you might as well go read about them.

Aria the Origination
- Sequel to Natural, nuff said.

Detroit Metal City
- Best laughs this year.

Hidamari Sketch x365
- I'm tempted to call this the best show this year, but I must be fair to the others!
oshi..

Macross Frontier
- I watched all of Macross (yes, all) when I heard this was coming out, and it didn't dissapoint. Got my Sheryl ending.

Natsume Yuujinchou
- Very lovely supernatural show, one of the more relaxing shows to watch this year.

Astro Fighter Sunred
- Completely took me off by suprise, nice humorous good-feel show you might say. Ongoing.

Allison & Lillia
- Great, hearty adventures of 2 generations of youngsters.

Kaiba
- Man, that was some trippy stuff. Interesting style too.

Kamen no Maid Guy
- Ecchi comedy, that's like a fusion of win and win. Much luls were had.

Kyou no Go no Ni (aka Today in class 5-2)
- Enjoyed the OAV few years back, and now TV returns even better. Ongoing.

The Telepathy Girl Ran
- Nice supernatural show, tho it went a bit repeatative in the end.

The daughter of Twenty Faces
- Fun adventurous mystery.

Tytania
- Space opera and various teas etc., what's not to love.

Wagaya no Oinari
- Rarely have I enjoyed a show this much. Even if the lead was a furry. But this time it works in its favor. Delicious furry wtf!

xxxHolic: Kei
- I loved them noodle people before, and this sequel was just as great.

There are couple of shows this season that I haven't watched beyond few eps due to mess with subbers, but I may like Hyakko, Casshern Sins, Kurozuka.

There are also some shows, that might not be fabulous, but plenty watchable, perhaps even great for some. Such as:
Yozakura Quartet, Kemeko DX, Kuroshitsuji, Toradora, Tales of Abyss, To Aru Majutsu no Index, Xamd.

Alright fine, I watch a lot of stuff, and even like em. BUT that doesn't mean I'm not critical while viewing them.

EDIT.
Bloody hell I forgot to list Spice & Wolf. So there. :|

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Boo-kun; Dec 19, 2008 at 04:48 PM.
Ozma
Here's Johnny!!!

Member 10311

Level 25.67

Jul 2006

Old Dec 20, 2008, 07:00 AM Local time: Dec 20, 2008, 07:00 PM #5 of 8
My top five:

#5: Chaos;HEAd
When ---I forgot his name---posted this under NHK+Higurashi, I must agree. From a magnificent game comes a nearly perfect adaptation. A super special story of horror and cute girls.

#4: Shinreigari ~Ghost Hound~
Not really sure if this could be included in 2008, but nevertheless, this science-fiction-mystery genre adds up into a quite amusing and educative anime. Two thumbs up for I.G!

#3: MNEMOSYNE no Musume-tachi
At least! Another thriller with sexy characters, eye-catching story, and Noto Mamiko! Although not as gory as Elfen Lied, a fresh idea of immortality and unique story brings up memories of old thriller suspense.

#2: ZOKU! Sayonara Zetsubou Sensei
What is more to say? A teaching story in a wacky way of telling. With a captive style of directing and features making ordinary boring people went , the coming back of Itoshiki Nozomu and his surroundings makes one of unusual genre in this year and previous yeaar.

#1: Kyouran Kazoku Nikki
A good moral must come with a good crazy idea about random evil jokes. What is less expected than a family frenzy whose craziness and spontaneous destructive acts brings virtue in an indirect way? Fuck Saiunkoku Monogatari and its nosy business.

In consideration:

BLASSREITER
Natsume Yuujinchou
Nijuu Mensou no Musume
Allison to Lillia

I was speaking idiomatically.
Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:07 PM Local time: Jan 6, 2009, 01:07 AM #6 of 8
Haha, My lists definitely aren't as long as most of you guys, and what I've liked over the year has pretty much been mentioned already by atleast one of you guys except for possibly one.

5. Michiko to Hatchin - I'm not a hundred percent on this, but I believe it's done by the same people who did Samurai Champloo? It atleast feels that way when I watch it.

4. Toradora - Nothing super special, but it's funny enough to watch.

3. Tytania - I'm finding myself really liking this, space opera for the win.

2. Detroit Metal City - So freaken awesome. I remember times of laughing to tears with this show.

1. Bounen no Xamdou(Xam'd: Lost Memories) - It's pacing, style, and story are very similar to Eureka Seven, I was a big fan of that series, so this is just like another helping for me.

honourable mentions:

Natsume Yuujinchou - was definitely a treat of a series, I was really sad when it ended at 12. I wish there was more.

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Quote; Jan 5, 2009 at 11:13 PM.
zzeroparticle
Shinkai fanatic

Member 715

Level 21.86

Mar 2006

Old Jan 5, 2009, 11:59 PM Local time: Jan 5, 2009, 09:59 PM #7 of 8
Natsume Yuujinchou - was definitely a treat of a series, I was really sad when it ended at 12. I wish there was more.
I presume you're aware that the second season of Natsume should be airing soonish?

FELIPE NO
My spheres of activity:
Anime Instrumentality Blog - Latest Music Reviews: Gundam Unicorn Soundtrack | Kampfer Soundtrack
Eminence Online (anime music reviewer) - Latest review: Noir Original Soundtrack
The Nihon Review - Latest review: Taisho Yakyuu Musume
Spartan

Member 2588

Level 6.89

Mar 2006

Old Jan 6, 2009, 12:46 AM Local time: Jan 6, 2009, 02:46 AM #8 of 8
I presume you're aware that the second season of Natsume should be airing soonish?
SHIT, I was not. I will definitely keep an eye out. Thanks for the heads up.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > 2008 Animu Review Thread