Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[Album] Warner Bros Apologizes For "300" Score

Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 11:54 AM #1 of 8
Warner Bros Apologizes For "300" Score

From the Offical 300 DVD website, posted on 7/31:

Warner Bros. Pictures acknowledges and regrets that a number of the music cues for the score of "300" were, without our knowledge or participation, derived from music composed by Academy Award winning composer Elliot Goldenthal for the motion picture "Titus." Warner Bros. Pictures has great respect for Elliot, our longtime collaborator, and is pleased to have amicably resolved this matter.

This is the first time in recent memory in which anyone, let alone a studio, has made a public apology for a score that (obviously) followed too closely to its temptrack. While some are curious as to what 300 composer Tyler Bates has to say about this - the person who should be put in the hot seat is the director or producers, whom surely are the ones who asked Bates to follow Goldenthal's "Titus" so closely.

I talked to someone who worked with Goldenthal many times in the past, and they said he didn't especially care about the situation - however, "amicably resolved" makes it sound like there was some form of litigation threatened or followed through (and WB's statement is written like that was part of the out-of-court agreement).

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:17 PM #2 of 8
Hah, figures. I knew it sounded too similar to be coincidence. Never heard of any sort of public apology for something like this though... You'd figure they would keep this sorta thing shrouded in mystery.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
RainMan
DAMND

Member 19121

Level 28.96

Feb 2007

Old Aug 2, 2007, 12:33 PM Local time: Aug 2, 2007, 12:33 PM #3 of 8
Good. Perhaps this will give people incentive to try something new. I am sure Tyler Bates can'y be completely blamed for this. Musicians do what they are told. They are contracted and given complete instruction on what to work with.
Studios these days don't exactly go for writing new scores, because they believe that experimentation is more likely to result in failure. Therefore, anything that has 'come before' is fair game for being ripped off.

An apology isn't needed. Just allow something original to be written instead of taking the low road.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 05:58 PM #4 of 8
Can someone provide some samples from both OSTs? I'm just curious.

Even though copying which is quite a shameful act, I still I hope Tyler doesn't get banned from composing for Hollywood (which is probably unlikely anyways).

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]
orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 2, 2007, 06:26 PM #5 of 8
Nah, Bates isn't banned--he's actually on the rise in Hollywood, with the score to the third Resident Evil movie, remakes of Halloween and Day of the Dead, and a film adaptation of Watchmen in the pipeline.

As for Warner Bros.' apology, I can only say that I had a good chuckle at it. Somebody must have raised a stink about it outside of the usual messageboard posts, since Goldenthal himself reportedly didn't care. I can't think of any other time something like that has happened, save when Nino Rota's executors sued the makers of "Honey I Shrunk the Kids" for appropriating Amarcord.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dieharder
Banned

Member 23616

Level 3.62

Aug 2007

Old Aug 5, 2007, 05:59 PM #6 of 8
I can't wait to hear his halloween score.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Genthar
Lieutenant Colonel

Member 14155

Level 9.20

Oct 2006

Old Aug 7, 2007, 06:30 PM Local time: Aug 8, 2007, 12:30 AM #7 of 8
Now all wee need is for someone to notice that James Horner used parts of Star Trek II & III for Willow, Aliens and Titanic to name but a few

FELIPE NO
"Your friends are just your enemies in reverse" - Gary Busey
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old Aug 7, 2007, 06:58 PM Local time: Aug 7, 2007, 04:58 PM #8 of 8
It's a dark day when working on the third Resident Evil movie means you are considered to be "on the rise".

How ya doing, buddy?
and Brandy does her best to understand

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > [Album] Warner Bros Apologizes For "300" Score