Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 138 Voting/WEEK 139 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Jul 21, 2008, 08:22 PM #1 of 20
Song of the Week - WEEK 138 Voting/WEEK 139 Nominating

Song of the Week. 125 Weeks and counting.
Week 138 Voting is closed.
Week 139 Nominating is restricted

Results:
1). [18] Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.
2). [17] DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION
3). [16] Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours
4). [14] V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme)
5). [12/8.5] Explosive Racing (Red Book Audio) - Antarctica
6). [12/7.5] Galax (Game Rip) - White Roof (Stage 3)
7). [4] Rocket Knight Adventures (Game Rip) - Final Stage
8). [3] Clive Barker's Jericho Soundtrack CD - Final Confrontation

Tracks:
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Clive Barker's Jericho Soundtrack CD - Final Confrontation
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Explosive Racing (Red Book Audio) - Antarctica
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Galax (Game Rip) - White Roof (Stage 3)
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Rocket Knight Adventures (Game Rip) - Final Stage
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours
Get the Flash Player to play this audio file: V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme)

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums in which this event is being held, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 139 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here is the link to the corresponding thread in the other forum: Soundtrack Central

Most amazing jew boots

Last edited by orion_mk3; Aug 4, 2008 at 08:23 PM.
Rimo
Rise Above It

Member 186

Level 31.23

Mar 2006

Old Jul 24, 2008, 01:16 PM #2 of 20
Clive Barker's Jericho Soundtrack CD - Final Confrontation
Splendid sound and choir performance that could rival those from many films. The composition had no effect on me though; I can listen to the track, but don't feel excited in any way. I guess fans of dark orchestral music might dig it more than I did.

DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION
Delivers both the beauty of classical music and the uplifting energy of techno. Short and sweet, although I wouldn't have frowned upon a longer development.

Explosive Racing (Red Book Audio) - Antarctica
French VGM intrigues me, as I think many great tunes originated from this country. "Antarctica" is one of my relatively recent discoveries, which was used in the rather unpopular sequel to Burning Road. To me, it's the highlight of the soundtrack with it's deep sound, high energy, and good performance. While the vocals are tolerable since they are only present in a small part of the track and they are actually OK (or at least better than those in the other tracks from the game), I could have honestly done without them. Also, the track feels a bit unpolished at times structure and performance-wise. Still, it blows me away (especially with that guitar sound)!

Galax (Game Rip) - White Roof (Stage 3)
Sounds like old arcade music, both for the synthesized sound and the structure. It started OK, but I was deceived by the lack of a strong melody.

Rocket Knight Adventures (Game Rip) - Final Stage
I find it difficult to enjoy industrial music produced by retro sound chips. This one in particular felt like a "wall of sound", not having much hooks I can rely on to memorize the tune. In-game, it must fit well the final stage by creating a tense atmosphere, but when I listened to it while walking my dog, it was a bit too heavy and somewhat of a downer.

Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.
Solid 80's rock tune, doing everything well and being enjoyable to boot! However, it didn't cross the frontier of "greatness" territories in my musical world. The reason is that albeit being good, I found it was rather generic for its category and it somehow got lost in the upper-levels of the mass.

Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours
Isn't it from that real obscure company... umm you know... Falcom? Got a smooth jazzy vibe going on, which I appreciate, and the various instruments in the solos bring forth a good variety even if the basis structure gets repetitive and monotonous after 4 minutes. Interesting tune.

V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme)
This comes from a good album (and musician team). While it's not my fav track ("SeaSide Walker" is, which I nominated here in the past), "Iron Wing" is still a solid piece. While I love the saxophone as an instrument, I unfortunately did not really feel the solo of it at the end of this song. Otherwise, the light mood of the track makes it a good candidate for everyday listens.

------------------

(3 points) Explosive Racing (Red Book Audio) - Antarctica
(1 point) DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION
(1 point) Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.
(1 point) V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme)

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Jul 26, 2008, 03:14 AM #3 of 20
Clive Barker's Jericho Soundtrack CD - Final Confrontation: I'm rarely impressed by this style of music; it sounds like the disposable section of an action movie's closing credits, the part everyone ignores because they're looking for their car keys in the dark and trying to decide if they need to pee. It doesn't hold my interest long for being so dark and overwrought with chorals.

DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION: Decent trance melodies throughout. It's not breaking new soil but it makes good use of what's there. I do wish it were longer, just as it's beginning to satisfy, the composer calls it a day. Is this the typical length of a DJMAX track?

Explosive Racing (Red Book Audio) - Antarctica: I'm completely divided here: The backing instrumentals are interesting and energetic, two things I look for. But the vocal sections are quite underwhelming. They're not as awful as most J-vocals, but they're still not great. Fortunately, it's just the two sections and the rest of the track has an opportunity to work out some nice guitars.
Is this the best quality track that's available? I think the recording needs some cleaning up.

Galax (Game Rip) - White Roof (Stage 3): I'm rather enjoying this one. I've never heard of the game but it sounds like something I'd like. The tone structure of a few sections reminds me of "Marble Madness," and that makes me smile. Actually, this is the kind of music I always felt Marble Madness truly needed. Good stuff.

Rocket Knight Adventures (Game Rip) - Final Stage: I've heard this entire soundtrack before and must confess that I've never felt its charms the way others seem to. It's not horrible but it seems rather average and uninteresting to me. This track in particular has a monotone quality that I dislike. Sorry.

Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.: Love that piano! Actually, the whole track is pretty rockin'. The melody is quite catchy, and the pianos/harpsichord provide great contrast to the guitar work. The synth breakdown at 2:02 is absolutely delightful and keeps the piece from becoming repetitive. Plus, the entire 80s vibe is pretty rad. It's a well-done composition.

Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours: A sort of freestyle jazz number, eh? It's pleasing enough though a little on the insubstantial side at times. Though it stands out well against this week's crop, it does become wandersome and I found my interest waning at the three-minute mark. It's okay but lacks a certain je-ne-sais-quoi.

V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme): Cutesy and fun. It's reminiscient of the VGM styles of the early 90s, but without the technological limitations. It feels a bit average at the beginning but does improve steadily, peaking at the cool saxophone fadeout. Pretty good track.

Ouch, Pointy!

3 Points: Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.
1 Point: Explosive Racing (Red Book Audio) - Antarctica
1 Point: Galax (Game Rip) - White Roof (Stage 3)
1 Point: V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme)

I liked this week, it was a vast improvement over last.

Also, a nomination!!

Album: Racing Lagoon Original Soundtrack
Track Title: Ending
Composers: Noriko Matsueda, Takahito Eguchi
Track Number: 2-26
Year: 1999
Catalog Number: SSCX-10032
Source: VGMdb

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Jul 26, 2008, 09:44 AM #4 of 20
Horrible week.

(3 points) DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION
(2 points) Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.
(1 point) Galax (Game Rip) - White Roof (Stage 3)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Newbie1234
Widowmaker

Member 421

Level 18.72

Mar 2006

Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:30 PM Local time: Jul 27, 2008, 02:30 PM #5 of 20
3 points - Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.
Not amazing, as I've heard very similar songs done better, but still easily the best song of the bunch in my opinion.

2 points - Explosive Racing (Red Book Audio) - Antarctica
The song has sparks of brilliance, but the few bits of singing were painful for me.

1 point - Clive Barker's Jericho Soundtrack CD - Final Confrontation
Very Batman sounding, but I won't complain, I enjoyed it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Liontamer
Leisure Suit Larry in the Land of the Lounge Lizards Larry's Funky House of Lowe OC ReMix

Member 1322

Level 18.85

Mar 2006

Old Jul 29, 2008, 08:40 AM #6 of 20
After the third track of his I've enjoyed, I'm officially an ESTi fan.

3 points: DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION
2 points: Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours
1 point: V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme)
Close: Clive Barker's Jericho Soundtrack CD - Final Confrontation

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
isdapi
Forged in the Pain

Member 1534

Level 20.11

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2008, 12:57 PM Local time: Jul 30, 2008, 07:57 PM #7 of 20
Clive Barker's Jericho Soundtrack CD - Final Confrontation
It's not anything special, it doesn't bring anything new to the table. It's one of those tracks that feel purposeless without context. Very little substance for so much drama.

DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION
The opening violin melody seems to me a complete rip-off of Hisaishi's music, very blatant indeed. Then, it goes through some little interesting electronic stuff and ends. It fails in originality and execution.

Explosive Racing (Red Book Audio) - Antarctica
While I don't quite like the mix and those stupid voices, the rest is good stuff. The guitar performance is the saving grace of this track, a true inspired one.

Galax (Game Rip) - White Roof (Stage 3)
Extremely standard shoot'em up composition, I don't have much to say about this one. Forgettablest tune of this week.

Rocket Knight Adventures (Game Rip) - Final Stage
Ugh, I really despise the horrible texture of that background synth, what a torture. Maybe the composition could redeem this piece, but that's not the case. Disgraceful.

Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.
When I listen the first ten seconds of one track and I know how it is going to develop it, that isn't a good signal. In spite of this, it can become midly enjoyable, which I have into account.

Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours
I had to nominate this one (after all I am a Falcom fanatic), a true rarity among the thousands of Falcom arrangements. You would be hard pressed to find anything remotely similar to this one within Falcom's music catalogue. I understand that this arrangement is not accesible to everyone, but I am sure a few of you can enjoy almost as much as this reviewer or me. Jam session experience.

I will simply add that I adore every bit of 1:28 to the end.

V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme)
Not bad, not good, something in between. I guess the uplifting nature of this track is its more remarkable characteristic but it never goes beyond that. And that sax solo is hilarious and awesome at the same time. What the heck.

<<3 points>> Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours
<<2 points>> Explosive Racing (Red Book Audio) - Antarctica
<<1 point>> V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme)

FELIPE NO
Djinova
Why didn't he just...

Member 2441

Level 23.28

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2008, 06:37 AM #8 of 20
2 Points - DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION: All DJMAX tracks are only that short, because they are "press buttan very fast games" and players are not expected to be doing this for too long or they want to put in as much songs as possible. Most of the stuff is vocal though.

2 Points - Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.: Caught my attention from the beginning.

2 Points - Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours: Caught my attention just recently.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
bishop743
The Liberated Guardian

Member 623

Level 40.29

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2008, 05:02 PM #9 of 20
2 points : V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme)
1 point : Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours
1 point : DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION
1 point : Rocket Knight Adventures (Game Rip) - Final Stage
1 point : Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.

Most amazing jew boots
ZiggyGo
Mountain Chocobo

Member 29067

Level 26.11

Mar 2008

Old Aug 1, 2008, 06:17 PM #10 of 20
After a week hiatus (I was on vacation!), I'm back, but running out of time, as usual.

2 points: Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours

2 points: Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.

2 points: DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION

Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Aug 1, 2008, 06:54 PM Local time: Aug 1, 2008, 03:54 PM #11 of 20
Here are my votes:

3 points » V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme)
2 points » DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION
1 point » Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.

Iron Wing is my nomination. Someone nominated something from V' BALL before, but I feel this is the best track on the album. The sax solo at the end is excessive, but it already got the good stuff across by that point.

I've heard OBLIVION before. It's one of the standout tracks on the album (which I recall mostly being fluff). There is also a rock version of this track; check it out.

Don't be afraid. is pretty good. It's my favorite of the remaining 6.

Additional Spam:
Nomination:

=== Kaleb.G ===
* Album Title: Super Mega Drive Fan - Mega Drive Super Music Collection Vol.2
* Artist: Tenpei Sato
* Track Title: DARK SHADOW [Alshark]
* Source: VGMdb, #gamemp3s
* File Location: INTERNETS (nom folder)
* Disc Number: 1 (of 1)
* Track Number: 8
* Catalogue Number: TIM-SMD02
* Year: 1993

Last edited by Kaleb.G; Aug 2, 2008 at 04:28 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Aug 2, 2008, 04:47 AM Local time: Aug 2, 2008, 11:47 AM #12 of 20
Bizarre week. I wasn't really attached to any of this week's selection.

2 points: Galax (Game Rip) - White Roof (Stage 3)
1 point: Clive Barker's Jericho Soundtrack CD - Final Confrontation
1 point: Explosive Racing (Red Book Audio) - Antarctica
1 point: Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.
1 point: Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours

TheKnightOfNee
Rope Snake

Member 9705

Level 32.27

Jul 2006

Old Aug 3, 2008, 06:14 PM #13 of 20
2 points - Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.
2 points - Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours
1 point - Galax (Game Rip) - White Roof (Stage 3)
1 point - V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme)

I was speaking idiomatically.
Muzza
love me

Member 3476

Level 53.02

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2008, 02:45 AM Local time: Aug 4, 2008, 05:45 PM #14 of 20
Clive Barker's Jericho Soundtrack CD - Final Confrontation, for the most part, is incredibly bland. Not even the quasi-spooky vocals at 2:00 saved this one. I honestly don't know what people see in this music; to me, it's a dull subgenre and you can rarely tell one dramatic orchestral theme from the other. *bZZZt*

ESTi rulz, I really enjoy ESTi. ^__^ I haven't had the pleasure of listening to the soundtrack yet, but I'm not surprised that DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION is a pretty enjoyable piece of light-techno. Not too heavy, and melodic with its sporadic violin and brass samples: this one's a nice listen without jumping out at you or anything.

o.0" Explosive Racing (Red Book Audio) - Antarctica's instrumental aspect was solid, but the vocals absolutely ruined it for me, sorry. Having said that, I really enjoyed the second half (especially the very end, that was cool), so perhaps that'll earn this piece a point.

I'm really enjoying Galax (Game Rip) - White Roof (Stage 3)'s cheese. Very much so! I love the melody and the whole synth style. The B section in particular caught my fancy. My favourite track so far (yes, even better than ESTi!).

Rocket Knight Adventures (Game Rip) - Final Stage has some really entertaining beats, that's for sure. I would have liked to have heard more oomph from my sub wolfer, but it's still a nice little tune.

I've listened to the soundtracks to Really? Really! and Tick! Tack!, but haven't had the pleasure of listening to Shuffle! yet~ Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid. isn't as great as I was expecting, but it's still pretty enjoyable. The melody and rock undercurrents are pretty awesome, but one the whole this piece seem rather standard. Still, this is ok.

Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours sounded like it was trying really hard to impress me but failed. =/ I simply don't appreciate any of the styles or instrumental embellishments of this one, even though that flute melody can be pleasant sometimes (albeit somewhat piercing). Too much going on in this track for my liking.

V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme)'s melody was nice 'n' frivolous 'n' bouncy, and that alone puts it above a couple of the tracks this week. This melody progresses nicely, and while nothing about this piece wows me, it left me incredibly satisfied.

pointastical spread~

2 points: Galax (Game Rip) - White Roof (Stage 3)
2 points: V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme)
1 point: DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION
1 point: Rocket Knight Adventures (Game Rip) - Final Stage
5th: Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid
6th: Explosive Racing (Red Book Audio) - Antarctica
7th: Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours
8th: Clive Barker's Jericho Soundtrack CD - Final Confrontation

I don't know what some of you guys are talking about; this week was actually pretty ok, just with little "wow"ness. I'm really pleased that I actually enjoyed the synthy 90's tracks nominated this time...I usually hate the ones that are nominated.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Last edited by Muzza; Aug 4, 2008 at 02:49 AM.
Duck King
erryday im QUACKIN'

Member 10923

Level 29.90

Aug 2006

Old Aug 4, 2008, 04:44 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2008, 11:44 PM #15 of 20
I have questions.

1: Is this album eligible still? (And what's the eligibility criteria for albums with more than one placing track, if any?)
Originally Posted by Nomination Archive
The King of Fighters '96 Arrange Sound Trax - Long-horned Beetle (Art of Fighting Team Theme)
The King of Fighters '96 Arrange Sound Trax - Saxophone Storm 2 (Yagami Team Theme)
The King of Fighters '96 Arrange Sound Trax - Seoul Road
2: Why hasn't this week's voting closed yet?

THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 4, 2008, 05:16 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2008, 03:16 PM #16 of 20
1: Is this album eligible still? (And what's the eligibility criteria for albums with more than one placing track, if any?)
It is not. Three placements from the same album means disqualification. Two or fewer and it's still good assuming it meets all the other rules.

Quote:
2: Why hasn't this week's voting closed yet?
I left voting open a bit longer than usual because of the low voter turnout. Seems like it worked, because we got two more votes. I'll be closing up in a short bit.

Additional Spam:
Voting is closed and nominations are restricted!

1). [18] Shuffle! Original Soundtrack - Don't be afraid.
2). [17] DJMAX PORTABLE Original Sound Tracks - OBLIVION
3). [16] Sorcerian Super Arrange Version II Plus Sorcerian System Vol.1 - The Choice is Yours
4). [14] V' BALL - Iron Wing (Aircraft Carrier Theme)
5). [12/8.5] Explosive Racing (Red Book Audio) - Antarctica
6). [12/7.5] Galax (Game Rip) - White Roof (Stage 3)
7). [4] Rocket Knight Adventures (Game Rip) - Final Stage
8). [3] Clive Barker's Jericho Soundtrack CD - Final Confrontation

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Undertale (PC, 2015)

Last edited by THE POWER OF WATER; Aug 4, 2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: This member got a little too post happy.
Kaleb.G
Kaleb Grace

Member 13

Level 43.47

Feb 2006

Old Aug 4, 2008, 11:59 PM Local time: Aug 4, 2008, 08:59 PM #17 of 20
I hope the low voter turnout is just because of BSC. I don't want to have to vote every week.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Aug 5, 2008, 12:02 AM #18 of 20
Voter turnout is always low in the mid-summer. This can be chalked up to the BSC and also due to perhaps several routine voters being away from college/school where their access to computers is more routine.

Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Aug 5, 2008, 08:20 AM #19 of 20
Not to mention that extending the voting period to 2 weeks make you forget sometimes about actually voting. :O

Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Aug 5, 2008, 09:50 PM #20 of 20
I missed it for all of the above: BSC, summer, crazy travel schedule, etc.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > [SotW] Song of the Week - WEEK 138 Voting/WEEK 139 Nominating