Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread
Closed Thread

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:05 PM #1326 of 3592
No, again, that's bullshit. The only difference between the Blu-Ray in the PS3 when compared to others is that some things that would normally be taken care of in hardware, will be done in software to save space.

Aside from that, it's just any old Blu-Ray drive.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

The text is part of the image and the two squires aren't exactly even.
Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:15 PM #1327 of 3592
He also mentioned that Blu-ray players are more than $1000; The PS3 is less, hence his assumption, I guess. Lol.

But anywho, thanks for clearing that out. Scared me =/

FELIPE NO

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:18 PM #1328 of 3592
Originally Posted by Sepharite
He also mentioned that Blu-ray players are more than $1000; The PS3 is less, hence his assumption, I guess. Lol.

Again, it's less because it's only a drive and laser. If the rest of the hardware was there, it's surely be far higher. Your teacher or whatever sounds like a shill, or at the very least someone with a very transparent agenda.

Oh, and NP.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:34 PM #1329 of 3592
But it play Blu-Ray movies, right?

And my teacher has ADD/OCD. So he likes to make things up. =/

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Want obscure Classical Music CDs? Search: http://www.lib.uwo.ca/ PM me the code, I'll rip it for ya [MAX 2 CDS/User]
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:37 PM #1330 of 3592
Yes, that's why it's called a Blu-Ray drive. It plays said discs, along with DVDs.

Photo of RR7 @ 1080p running at 60fps. Taken by DCharlie of GAF.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Last edited by Metal Sphere; Sep 26, 2006 at 10:26 PM.
Sepharite
The Source

Member 328

Level 29.80

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:45 PM #1331 of 3592
So, it's more or less exactly the same as Blu-ray players (excluding useless "hardware"). >_>

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 08:51 PM #1332 of 3592
Essentually. It's basically equivelent to how the PS2 was in it's early days. (though DVD was a bit more established here at that point then Blu-Ray is now) The fast-forward and other features may be a bit more choppy then that of a normal BR player, but idealy it's a BR player stuck inside that baby. When they re-design the PS3 four years from now (if they do), it'll probably be more of a consumer level player... if the format takes off.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:36 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 12:36 PM #1333 of 3592
Originally Posted by Sepharite

Humorously, I noticed a drastic increase in blu-ray prices just after the PS3s release. Although, the PS3 is still cheaper than the original prices, I found it interesting they further increased the prices to increase the 'good deal'.

Some of those new screenies look real impressive. Maybe when the PS4 comes out the PS3 will be affordable ;.; My friend is planning on getting one, so that should hold me over till a few price drops occur.

Originally Posted by Slayer X
Essentually. It's basically equivelent to how the PS2 was in it's early days. (though DVD was a bit more established here at that point then Blu-Ray is now) The fast-forward and other features may be a bit more choppy then that of a normal BR player, but idealy it's a BR player stuck inside that baby. When they re-design the PS3 four years from now (if they do), it'll probably be more of a consumer level player... if the format takes off.
DVDs were destined to succeed, due to the cheaper manifacture cost and the higher quality. The PS2 drastically helped them become established, but it'd of happened sooner or later. The only disadvantage was the inability to record onto DVD at the time. Everything else was bigger, better, and cheaper.

I was speaking idiomatically.
FFXI - Asura - Brd :3

Last edited by avanent; Sep 26, 2006 at 10:59 PM.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:39 PM #1334 of 3592
Originally Posted by avanent
Humorously, I noticed a drastic increase in blu-ray prices just after the PS3s release. Although, the PS3 is still cheaper than the original prices, I found it interesting they further increased the prices to increase the 'good deal'.
You from the future? Stock tips, NOW.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 10:57 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 12:57 PM #1335 of 3592
Originally Posted by Metal Sphere
You from the future? Stock tips, NOW.
lol, left out a word or two. Right after the PS3 prices were released, all the prices round here for blue ray increased.

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:01 PM #1336 of 3592
That's strange, the prices should've just stayed the same. Why local stores would be bumping prices up for movies because games were confirmed $60.00 is beyond me.

avanent
heart eater

Member 1462

Level 19.73

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:03 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 01:03 PM #1337 of 3592
:doh:

lol, good lord, im still leaving words out. I didn't check the actual blue ray disc prices, I meant the players themselves

Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 26, 2006, 11:09 PM #1338 of 3592
Oh, damn. Must be late over there, eh? I guess they're bumping the prices up to look like far more premium pieces of equipment. Think about it, you don't want to be asking 750-800 for your player which only plays movies against a unit real close in price that does much more.

Mercury
Flaore la ureque!

Member 525

Level 5.43

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 10:48 AM #1339 of 3592
Houlla! It's getting closer…

Hmm, all I’ve seen so far in 1080p are GT:HD and RR7 (both racing games). You guys that follow all of this very, very closely, have any other games be seen/announced/planned/whispered-about in 1080p? I mean not even an RPG as surfaced in 1080p; normally RPGs can be played with much lower frame rates than other games, so in theory our favourite kind of game is more prone to 1080p…

Oh-oh, and those PS3 being shown off on those amazing 46” XBR2 sets in the middle of the walkway in every Bestbuy across America (if you haven’t seen the set in question yet, it’s worth a detour to take a look, there are amazing, and 1080p ), its great news, IMO it will indeed make a huge impact on the public.

I remember when the 360 came out, I rolled in a Bestbuy just to take a look, and I had to LOOK HARD to spot the demo stand, only to find the 360 running on a mini 32” display or was it a 26”? But still it was beautiful nonetheless. On the other hand, talking about what Sony is planning, people are gonna have to take an in-store-DETOUR not to see the PS3…

Double Post:
Thinking about that… Thanks for the great info SOLDIER…

I think Sony is on to something big…

As we all know, people often buys on emotion burst (me included :ashamed, and looking at the marketing plan, this is exactly what Sony needs to populate America with PS3s, even at high prices, say the guy is looking for entertainment and he gets impressed by a PS3 demo stand, at that point the price doesn’t even matter, since all stores give the products, now we can finance everything.

The other day, I was at Futureshop (a Canadian Bestbuy kinda store, with commissioned salesmen though) the other day looking at the 46 XBR2, probably looking “conservatly-amazed”. So after 10 min, I say to the salesman:

Merc: Well thanks for your time; I don’t want to take any more of it, since I’m not buying today.
Salesman: Hmm, well, you can finance it, no interest, it’s a great deal.
Merc: Well, thanks, but I always buy luxury items, cash.
Salesman: At our special price, it will be about $100/month! :dealer:
Merc: Will buy cash.:eyebrow:
Salesman: Common, it’s only $100 a month, you’re missing out!
Merc:

Ok, you get the idea, hehe, but imagine that, $100 for a $5K HDTV, you throw in a PS3 and a couple of games in there, and it’s up to about what, $115/month… for the whole system!

AND here’s the point, a lot of people who are in video entertainment will be able to find and justify $115/month for a system like that when recently hit by the emotional “wow-effect” of the PS3 demo stand… and in the US, it will be even cheaper…

Well of course, that's only my opinion, I might by wrong though, that would certainly not be the first time, heh...

All I can say is I can't wait to see what's gonna happen with all of this...

Last edited by Mercury; Sep 27, 2006 at 11:32 AM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:12 PM #1340 of 3592
Some more photos and boxart from the Tokyo Game Show:

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Slayer X
Why do you not draw your sword?

Member 1205

Level 33.36

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 12:28 PM #1341 of 3592
I actually like the cases myself. As mentioned before, the inside boxart is a cool idea that Sony has been doing for the psp games and it's really cool.

The only thing is tht the WarHawk cover looks horrible, but perhaps they'll change it before release. If not though, at least you play the game and not the case so I guess it doesn't really matter that much.

How ya doing, buddy?
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 04:22 PM #1342 of 3592
RadiOPM pretty much confirming Oblivion for PS3. It's also strongly rumored that it has a new faction, higher res textures and improved HDR and AA.

Oh, and some guy on the IGN forums claims he's got the magazine (OPM) already, which has Oblivion on the cover.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 05:52 PM #1343 of 3592
Confirmed, baby.

Quote:
Yes, the rumors are true: Oblivion is heading to PlayStation 3, and an upcoming cover story in Official PlayStation Magazine has the exclusive first look.

Here's what we know so far. The game will introduce a new faction to the Oblivion world, one that's available right at the beginning called Knights of the Nine and described by the developers as "the good Dark Brotherhood." The goal here is to become the Divine Crusader (think part warrior, part priest), and the quest features new locations, characters, armor and weapons.

"Oblivion has these really good character archetypes for evil," says executive producer Todd Howard. "It has the Dark Brotherhood: You get your outfit, you feel like an assassin, you feel like an evil guy, [and] you role-play like an evil guy. We [didn't] have the opposite end of that. There [was] very little reward for being a goody two-shoes."

"As opposed to adding content that allowed your character to just experience new quests, we wanted to create something that allowed your character to become something new," he continues.

Fans may also be excited to hear that the series is heading to PSP in Elder Scrolls Travels: Oblivion, a game that plays very similarly to its big brother but takes place in a completely different setting.

For more information on both games, check out the cover story in the November issue of Official PlayStation Magazine, on store shelves soon. Check out the first screenshots of the PS3 game here, and look for many more in OPM.

PS3 launch confirmed strong, now.

FELIPE NO
Metal Sphere
It's Agrias time.

Member 84

Level 36.59

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 07:11 PM #1344 of 3592
Wow, after seeing White Knight Story, this looks unbelievably underwhelming. Heck, even DMC4 and Motorstorm look much better than that in shots.

Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 07:15 PM #1345 of 3592
I've never played the game, but according to GAF the textures are a bit better than the 360 version, which was far uglier.

Always room to polish until November. Selling it at a slightly lower price ($50) would help too. I'm just glad the game delivers in sheer content.

Pietak
HEY!!!

Member 1652

Level 14.69

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 09:54 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 11:54 PM #1346 of 3592
Oblivion is the most damned addicting game. It really reminds me of Diablo 2 in the sense of battle, but it isn't hack n' slash at all, and actually requires some skill to proceed. The game spreads out in the storyline to such an extent that you feel overwhelmed at first. It is definetly a must-buy if you haven't played it on the PC or Xbox360.

Love it.
SouthJag
Gold Chocobo

Member 1189

Level 30.45

Mar 2006

Old Sep 27, 2006, 09:55 PM Local time: Sep 27, 2006, 09:55 PM #1347 of 3592
Wait a minute. I thought Bethesda already shut down those rumors. Why is it all of a sudden confirmed now? Not that I wouldn't like to believe it (even though I probably won't play it regardless), but this is what, the fourth time it's been brought up?

Reading --
Bleach, Claymore, Chun Rhang Yhur Jhun, NOW,
Zero: Beginning of the Coffin, Black God,
Twelve Kingdoms (novels), History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi
Watching --
Bleach
Playing --
Fable II, Valkyria Chronicles, Guitar Hero: World Tour,
Star Ocean: First Departure, LittleBigPlanet,
MegaMan 9, Mirror's Edge
Infernal Monkey
TEAM MENSA

Member 15

Level 45.57

Feb 2006

Old Sep 28, 2006, 01:20 AM Local time: Sep 28, 2006, 04:20 PM #1348 of 3592
"Hey I read somewhere that Oblivion is coming to PS3, this true guys?"
"Hmmmm, no! Tee hee"
"GIRLISH LAUGH! TIME TO RUN TO THE INTERNET, OBLIVION CONFIRMED!"
"No no really, come on, it's not. Come on. Ssh"
"Oh damn, but are you even thinking about it?"
"We're very busy right now, too busy to think"
"BUSY PORTING IT TO PS3? CONFIRMED AGAIN! TO THE INTERNET!"
"Naw naw. Naw. Come on now. Come on. Stop that"

*Months later*

"HAHA, OBLIVION FOR PS3! SURPRISE!"
"Oh okay cool"
"YEAH BUT.. IT WAS A GOOD SURPRISE RIGHT?"
"I suppose"
"... YEAH BUT.. COME ON, WE DID OUR BEST TO NOT LEAK THIS..."
"Mmm hmm"
"FUCK YOU"

How ya doing, buddy?
Soldier
Hero of Twilight

Member 98

Level 35.79

Mar 2006

Old Sep 28, 2006, 01:38 AM #1349 of 3592
New game: Dreamers

Quote:
What is the basic storyline of "Dreamers"?

Dreamers is a game about a young man in his 20's (Jorge) who suffers from a bizarre form of narcolepsy. He experiences sudden and uncontrollable attacks of deep sleep, sometimes accompanied by paralysis and hallucinations, which can occur at anytime and anywhere. More importantly, they cause him to dream...

Lately, these attacks have started to occur more often, appear to last longer and somehow have become harder to wake up from - unless he is able to find a way out of the dreams they bring. Afraid for his life, Jorge begins a quest to discover the reasons why his illness is getting worse, which is a race against not only the mystery of his predicament, but also a race against time before his next, and unavoidable – and quite possibly his last - deep sleep attack.

The game hopes to be an exhilarating adventure that has players race against time and face their own fears as they journey through a variety of levels spanning from dreams and nightmares, to vast beautiful mystical dream worlds and some real-life locations of beautiful Greece in which the game story is set.
Spoiler:
holy shit, they actually created a character with the same name as me. Never thought I'd see the day.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Kilroy
Mountain Chocobo

Member 1023

Level 27.04

Mar 2006

Old Sep 28, 2006, 01:52 AM Local time: Sep 28, 2006, 08:52 AM #1350 of 3592
A game with a enemy with a toothy vagina? I'd so hit it.
I remember reading about that game some years ago... What happened with it. Probably went to sleep.... *Badum-tsh*

That giant octopus thing looks great though. Warms my Cthulhu addicted heart.

How ya doing, buddy?

Closed Thread

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PS3] PlayStation 3 Discussion Thread