Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Breaking a Lease

Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 08:54 PM Local time: May 11, 2007, 06:54 PM #1 of 5
Breaking a Lease

How many people here have apartments? Off the top of your head, do you recall anything in your lease that mentions penalties for moving out early?
I'm moving into a place with my girlfriend in a few weeks. I've signed leases and dealt with landlords in the past so I'm not completely unaware, but the lease is a year long and neither of us are able live there for the entire lease period.

Basically we were under the impression it was a six-month lease and by the time we realized it wasn't it was too late to raise the issue. Anyway, are there general options that I have in this situation, or are policies specific to each landlord? I suppose subletting is an option but I'm a little foggy when it comes to that subject.....

WOOO!!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Guru
:wink wink:

Member 85

Level 27.73

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 09:08 PM Local time: May 11, 2007, 09:08 PM #2 of 5
Generally there is a penalty for breaking your lease, since it's a legally binding contract. However, it's never usually as much as having to pay rent for the remainder of your term, so it's the lesser evil compared to simply paying for an apartment you're not living in.

You could sublease the apartment to potentially avoid having to pay anything extra, but that requires you finding someone that wants an apartment to stay in for only 6 months. If you're a college student, it's usually not a hard thing to do.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
<@a_lurker> I like zeal better than guru.
<@a_lurker> There, I said it, I'm not taking it back.
Cellius
Systematic

Member 1343

Level 28.80

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 09:20 PM Local time: May 11, 2007, 07:20 PM #3 of 5
Yeah that is what I figured. What confuses me is that there's an explicit bullet point in the lease that goes over the terms for vacating the premises, whose only stipulations are that notice is given 60 days in advance and that rent for the last month is paid with that notice. Since I'm not that well-versed in renting/landlord/lease lingo, I wonder if that's acceptable grounds for leaving early?

Most amazing jew boots
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 10:44 PM #4 of 5
Usually the 60 days notice is after your one year is up. I don't have my lease in front of me, but I think the penalty is usually a month or two's rent; it's still cheaper than paying the full amount on your lease.

I agree with the sublet idea, although you have to do it on the sly. Leases usually contain a clause prohibiting subletting.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
BlueMikey
TREAT?!?

Member 12

Level 35.70

Feb 2006

Old May 11, 2007, 11:56 PM Local time: May 11, 2007, 09:56 PM #5 of 5
At the first apartment I lived in, I wasn't aware of that rule. They wouldn't let me break my lease because I didn't tell them within 30 days of it ending that I wouldn't want to renew. They forced me to pay a single month's rent (which is, of course, significantly higher than the month-to-month rent in a lease).

You could sublease the apartment to potentially avoid having to pay anything extra, but that requires you finding someone that wants an apartment to stay in for only 6 months. If you're a college student, it's usually not a hard thing to do.
Leases in many states also stipulate that you can't sublease it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
and Brandy does her best to understand

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Breaking a Lease