Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

The Linux thread

Yume
New Born.

Member 1395

Level 11.82

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2007, 04:17 PM Local time: Mar 15, 2007, 10:17 PM #26 of 30
My first time using Linux was through Fedora 6 at my university. First, I had no clue what I was doing but the GUI is simple and the help notes are great. This prompted me to install Fedora 6 on my extremely (almost decaying) laptop and it works very well.

Though it is still a battle to get the network card working correctly, my main reason for wanting to learn how to use an Linux OS was to use security tools at work and so far it is proofing quite the pay off.

I've heard good things about Ubuntu and might give that a whirl sometime doing the summer when I'm on vacation.

How ya doing, buddy?
Arainach
Sensors indicate an Ancient Civilization

Member 1200

Level 26.94

Mar 2006

Old Mar 15, 2007, 05:05 PM #27 of 30
After a month of running only Ubuntu on my Laptop, I've realized two things:

(1) I remember why I love Linux so much
(2) I remember why I hate GNOME so much.

Time to install KDE.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
BurningRanger
...was there

Member 4377

Level 19.38

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2007, 10:57 AM #28 of 30
I've been dual-booting K/ubuntu and WinXP for about a year and a half now. I think I may end up giving up on Linux for a while... my computer is too slow to run Kubuntu well, and I haaaaaate Gnome.

It's a shame. I'd really like to switch all the way over to Linux, but I can't do it until I have a new computer. Oh well.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Pokemon Diamond: 1547 1670 1982
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:15 AM #29 of 30
I've been meaning to grab a spare box that I can dump a distro of Linux on to play with. Its been so long...the last distro that I used was LinuxPPC back in 2000.

I've been working with BSD style unicies for so long since then, it might take me a bit to get used to the Sys V style of Linux.

I was speaking idiomatically.
---
LiquidAcid
Chocorific

Member 6745

Level 38.97

May 2006

Old Mar 20, 2007, 11:48 AM Local time: Mar 20, 2007, 05:48 PM #30 of 30
I've been dual-booting K/ubuntu and WinXP for about a year and a half now. I think I may end up giving up on Linux for a while... my computer is too slow to run Kubuntu well, and I haaaaaate Gnome.

It's a shame. I'd really like to switch all the way over to Linux, but I can't do it until I have a new computer. Oh well.
Why don't you try some other desktop environments, like xfce, blackbox, fluxbox - all of them pretty lightweight but you can always install some gnome/kde stuff.

I'm currently in love with xfce4, but still using the gnome file-roller application for archive browsing (I also use the xfce application xarchiver, which is also cool).

The only things that won't work properly (on my system):
- getting info from hardware sensors (I'd really like to know how to do this - but it doesn't seem to be an ACPI nor a SMBIOS problem)
- suspend to RAM / suspend to disk (s2r sometimes works, but often it results in a kernel panic on bootup - gonna have to debug this...)

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by LiquidAcid; Mar 20, 2007 at 11:52 AM.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > The Linux thread