Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

Song of the Week - WEEK 90 Voting/WEEK 91 Nominating

orion_mk3
Rogues do it from behind.

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2007, 09:44 PM #1 of 18
Song of the Week - WEEK 90 Voting/WEEK 91 Nominating

Week 90 Voting is closed.
Week 91 Nominating is closed.

Week 90 Voting
The rules for voting can be found here.

Results:
1). [21] Fur Fighters Viggo's Revenge (Game Rip) - New Quack City
2). [18] Immortal - Utopia
3). [17] Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 (Game Rip) - Girls Like Spice
4). [15/12] Dragon Ball Z ~ Super Gokuuden Kakusei Hen (Assault Chapter) - Encounter
5). [15/10] Battle Bakraid - Battle Logic (Stage 7 [VALLEY])
6). [13] Ys III Wanderers from Ys Super Arrange Version - Trading Village of Redmont (Town)
7). [11] Song to Fly - The Man in the Desert
8). [4] Perfect Dark Dual CD Soundtrack - Attack Ship Covert assault

Tracks (links):
Battle Bakraid - Battle Logic (Stage 7 [VALLEY])
Dragon Ball Z ~ Super Gokuuden Kakusei Hen (Assault Chapter) - Encounter
Fur Fighters Viggo's Revenge (Game Rip) - New Quack City
Immortal - Utopia
Perfect Dark Dual CD Soundtrack - Attack Ship Covert assault
Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 (Game Rip) - Girls Like Spice
Song to Fly - The Man in the Desert
Ys III Wanderers from Ys Super Arrange Version - Trading Village of Redmont (Town)

Notes:
If you are a member at more than one of the forums which this event is being held at, please nominate and vote in only ONE of the forums. You may, however, comment in the threads at any of the other forums.

Week 91 Nominating
The Nominations Queue can be found here.
The rules for nominating can be found here.

Here is the link to the corresponding thread in the other forum:
- Soundtrack Central

Jam it back in, in the dark.

Last edited by orion_mk3; Apr 10, 2007 at 11:35 AM.
Crash "Long-Winded Wrong Answer" Landon
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:20 PM #2 of 18
Wow, this was up quick.

Anyhow, I like to get my nominations in nice and early, just to prevent someone else from somehow snagging them first.

Album: Mahou Shoujo Ai 2 Full Arrange Album -Transformation
Track Title: pathetic battle arrange "distortion of the space"
Composer: Hitoshi Sakimoto
Track Number: 9
Year: 2003
Catalog Number: CHCD-1001
Source: Chudah's Corner

I mentioned in the Hitoshi Sakimoto grudgefest thread that the whole argument had inspired me to nominate one of his lesser recognized works. Here it is.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:23 PM #3 of 18
Wow, this was up quick.
We have Drakken to thank for that

I mentioned in the Hitoshi Sakimoto grudgefest thread that the whole argument had inspired me to nominate one of his lesser recognized works. Here it is.
I had the same idea; maybe we should have a Sakimoto Week!

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:27 PM #4 of 18
I certainly wouldn't mind a Sakimoto week. It'd have to be made up entirely of his most obscure stuff, though. It would be really interesting to see if he has more Bubble Ghost Songs or Mad Buffoons just waiting to be found. I'm sure he does.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:30 PM #5 of 18
It's been a while since we had a theme week, yes, but I just blew my big Sakimoto load on that nomination and I really, really dislike changing nominations once I've commited myself to them. I had to really talk myself out of another choice to put that one up; I ain't backing down now.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Golfdish from Hell
Screaming for Vengeance

Member 632

Level 40.53

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2007, 10:41 PM #6 of 18
For argument's sake: If we DO end up having Sakimoto week, is Breath of Fire V eligible? I assume Tactics and XII wouldn't be...I assume Vagrant Story, BoF V and Tactics Advance MIGHT.

My interest is limited, but I'd be interested to see what people come up with. If there are any Bubble Ghosts out there, I'd welcome them.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
I'm taking over this town...
I'm screaming for vengenace...
I'm shouting at the devil...
I'm not dead and I'm not for sale...
Ain't lookin' for nothin' but a good time...
Drakken
Abundant life

Member 2714

Level 43.03

Mar 2006

Old Mar 25, 2007, 11:10 PM #7 of 18
Actually, I'd say no to all three of those. I hardly consider them obscure.

BoF V has gotten exposure from BSC and BBTC, iirc. FFTA's music, while not on the popularity level of a main FF game's music, is still well-enough known. And Vagrant Story is one of his most famous works, no?

FELIPE NO
Check out my original music at my Soundcloud page!

Latest music rips (updated January 10, 2012):

SimCity DS - Jazz/ambient/electronic music including interesting reworkings of songs from the fantastic SimCity 3000 soundtrack
Cold Winter Original Game Music Score - Really cool; dark, full, emotional strings mixed with drums, piano, choir. Kind of like Furious Angels?

Play-Asia - Japanese CDs, game soundtracks, game imports, & more

Last edited by Drakken; Mar 25, 2007 at 11:13 PM.
Dr. Uzuki
Gary Oldman and Morgan Freeman shall be allowed to participate in the film

Member 1753

Level 37.97

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:52 AM Local time: Mar 25, 2007, 09:52 PM #8 of 18
As a note to anyone listening to the mp3 tagged links. New Quack City (my nom) seems to be playing in slow motion.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?

so they may learn the glorious craft of acting from the dear leader
KyleDunamis
Good Chocobo

Member 3720

Level 14.87

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2007, 11:51 AM #9 of 18
I certainly wouldn't mind a Sakimoto week. It'd have to be made up entirely of his most obscure stuff, though. It would be really interesting to see if he has more Bubble Ghost Songs or Mad Buffoons just waiting to be found. I'm sure he does.
Yes, and for two reasons.

1) Everything post-FF Tactics is probably way too popular for SotW, and
2) Everything post-FF Tactics sounds JUST like FF Tactics.

If this week is to be fun at all, it'll have to be more than "Trisection and 7 other songs that desperately want to be Trisection."

Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Mar 26, 2007, 12:26 PM #10 of 18
As a note to anyone listening to the mp3 tagged links. New Quack City (my nom) seems to be playing in slow motion.
Lol, it's sorta funny to listen to it like that.

orion_mk3

Member 1865

Level 52.14

Mar 2006

Old Mar 26, 2007, 01:29 PM #11 of 18
Very strange. I think that the MP3 tags still have some weirdities to be worked out.

The offending stream has been removed.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Mar 27, 2007, 04:46 PM #12 of 18
Here's my next nom...

Artist(s): Takayuki Nakamura
Album/Game Title: OutRun 20th Anniversary Box
Track Title: Speed King
Disc Number: 2 (of 11)
Track Number: 11
Catalog Number: WM-0538~48
Year: 2007
Additional Information: Originally from arcade "OutRunners."

I'll upload soon...

How ya doing, buddy?
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Mar 28, 2007, 05:57 PM #13 of 18
I suppose someone should vote, just to break the ice. Nobody's cast a single point so far, downtime notwithstanding.

Battle Bakraid - Battle Logic (Stage 7 [VALLEY]): This sounds like your standard shmup music. It's still decent, although it didn't really surprise me in any way. The sound quality felt a little flattened, but the melody was workable anyhow. The song's best part is the bass grind that's heard at the beginning and throughout. If there were more done with this sound effect, I think it would've enhanced the track greatly.

Dragon Ball Z ~ Super Gokuuden Kakusei Hen (Assault Chapter) - Encounter: I'm slowly growing an appreciation for Kenji Yamamoto. His work in the DBZ games has been consistent and surprisingly good for a series that I'd presume to have nothing but generic OMG ACTION music. "Encounter" is quite rockin', but doesn't overpower the listener with speed or guitar riffs. Yamamoto took his time and let the piece have fun. This track impressed me considerably.

Fur Fighters Viggo's Revenge (Game Rip) - New Quack City: The ubiquitous funky-fresh track! This one is absolutely brimming with circa-1990 goodness. The fusion elements are quite interesting and it's got a slick sense about itself. No complaints here. New Quack City is a quality track.

Immortal - Utopia: This one is just neat. Throughout the entire piece, I was reminded of different tracks from several old school video games, from Mega Man 2, to Castlevania and others. For a moment I thought it was just going to endlessly repeat the melody, but then it totally changed gears and got better. Not crazy about the slow section with nothing but drums, but that didn't last too long, thankfully. "Utopia" is like the Whitman's Sampler box, in convenient VGM form: so much packed into one small piece.

Perfect Dark Dual CD Soundtrack - Attack Ship Covert assault: Still don't care for this type of music. Sorry.

Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 (Game Rip) - Girls Like Spice: Okay, all "Grrrrl Power" jokes aside, this track is the reason subwoofers were invented. Ridiculously fun and infectiously danceable, "Girls Like Spice" is all about shameless self-indulgence. Get up. Wave your arms. Live a little! And when the mega-bass kicks in at 2:41, just give up. You know your feet are tapping. It's fast, frenetic and just a little cheesy, but Allister Brimble knows what's fun. That's why this track is fucking awesome.

Song to Fly - The Man in the Desert: I expect most work by Yoko Kanno to adhere to a certain level of quality. It's not that I'm so demanding, it's that I know she's always up to the task. Unfortunately, I listened to "The Man In the Desert" and felt as though the usual spark that brings Kanno's work to life was somehow lacking in this track. It's got all the right pieces but they didn't come together in a completely satisfactory way for me. When held against favorites such as "Dance On a Cape of Good Hope" and "Blue Whitecaps" (one of my all-time favorite SotW winners), this one falls short. The chorals felt rather uninspired and the whole progression was too flat; Kanno's capable of so much better.

Ys III Wanderers from Ys Super Arrange Version - Trading Village of Redmont (Town): It's a nomination from DH, so you know it's gonna be solid. Sure enough, "Trading Village" is highly listenable. All the elements come together like a stew, ready for comsumption. Being the fan of jazzy tracks that I am, I can only approve of this piece. Good stuff.

Oy. So much goodness this week. Gotta dispense points somehow.

3 Points: Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 (Game Rip) - Girls Like Spice
1 Point: Fur Fighters Viggo's Revenge (Game Rip) - New Quack City
1 Point: Dragon Ball Z ~ Super Gokuuden Kakusei Hen (Assault Chapter) - Encounter
1 Point: Ys III Wanderers from Ys Super Arrange Version - Trading Village of Redmont (Town)

So, so close - can I just give one more point, please?: Immortal - Utopia

For me, this was a great week. The tracks that I liked, I really liked. The middle-of-the-road tracks were still far above averages from other weeks. There was only one I disliked, but this was only due to the genre; it was still decent within that genre.

Why can't every week have this many gems?

I was speaking idiomatically.
Ceft
Shadow Master

Member 17770

Level 23.80

Jan 2007

Old Mar 28, 2007, 06:53 PM #14 of 18
I suppose someone should vote, just to break the ice. Nobody's cast a single point so far, downtime notwithstanding.
That's what STC is for when GFF is down...
You know I always pride myself for being number 1 in terms of who votes first, and this week is no exception.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:45 AM #15 of 18
I assume we're still taking votes for this, right?

FELIPE NO
Zeio Nut

Member 14

Level 54.72

Feb 2006

Old Apr 10, 2007, 12:49 AM #16 of 18
I assume we're still taking votes for this, right?
Sorry, Chuckster. Many of us found our way to the SoundtrackCentral forums and cast our votes there. Week 90 went an extra seven days, but eventually collected enough votes to determine winners without it feeling like a premature decision.

The results were posted to the SotW main page last night. I suppose in the event of future downtimes, all SotW participants should consider it a knee-jerk reflex to simply post over at STC.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
THE POWER OF WATER
listen here you little shit

Member 45

Level 48.64

Mar 2006

Old Apr 10, 2007, 01:20 AM Local time: Apr 9, 2007, 11:20 PM #17 of 18
I should perhaps post the results?

1). [21] Fur Fighters Viggo's Revenge (Game Rip) - New Quack City
2). [18] Immortal - Utopia
3). [17] Roller Coaster Tycoon 3 (Game Rip) - Girls Like Spice
4). [15/12] Dragon Ball Z ~ Super Gokuuden Kakusei Hen (Assault Chapter) - Encounter
5). [15/10] Battle Bakraid - Battle Logic (Stage 7 [VALLEY])
6). [13] Ys III Wanderers from Ys Super Arrange Version - Trading Village of Redmont (Town)
7). [11] Song to Fly - The Man in the Desert
8). [4] Perfect Dark Dual CD Soundtrack - Attack Ship Covert assault

Undertale (PC, 2015)
Chuckster
Put the nostalgia straight into my veins

Member 321

Level 37.00

Mar 2006

Old Apr 12, 2007, 12:44 AM #18 of 18
Maybe it was for the best that I wasn't around to see my nomination get pounded like a red-headed step child. And we'll ignore the fact that I liked the bottom four better than the top four. On to next week.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Music and Trading > General Game Music Discussion > Song of the Week - WEEK 90 Voting/WEEK 91 Nominating