Gamingforce Interactive Forums
85239 35211

Go Back   Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion
Register FAQ GFWiki Community Donate Arcade ChocoJournal Calendar

Notices

Welcome to the Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis.
GFF is a community of gaming and music enthusiasts. We have a team of dedicated moderators, constant member-organized activities, and plenty of custom features, including our unique journal system. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ or our GFWiki. You will have to register before you can post. Membership is completely free (and gets rid of the pesky advertisement unit underneath this message).

How (not) to rob a liquor store

nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:14 PM #1 of 13
How (not) to rob a liquor store

Originally Posted by Washington Post
GUNMAN IGNITES FREDERICK INFERNO

A gunman entered a liquor store in Frederick yesterday, shot at police, locked himself in the store during a 30-minute standoff and ignited a fire that engulfed and gutted a two-story shopping plaza along one of the Western Maryland city's major commercial corridors, police said.

James Douglas, 29, of Frederick walked into Jim's Liquors at Antietam Village Center about 12:30 p.m., showed the owner a handgun and told him, "Get out," Frederick Police Lt. Thomas Chase said. Police said the store's owner, whose name they would not release, called Douglas a frequent customer and knew him by a nickname, "Menace."

Nobody else was in the store, Chase said, and the owner left to call police. When two officers pulled up, Douglas fired at least one shot at them through the store's glass door. Police then surrounded the shopping plaza and ordered nearby businesses to lock their doors and windows.

Alone in the store, Douglas called friends and relatives on his cellphone. Police crisis management officers reached him on the line, Chase said.

"While we were negotiating with him, he set the store on fire," Chase said.

Authorities had not located Douglas last night, and police said it is likely that he died in the fire. Nobody else was injured, Chase said.

Douglas apparently lit boxes of liquor to ignite the blaze, which spread quickly and destroyed all 14 stores in the center, Chase said. "It's completely gutted," he said.

The 1970s-era shopping center, in the 1500 block of Opossumtown Pike, is at the heart of Frederick's commercial corridor. Roads around the center were closed for nearly four hours, snarling holiday traffic.

Businesses destroyed in the blaze included a branch of Frederick County Bank, a Dunkin' Donuts, a Quiznos sandwich shop, a medical supply store, a hair salon and a dry cleaner. A restaurant on the bottom floor, Latino Grill, was going to open next week, but it was destroyed.

Police have not determined why Douglas targeted the liquor store but said there are no confirmed past grudges with the owner. Authorities characterized the incident as an attempted armed robbery.

"Anytime a guy walks into a liquor store with a gun, it would draw us to conclude that he's robbing the place," Chase said.
Complete story here. Ten bucks says this plot device shows up on Prison Break at some point.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Shiny McShine
Well, heilo there!

Member 460

Level 13.91

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:22 PM Local time: Feb 19, 2007, 08:22 PM #2 of 13
Ha! what a dumbass...I wonder if he got away...although probably not. Sounds like the fire took everything. Well, sucks for the store owner, that's for sure.

Quote:
"Anytime a guy walks into a liquor store with a gun, it would draw us to conclude that he's robbing the place," Chase said.
Wow. I wonder how many years of Private Investigator school he had to take to learn that one.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
Chaotic
Waltz of the Big Dogs

Member 633

Level 45.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:46 PM #3 of 13
That was smart... Setting fire in a liquor store. :|

This thing is sticky, and I don't like it. I don't appreciate it.
Mucknuggle
Baby shrink

Member 534

Level 37.83

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2007, 10:59 PM #4 of 13
Burning yourself to death is not the smartest thing he could have done... Hello Darwin Award.

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?

Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:04 PM Local time: Feb 19, 2007, 11:04 PM #5 of 13
Uh, it's pretty evident to me that the guy was disturbed, and probably just suicidal. He told the owner to leave for a reason. If he wanted to rob the place, he wouldn't want the owner leaving to call the police.

As a "frequent customer," maybe it was some sort of personal symbolism. Using his vice to fuel his demise. Or something.

I was speaking idiomatically.
Dark Nation
Employed

Member 722

Level 44.20

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:06 PM Local time: Feb 19, 2007, 09:06 PM #6 of 13
Quote:

CAPTAIN OBVIOUS TO THE RESCUE!

What kind of toxic man-thing is happening now?
galen
lost control then i got it back now my position has changed

Member 655

Level 25.35

Mar 2006

Old Feb 19, 2007, 11:59 PM Local time: Feb 19, 2007, 09:59 PM #7 of 13
Opossumtown?

FELIPE NO
The Plane Is A Tiger
Time Traveling Consequences

Member 125

Level 45.61

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:07 AM #8 of 13
Like Skexis said, I'd guess that the guy was suicidal to begin with. If he actually wanted to rob the store then he wouldn't have told the clerk (who he apparently knew) to leave, and then just barricade himself inside while calling family and friends on a cellphone. You don't set fire to a liquor store while trapped inside of it thinking that you'll survive.

I'm more curious about whether he was counting on police evacuating everyone else from the shopping center in time, or wanted to take a few people with him.

What, you don't want my bikini-clad body?
Skexis
Beyond

Member 770

Level 34.03

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:16 AM Local time: Feb 20, 2007, 12:16 AM #9 of 13
Could be faking his death, too. A police negotiation gives you some good witnesses. The question then is what he's running from. Of course, without a body, they might not decide to just let it be.

Jam it back in, in the dark.
Drex
i like presents

Member 973

Level 35.75

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2007, 12:50 AM Local time: Feb 19, 2007, 11:50 PM #10 of 13
Wait, when did Skexis come back? =o Or have I just missed him this whole time?

Anyway, I feel worst for the guy who was going to open that Latino Grill. Hopefully they had active insurance on it before it got off the ground, and hopefully it wasn't someone's dream to open that restaurant, 'cuz that would suck.

There's nowhere I can't reach.
nuttyturnip
Soggy

Member 601

Level 52.11

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2007, 08:24 AM #11 of 13
I think the Latino Grill is a chain, because if I'm not mistaken, one just opened up in Gaithersburg a few months ago. They haven't found a body yet, but they're planning on searching the rubble today in the daylight.

How ya doing, buddy?
Dubble
The Hero of Mouseton VS The Phantom Blot!

Member 297

Level 32.26

Mar 2006

Old Feb 20, 2007, 03:28 PM Local time: Feb 20, 2007, 02:28 PM #12 of 13
Suicidal definately, though no body being found yet does make me wonder....He's probably under a pile of rubble being charred to ash though. Sad. =\

I am a dolphin, do you want me on your body?
lightofeldar007
Larry Oji, Super Moderator, Judge, "Dirge for the Follin" Project Director, VG Frequency Creator

Member 19927

Level 1.86

Feb 2007

Old Feb 20, 2007, 03:50 PM Local time: Feb 20, 2007, 02:50 PM #13 of 13
wow. smart, man. really smart. there is a website somewhere of real news like this, where people do stupid and albeit hilarious things. I have no idea where it's at though. :-(

I was speaking idiomatically.

Exploding Garrmondo Weiner Interactive Swiss Army Penis > Garrmondo Network > General Discussion > How (not) to rob a liquor store