Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Best CD Imaging Program?

Kaiten
Everything new is old again

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 02:02 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 12:02 AM #1 of 12
Best CD Imaging Program?

Right now I use Alcohol 120% for all my CD copying needs, but something concerns me. When I make a BIN/CUE backup of a mixed mode CD (aka Yellow Book: Data track and Audio Track(s) single session CD), the audio tracks have the first two seconds of the audio cut off. I don't know if the CUE sheet creation in Alcohol 120% is flawed, but I want to make perfect BIN/CUE rips of my copy of Sega CD games (and some PC games).

But I digress from my thread title (not to mention the above is more of a help thread question/rant)...
What I'm wondering is what you think the best CD copying program is. As you can see, I'd say Alcohol except for the above problem. I'd like to see what you say the best program is.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
PUG1911
I expected someone like you. What did you expect?

Member 2001

Level 17.98

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 04:20 AM #2 of 12
CloneCD worked really well for me when I used it. Between the two, CloneCD was able to duplicate some stuff that Alcohol wasn't able to do. These were software dvds without audio tracks, and a couple of years ago, but those were my results.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
"The avalanche has already started. It is too late for the pebbles to vote."
Luxo
Hey! Listen!

Member 2675

Level 22.25

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 11:33 AM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 10:33 AM #3 of 12
CloneCD would be the best for a simple, raw copy. Other programs try to adjust the results ever so slightly, while CloneCD just copies it.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Vibrate
evilboris
*stare*

Member 309

Level 24.31

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 12:54 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 06:54 PM #4 of 12
Alcohol does indeed have flawed bin/cue engine - the problem is known but the developers appearantly don't give a shit. Use CDRWin or Blindwrite 4 for creating bin/cue dumps.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 01:09 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 11:09 AM #5 of 12
Originally Posted by evilboris
Alcohol does indeed have flawed bin/cue engine - the problem is known but the developers appearantly don't give a shit. Use CDRWin or Blindwrite 4 for creating bin/cue dumps.
I noticed something funny, if I opened up the CUE sheet in notepad and subtracted two seconds from the start time in all audio tracks past Track 2, they played back correctly! I guess Alchol can extract BINs correctlt, it just creates bad CUE sheets.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Little Shithead
prettiest miku

Member 90

Level 33.52

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 01:59 PM #6 of 12
So uh, what's stopping you from using MDF/MDS.

Unless you're actually mass dristributing these disc images.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Kaiten

Member 613

Level 29.60

Mar 2006

Old Mar 31, 2006, 02:14 PM Local time: Mar 31, 2006, 12:14 PM #7 of 12
Originally Posted by Merv Burger
So uh, what's stopping you from using MDF/MDS.

Unless you're actually mass dristributing these disc images.
I use Kega Fusion to read these files, Kega natively supports ISO and BIN/CUE. While I could use daemon tools, I prefer the way Fusion handles the BIN/CUE (daemon tools + Kega fusion makes the CD image read slower than Fusion reading the image directly, this is because I have a slow PC and a low physical RAM, any large amount of hard drive usage greatly slows down page file access, bringing the whole system down).
MDF/MDS images are not supported by Kega Fusion. (EDIT#2)Plus they tend to be larger than BIN/CUE files.

EDIT:
Considering I want to make a perfect copy of a CD, I am mighty curious if I could extract the data track with a ripping program and then have EAC extract the audio, link the two together, and have as perfect of a copy as possible.

EDIT#3: Thanks evilboris, it looks like CDRWin does by far the best job. The only thing it couldn't do is offset correction for the audio tracks, otherwise it was a perfect copy (I verified this by using EAC and comparing the CD image's tracks and that of the real CDs, the tracks were only 12 samples off, my CD-ROM's offset). Blindwrite 4 had missing samples.

FELIPE NO

Last edited by Kaiten; Mar 31, 2006 at 04:46 PM.
Joneswilliamsc
Wark!

Member 35638

Level 1.10

Apr 2010

Old Apr 19, 2010, 01:16 AM #8 of 12
Well i am also using Alcohol 120% for burning CD and DVD. It is a powerful Windows software that makes it easy to create backups of DVDs and CDs. Moreover the program lets you to store your most used CDs as images on your computer. I am using this software from last Three to Four months and i updating its newest version and have no any doubt or confusion against it.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Graffiacane
Ergodic wannabe

Member 2114

Level 8.35

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2010, 01:33 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2010, 03:33 PM 1 #9 of 12
Alcohol never gave me any problem... I use Nero to make backups of my files, but whenever I tried to created or burn an image with it, it was ALWAYS messed up. So, for window$, I recommend Alcohol. I used CloneCD a couple times, it's good too, but I'm not too familiar with it. I never used Alcohol with a mixed mode CD...

Also, are there recommendations for an equivalent software for Linux? Recently I switched from M$ to it, it's much better!

Jam it back in, in the dark.
No. Hard Pass.
Salty for Salt's Sake

Member 27

Level 61.14

Mar 2006

Old Apr 25, 2010, 02:09 PM Local time: Apr 25, 2010, 01:09 PM #10 of 12
Alcohol never gave me any problem... I use Nero to make backups of my files, but whenever I tried to created or burn an image with it, it was ALWAYS messed up. So, for window$, I recommend Alcohol. I used CloneCD a couple times, it's good too, but I'm not too familiar with it. I never used Alcohol with a mixed mode CD...

Also, are there recommendations for an equivalent software for Linux? Recently I switched from M$ to it, it's much better!
Quote:
Recently I switched from M$ to it, it's much better!

Quote:
I switched from M$ to it

Quote:
M$

really?

There's nowhere I can't reach.

John Mayer just asked me, personally, through an assistant, to sing backup on his new CD.

Last edited by No. Hard Pass.; Apr 25, 2010 at 02:13 PM.
LIAR
AND ITS-A ME, WA WA WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH

Member 77

Level 22.22

Mar 2006

Old Apr 26, 2010, 01:34 PM Local time: Apr 26, 2010, 10:34 AM #11 of 12
Fuck it dude, lets go bowling.

Burning on Windows: CDBurnerXP
Burning on Linux: K3B (for KDE), Brasero (for Gnome/XFCE), or cdrecord for command line.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Wakka wakka wakka wakka wakka
MetalShadowX-2
Wark!

Member 35717

Level 1.00

May 2010

Old May 4, 2010, 11:39 AM #12 of 12
what about magic iso..? I thought that was the best.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > Help Desk > Best CD Imaging Program?