Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

[PC] Quick-saving

Spyer
Yeeeaaaa.

Member 548

Level 18.00

Mar 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 01:31 PM #1 of 14
Quick-saving

I was playing F.E.A.R today and I just happened to realize that I quick-save like every 15-20 seconds. Maybe thats because the game is freaking hard or maybe its just in my nature because I do the same with other games, but not as often. I tend to do it mainly when I clear a room and nothing else is there, but that means a lot of quick-saving. What about you?

Jam it back in, in the dark.
TheReverend
Rising Above The Rest

Member 4709

Level 26.30

Apr 2006

Old Aug 18, 2006, 01:38 PM Local time: Aug 18, 2006, 12:38 PM #2 of 14
I love quicksaving... games without this annoy the tar out of you.

Great example was GoldenEye 007 on N64. Those Perfect Agent modes were hard as hell, and it would take like ten minutes just to get back to the part that would kill you.

Then again, with games like Resident Evil 4, the save system is perfect because the challenge of the game is doing it all right in a row and survival between save points.

In my mind it depends on the game. But any RTS or Turnbased Strategy should have this, and most FPS's too.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
~ Ready To Strike ~
:Currently Playing: League Of Legends(PC), Skyrim(PC), Golden Sun: Lost Age(GBA), Twilight Princess(Wii), Portal2(PC), Dragon Warrior II(NES), Metroid Prime 2: Echoes(GC)
Lukage
High Chocobo

Member 570

Level 40.69

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 01:13 AM Local time: Aug 21, 2006, 01:13 AM #3 of 14
Oblivion. I'll play through with about 400 save files.

"I wonder how bad it will be to kill the quest giver."
*reloads*
"I wonder how much trouble I'll be in if I pickpocket him."
*reloads*
"I wonder if I can punch this daedra to death."
*reloads*

I do it now just because I've played through once...and it's nice to see what all my options are.
Note: The Dark Brotherhood questline can be very short.

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Summonmaster
The best exploding rabbit user there is.

Member 695

Level 43.57

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 11:20 AM #4 of 14
Quicksaving is almost pointless whenever the option is available to me, since almost everytime I choose to quicksave, it accompanies a normal save.

I know when I play a SaGa game I save like mad because it's easy to accidentally stumble onto enemies that can kill you quickly. The one time I chose to be daring, I went ahead and didn't save/quicksave for a while and then I died at some point. Then I had to reload from some point further back in the dungeon which was at least 7 screens back.

Quicksaving doesn't hurt when you want to experiment with certain attacks but don't want to really go on with the expended mp cost, or when you want to see if you can beat a certain enemy. It's a simple button combo press and less than 2 seconds anyways.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
NES Oldskooler
Faust

Member 768

Level 10.31

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 12:41 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2006, 06:41 AM #5 of 14
I personally think that at this point in gaming, it should be unacceptable not to be able to save anywhere you want.

I could understand that back in the earlier days of gaming (at least on consoles), save points were the simplest way to do things, but nowadays I'm pretty annoyed if there's no alternative to just leaving the game paused until I can get back to it.

Come to think of it, though, I can't really think of many PC games (that aren't console ports) that don't let you save anywhere.

How ya doing, buddy?
Rock
Rock me

Member 66

Level 29.37

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 01:00 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2006, 08:00 PM #6 of 14
Quicksaving breaks gameplay. Simple as that. There is no challenge to a game that enables you to save and load the game anytime and anywhere just by pressing a single key.

Most amazing jew boots
JazzFlight
Super Furry Animal

Member 17

Level 29.62

Feb 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 01:18 PM #7 of 14
Originally Posted by Rock
Quicksaving breaks gameplay. Simple as that. There is no challenge to a game that enables you to save and load the game anytime and anywhere just by pressing a single key.
Exactly.

Although, I do think that some Megaman games, and especially Ninja Gaiden (NES) are near-impossible without savestates.

Maybe if a fair balance between the game's original save system and over-use of states is reached (like maybe only saving before a boss or in the middle of the level), then maybe quicksaving wouldn't be cheating as much.

Still, I love abusing savestates.

FELIPE NO
Zip
Desert Camel

Member 1607

Level 25.92

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 02:37 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2006, 09:37 PM #8 of 14
/me beat ninja gaiden when it came out.

How ya doing, buddy?
WolfDemon
Grub Killer

Member 737

Level 27.82

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 03:21 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2006, 12:21 PM #9 of 14
I don't know why everyone says the Megaman games are so hard. 2 gave me a little trouble with that Dragon boss and that room where you had to blow up the mines in a certain order, but I beat every one of those games with almost the greatest of ease. *goes to look for his copy of Megaman Anniversary Collection*

Ninja Gaiden is indeed a daunting task without save states though.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Grawl
WHAT IF I HAD DIED?!

Member 39

Level 34.06

Mar 2006

Old Aug 21, 2006, 03:38 PM Local time: Aug 21, 2006, 10:38 PM #10 of 14
I like quicksaving, even if it's just so I don't have to exit to the menu to save.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
BlueEdge
Chocobo

Member 7460

Level 12.76

May 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 04:23 PM #11 of 14
Quicksaving is like massive cheating.

Which I do, for gba emulator I was playing Summon Night, where you can bash boxes and they may give you an item. Beofre a box, quick save, bash, oh nothing? quick load etc

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
speculative
Hard to believe it was just 5 seasons...

Member 1399

Level 25.03

Mar 2006

Old Aug 22, 2006, 07:19 PM Local time: Aug 22, 2006, 06:19 PM #12 of 14
I think for a game like F.E.A.R. the quicksave is perfect, except that you can get yourself into trouble. I needed a lot of back-up saves on that game, because you can get yourself into a situation where you simply don't have enough armor, ammo, supplies, or powerful weapons to proceed.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
"We are all the sum of our tears. Too little, and the ground is not fertile and nothing can grow there. Too much – the best of us is washed away…" - G'Kar
fiercedeity
LOL FAG!

Member 8055

Level 11.82

Jun 2006

Old Oct 10, 2006, 07:51 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 12:51 AM #13 of 14
This reminds me of an idea I had as a youngster. It was a device that only parents could use so that when they come in and say BED TIME NOW!!! and your about 10 minutes away from a Save point, they just plug the device into your computer and it automatically saves it right there. Now my flaw was that just anyone could buy this, so I decided that you would have to submit DNA samples of you and your child when you bought it to prove that you werent just buying it to use yourself. The idea got more and more ridiculous but I was at the age where I thought it would be feasable lol. Almost as bad as when I came up with a helicopter that flew underwater.... bit of a death trap

Ah the innocence of youth ^^

Oh and I love quick saving, I hate games that require you to do massive bits between saving. I really hated the save system in Resident Evil though, because you would always forget that the ink is in the box and then you wouldnt have room for it.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Domino
-

Member 1180

Level 28.87

Mar 2006

Old Oct 11, 2006, 02:19 PM Local time: Oct 11, 2006, 08:19 PM #14 of 14
I only ever used quicksave once. I can't remember what game it was for, but what I do remember is that it hadn't saved and I had to start again. Since then I have never used quicksave. Besides, I think that using the quicksave option is some aspects of games is cheating.

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Entertainment > Video Gaming > [PC] Quick-saving