Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Vista Services

GrimReaper
Bringer of Death

Member 880

Level 21.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 29, 2008, 03:27 AM #1 of 6
Vista Services

can you guys recommend some services that are pretty safe to disable and speed up vista's startup? thanks for any help.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Death To You!!!
RYU
Hoshi X Hayabusa

Member 173

Level 33.76

Mar 2006

Old Feb 29, 2008, 09:45 AM Local time: Feb 29, 2008, 05:45 PM #2 of 6
Windows Vista Services Explained

How ya doing, buddy?
GrimReaper
Bringer of Death

Member 880

Level 21.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 29, 2008, 03:36 PM #3 of 6
thanks! great list.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Death To You!!!
El Ray Fernando
Scholeski

Member 70

Level 26.54

Mar 2006

Old Mar 1, 2008, 12:08 PM Local time: Mar 1, 2008, 06:08 PM #4 of 6
Black Viper's Web Site is great; its got lots of tips and guides for both XP and Vista.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 1, 2008, 07:21 PM Local time: Mar 2, 2008, 01:21 AM #5 of 6
See this is the problem with sites like that: they are almost biased, and they are prone to misinformation.

For example, it calls all Diagnostic related services as "a collection of diagnostic tools that attempts to detect problems in memory, disk and files" when in fact its the service that checks online for potential causes on application crashes. And even if it was completely useless in XP, it is very smart in Vista and actually provided me with a lot of useful links during the half year I used it.
So if you want to save yourself a lot of googling, make sure you have Diagnostic Policy Service on auto start, since even at manual it won't work right (the other related services are not properly "flagged" to rely on this, and fail to wake it up manually should the need arise).

I wouldn't recommend fucking with Vista services, unless you specifically know what you are turning on/off (say Superfetch). You can gimp every actual improvement out of it, and turn a lot of basic functions nonworking. If you want it to be small, use XP, otherwise just buy another gig of memory....

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by evilboris; Mar 1, 2008 at 07:26 PM.
GrimReaper
Bringer of Death

Member 880

Level 21.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 1, 2008, 08:44 PM #6 of 6
thanks for the suggestion evilboris, i really didn't turn off too many services unless i knew it was pretty safe to do. i don't know if this is service related or not but it takes forever for me to connect to a wirless network on startup. i don't know if it's the network and sharing center that's slow to start or what. is there anything that can be done to speed it up?

Most amazing jew boots
Death To You!!!

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Vista Services