Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Continue? Retro-gaming comes to life

NinjaguyDan
Collect and Contribute

Member 28985

Level 16.82

Mar 2008

Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:04 PM #1 of 9
Continue? Retro-gaming comes to life

Continue?

Retro gaming in the 21st century.

With the invention of “virtual consoles” and “emulators”, old games can be brought back to life for short periods of time, to be played by today’s casual gamer in their spare time. However, retro games on a current generation system sometimes feels like they were just put there as a novelty.

Our goal is to bring back to life the feeling you got when you opened up your cardboard NES box, and fumbled around with paper packaging, only to eventually pry your grey cartridge out of it’s safe wrapping and jam it into your Nintendo. We want to relive those glory days, where the reset button was actually used to get a game to work and where games were simple yet fun.

Continue? is dedicated towards replaying the games of the 1980’s and 1990’s, and having fun poking fun at them in the process. This online magazine will have a variety of writers and will review a large span of games. If we don’t review a game you love, then why don’t you? We are currently looking for contributing writers who share the same love of retro games as we do! Feel free to contact us and pitch some stories, and we’d love to have you add them!

-Justin B.
Founder/Editor of Continue?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Diversion
Jellicle Cat

Member 68

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:15 PM 1 #2 of 9
The things you can do with a Wordpress account these days.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:50 PM Local time: Dec 23, 2008, 08:50 PM #3 of 9
The only way to bring back the feeling of opening up a game cartridge would be to make modern games all cost 6 times as much, thereby making them as available to us now as carts were when we were 15.

Retro-gaming is pretty bollocks really. I mean, I have fond memories of a lot of games sure, but when you play them again now it's not the same because games have changed beyond recognition now and are so much more involving and immersive that moving left and right and hitting fire forever just isn't fun anymore.

Also, aren't you like 19 years old? I doubt you're even old enough to remember the Amiga, let alone the really retro stuff like the C64 or Spectrum +2.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2008, 02:53 PM Local time: Dec 23, 2008, 01:53 PM 4 #4 of 9
O, please, Shin. A well made game holds up over the years just fine. I can still pick up Super Mario 3 and enjoy the hell out of it. I still regularly play a slew of SNES games. Hell, there's still a few NES games I tear into.

Just because you're a pissy graphics-whore now doesn't mean we all lost the things that made us enjoy the originals.

Seriously, man. You've been in a bad mood all day. What's the matter, Kanye fuck your woman or something?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

llmercll
Banned

Member 31986

Level 8.89

Oct 2008

Old Dec 23, 2008, 03:51 PM #5 of 9
What's the matter, Kanye fuck your woman or something?
What? George Bush hates black people?

I too love retro gaming, although I only go back to the NES days. I'm not an Atari kinda guy.
I even found a way to make all my old school gamepads usb compatible, so I really get the genuine package.

Either way this "magazine" seems, yeah.....

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by llmercll; Dec 23, 2008 at 04:00 PM.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:35 PM Local time: Dec 23, 2008, 09:35 PM 1 #6 of 9
Quote:
What? George Bush hates black people?
I get it.

That is like that thing that Kanye West said.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Fluffykitten McGrundlepuss
Motherfucking Chocobo

Member 589

Level 64.55

Mar 2006

Old Dec 23, 2008, 04:59 PM Local time: Dec 23, 2008, 10:59 PM 1 #7 of 9
O, please, Shin. A well made game holds up over the years just fine. I can still pick up Super Mario 3 and enjoy the hell out of it. I still regularly play a slew of SNES games. Hell, there's still a few NES games I tear into.

Just because you're a pissy graphics-whore now doesn't mean we all lost the things that made us enjoy the originals.

Seriously, man. You've been in a bad mood all day. What's the matter, Kanye fuck your woman or something?
Psssh, Super Mario 3 was dull when it came out.

I have nothing against retro gaming per se, I just find that I remember things better than they are if I pick them up now. It's not the graphics, it's the limited gameplay. Especially when it comes to proper old school games like stuff on the Spectrum, the difficulty is ramped up to a stupid level and the games are pretty short so you can never get very far anyway. When you're a kid that's cool because you only get one or two games a year so god damn you're going to enjoy them. Nowadays, I get bored and I play something else because there's so much on offer.

I have no nostalgia for the NES because I never had one and I don't think I ever knew anyone with one. It was all about Spectrums, then Ataris then Amigas and Acorns when I was at school. I still enjoy playing Street Fighter 2 but I prefer playing the alpha or vs games than the original SNES version. Anyway, I don't really think of the SNES as retro gaming, retro gaming for me is proper old stuff that you had to load on a tape. You youngsters don't really know about proper oldschool gaming...

FELIPE NO
Rotorblade
Holy Chocobo

Member 22205

Level 32.07

Apr 2007

Old Dec 23, 2008, 05:20 PM Local time: Dec 23, 2008, 03:20 PM #8 of 9
Depending on what you want to call "retro gaming", I guess determines your standards. I can't say I think Europe's old age platforming holds up worth a shit, so whatever. That entire history of development seemed to try and ape Mario for all it was worth, but I don't think anyone in their right mind seriously thinks back on James Pond without laughing in good humor.

Given this guy clearly calls retro gaming as opening up an old cartridge, I'd say I agree with Shin on most of those titles. Mostly because a lot of those ideas have been updated, as said. Still, on the other hand you have games that set precedents or still hold up. Street Fighter II Hyper Fighting still holds up in comparison to a lot of fighting games, as did Super Turbo. A game like Maken X hasn't seen a game produced quite like it (call the reason for that what you will, it's unique and solid as a title). I don't think it's as easy as looking for a singular experience or genre or age to define that standard, but I guess it's nice to have a personal one.

I think it's always nice to go back to a game you played when you were younger and actually be able to have that new found perception. Sometimes the game really is better for it, sometimes it's worse. I know that playing Mega Man X makes me realize how dead on that game was and how you can pretty much see its predecessors deteriorate in quality. It's gotta be more than "Better or worse than" if you are gonna pay attention to the stuff.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
DarkMageOzzie
Chief Strategist

Member 4144

Level 22.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 24, 2008, 08:20 AM #9 of 9
Old games that I go back to and tend to enjoy just as much every time are RPGs... Although Street Fighter has definately held up better then Mortal Kombat. I tried to play MK Trilogy a few years ago and that game was crap.

How ya doing, buddy?

"Out thought and out fought."

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Continue? Retro-gaming comes to life