Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:45 PM #3126 of 3592
Trouble is despite the Blue Ray's massive storage space, its a fragile format, to quote my boyfriend:

While multi disks isn't exactly a high point, its not that big of a deal at the same time. We had multi disks games in the past, and I rather have stable game disks as oppose to one Blue Ray that could snap any second. Past multi disks games had the same price, the only difference is a very minor inconvience of switching them. And please don't tell me it takes too much effort to switch some goddamn disks.
Haha, he said "catagory."

Anyway, my Bluray discs seem to be fine. Furthermore if you're too dumb to keep your discs in good condition and you're going to bitch and moan about it, you probably should not have a $600 machine or any discs at all.

Seriously, they're your goods and you're paying for them so take care of it. The fragility of a disc isn't that apparent until you use it as a coaster or start bending it. If you place it into the PS3, PS2, PSX, Xbox, 360, Gamecube, Wii, WHATEVER, and take it out and put it back into the PROVIDED case, then your disc will never break and it will never get scratched. When people are absentminded fools is when your shit starts to get scratched.

Discs have different thicknesses, get over it. Wii discs are pretty thin too and they're DVDs. Can your boyfriend's store not take Wii discs either?

You're fighting a losing battle, can't you just give up? You and your boyfriend can go and have angry I-hate-Bluray-and-HDTV sex over the shards of a broken Sony Bravia and just leave Gamingforce forever. (AKA drop your track.)

@Ultima
I was thinking of getting that before but is it an AC adapter or USB? Hopefully USB because I don't have any more AC plugs due to my 2 TVs, Surround Sound and 20 systems.
It also uses a normal outlet, and that's a good thing. Always.
Just get one of those 1 outlet to 3 outlet things and you're good. Or unplug one of your 20 consoles. Surely you don't use ALL of them at once.

Its a good buy though. I went downstairs and two of my controllers were full, the one I was playing Resistance with when I got home was in a weird mid-color change but by now it's surely 100%.

The one qualm I have is the controller goes into the slot, but you have to kind of fiddle around to get the charger's connector into the controller. I mean, maybe I'm putting it in at the wrong angle but you always know when its in because it clicks and the light turns orange if its not full.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by UltimaIchijouji; Jul 6, 2007 at 11:57 PM.
Kairi Li
Misuzu

Member 1088

Level 32.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 6, 2007, 11:56 PM Local time: Jul 6, 2007, 08:56 PM #3127 of 3592
And that helps the argument on the PRICE of the Blue Ray, how?

If I did decide to get Blue ray, of course I'll take good care of it. The point was we're paying alot for a extremly fragile format when all it offers is more disk space. Multi disks are cheaper to produce and buy, and will much less likely scratch.

Is it too much to ask for things to be affordable and more stable?

How ya doing, buddy?

{ :: ~ Air - the 1000th Summer ~ :: }

:: That sea went on forever, into the blue distance ::
* That road went on forever, continuing straight ahead *

~ : Summer comes again, shining silver : ~
: When I close my eyes, suddenly I can see that day's blue sky :
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:18 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2007, 12:18 AM #3128 of 3592
The real problem Sony is likely to face is that the sales of digital direct media from resources like AppleTV and TiVo are looking likely to eclipse the market need of a higher density optical disk format. High definition downloads of movies are much cheaper and faster for the consumer. BluRay and HDDVD discs are still an expensive format (and that's why the movies cost $20-30 instead of the typical $10-20 for regular DVD titles).

So, unless Sony can release a PS3 at somewhere around half the current price (with or without a BluRay player), the consumer demand for PS3's with BluRay is never going to be great enough to justify the added cost to what everyone still views as ultimately a video gaming system.

You can ride the coattails of "console exclusive" titles, but unless the PS3's sales pick up, you're likely to see most of the 3rd party titles go multiplatform... and I don't know if Ratchet and Clank is a good enough reason to buy a PS3.

How ya doing, buddy?
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:19 AM #3129 of 3592
And that helps the argument on the PRICE of the Blue Ray, how?

If I did decide to get Blue ray, of course I'll take good care of it. The point was we're paying alot for a extremly fragile format when all it offers is more disk space. Multi disks are cheaper to produce and buy, and will much less likely scratch.

Is it too much to ask for things to be affordable and more stable?
Technology is technology. Blu-ray games are $60 a pop. Its only $10 more for more space and newer technology. However fragile it is, the average consumer does not know that. Go complain about how Xbox 360 games are $10 more for regular DVDs, because thats the extortion you're looking for. It's purely just for money's sake. At least Blu-ray actually does cost more to produce.

Originally Posted by Guru
So, unless Sony can release a PS3 at somewhere around half the current price (with or without a BluRay player), the consumer demand for BluRay is never going to be great enough to justify the cost.
A PS3 without Blu-ray isn't a PS3, since PS3 games kind of require it. There's no real way to make PS3s cheaper right now as 1) Sony is already producing them at a loss and 2) Newer technology is more expensive. As the parts get older, it will become cheaper to produce because the methods of production will be better-known and improved upon.

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by UltimaIchijouji; Jul 7, 2007 at 12:22 AM.
Guru

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:26 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2007, 12:26 AM #3130 of 3592
A PS3 without Blu-ray isn't a PS3, since PS3 games kind of require it. There's no real way to make PS3s cheaper right now as 1) Sony is already producing them at a loss and 2) Newer technology is more expensive. As the parts get older, it will become cheaper to produce because the methods of production will be better-known and improved upon.
Yeah, I kinda figured, but wasn't entirely sure. Basically, Sony shot themselves in the foot. Again (betamax, minidisc).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
UltimaIchijouji
Gold Chocobo

Member 789

Level 28.86

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:29 AM #3131 of 3592
Yeah, I kinda figured, but wasn't entirely sure. Basically, Sony shot themselves in the foot. Again (betamax, minidisc).
I wouldn't say that. Blu-ray IS catching on, as it has a pretty large corporate following. For example, once Apple ships Blu-ray drives in its computers it will do well, and Blockbuster only carrying Blu-ray is doing a lot for it right now.

Betamax was a complete failure, but while Minidisc wasn't too large in America, it was and still is VERY popular in Japan. My friend has an MD player and when I went there, my host family had an MD player in their car. A lot of Sony's products just aren't feasible to the US market, but do well in its native market.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:30 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2007, 12:30 AM #3132 of 3592
The real problem Sony is likely to face is that the sales of digital direct media from resources like AppleTV and TiVo are looking likely to eclipse the market need of a higher density optical disk format. High definition downloads of movies are much cheaper and faster for the consumer. BluRay and HDDVD discs are still an expensive format (and that's why the movies cost $20-30 instead of the typical $10-20 for regular DVD titles).
Digitally distributed HD content is neither cheaper nor faster, since a 5+ GB file will take a very long time to download on any typical internet connection, and prices for HD content seem very similar to store-bought movies.

Also, removing the Blu-ray drive from the PS3 would only save around $100 at this point, and would be an impossible feat since all PS3 games are on Blu-ray discs. Even if they could, I don't see the point in removing it since the Blu-ray playback is the main advantage the PS3 has for its price. If people won't spend $600 for a Blu-ray PS3, they sure wouldn't pay $500 for a Blu-ray-less one. Not to mention it seems that the previous $500 (20GB) PS3 wasn't even a popular option.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2007, 12:40 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2007, 12:40 AM #3133 of 3592
I will say this about the Blu-Ray discs and their capacity for damage.

I've seen a lot of nasty discs get traded in to my store, but the PS3 games that've come in have been as good and clean as new. The technology used to read discs is far more stable now than it was in the early days of the PS2, Xbox, and Gamecube.

I think BR discs' lack of capacity for damage is offset by the increase in efficient hardware used to read those discs -- namely, the PS3 itself and BR players alike.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Jurassic Park Chocolate Raptor
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2007, 02:12 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2007, 01:12 AM #3134 of 3592
BR durability has nothing to do with the hardware playing back the disc content. The stand alone players and PS3 alike have nothing to do with how little damaged a BR disc gets.

The BR discs have a clear polymer coating called Durabis that make them far more scratch resistant than your average optical disc media.

Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 7, 2007, 02:26 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2007, 08:26 AM #3135 of 3592
You should be okay with Blu-Ray discs as long as you're not a complete retard, I guess. I mean, it's not like they break when you touch them or let them fall on the floor or something like that.

FELIPE NO
Guru

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2007, 03:13 AM Local time: Jul 7, 2007, 03:13 AM #3136 of 3592
Digitally distributed HD content is neither cheaper nor faster, since a 5+ GB file will take a very long time to download on any typical internet connection, and prices for HD content seem very similar to store-bought movies.
With current mediums available. It'd really only take the support of your local cable provider to be able to deliver HD content almost instantly. Certainly faster than it takes to drive to the store and buy a movie.

Quote:
Also, removing the Blu-ray drive from the PS3 would only save around $100 at this point, and would be an impossible feat since all PS3 games are on Blu-ray discs. Even if they could, I don't see the point in removing it since the Blu-ray playback is the main advantage the PS3 has for its price. If people won't spend $600 for a Blu-ray PS3, they sure wouldn't pay $500 for a Blu-ray-less one. Not to mention it seems that the previous $500 (20GB) PS3 wasn't even a popular option.
Yeah. Ultima just said this, in a lot less words. I didn't realize that all PS3 games had to be made on BluRay discs.

No matter how it's justified though, it all still adds up to the consumer seeing a product that costs a fairly large amount of money, that supports a movie medium that also costs a fairly large amount of money. And these things are all bad for consumers, and therefore, bad for Sony.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 7, 2007, 08:45 AM #3137 of 3592
I know ManshaftArmada basically delivered the final blow to the Blu-Ray durability thing, but I want to add this. A normal DVD would NOT have made it past test 1.

YouTube Video

Last edited by Slayer X; Jul 7, 2007 at 08:50 AM.
eprox1
The Year 20XX

Member 1977

Level 20.96

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:09 PM Local time: Jul 10, 2007, 12:09 PM #3138 of 3592
DUN DUN DUUUUUUN.

First Killzone 2 ingame screen -
Spoiler:
Besides the UGLY ass shadow, paint me fairly impressed. It's no E3 teaser from two years ago, but I'm not really gonna say anything about this game until I see some video :/.

Most amazing jew boots
Old Jul 10, 2007, 12:47 PM #3139 of 3592
pixel shadow is very pixel-ish.

FatsDomino
I'm just informing you

Member 11

Level 61.64

Feb 2006

Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2007, 01:07 PM #3140 of 3592
and some textures are not that great :\ but the character look nice. so I,ll way for a video too before judging

How ya doing, buddy?
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2007, 01:11 PM Local time: Jul 10, 2007, 08:11 PM #3141 of 3592
All you can tell from the picture is that the lighting is gonna be insane. Can't wait to see a video.

Megalith
24-bit/48kHz

Member 23132

Level 28.40

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:07 PM 1 #3142 of 3592
Well, the great thing about Blu-ray is that you don't have to damage them on purpose, they do it all on their own.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=857067

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2007, 04:34 PM Local time: Jul 10, 2007, 11:34 PM #3143 of 3592
Yeah, and it affected a limited number of discs from a single movie release (The Prestige). It even says so in the thread you linked to.

BUT CLEARLY BLU-RAY IS ROTTEN TO THE CORE!

Are you even Megalith.

FELIPE NO
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jul 10, 2007, 10:32 PM #3144 of 3592
It's been proven as a myth in multiple forum boards and rumour-busters like Kotaku that it's jsut a bunch of tards who left the discs in the sun and the dust caked onto the disc. There's no conspiracey, it's just idiacy.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Kuhazan
Chocobo

Member 2170

Level 11.38

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 01:29 AM #3145 of 3592
blu-ray will probably just encourage game developers to leave "worthless" content on the disc and not clean up after themselves.... prepare to buy a cheat device to unlock caned content

Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 04:09 AM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 11:09 AM #3146 of 3592
Gameplay-Trailer online: http://www.gamevideos.com/video/id/12998

large screenshots:

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Aardark; Jul 11, 2007 at 04:29 AM.
Solis
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 559

Level 20.83

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 04:37 AM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 04:37 AM #3147 of 3592
I have to say, Killzone 2 looks very nice. Yes yes, not "CGI E3 2005 trailer quality", but still fairly good. Certainly a HUGE step up from the first Killzone, which I thought had some enjoyable gameplay which was horribly marred by technical limitations. Luckly, Killzone 2 seems to eliminate almost all the issues I had with the first Killzone: the framerate looked smooth, no random graphical anomalies, and the environments don't seem so barren this time around. Looking forward to seeing the full-length gameplay videos of this one.

Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 05:05 AM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 04:05 AM #3148 of 3592
blu-ray will probably just encourage game developers to leave "worthless" content on the disc and not clean up after themselves.... prepare to buy a cheat device to unlock caned content
More than likely, with the slow speed of the PS3's BR drive, there will just be data duplication all over the disc to cut down on load times. Oblivion already does this. It might well become common practice, who knows.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Cetra
oh shi-

Member 445

Level 24.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 05:40 AM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 02:40 AM #3149 of 3592
More than likely, with the slow speed of the PS3's BR drive, there will just be data duplication all over the disc to cut down on load times. Oblivion already does this. It might well become common practice, who knows.
One game from a company with a bad programming habit record does this and you expect it to become common practice, wut?

Also slow BR drive? Hope you realize only about 20% of the data on a DVD9 can be read at max speed and for reference roughly only 25% of the data on the Xbox 360 drive can be read faster than the PS3 blu-ray drive can transfer at. When reading the outer edge of the first layer the XBox DVD drive transfers at a lower rate than the PS3 blu-ray drive and the second layer of the DVD-9 just gets worse. The PS3 blu-ray drive transfers data roughly twice as fast as a 12x DVD drive reading from the second layer of a DVD9. Oh and the XBox 360 development standard requires the API data to be present in that first 25% which is generally most of it that space. Actual game data sits on parts of the disc that all read slower than the PS3 Blu-Ray drive does.

Also that Kilzone 2 trailer is impressive. I honestly didn't think they could get it that close to the E3 trailer from last year. This game also has a long way to go in development so further improvements all around should be expected.

Last edited by Cetra; Jul 11, 2007 at 05:43 AM.
Reactor online.
Sensors online.
Weapons online.
All systems nominal.

Member 80

Level 56.91

Mar 2006

Old Jul 11, 2007, 10:47 AM Local time: Jul 11, 2007, 09:47 AM #3150 of 3592
I don't expect anything, I'm just throwing the idea out that instead of developers being lazy and not optimizing the code or leaving "worthless content" on the disc like my quoted friend there said, they might choose to double up in order to cut down on load times.

Way to over react and miss my point, though. :thumbsup:

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread