Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Resume is an art, right? (Aw, fuck it, no content in here anyway).

Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Jan 8, 2014, 08:37 PM 2 #1 of 15
Haven't looked at it yet, but if we're talking about food, I think it's "palate" instead of "palette" or "pallet."

Eric, I would reformat the entire thing. There are a few "standard" resume formats out there. It's a fair bet that hiring departments will be looking for something in a format similar to one of those. I am partial to the chronological format myself:

http://www.wikihow.com/Write-a-Chronological-Resume

Your resume as it is now is really fluffy. I think you could probably cut it down to just one page. Your secondary education doesn't need to be half a page long. Put the actual degrees or certificates you earned, and put the relevant degree you're currently pursuing, but I would take out the pieces of it where you list a major or a class taken.

You might want to add more detail into your work experience as well. You have what your primary duties were for each job, but at any time at those jobs did you accept responsibilities that were not part of those regular duties, or do something outside the normal course of work? Did you do anything that stood out, or that you, personally, were proud of? You might want to add information like that.

I would also suggest getting rid of the awards/achievements thing. If the position you're applying for will or has the potential to involve office work, then include your proficiency in MS office in a professional skills/certifications section along with your food handler's permit. I think you can dump the GPA achievements though. You've been in the workforce for over 6 years, so at this point, your work should be speaking far more strongly than your performance in school. I think including it undermines your work performance.

I think the extracurriculars are great. Need to work on the phrasing of some of it, but get rid of your name, address, etc on the second page.

In summary, have maybe four sections: education, professional skills/certifications, work experience, extracurriculars. Flesh out work experience and extracurriculars with exceptional accomplishments in addition to basic duties. Narrow down education and kill some of the fluff. I think you'll be more successful with a leaner resume that is targeted to your position than a longer one with a broader scope. Keep in mind that the hiring manager will be reviewing multiple documents. If it's hard for him to find the interesting parts, he won't bother looking for them.

One last thought. The point of a resume is to present work and education experience in a summary format in a way that will allow someone reading it to quickly assess whether you are a good candidate for a position. Your guiding principles should be clarity and brevity. Don't feel like you need to copy a specific format rote, just make sure that the information you want to communicate is easily accessible to the person reading it.

Finally, if you want to shoot me an email address, I will send you my resume as another example.

How ya doing, buddy?

Last edited by Radez; Jan 8, 2014 at 09:04 PM.
Radez
Holy Chocobo

Member 2915

Level 31.81

Mar 2006

Old Jan 9, 2014, 08:47 PM #2 of 15
Man, Shin, I don't know that I would invest the time to read through that wall of text to figure out if you're useful to me. What I've looked for in resumes that I've reviewed has been evidence that they can do the job and then evidence of qualities that will add value beyond that. Bullet points are perfect for that. The wordier something gets, the less I pay attention, probably in part because the likelihood of bullshit is inversely proportional to wordcount.

There's nowhere I can't reach.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > The Creators' Cafe > Resume is an art, right? (Aw, fuck it, no content in here anyway).