Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Jan 28, 2007, 05:36 AM Local time: Jan 28, 2007, 01:36 PM #2676 of 3592
So I was trying out PS2 games on the PS3 (with firmware 1.50) and shockingly FFXII looks like crap on a Bravia. Granted, it's a big TV, but the scaler is said to be really good, so I don't get what the fuck. For such an expensive TV, you'd think smaller resolution image wouldn't look like a dog puked out something digital.

Well sure, it's not actually as bad as I feared, and I can imagine PS2 games look much worse on some crappier TVs, but it does not bode well what with pretty much all manufacturers having moved to LCDs and other flat TVs.

It kept bothering me how much of it was the PS3's fault and how much it's the LCD, so I hooked up a PS2 with component and sure enough it looked awful as well. Actually slightly better, but I wouldn't want to play my old games on an LCD if this is what an uber leet TV like Bravia produces.

I came home and played the game on my 29" Trinitron and sure enough the picture was sharp and clear as ever. The anti-alias edges were no longer bigger than the characters' heads and you could see how sharp and detailed the textures were. The game looked like N64 graphics at times on the Bravia.

I would love to see what it looks like on a regular TV through a PS3, though, and how different it would look on a smaller Bravia, whether it would be sharper and clearer, or simply the same digital-blurry crap, only smaller. Either way I am terrified and depressed about the notion that new expensive TVs will make your old games and DVDs look like shit (as opposed to at least as good as before, while many dream of improvements) and that you absolutely need HD image to get anything out of them in the first place.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Elixir
Banned

Member 54

Level 45.72

Mar 2006

Old Jan 28, 2007, 06:07 AM Local time: Jan 29, 2007, 12:07 AM #2677 of 3592
If you truly meant this to be serious bet, you'd lose this time around. This machine is going for another demographic entirely, while throwing bits and pieces at the one that put the Playstation where it is today. A massive price drop (say, $100 for 20GB and 60GB) would probably improve sales, but increase losses per console.
If they don't quickly move their launch price in PAL territories, Sony will fail. Hype really isn't all that strong.

I'm sorry but I already have a Dreamcast.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 28, 2007, 09:15 PM #2678 of 3592
Elixir: People said the same things about the PS2 when it launched against the DC. So I wouldn't be so auick to start counting a TKO quite yet. The expansive chess game of the three players have only begun, and if you think that a company as large as Sony doesn't know what they're doing then you need to take a look at the bigger picture of what the PS3 is for the price, something that so few people are capable of doing. Secondly Sony is maintaining many of their developer relations and therefore the PS3 library is looking like it's going to be as large and as diverse as the PS2 one was. Sure developers are producing for multi-platform now, but they're not cutting the PS3 off and the same things happened between developers and the PS2 when it launched.

And as a reply to a statement you made in another thread, ZOE3 is already in the works and there has already been leaked screens featured in multiple magazines confirming the game.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jan 28, 2007, 09:51 PM #2679 of 3592
If they don't quickly move their launch price in PAL territories, Sony will fail. Hype really isn't all that strong.

I'm sorry but I already have a Dreamcast.
That's pretty much a given. Sony's got a good bit of the PS2 userbase waiting for the PS3's price to drop to sane levels. The ball's in their court, and it's up to them whether they want sales or some high priced paperweight.

The newer Bravias, aren't really all that good with SD material. Absolutely gorgeous with HD material, PC input, but anything other than that looks atrocious. LCDs in general aren't very good at doing SD, but with a good scaler that can be overcome.

BTW, Slayer, don't fuck with my heart man. Links to ZOE3 sexiness please. If there's a game that'll get me to buy a console this expensive, it'd probably be ZOE.

FELIPE NO

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 28, 2007, 10:10 PM #2680 of 3592
Here's what I can find right now.

http://kotaku.com/gaming/konami/zone...n-3-204421.php

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/unions...8&union_id=486

Double Post:
If I play PS2 games that have 720P support on my PS3 set to 720P, will it activate the 720P support of the game automatically or do I have to engage it manually just as though I were playing it on a PS2?

Secondly does any one know what the Cross Color Reduction Filter does exactly?

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Slayer X; Jan 28, 2007 at 10:48 PM.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jan 28, 2007, 11:00 PM #2681 of 3592
there's no ps2 game that support 720p, at least not that I know of... there's some that are in 480p but really not much...

and the cross color reduction filter, is to reduce the color noise when using the composite or the s-video cable. So if you're using component or hdmi turn it off you don't need it.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:54 AM #2682 of 3592
It must have been 480P that I was thinking of. Still, do I need to do it manually or does the PS3 automatically set it to 480P for me?

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Inhert

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2007, 12:56 AM #2683 of 3592
I can't say for sure, but I heard that with the new firmware, all ps2 game play automatically in 480p mode, but I'm not sure about that...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Sweeper
Carob Nut

Member 735

Level 5.97

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:40 AM #2684 of 3592
even in 480p the graphics from a ps2 game on the ps3 is still pretty bad Soooo pixelated and jaggy. Better off playing it on a ps2 if you have one..

Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2007, 01:47 AM #2685 of 3592
Ummm... do you have a PS3? The firmware 1.5 basically fixed all of that and the upscaleing issue. I've compared games on the PS2 & 3 and other then it being a bit smoother on my PS3 due to the 480P and HDMI they praticalcy look the same now. The only thing I use my PS2 for is Guitar Hero anymore, however once the 360 version comes out I won't be using it for even that anymore.

LivingDreams
Chocobo

Member 520

Level 14.17

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2007, 06:14 PM #2686 of 3592
I've noticed how the new update has fixed the jaggy issue with ps2 games, but since I dont have a ps2 and I've been playing my ps2 games on the ps3 for so long with the jaggies that I cant tell if even the regular jaggies that were there is from the ps3 or is it supposed to be there. Can any one confirm this that still has a ps2? I'm playing KH2 at the moment, I just wanna make sure this update did fix it 100%. It looks fixed to me but yea I still wanna make sure.

How ya doing, buddy?
Eat glass.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2007, 06:21 PM #2687 of 3592
Everything looks fine to me, then only things that look bad on the PS3 to me are the same things that look bad playing the game right on a PS2... so far at least.

FELIPE NO
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2007, 08:19 PM Local time: Jan 29, 2007, 08:19 PM #2688 of 3592
Had a bit of a problem with my PS3 tonight. I had FF12 in there and started it up, and for some odd reason, the screen shifted to the left a good inch and a half. Anyone else have this problem? After a few soft resets (exiting the game, trying again) it corrected itself.

How ya doing, buddy?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Sweeper
Carob Nut

Member 735

Level 5.97

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2007, 08:32 PM #2689 of 3592
yep i downloaded the firmware 1.5 yesterday but my ps2 games are still pretty jaggy looking. I tried out ffX and its pretty bad. I'm using an hdmi cable already so i dunno whats going on. Does't really bother me anyways since i can still use my ps2 for ps2 games.

oh btw anyone know if theres a difference between a ps3 blue ray dvd player and say a regular $1000+ toshiba blueray dvd player (brand doesn't matter)
but i'm just wondering since ps3 costs less and it still plays blue ray dvds

Inhert

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2007, 08:54 PM #2690 of 3592
yeah southjag it happen to me in Zoe2 and I just exit the game and reload it and it was fine...

I have a read problem with sound too like in Dirge of cerberus all voices in cut-scene were double and there were like a "buzz" sound, but again I exit and reloaded the game and it was gone...

and sweeper: you know that the last firmware solve the with "pixel flipping" and the jaggy problem. Now all game are exactly like they were on the ps2. the only thing that people still not understand is that there almost no game that support 480p resolution so even with that problem solved, if you play a game on a big HDTV it will sure be not as beautiful as it suppose to be >.> just open photoshop and to enlarge a little picture it almost the same thing...

till sony "add" a proper scaler to the ps3, ps1 and ps2 game will still not look right on a big HDTV ...

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2007, 09:38 PM #2691 of 3592
yep i downloaded the firmware 1.5 yesterday but my ps2 games are still pretty jaggy looking. I tried out ffX and its pretty bad. I'm using an hdmi cable already so i dunno whats going on. Does't really bother me anyways since i can still use my ps2 for ps2 games.

oh btw anyone know if theres a difference between a ps3 blue ray dvd player and say a regular $1000+ toshiba blueray dvd player (brand doesn't matter)
but i'm just wondering since ps3 costs less and it still plays blue ray dvds
From all reports, the PS3 is actually one of the best BR players around. This is surprising, since most were expecting it to deliver playback similar to that of the PS2's lackluster DVD player.

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Inhert

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2007, 10:13 PM #2692 of 3592
yep in the EGM magazine they compared the HD-DVD player of the 360 and the blu-ray from the ps3. They said that the hd-dvd player for the 360 was one of the worst but it's an ok player for just 200$ and the ps3 is almost as good as a stand alone unit and it cost less money...

the thing that can go in favor of blu-ray is that there will probably be more ps3 sold and faster than most blu-ray stand alone player and hd-dvd. There's more people interested in buying a ps3 than a hd-dvd player. Sure most people don't buy it for the blu-ray player, but it is still there and with more people having the technology to use it, I think blu-ray could have an advance over hd-dvd...

note that I never said in this post that blu-ray or hd-dvd is better than the other....

Last edited by Inhert; Jan 29, 2007 at 10:15 PM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 29, 2007, 11:02 PM #2693 of 3592
Basically Sony is counting on the PS3 to be a Trojan Hourse for the Blu-Ray format. Hey it worked in Japan with DVD in the PS2 where it was only like 15% penetration before the PS2 came along, who's to say that it won't work this time too.

UPDATE:
I just got back from playing RR7 with my Logitech PS2 Driving Force wheel and that game has some of the sweetest ForceFeedback effects that I've ever felt through that wheel since Burnout 3. It's going to take some time for me to get as good as I am with the controller, but man what a rush. Each type of road has a totally different feel to it and when you hit nitrous it feels like the wheel is going to fall apart in your hands at level 3.

Last edited by Slayer X; Jan 29, 2007 at 11:56 PM.
Sweeper
Carob Nut

Member 735

Level 5.97

Mar 2006

Old Jan 30, 2007, 01:15 AM #2694 of 3592
Quote:
you know that the last firmware solve the with "pixel flipping" and the jaggy problem. Now all game are exactly like they were on the ps2. the only thing that people still not understand is that there almost no game that support 480p resolution so even with that problem solved, if you play a game on a big HDTV it will sure be not as beautiful as it suppose to be >.> just open photoshop and to enlarge a little picture it almost the same thing..
ic maybe thats why...

Has anyone tried the Gran turismo HD demo yet? The gameplay imo is pretty much the same as the past version but the replays... total insane realism!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 30, 2007, 01:27 AM #2695 of 3592
Yeah the replays look freak'n insane, the MotorStorm demo is similar when the camera is pulled a bit of a ways back, it almost looks real. The dude in the car of GTHD is creepy realisitc too. Don't forget that in 5 years that everything we're seeing now will look like crap by then, and that's on the same system I'm talking too. That thought makes me excited & scared of what's to come, lol.

Tomorrow I'm try'n GTHD with my Steering Wheel... can't wait ^^

FELIPE NO
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 12:01 AM #2696 of 3592
A bit back, I had split the partitions on my 20gb drive in half, as was required to install Linux on the PS3. But, since at the moment I no longer have interest in installing Linux, I was wondering if there was a way to get those 10gb back without formatting the drive, and losing all the downloaded games and videos I have (it would be a pain to redownload them all). I want to free up the 10gb so I can install FFXI on the PS3.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 10:54 AM #2697 of 3592
hook her up to a computer, backup the data you want onto your PC's HDD, format the PS3 HDD and then put the files back onto the PS3 HDD. I know you can back-up saves for sure, anything else isn't as big of a deal I don't think. The demos I dought you can back-up, I don't know if I'd want to try.

Iwata
Jaysis

Member 205

Level 22.32

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 09:51 PM #2698 of 3592
I recently caved in and bought a 60 gig PS3 today and so i was wondering what games should i get besides resistance which i've already picked up. I'm currently updating my system and wondered if any of you frequently play online with the PS3 and is the live system as stable as the 360 or no?

I'm loving the sleek interface but kinda dismayed at how slow it is taking to update. I have my wireless set up on it and so far the update has been updating for the past 10 minutes and is only at 45%. I know it isn't my connection as i get super fast speed on the same wireless on my 360, so is the update itself just huge in size?

Most amazing jew boots
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Jan 31, 2007, 11:09 PM #2699 of 3592
The PSN right now is a bit too slow for ideal use, however what I do when updating is download the update from the PlayStation site and then install it, it's much faster. As for size it's about 100MB, so it's pretty big.

As for games I'd check out RidgeRacer 7 (best since RR64), Full Auto 2, Fight Night 3, Genji, Call of Duty 3 all a fair rent. You might not like them all, but it's worth checking out seeing how not much is coming till towards the end of Feburary.

LivingDreams
Chocobo

Member 520

Level 14.17

Mar 2006

Old Feb 1, 2007, 02:10 AM #2700 of 3592
I recently caved in and bought a 60 gig PS3 today and so i was wondering what games should i get besides resistance which i've already picked up. I'm currently updating my system and wondered if any of you frequently play online with the PS3 and is the live system as stable as the 360 or no?

I'm loving the sleek interface but kinda dismayed at how slow it is taking to update. I have my wireless set up on it and so far the update has been updating for the past 10 minutes and is only at 45%. I know it isn't my connection as i get super fast speed on the same wireless on my 360, so is the update itself just huge in size?
Yes downloading the update or downloading a game demo takes really long, I hope they fix it since a lot of people I know are complaining about it.

Eat glass.
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread