Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Question: Diference between OST Promos, Recording Sessions, etc.

lans
Syklis Green

Member 3426

Level 7.59

Mar 2006

Old Jul 30, 2006, 09:24 PM Local time: Jul 30, 2006, 06:24 PM #1 of 5
Question: Diference between OST Promos, Recording Sessions, etc.

Hi Friends!!!

I have a question about the OST's.
In our days, we have a lot of diferents OSTs, I mean, first released a "NORMAL" OST with the basic music of the Film (but this almost always are a incompleted OST, we listen the music on the theater and then we listen the music on the OST and we say "heyyy, where are the track of the battle?" or something like that.)

Later, we have the surprise of the realese of the OST "Recording Sessions" with more music!!! (This kind of OST have music that are not used on the Film!!!, sometimes are excellent tracks!!! or alternate versions.)

Then, another surprise, a PROMO realese!!!, heyy another one???, then a lot of questions eg. (more music?, new version?, recopilation?, unrealesed tracks?, ...).

The question is... Someone have info about the diference of this OST's???.

I hope that you can help us to know more about this versions.
I just want info, because (in my case) always listed all the versions released of my favorites OSTs NORMAL, PROMO, RECORDING SESSIONS, COMPLETE, EXPANDED,..
Thanks to everyone!!!.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Musharraf
So Call Me Maybe

Member 20

Level 52.53

Feb 2006

Old Jul 31, 2006, 01:24 AM Local time: Jul 31, 2006, 07:24 AM #2 of 5
Moved to Media Center since it's not really a request but a couple of questions

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Cal
_

Member 76

Level 25.37

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2006, 03:35 AM Local time: Jul 31, 2006, 06:35 PM #3 of 5
Studio orchestras record the music (the rec sessions), the music gets edited/mixed for the film and gets edited for album release (uncertain as to whether these are separate tasks done by differene people or what). That album is the OST: Original Sound Track. There are song soundtracks and there are original score soundtracks, as well as hybrids. Score material is often omitted from the final album release for presentational reasons, union restrictions and other shit LeHah will surely expand upon.

The promo is a promotional-issue volume for producers/directors, advertising agencies, other non-industry professionals, etc. Get your name out there as a composer, get your writing used for other commercial purposes besides cinema, etc.

The recording sessions are pretty much all the rehearsal tidbits some people are anal enough to actually want (only in exceptionally few cases are the rec sessions even worth the megabytes required to store them, let alone the time required to listen to them, in my opinion).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
LlooooydGEEEOOORGE

Last edited by Cal; Jul 31, 2006 at 03:37 AM.
Misogynyst Gynecologist
In A Way, He Died In Every War

Member 389

Level 49.28

Mar 2006

Old Jul 31, 2006, 11:13 AM #4 of 5
Originally Posted by Cal
Score material is often omitted from the final album release for presentational reasons, union restrictions and other shit LeHah will surely expand upon.
Nope - you pretty much covered everything. Many "recording session" albums are from their raw, unedited form. Depending on the age of the masters, the quality varries but it's usually about as good as any bootleg you can find, complete with hissy background. Often, you can hear the conductor give directions to the orchestra or the "clapperboard" to signal what take is what (3M5 or 3M7a, for example). Good examples of this would be the recording session with Young Sherlock Holmes or the FSM release of On Dangerous Ground, where you hear Herrmann yell at the orchestra for being off-beat.

Quote:
Are there many of those available, Cal?
Several. I don't know of ALL of them myself but if there is a score writte, theres a recording session master out there somewhere (though not for public use)

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
lans
Syklis Green

Member 3426

Level 7.59

Mar 2006

Old Aug 1, 2006, 12:08 AM Local time: Jul 31, 2006, 09:08 PM #5 of 5
Wow, excellent information...

So, We can say that all this material, is OFFICIAL, but the funtion on the market is diferent. I like a lor the "REcording Session" because we have a lot of extra music!!!.

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > Question: Diference between OST Promos, Recording Sessions, etc.