Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

music you like that annoys the hell out of others

inverarity
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 31575

Level 1.47

Aug 2008

Old Aug 23, 2008, 02:11 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2008, 09:11 AM #1 of 5
music you like that annoys the hell out of others

Everyone has a band, group, or person that hasn't been well received by the general public. The type of music you're sure that only you would want to hear, so you keep it to yourself.

Mine is Sigur Ros. Something about a guy singing falsetto in his own made up language, is something I think not everyone else can appreciate.

So what's your musical secret?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Zephyrin
OOOHHHHhhhhhh YEEEEAAAAHHHHhhhh~!!!1

Member 933

Level 36.14

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2008, 02:16 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2008, 12:16 PM #2 of 5
Besides VGM?

My Chemical Romance. The Used. Fallout Boy.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Basil
Banned

Member 499

Level 48.58

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2008, 05:25 PM Local time: Aug 23, 2008, 04:25 PM #3 of 5
What BigHairyFeet said.

All I ever seem to buy nowadays is movie scores, as that's mainly all I listen to. Being that it's a niche market and all nearly all of the companies that publish them nowadays are internet-based and they limit print runs of seemingly EVERYTHING to a limited number of copies. Which is total bullshit (in one sense) since some have sold out in literally hours of being listed online so those who are inconvenienced by living halfway around the world don't have a chance to buy it since it's gone by the time they get online. Which means the value shoots up to nearly four times the original sale price on eBay. On the other hand, it's good business for the companies and it forces people to buy the CDs because of their limitation. The more CDs they sell, the more profit they have to obtain licenses to print more scores.

But I digress. There's probably only a couple people here in the actual community that enjoy film music to some extent - the rest of them that I know have never even ventured outside of My Stuff. And because film music is all I buy, my family and my relatives always know what I'm buying. I don't mind sharing exactly what I've gotten, although it seems like they don't really care in the end.

I get why film music isn't so popular. Most of it is unmemorable dreck that only really works in context of the movie itself. There's a hell of a lot of gems buried in the trash however. Some of my favorite scores:

Conan the Barbarian (Basil Poledouris)
Link (Jerry Goldsmith)
One Night With the King (J.A.C. Redford)
The Great Mouse Detective (Henry Mancini)
The Mechanic (Jerry Fielding)

There's numerous other scores where I really only enjoy one or two tracks and the rest is blegh. That's pretty much it though - and it's definitely true that the quality of scores has decreased sharply since the Golden and Silver Ages. What's even more odd is how a good chunk of scores from the 80s to now have had commercial releases and are easy to find whereas music from the 70s or older are uncommon or rare. Which... could be why there's a bias against movie music from the mainstream. Only place to really buy them now is off the internet or at secondhand music stores (of which there is only ONE in my city that has a decent/large selection).

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.

Last edited by Basil; Aug 23, 2008 at 06:52 PM. Reason: How the hell could I forget Link. UGH
Klaus
Please... don't touch me.

Member 2469

Level 7.46

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2008, 05:45 PM #4 of 5
The Soundtrack of Wicked, and various other show tunes. And I usually like at least one song from whoever is popular at the moment.

Man, show tunes and soap operas, soon I'll be fully gay.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"So shut your cow-mouth or I'll remove your face by hand before I stop your whore's heart!"
~Victor von Doom
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Aug 23, 2008, 05:51 PM #5 of 5
Dance music (Trance, Techno, etc.), Video Game Soundtracks (Dance Dance Revolution especially) and Showtunes (this one is iffy because some of my friends like musicals, others don't).

I have two groups of friends. One that like craploads of hip-hop and another that likes craploads of Rock music. I'm the lonesome one in the middle with the two genres I stated above. My hip-hop friends say that I should listen to some real music, but there's not a whole lot of hip-hop that I like. Likewise with the rock group, but they don't bitch as much about what music I listen to...

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Media Centre > music you like that annoys the hell out of others