Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Changing bad Habits

Dekoa
Is now the Tolkein Red Shirt.

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 08:48 AM #1 of 11
Changing bad Habits

I have a problem with some of my habits. One of the things I've been noticing lately is that I have no motivation to get what I want to get done. Now I know that I have good motivation sometimes, however, very recently I've noticed that my motivation has dwindled to the minimum if not evaporated completely. Now with obligations I charge at those head on (for instance Work or Classes [not necesisarily homework]) but for things I want to do (drawing, story writing, Game Planning, Homework) I never get around to. Instead I tend to play games or watch anime. Now I know that part of my problem is the ease of access to anime and games, however I don't want to give them up and I would like to watch them every so often. Are there any tips for handling habits like these?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Dekoa's Friend Quote: "You can't rape the Willing!"

Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:06 AM #2 of 11
I'm having the same problem right now. Procrastination is such an easy trap to fall into. I have a particularly lethal stats exam this Saturday, and although I can always envision myself studying hard (8 lectures to relearn? Better start now!), easy access to unnecessary "preparatory" materials (eg. music on ITunes) makes me set everything up for my usual study conditions but they're not really right at all since the computer is right beside the study table.

Isolation does seem to tremendously help the process. I would actually study if I were to be in a cubicle on one of the campus' libraries. I can still listen to music while studying due to my Ipod, and the best part is that I won't be distracted by the computer with so much things on it, or make excuses to get up and grab something from the fridge. As long as I don't have convenient access to distractions, success comes easier.

Most amazing jew boots
Mojougwe
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 255

Level 20.88

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 10:33 AM #3 of 11
Spoiler:
To kill your procrasination with online business, you can always asked to be banned for a certain length of time. You can unplug the power cable to your modem/router. If using 56k, well, you're just going to have to try and learn to not click on your browser.

Video games are the worst procrasination tools ever. You're sitting there playing a game and what do you say? "Oh, 5 more minutes. I'll get off soon. 4:00, once my clock hits 4:00, I'm stopping! Seriously!" Suuuure. But you keep going because you just initiated a new battle with your character, or fighting some boss. Perhaps doing a quest and you simply must finish it or you'll feel 'incomplete' afterwards.

Overcomming procrasination take discipline, nothing else can work unless someone steps in and forces you to do this or that. If you have to get to the point where you need help like being forced to not play or forcefully reprimanded of your lesiurly items, then you're probably hopeless to help for a while. It's not impossible to overcome procrasination, it's just difficult depending where someone is on that scale of what degree of procrasination they're at.

So the first step ever is to get yourself developing new habits in combating procrasination. I don't mean to literally obliterate any usage of this or that, but to exercise control. Time management. Spend X number of minutes/hours on this and no more. Spend Y minutes/hours on that and no more. Simply takes practice.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Dekoa

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 12:30 PM #4 of 11
Yes I know that it can be done. Are there any other ways though? Hypnotism maybe?

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Mojougwe
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 255

Level 20.88

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 02:52 PM #5 of 11
Hypnotism? Possibly. But you have to be really submissive to it I think. Otherwise, you'll find yourself saying, "HAH! There's no way! No way at all! DOESN'T WORK!"

Otherwise, whip out that phone and call a buddy to grab their bondage gear. You'll most likely need help getting over your procrasinating habits. Isn't that the first step to solving any problem? "Get help!" :P

I was speaking idiomatically.
The Wise Vivi

Member 136

Level 37.96

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 07:22 PM Local time: Oct 9, 2006, 07:22 PM #6 of 11
Stupid discipline! Seriously though....

I have that problem too... I have a hard time getting ahead in the race of studying more than 12 hours before the actual exam.

Destroy ALL videogames, social plans, and study in the library. Library is best place for you for anything school wise.

I tend to work harder on the stuff I enjoy too, but, that doesn't help with the regular stuff that needs to be done.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Erisu Kimu
Stealth Assassin

Member 8250

Level 15.02

Jun 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 09:22 PM #7 of 11
I'm a big-time procrastinator myself. I can't really change the habit all that much, because sooner or later I ALWAYS find something to occupy myself with OTHER than studying. It can even be something as little as just sitting there and looking out the window. I just can't get into the studying without falling asleep unless I'm hellbent on getting an A. I usually get B+ on my projects and tests and sometimes an A, so I'm not too worried. I guess libraries help or wherever there's no distractions. Ah! The temptations of video games, forums, comic books and anime! X__X

FELIPE NO
Dekoa

Member 194

Level 28.24

Mar 2006

Old Oct 9, 2006, 11:23 PM #8 of 11
Well I just broken off ties to my friends (In a way I didn't want to do but it was unfortunate none the less). As soon as I transfer all of my Anime Files to my PC, I'll try start working on my homework during free time at work instead of watching Anime. The only class I'm really worried about with homework is Calculus. However, the thing is that I have to finish a Game design by the end of the summer this school year if I'm to keep up with my schedule for my dream career ( I plan to have at least 4 game designs complete by the time I finish college, I want to have a good portfolio and resume for becoming a Game Designer).

Most amazing jew boots

Bernard Black
I don't mean this in a bad way, but genetically you are a cul-de-sac

Member 518

Level 32.84

Mar 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 04:01 PM Local time: Oct 10, 2006, 09:01 PM #9 of 11
How about combining a procrastinating activity with something you want to get done? I remember what seems like an endless barrage of sleepless nights trying to complete all of my homework for the next day, but just trying to get it done meant I'd stare at the page and then get bored. I started watching very familiar DVDs while I was doing homework, because somehow having that background noise there was easier to work with than silence (or music; I get caught up in lyrics too easily and make mistakes >.<), and occasionally I could pick up on jokes going on in the shows.

I'm not sure if that's something you would find useful, it's kind of like giving yourself too much to do at once and it forces you into motion. I tend to do two or more things at once just to keep myself interested.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Fleshy Fun-Bridge
Hi there!

Member 907

Level 22.05

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 12:25 AM #10 of 11
Have you ever considered that you might be mildly Bipolar?

From my own experience, I get more done in a day if I can start it off with a small 'success'--something productive, even if minor. It kinda starts a ball rolling that just keeps me motivated to get the things done that I would otherwise not like to do. After each accomplishment, I feel rewarded and get a kick of energy that makes me want to do more. The hard part is getting it started. Once I have the momentum, its hard for me to stop.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
---
frodegb
Norwegian

Member 11775

Level 1.73

Aug 2006

Old Oct 12, 2006, 03:18 PM Local time: Oct 12, 2006, 10:18 PM #11 of 11

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
read on the forum: "wow, the more I think of it, the more lol it becomes. You can't date chicks because they don't notice how bad mp3s in 128 kbs are? What sort of defective are you?"

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Quiet Place > Changing bad Habits