Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

View Poll Results: What is your perference?
Flash-movies are fine with me 3 7.14%
I demand HDTV quality 16 38.10%
It does not matter, as long as I get to watch the movie for free 23 54.76%
Voters: 42. You may not vote on this poll

Downloading age of movies are over

gaming
River Chocobo

Member 360

Level 25.07

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 06:59 AM #1 of 17
Downloading age of movies are over

Nowadays, more streaming sites are popping up in all kind of types. From low-quality flash-files to HDTV-quality files.
What do you prefer? High-quality, low-quality or it does not matter?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Thanks to Fjordor for the funny image!
map car man words telling me to do things
find animals!

Member 16

Level 47.67

Feb 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 07:02 AM Local time: Dec 26, 2006, 03:02 PM #2 of 17
My speeds are never fast enough for direct streaming without excessive preloading, so even with most "streams" I still prefer to download to harddrive first before watching.

And I don't want my videos in uber HD-quality, but I really don't like the youtube resolutions either. It's good for videos where you don't need to see details.. or anything for that matter, but then why are you watching a video in the first place?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Twikite

Member 331

Level 5.97

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 07:18 AM Local time: Dec 26, 2006, 06:18 AM #3 of 17
I have no problem with YouTube or Google Video when I'm just looking for a quick entertainment fix. I've got a number of clips from both those sources saved to my iPod.

But when dealing with my favorite tv shows, or serious-type movies, I'd rather watch a minimally compressed video in full-resolution, or the DVD.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Balcony Heckler
The Comedy Art of Insult

Member 13861

Level 15.34

Oct 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 07:39 AM Local time: Dec 26, 2006, 10:09 AM #4 of 17
it really depends on the show/movie of what I get. if it's something like my favorite old TV shows like Married with Children, or a movie that was so high ranking with me like the LOTR trilogy, then I have to have it on DVD. lesser stuff, I turn to limewire, it's better free

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

You know what? you just might be full enough of shit to apply for congress
Chibi Neko
The hell am I doing here?

Member 922

Level 27.65

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 08:36 AM Local time: Dec 26, 2006, 10:06 AM #5 of 17
I don't really download movies that often, but when it comes to certain TV shows, I don't really care about the quality, as long as I can see it, but if I want to have the shows or movies to put on a DVD, then yes, I would like a high-quality version.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 09:04 AM #6 of 17
This is like my anime preference, whether I minded it in rmvb or avi... Personally, I don't care how the hell it looks. As long as I could watch it, and I could understand what they're saying, that's all that matters to me.

How ya doing, buddy?
Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 09:18 AM Local time: Dec 26, 2006, 03:18 PM #7 of 17
When it comes to a quick fix I go for Flash videos, but when it comes to watching TV shows then I prefer it to be in good quality, doesn't have to be HD quality, but it has to be good enough so that I see what is going on and can hear what is being said.

FELIPE NO
nazpyro
Pacman

Member 41

Level 38.30

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 09:26 AM Local time: Dec 26, 2006, 07:26 AM #8 of 17
I was never into downloading movies, whether it be some cam/telesync thing or some DVD-ripped AVI file. I was and still am more interested in DVD images, and I used to download more of them from newsgroups and torrents. But for movies, I'd rather just copy a DVD.

I do download TV shows and anime very frequently though, and those should be in "nice-quality" viewable.

Flash Video is really just for a quick entertainment fix. I'm not big on those "viral videos" nor seek anything new myself. I just check out whatever links my friends send me and stuff.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
waka waka

sanemonkey • twitter • last.fm • gfw • backlog • youtube • xbox
Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 09:51 AM Local time: Dec 26, 2006, 08:51 AM #9 of 17
Depends on what I want to be looking at. If I'm just looking for select clips or pieces of shows that friends have recommended, quality almost never matters to me, but if I'm watching an entire series or a whole movie, I prefer to see everything in at least DivX-quality. DixV compression of a typical movie to 700MB is usually good enough for me on any of my computer monitors, though seeing anything on a larger television screen I generally prefer something higher quality than that.

Franky Mikey
Bonkler

Member 6

Level 39.27

Feb 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 01:33 PM Local time: Dec 26, 2006, 08:33 PM #10 of 17
I have noticed this trend, and as far I'm concerned, it really sucks. It sucks because I like to watch my videos in fullscreen mode and with decent sound quality, especially when it's piano music (details are the main purpose of having a video there).

I can do that with the stuff I buy, but what about unreleased/unavailable material? Because that's most of the stuff I downoload, as far as movies are concerned. So yeah, I'll keep complaining even if I'm getting it for free. I'd rather pay and get decent quality, but I can't.

For normal movies/anime, I don't mind. Well, YouTube is a bit (quite) small, but Dailymotion is perfect.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

[ recordings |videos| blog ]
[ 18:14:09 ] [ +Garr ] Setting up form unreal troanmetn
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Dec 26, 2006, 01:51 PM Local time: Dec 26, 2006, 11:51 AM #11 of 17
I usually can't stream any HD, so I just end up downloading it. I don't mind the wait, since I'm multitasking with other things as well. I can't stand myself watching some youtube links of anime. Downloading for the win.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

- What we all do best -
Erisu Kimu
Stealth Assassin

Member 8250

Level 15.02

Jun 2006

Old Dec 28, 2006, 11:50 AM #12 of 17
Streaming is cool, but the buffering can be a pain, especially on a slow connection.

I prefer downloading, so that I can watch the movie off my hard drive. You get the quality and you get the control.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Spike
Good Chocobo

Member 642

Level 17.36

Mar 2006

Old Dec 28, 2006, 09:56 PM Local time: Dec 28, 2006, 07:56 PM #13 of 17
I prefer HD a lot. If done correctly, like most of the sites from apple.com/trailers, HD can be streamed really quickly. I've done 720p and 1080p trailers that load very quickly from apple's website and they're much better than small, standard-definition videos. It helps if you have Quicktime as it's more stable and you can control the slider while it's loading and it doesn't have an obvious buffering stage.

Granted these are trailers, but a 2 minute trailer being fully loaded in a few minutes suggests that a bigger file will be finished loading without too much downtime.

I was speaking idiomatically.
whinehurst
It's a Psudonym.

Member 9766

Level 14.57

Jul 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 12:15 AM #14 of 17
If I can plan far enough ahead, I always prefer downloading torrents, ect. for shows. The higher quality, in both video and sound, is hard to beat - specially for some high drama stuff like 24 or Lost.

Course, sometimes it's just easier to put up with the various pains of streaming (low quality, lame buffering, you know the rest) just to get the entertainment value without the wait required for downloading. Also, since I spend a good 4 hours as my work sitting in front of a computer with nothing to do, I'm forced to watch streaming. You don't loose too much on the streams, but compared to downloads, it's noticeable

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Proto
Random Idiot

Member 1377

Level 4.94

Mar 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 09:28 AM #15 of 17
I don't think it really matters, just as long as I'm going to watch that movie on my computer for free. Sure, I may be able to download the best HDTV quality, but I am just as satisfied with a low quality version, which also happens to be downloaded quicker, well I would think so.

FELIPE NO
Digital_Divider
because bastard operators from hell get all the ladies.

Member 8324

Level 6.27

Jun 2006

Old Dec 29, 2006, 11:33 PM #16 of 17
meh, I can deal with some compression. I watch Dattebayo's fansubbed bleach episodes every time they come out with a new one. I know they're compressed to hell and back, but I can deal because it still looks good.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
I am myself. You can't change me. I am who I am.
SonicEchidna
Victory is mine!

Member 93

Level 9.75

Mar 2006

Old Dec 30, 2006, 01:11 PM Local time: Dec 30, 2006, 06:11 PM #17 of 17
As long as the quality of the video os good enough for me to understand everything that is being said and is of a decent resolution, I'm fine with it.

I watch videos on YouTube and Google Video quite often, but if they aren't of good quality (for example mobile phone vids), then I don't tend to bother.

"Well, I'd love to stay and chat, but you're a total bitch."
- Stewie Griffin

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > Downloading age of movies are over