Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Battle Royale remake

soulsteelgray
And now for something new

Member 451

Level 18.41

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 01:49 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 12:49 PM #1 of 52
Battle Royale remake

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=14899

Quote:
New Line Cinema has bought the remake rights to the controversial Japanese sci-fi film Battle Royale and set up the project with Neal Moritz and Roy Lee, reports Variety.

The original film, produced by Toie and released in 2000 amid concerns about its violence, is set in an apocalyptic future in which schools are overrun by uncontrolled violence; the government responds by organizing an annual Battle Royale, in which a school class is picked at random and students are pitted against each other on an abandoned island in a game of survival.

Toie also produced a sequel in 2003, Battle Royale II -- Requiem, in which a new class of teen students are forced to battle a rebel group let by a survivor of a previous Battle Royale.
Well. I never expected to see this headline.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 01:52 PM #2 of 52
Um.

Most controversial movie of the next few years, right here. Unless...

Just watch, they'll change it to either a college class or just random adults placed on an island to avoid having kids killing kids (which was the whole damn draw of the original).

I mean, there's already a cool movie about adults chosen to kill each other off to survive (it was called Series 7).

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 03:20 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 10:20 PM #3 of 52
Hey maybe they can use the slut girl more here, nude scenes and stuff. =D.
This could be good or it could be bad, depends on the cast.

no homo
Jan
Lemon Laudanum

Member 64

Level 28.08

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 04:53 PM #4 of 52
Needs moar Kitano!

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
[/RIGHT]
Tawnee Van Pelt
Everybody Hertz

Member 227

Level 23.36

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 04:59 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 03:59 PM #5 of 52
Nothing good will come out of this. The end will be another americanized movie without substance.

I was speaking idiomatically.

K_ Takahashi
Banned

Member 2103

Level 26.24

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 05:54 PM #6 of 52
Originally Posted by JazzFlight

Just watch, they'll change it to either a college class or just random adults placed on an island to avoid having kids killing kids (which was the whole damn draw of the original).
Because shit like this will cause more school shootings.

Though, I wonder with this remake a hopefull official R1 DVD release of the original, like most Asian remakes.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Weapon
FK in the coffee

Member 4644

Level 8.12

Apr 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 07:16 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 10:16 AM #7 of 52
I can't see anything good comming out of this....I guess I'll wait and see.
So, will this be based on part BR 1 or BR 2?

FELIPE NO
Wall Feces
Holy Cow! What Happened!

Member 493

Level 46.34

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 07:41 PM #8 of 52
I'm guessing BR 1, but still, they'll find a way to make it suck. My guess is they will throw too much focus on the "apocolypic future" and will probably make the children like the kids in The Road Warrior. Great.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 08:18 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 10:18 PM #9 of 52
Interesting news. I enjoyed the first Battle Royale, as it felt fresh in a weird sort of way. Hopefully the remake will maintain the kind of raw and brutalness even if they have to make changes here and there to make it suitable for the audience.

Kolba
-

Member 446

Level 30.06

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 08:26 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 02:26 AM #10 of 52
I'm worried the subtle aspects behind the characterisation of Robotic Uzi Guy will be totally lost in a remake.

JasonTerminator
Sup staypuft.

Member 1276

Level 19.09

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 08:29 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 06:29 PM #11 of 52
I spent a fortune to get the R0 UK NTSC release of the original because I felt it would never get a R1 release. Now, I'm sure it will.

Dammit.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Pez

Member 4367

Level 10.22

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 09:14 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 01:14 PM #12 of 52
I don't remember BR being very 'sci fi'... Anyway, if there's going to be a remake, I expect it will be more consumer friendly which will certainly take the edge and shock value off the original.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
ruixiong89
clairvoyance

Member 8166

Level 3.31

Jun 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:05 PM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 11:05 AM #13 of 52
I thought BR was an amazing show. It was no doubt violent, but it explored an even darker side of that. How just in one moment a fatal mistake can dictate the death of everyone. I'll never forget the scene where the Japanese girl who eats the soup dies and it leads onto a chain of events that gets everyone killed. The mistrust, suspicion and doubt, it's more of an exploration of the human psyche and I think that's what makes this show interesting.

However, I think the no doubt this "americanized" version will be thrashy. I hated all remakes of the Japanese to the English, EVEN the most basic things like voiceovers (I totally HATE all Final Fantasy English voiceovers as well as those for animes *yucks yucks yucks*) so I don't think I will be a huge fan of this new movie. Just look at the Dead or Alive series. They're going to make it into a movie and it just looks horrendously thumbs down.

Still, going to keep my options open. No doubt this show will be filled with gory elements but whether it still keeps the true sanity and meaning behind the story is another thing.

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:13 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 08:13 PM #14 of 52
Why the hell are they remaking this right now. The original just came out a few years ago, and even then it wasn't very good. Maybe this time they can do it right: I'm talking about Rambo vs. Ash Williams vs. El Mariachi vs. The Man With No Name vs. Frank Zappa himself (note: Frank Zappa will win). Or if they can't afford that, at least give us a villain who doesn't look like an even more effeminate version of David Bowie.

Double Post:
Originally Posted by ruixiong89
However, I think the no doubt this "americanized" version will be thrashy.
Yes, the satan-worshipping vampire nazis at the production studio are sitting around their table sipping glasses of blood, diabolically twisting their mustaches and asking themselves "How exactly can we butcher this by Americanizing it?" just to antagonize waps all over the world.

Last edited by kuttlas; Jun 8, 2006 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Automerged additional post.
Cobra Commander
Gots to Dominate!

Member 7345

Level 13.25

May 2006

Old Jun 8, 2006, 10:19 PM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 05:19 PM #15 of 52
I gave the original BR a dl at the request of a friend of mine, man that show was certainly different and nothing of what I expected. Senseless killing, paranoia, love, and betrayal all wrapped around the most warped concept of a movie.

I don't see how an american remake can do the file justice without just doing the EXACT same thing.

FELIPE NO
joshi
be a man!

Member 1901

Level 8.73

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:00 AM #16 of 52
NOOOOO.
I was beaten to the punch.
there goes my plan for a trilogy that actually does the Battle Royale story and characters justice.

VitaPup
X-Man

Member 4740

Level 14.81

Apr 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:14 AM #17 of 52
Quote:
is set in an apocalyptic future in which schools are overrun by uncontrolled violence; the government responds by organizing an annual Battle Royale, in which a school class is picked at random and students are pitted against each other on an abandoned island in a game of survival.
Does anyone else think that the whole concept of this movie is rather stupid?

Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:23 AM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 12:23 AM #18 of 52
Originally Posted by VitaPup
I take it you don't watch terribly much anime. Gotta just take some things in stride~

It's gonna suck o_o The Ring remake sucked. The Grudge remake sucked. Their sequels sucked. This'll do the same as a result. The American film industry is quite unoriginal. Hence all these damn remakes.

Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

kuttlas
Wonderful Chocobo

Member 824

Level 22.74

Mar 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 12:30 AM Local time: Jun 8, 2006, 10:30 PM #19 of 52
Thank god, I thought I was the only one. Basically, this is half a movie. There is action but no badass hero or plot. It's like the counterpart for Escape from New York (which was plenty badass but had almost no action).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Krelian
everything is moving

Member 6422

Level 41.55

May 2006

Old Jun 9, 2006, 03:12 AM Local time: Jun 9, 2006, 08:12 AM #20 of 52
OH CHRIST NO. It's gonna have whiny jailbait fourteen-year-old American girls kicking the shit out of each other, and not in a good way.

I'm not going to see this. What utter bullshit.

Most amazing jew boots
RABicle
TEHLINK

Member 1049

Level 33.00

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:34 AM Local time: Jun 28, 2006, 12:34 AM #21 of 52
Bumping

Originally Posted by Zip
Hey maybe they can use the slut girl more here, nude scenes and stuff. =D.
This could be good or it could be bad, depends on the cast.
Ha are you kidding? America? If they go ahead and make the characters 14-15 years old they'll totally desexualise the whole thing and probably up the violence.
Expect slut girl to be replaced by white supremecist boy, who'll see the folly in his ways by being saved by black girl.

Regardless, im sick of some of you guys dismissing this remake outright. If you like the original so much why do you expect this one to be so much worse.
I expect a competent remake, with similarly brutal violence, more dramatic dialogue, and less art house scenes. The films themes will be slightly different and made more explicit though a monologue from Binoculars girl. And there will probably be a little less attention to detail and a plot hole thorwn in for good measure.

Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:44 AM #22 of 52
Originally Posted by kuttlas
Thank god, I thought I was the only one. Basically, this is half a movie. There is action but no badass hero or plot.
I guess you should download the original move and watch it then.

Interrobang
What I learned in Boating Class is

Member 411

Level 18.92

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 11:45 AM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 10:45 AM #23 of 52
I don't get it. They can't release the original movie in America, but can get rights to remake it?

The reason Battle Royale doesn't have a US release is because Toei wants an obscene amount of money for what essentially amounts to a indie flick; I'm curious how much New Line paid for the remake rights.

FELIPE NO
splur
Chocobo

Member 2496

Level 14.14

Mar 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:00 PM #24 of 52
Well, looking on the bright side, at least it isn't Disney who is making this movie. But they might as well, it'll suck either way.

[RIGHT]
Aardark
Combustion or something and so on, fuck it

Member 10

Level 40.02

Feb 2006

Old Jun 27, 2006, 12:03 PM Local time: Jun 27, 2006, 07:03 PM #25 of 52
I read that Toei wants about ~2,000,000$ for distribution rights, which doesn't seem like an unreasonable amount, considering that the budget of the film was ~4,500,000$, and it would almost certainly make a lot more than two million dollars in the States (unless it was actually banned).

Nothing wrong with not being strong
Nothing says we need to beat what's wrong
Nothing manmade remains made long
That's a debt we can't back out of

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Battle Royale remake