Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[General Discussion] Pacman is more violent than The Legend of Zelda

value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:47 PM #1 of 14
Pacman is more violent than The Legend of Zelda

At least according to a new study presented before Congress today. Apparently the percentage was calculated by looking at the duration of time a player spends doing violent acts against other characters during a 90 minute play session.

The article mentions this, but this is seriously fucking flawed. This is not a valid indicator of how violent a game is at all. You can play GTA for 90 minutes and not kill or shoot anything; does this make it an E-rated game? Are they trying to suggest games where a little pizza shaped yellow thing is more violent and more of a bad influence than an underage kid wielding weapons against wolves and other huge monsters?

This is why I hate these people that are determined to get video games taken down a peg. They know they have nothing, yet they still try to hyperbole it up.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Gechmir
Did you see anything last night?

Member 629

Level 46.64

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:51 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 09:51 PM #2 of 14
Pacman's pellets he eats are actually Acid pills. You should know this well.

Drugs are the spawn of Lucifer and beget violence. Do not try to argue with these studies. THEY ARE DONE BY EXPERTS, SON~

Congress (as shown in a few past threads with videos included in some) knows jack-shit about video games.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Hey, maybe you should try that thing Chie was talking about.

Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 09:52 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 07:52 PM #3 of 14
Bust a move/bubble bobble promotes the erradication of a particular race of the humans. Oh I don't like the Chinese, so I'm going to aim all Yellow this time. Next time I'll support pollution by taking out all the green marbles. Where's that gif that shows the tetris game taking down the WTC? Yes, game ratings can sometimes be very ridiculous. Oh shit, Pac Man EATING some yellow cheese balls. ILLEGAL.

Most amazing jew boots

- What we all do best -
SOJC
General of the Army of Spoons

Member 10884

Level 5.11

Aug 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:34 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 05:34 AM #4 of 14
Haha, this is hilarious...seriously hilarious...

It's not realistic, it's not logical...just humourous...

I wonder what Pong got...a game where you mercilessly hit a square with two rectangles for the entire time you play it...

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Making the world a spoonier place
Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 10:47 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 08:47 PM #5 of 14
I'm pretty sure there are a large number of things wrong with Pac-Man if delved deep enough. For example, Pac-Man is also a game of gluttony. You have to eat ALL of the dots and any blue ghosts that get in your way. If there's a piece of food on-screen, it must be eaten. This is not a moral we need to be teaching the children nowadays. This is a bad role model. It's not long before Grand Theft Auto: Pac-Land is released.

Twisted logic, indeed.

I was speaking idiomatically.
value tart
FROM THE FLOOR

Member 267

Level 49.52

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:00 PM #6 of 14
Identity Crisis, how can we be entirely sure you're not Jack Thompson?

How ya doing, buddy?
Identity Crisis
Keeping You Warm

Member 11146

Level 26.65

Aug 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:20 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 09:20 PM #7 of 14
Hrm, it seems that my impersonation of a madman worked a bit too well.

Anyway, unsarcastically speaking, these numbers seem to have little to no corellation whatsoever other than the fact that they are video games. I mean, an M rated game was less violent than Pac-Man. According to this study, the ESRB doesn't seem to be doing it's job. This is just plain kooky.

FELIPE NO
Spatula
Politically Incorrect

Member 617

Level 43.41

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:26 PM Local time: Aug 16, 2006, 09:26 PM #8 of 14
I like how they deem that Pac Man eating some food (which is how I interpret it) 99% of the gameplay is MORE VIOLENT in terms of exposure to say, Carl Johnson capping a police officer and taking the bat and beat the crap out him, but sorry, CJ only does this once per hour. No harm there.

Most amazing jew boots

- What we all do best -
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Aug 16, 2006, 11:28 PM #9 of 14
Originally Posted by Spatula
Bust a move/bubble bobble promotes the erradication of a particular race of the humans. Oh I don't like the Chinese, so I'm going to aim all Yellow this time. Next time I'll support pollution by taking out all the green marbles. Where's that gif that shows the tetris game taking down the WTC? Yes, game ratings can sometimes be very ridiculous. Oh shit, Pac Man EATING some yellow cheese balls. ILLEGAL.
LMAO X-D, too funny!

Tetris ought to be banned because it's discrimination against lines! Squares, L's, S's, and T's are fine but when we move out of the shapes and letters territory by making rectangles two blocks larger than they ought to be, look out!

Obviously games like the Adventures of Cookie and Cream are even more lethal because they promote suicide. You'll die over and over in that game and it's apparently okay because you get resurrected and are temporarily invincible afterwards, unlike Mortal Kombat in which you permanently die at the end of a match.

These people were obviously smacked with the silly stick.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
guyinrubbersuit
The Lotus Eater

Member 628

Level 30.15

Mar 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:44 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 09:44 PM #10 of 14
Originally Posted by Gechmir
Congress (as shown in a few past threads with videos included in some) knows jack-shit about video games.

Actually they know alot. Why one of them was an addicted Pong player! :lol:

What an utterly retarded study. Does it matter if I do anything in the game at all? I could play Super Mario Bros. by avoiding all enemies. Ditto to Pac-Man. Hell I could just stand around, or walk around in GTA not hurting anyone. The only thing that is flawed and needs a revamp is Congress.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Rakka
Forgiveness

Member 10978

Level 9.10

Aug 2006

Old Aug 17, 2006, 11:53 PM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 11:53 PM #11 of 14
I can't help but think that weird little studies like this are a hidden blessing. If the senators find this as silly and demeaning, or at least as insulting to their intelligence as gamers do, then it will be a good thing, right?

...of course, the government has done things based off of seriously flawed intelligence before...

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
scotty
I'm not your friend, buddy...

Member 649

Level 24.90

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:04 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 09:04 PM #12 of 14
I feel sorry for kids these days, they are trying to deprive them of any good video games and cartoons that would have been fine for the kids of the 90's. I've noticed alot of kids that don't seem to act their age and are really whiny from all the hand holding and babying going on. I'm sure if a kid plays pacman they will not become like Jeffery Dalmer :eyebrow:

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:25 AM Local time: Aug 17, 2006, 09:25 PM #13 of 14
Quote:
The study found that the classic arcade version of Pac-Man is supposedly 62% violent. In the same study, Dig Dug is 67% violent, Ms. Pac-Man 54.3%
So Ms. Pac-Man, which is the same exact game as Pac-Man, except you have a freckle and a bow, is somehow less violent than its predecessor.

HOW DOES THIS WORK.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Rakka
Forgiveness

Member 10978

Level 9.10

Aug 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 12:38 AM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 12:38 AM #14 of 14
Originally Posted by WolfDemon
So Ms. Pac-Man, which is the same exact game as Pac-Man, except you have a freckle and a bow, is somehow less violent than its predecessor.

HOW DOES THIS WORK.
The only thing I can think of is that the researchers count eating fruits as violent acts, and that they couldn't catch the annoying bouncing fruits in Ms. Pac-Man as often as they could catch the ones in the original.

At least, I think that the fruits in Ms. Pac-Man moved around, didn't they?

Off-topic, but I love your Bionic Commando avatar and sig...and I wonder how Congress would react to Hitler's exploding head.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [General Discussion] Pacman is more violent than The Legend of Zelda