Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 12:41 PM #1926 of 3592
Originally Posted by immp
I think they forgot how shadows work though. The race track environment doesnt affect the lighting on the car =( Sure photorealistic mountains but I think I'd rather have shadows that are darkening the road you're driving on actually darken the car when it drives through them. It looks so weird. =/
That's a GT4 background. It's even more obvious if you see the Ferrari video they had eariler. The cars in this video are closer to completion than the track.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Cobalt Katze
This game will never come out.

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 01:04 PM Local time: Oct 22, 2006, 10:04 AM #1927 of 3592
I'm still not digging anything regarding GT:HD... It just seems like a cop out.

Work on GT5 (though I won't play it anyways), and release a 2-track demo on the PS3 network for those interested.

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 22, 2006, 01:32 PM #1928 of 3592
Two new screens for anyone looking for bluetooth headset/microphones/headphones or any other bluetooth device. That report that came up a few days ago mentioned this is where you register the controller, and from what I've heard, this is how all bluetooth compliant devices are when first used.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Quote:
- Kaz Hirai noted there are 10,000 dev kits seeded among developers now.
- The evidence we saw this week shows that the PS 3 games are looking good, even for first-generation games.
- By and large, the games I saw looked BETTER than Xbox 360 games.
- Resistance: Fall of Man: I've already said this title is the must-have on the PS 3. It looks better than any shooter on a console so far.
- Lair: Next to Resistance, this is the next big title I'm looking forward to on the PS 3. It isn't coming until 2007, but it looks fantastic.
Spoiler:

Source

Ridge Racer online:

Originally Posted by WatchImpress (last 3 images)
While travelling while by the fact that the selection button is pushed, introducing the scenery around with the point of view movement which used 6 axial detection system of the PS3 controller, it guided “Myst Falls”.

While playing by the fact that the selection button is pushed, the camera movement by 6 axial detection system becomes possible
Source

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 23, 2006 at 02:37 PM.
Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:30 PM #1929 of 3592
Not much to add today.

Here's a gameplay demo from Gamer's Day of Full Auto 2 for the PS3.
http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...14290&type=wmv

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2006, 04:47 PM #1930 of 3592
Just to clarify, those last 3 screens are shots from the track viewer that uses the Sixaxis to move around and enjoy the details of the track... or something. The other thing is some neat 4 player split-screen online mode.

Quote:
BIZ: When Sony says that the "basic features" of online are free of charge, what exactly does that mean?

PD: Really everything related to online that you can do is free—accessing the Internet, web browsing, communication (chat, text messaging, video chat), and online gaming. It's all free. Where the commerce comes into play is when consumers have an interest in downloading additional gaming content, whether it's in the form of microtransactions—like in Resistance if you want additional maps, levels, or in Gran Turismo, cars, parts, etc.—or downloadable games. We talked about two types of downloadable games that we'll charge for. Some of those were developed specifically for PS3 like Blast Factor or David Jaffe's Criminal Crackdown... and all of those will be available under $15. The third bucket is PS1 content, and these are games that initially you'll download to your PS3, slide them over to your PSP and they'll be playable on the PSP. In the very near future, probably just after holiday, they'll be an upgrade to the system that will allow emulation for downloadable PS1 games to be playable on the PS3. And those games will be less than ten bucks, and many of them probably under $5.
Source

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 23, 2006 at 04:59 PM.
Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2006, 08:21 PM Local time: Oct 23, 2006, 05:21 PM #1931 of 3592
Can I say again how amazing RR7 looks in those shots? I love the attention to detail. Can't say that about the bloody GT:HD environments we've seen... In comparison, they look downright lifeless imho.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 23, 2006, 09:21 PM #1932 of 3592
Well if you watch the Gran Turismo gameplay demonstration from friday they say in that that the game's character models still have a ways to go before completion. But to me they still look pretty good. Also in a previous interview they pointed out that car lighting and shadowing have yet to be applied to the game also. So it's hard to say how much better GT:HD will look, but it doesn't come out until summer '07 where RR7 is a launch title as you know and therefore is much more complete then GT. But to tell you the honest truth, the GT franchise has always just been a pretty tech demo for the PS consoles to me for I can't really get into sim games of any type. So I'm not too concerned with GT myself. However RR7 will be in my library probably even before I get the console, ^^;

UPDATE:
Here's some really sweet Resistance gameplay trailer (in succession). These are HD videos, SD versions can be found at www.gametrailers.com

Resistance Gameplay 1: http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...14331&type=wmv
Resistance Gameplay 2: http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...14329&type=wmv
Resistance Gameplay 3: http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...14327&type=wmv

I apologize if someone has already posted there, but...
PS3 console and peripherals interview: http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...14310&type=wmv
PS3 Console in-home demonstration: http://www.gametrailers.com/player.p...14316&type=wmv

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Last edited by Slayer X; Oct 24, 2006 at 09:29 AM.
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 03:18 PM #1933 of 3592
here's the new European TV spot for the ps3

in all its weirdness I found it quite beautiful XD really different than the NA one ^^

I was speaking idiomatically.

Last edited by Inhert; Oct 24, 2006 at 03:26 PM.
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 03:49 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2006, 10:49 PM #1934 of 3592
Originally Posted by Inhert
Wow, that was breathtaking ... until they showed Africa. -__-

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 04:45 PM #1935 of 3592

God, it's soooooooooo shiny.....

FELIPE NO
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:35 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2006, 09:35 PM #1936 of 3592
Haha, that commercial reminded me of the one for Black.

Except for the giraffes and zebras.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
espressivo
Chocobo

Member 1378

Level 12.76

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:42 PM #1937 of 3592
Originally Posted by Inhert
here's the new European TV spot for the ps3

in all its weirdness I found it quite beautiful XD really different than the NA one ^^
Is there a lower resolution version of that commercial? My computer cannot handle high res videos like that, it gets really choppy.

Most amazing jew boots
Inhert
The body may heal, the mind is not always so resilient.

Member 225

Level 35.92

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 09:53 PM #1938 of 3592
here for you ^^

I posted the HD version because that's almost all I look recently XD and I found this commercial more enjoyable with a better image quality ^^

btw anyone has the music of that commercial?

Last edited by Inhert; Oct 24, 2006 at 10:01 PM.
Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 10:06 PM Local time: Oct 24, 2006, 07:06 PM #1939 of 3592
Commercial didn't make much sense really other than what the voiceover was talking about.. Why did the lady's living room blow up?

http://www.playb3yond.com/ New content on this site though.

Only two videos up so far, but these honestly should be the promo ads. They communicate well the console's strengths in layman's terms.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Oct 24, 2006, 11:30 PM #1940 of 3592
5 minute playthrough of Sonic. Even though it's from an Xbox 360 forum, this is reportedly the PS3 version.

http://www.insidegamer.nl/xbox360/so...og/videos/1258

I really, really want this game to be good. The graphics are there as well as the action (love the way Sonic hops around rocks like in the Sonic CD intro), but it's not looking good for this game. There's noticable camera bugs and glitches. Also, you'd think Sega would have learned to write coherent english dialogue by now. "That Tornado!" and "I can wipe them out if I hit that pipe right!" just doesn't sound like normal english no matter how well acted the lines are (and they aren't; wtf at Silver's voice).

Sonic is dead to me if this fails. Enough is enough.

JackyBoy
A Cinnamon Role?

Member 2219

Level 13.14

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 12:53 AM #1941 of 3592
Simply wow. Those Play Beyond movies are insane. I love the professionalism of them. Very smartly done. I can't wait to watch the other 4 to be posted.

Here's to hoping the Sonic Team can do something special this time. The hi-res images look stunning. Surely that's proof of the quality to expect from the game. Right?

Most amazing jew boots

You're staring at me like I just asked you what the fucking square root of something.
Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 01:11 AM Local time: Oct 24, 2006, 10:11 PM #1942 of 3592
Gah... Looks like they still haven't fixed the terrible camera, Sonic's control looks extremely jerky. Like he's going too fast to get precision over where exactly you want him to go. It just looks extremely rough.

Visuals are really great in HD (though the animation gets pretty bad in some spots), but if the gameplay is shoddy...

Last edited by Cobalt Katze; Oct 25, 2006 at 01:15 AM.
Slayer X

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Oct 25, 2006, 08:42 AM #1943 of 3592
I have the demo of the game for the 360 and it's a LOT like the Sonic adventures, which are the only sonic games I like of the 3D series. The secret for anyone who plays the new Sonic for the 360/PS3 the secret is to always hold the stick forwards and tilt the stick as you go. If you use it normally the control is WAY too touchy.

As for the camera, it isn't great but it gets you by with very few headaches. Also youhave full camera control with the right analog stick.

UPDATE:
No real surprises here, however it does make for a good source to get all your hardware specs and descriptions on the PS3 from one place.
http://www.gamespot.com/features/612...&click=topslot

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Slayer X; Oct 25, 2006 at 09:40 AM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2006, 08:24 AM #1944 of 3592
I'll spoiler tag these when I get a few responses after this one.

Playstation Store and buddy list:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Here's a big nice jumble of PS3 info and images. It's been slow as of late, and will likely continue to be until people try out the demo kiosks and the launch date goes by. Anyway, first order of the day, here's the downloadable content available on the Playstation Network on day 1 in Japan. Hopefully this is the stuff that'll show up for the U.S. launch:

Quote:
DEMOS:

Blast Factor (Sony, Action)
flOw (Sony, Action) -the entire game is free iirc-
Lemmings 2 (Sony, Puzzle)
Kazuo (Sony, Puzzle)
Puzzle (Sony, Puzzle)
Mainichi Issho (Sony, Action) -no demo available-
Ridge Racer 7 Demo (Bandai Namco, Rennspiel)

PS1 games:

Biohazard Director's Cut (Capcom)
Konami Antics MSX Collection Vol. 1 (Konami)
Konami Antics MSX Collection Vol. 2 (Konami)
Bishi Bashi Special (Konami)
Arc The Lad (Sony)
Jumping Flash! (Sony)
Everybody's Golf 2 (Sony)
Silent Bomber (Bandai Namco)
Tekken 2 (Bandai Namco)
Mr. Driller (Bandai Namco)
Wow.

Here's the original from Gamefront:

Quote:
PlayStation Network startet am 11.11.06 in Japan / Erste PlayStation Store Titel

26.10.06 - Sony gibt bekannt, dass das PlayStation Network für die PS3 am 11.11.06 in Japan seine Arbeit aufnehmen wird: Damit sind Online-Spiele, Chat, Freundeslisten, das Herunterladen neuer (auch kostenpflichtiger) Inhalte oder Videos, uvm. zur Markteinführung der Konsole möglich.

Im PlayStation Store kann man Demos herunterladen und Spiele kaufen. Folgende neuen PS3-Spiele sind einschließlich einer kostenlosen Demo-Version erhältlich:

Blast Factor (Sony, Action)
flOw (Sony, Action)
Lemmings 2 (Sony, Puzzle)
Kazuo (Sony, Puzzle)
Puzzle (Sony, Puzzle)
Mainichi Issho (Sony, Action) -kein Demo erhältlich-
Ridge Racer 7 Demo (Bandai Namco, Rennspiel)

Im Menüpunkt GAME ARCHIVES sind PlayStation-Klassiker zu finden, zu denen jeden Monat etwa zehn neue Titel kommen sollen. Nach dem Download via PS3, kann auf PSP gespielt werden (auf PS3 sollen die Titel erst zu einem späteren Zeitpunkt spielbar sein):

Biohazard Director's Cut (Capcom)
Konami Antics MSX Collection Vol. 1 (Konami)
Konami Antics MSX Collection Vol. 2 (Konami)
Bishi Bashi Special (Konami)
Arc The Lad (Sony)
Jumping Flash! (Sony)
Everybody's Golf 2 (Sony)
Silent Bomber (Bandai Namco)
Tekken 2 (Bandai Namco)
Mr. Driller (Bandai Namco)
The info there says:

Quote:
Im PlayStation Store kann man Demos herunterladen und Spiele kaufen. Folgende neuen PS3-Spiele sind einschließlich einer kostenlosen Demo-Version erhältlich:
Originally Posted by jarosh @ GAF
download demos and buy games from the playstation store. the following new ps3 games are available (including free demos):
Quote:
Im Menüpunkt GAME ARCHIVES sind PlayStation-Klassiker zu finden, zu denen jeden Monat etwa zehn neue Titel kommen sollen. Nach dem Download via PS3, kann auf PSP gespielt werden (auf PS3 sollen die Titel erst zu einem späteren Zeitpunkt spielbar sein):
Originally Posted by jarosh @ GAF
under GAME ARCHIVES you'll find classic playstation titles. there will be about 10 new titles every month. download to ps3, play them on psp (not yet playable on ps3, will be possible at some point in the future).
Here's the Japanese PS3 demo kiosk:

Spoiler:

Source

Here's the names of the 8 MotorStorm tracks that have been confirmed so far:

Quote:
Coyote Rage
Dust Devil
Raingod Mesa
Sidewinder Gulch
The Grizzly
The Mudpool
The Rock Hopper
The Tenderizer
Motorstorm images:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

VF5 Development information:

Quote:
+ rendered in 1280x768 @ 60fps (the arcade panel is 1366x768 so there are black bars)

+ The development had begun before NVIDIA provided OpenGL perf analyzer, so they developed an in-house tool to maintain 60fps. (vertex in the picture includes that of self-shadow) The bottleneck was not in the AGP bus but in the pixel load.

+ OpenGL2.0 w/ ARB assembler for shader programming. NVIDIA extensions are employed too. (Not all LINDBERGH games are like this, HOD4 is GLSL, VT3 is Cg. So they apparently had some difficulties to transfer VF5's shader code to PS3, but in the case of VT3 it was easier)

+ 1 character = 40K polys, background = 100K - 300K (VF4: 12K and 50K)

+ Basic shadow is done by depth shadow (1024x1024 map) with a screen-coordinate-based mask for anti-aliasing against shadows, though this method can't hide shadow aliasing in up-close shots. NVIDIA shadow (Hardware Percentage Closer Filter) is employed. Adaptive multisampling is a bit too expensive to maintain 60fps because of load fluctuation. VF4 was stencil shadow volume.

+ Shadows on the ground are silhouette projective texture mapping. Far backgrounds have prebaked shadows. Some close backgrounds such as columns in buildings have real shadows generated with depth shadow.

+ Skin, hair, clothes are made with diffuse, specular, and normal maps. Some parts such as Akira's wear has special shaders. Pai's dress is normal mapped with an environmental map mask with diffuse and specular adjusted.

+ Skin has no special shaders such as SSS. Like other parts it is made by adjusting parameters in basic shaders. Female characters have special lighting to reduce shadows.

+ The backlight expression is simple blending of the edge color and the light color when the light comes out of edges. Some irregular cases are corrected by adjusting parameters.

+ There are 4 versions of Dural and 2 among them have special shaders. The one has diffraction simulation by vertex shaders to procedurally generate the rainbow coloring. The other is the refraction version of the first one.

+ VTF (Vertex Texture Fetching) in the NVIDIA GPU is used very widely for VF5. Apparently this function is essential for VF5 since it's very preferable that GPU can do all basic geometry.

+ For water wave simulation, VS reads a FP32 texture height map by VTF, then does displacement mapping to transform vertices on the water. With this FP32 wave height map converted into a normal map, PS does shadow processing. Muddy water is drawn by PS using velocity/power information in FP32 wave height map. Thanks to VTF, VS can detect the collision of water splashes and it's used to generate ripples when each water splash hits the water.

+ The snowfield also uses VTF. Shadows in the snow show pseudo-subsurface-scattering by the texture-space blur.

+ Fog is also produced by VTF. Fog density is represented by a FP32 texture. So fog reacts to characters' movement.

+ The render target buffer is FP16-64. Textures in environmental maps and reflection maps are in the ARGB integer format + luminance information packed in alpha when required. Apparently FP16-64 texture fetch is slow because of filtering and not suitable for 60fps right now.

+ VTF appears in the tone mapping process too. Making an HDR frame into a 1x1 pixel texture, VS reads it by VTF and the vertex pipeline calculates average luminance.

+ An in-house engine does physics simulation. It only processes local collision such as hair and clothes. Character-to-character collision is not suitable for simulation because of the nature of the VF franchise. (VF3 did Inverse Kinematics but it was removed in VF4)
Oh, this is interesting. IGN UK, or is it PSM3, just got a PS3 in. Probably the best shot of the machine and its cables/controller so far.

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Oct 27, 2006 at 07:04 PM.
Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2006, 10:02 AM Local time: Oct 26, 2006, 07:02 AM #1945 of 3592
The PSN (calling it that now, since it seems to be semi-official) store looks really slick. I like that there's free demo versions of the downloadable games, too.

...Those have to be some of the most random gamer icons ever haha. It's cool though. I wonder how many there are to choose from, or if we can upload our own...

How ya doing, buddy?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2006, 12:05 PM #1946 of 3592
I'm sure everyone knows the CD formats the PS3 is compatible with, but IGN's just compiled a list of all the things the machine works with:

Source

Quote:
The hard media has been known for some time, but here's the full list.

# BD-ROM
# BD-R
# BD-RE
# DVD-ROM
# DVD-R
# DVD-RW
# DVD+R
# DVD+RW
# CD-ROM
# CD-R
# CD-RW
# Super Audio CD

The PS3 will also allow you to access a variety of media file formats from the video, music and photo menus of the Cross Media Bar. We're assuming these files can be stored anywhere, including the hard disk and memory cards.

VIDEO
# MPEG-1
# MPEG-2 (PS,TS)
# H.264/MEPG-4 AVC
# MPEG-4 SP

MUSIC
# ATRAC (.oma .msa .aa3)
# AAC (.3gp .mp4)
# MP3 (.mp3)
# WAV (.wav)

IMAGES
# JPEG
# GIF
# PNG
# TIFF
# BMP

DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2006, 06:43 PM #1947 of 3592
I got a dilemma and need a little input. Supposedly toysrus will be doing pre-orders this sunday for PS3. I watch football on sunday starting at 1 pm, so is there any chance I could walk up at 9 am when they open and just pre-order one?

These people with no lives who wait in lines for things like pre-orders piss me off. I have things I have to do and I'm usually always not able to get things like launch systems because of it.

THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Cobalt Katze

Member 224

Level 20.94

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2006, 07:05 PM Local time: Oct 26, 2006, 04:05 PM #1948 of 3592
I'm not understanding how watching football at 1pm hinders pre-ordering a system earlier on in the morning

DragoonKain
Titletown, USA

Member 144

Level 23.83

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2006, 07:12 PM #1949 of 3592
Well I have a get together every sunday and have to call friends, get the food arrangements ready and stuff. Then we all meet up and watch the game at someone's house.

Plus my issue is, I don't know if there is going to be a line. If there is I won't even bother going.

I was speaking idiomatically.
THE PHILADELPHIA PHILLIES ARE YOUR 2008 WORLD SERIES CHAMPIONS.
Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Oct 26, 2006, 07:36 PM #1950 of 3592
Can't someone else arrange it? And why do you have to arrange it on that day? Can't you do it before?... o_O Okay then...

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]
Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread